[SPOILER WARNING] Placeholder Shenmue III achievements appearing on SteamDB backend

Yes! Of course they are holding back on A LOT of things. (and it has to be that way)
Remember, Chobu is supposed to be the size of Hong Kong in Shenmue 2 or even bigger.
What we have seen so far?! One of the sreets and litle more...
I keep saying this but I really think the game will surprise many people. Even us the closest fans.

Wasnt it Bailu village + Niaowu combined that was supposed to be approximately the size of Shenmue 2s' Hong Kong? I don't think Chobu by itself is.

I think you're on the right track. I can confirm that in Japanese 生薬 is a word meaning "herbal medicine"

And if you take each kanji on its own and pick from the many meanings they can have, one potential combination is 生=crude and 薬=drug.

crude-drugs-hamidul-kowsar-2-638.jpg

药材 - Yàocái - Medicinal Herbs, Crude Drugs.

Japanese - 生薬 - Shouyaku - Herbal Medicine, crude drug, crude medicine, natural remedy.

So, I guess Nature Medicine is in Shenmue 3. I dont believe in things like homeopathic remedies in real life but I am willing to suspend by disbelief for a game such as Shenmue.

Last edited:
Wasnt it Bailu village + Niaowu combined that was supposed to be approximately the size of Shenmue 2s' Hong Kong? I don't think Chobu by itself is.

I think it is indeed Bailu + Niaowu combined that will approximately be the size of Shenmue 2's Hong Kong (and ~500 NPCs).

Speaking about size and NPCs, here's a question and reply by Yu Suzuki during a Kickstarter Q&A back in July 2015 (#YouaskYu):
Q3; At $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? A; I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

Including the Slacker Backer campaign, Shenmue III raised $7,179,510 and the game looks indeed bigger than Dobuita in terms of scale but who would have expected such a big game? I mean, Hong Kong size is huge and 500 NPCs is an insanely high number. Then comes the dialogue script that is apparently the biggest of the whole Shenmue series. The full voice acting (that wasn't a stretch goal but we are all extremely happy to know it will be fully voice acted, aren't we?), etc...

What I mean is that we (as fans) should consider the Kickstarter stretch goals to be more like draft goals and not contractual obligations per se. Nobody knew what to expect from the crowdfunding campaign and the extremely positive response from the fans back then. Nobody, including Yu Suzuki. I think we are getting a way more polished, deep and true to the series Shenmue III that we could have all dreamed of. I hope YsNet will be able to put as much content as they can in Shenmue III, but I'm sure that whatever they do, it will be for the best and after having considered all the factors involved.

Bailu has several meanings/kanji/spellings

Bailu - (kanji) 白露 "On" readings:

白 - ハク or ビャク- Haku - Byaku
露 - ロウ - Rou
Hiragana - はくろ - Hakuro

白露 = White Dew, as it refers to the 15th of 24 terms in a traditional east Asian calendar of solar terms.
----
Bailu (Kanji) 白鷺 - "On" Readings.

白 - ハク or ビャク- Haku - Byaku
鷺 - ロ - Ro

白鷺 = Little Egret as it refers to a traditional Chinese species of bird.

The "Kun" reading of 白 is しろ (shiro), しら- (Shira [prefix]) or
The "Kun" reading of 露 is - つゆ - Yuu
The "Kun" reading of 鷺 is - さぎ - Saki

So Bailu could be read as Hakuro, Hakuyuu, Hakusaki, Byakuro, Byakuyuu, or Byakusaki.

If Baisha is cut from the game, people will be justified in being pretty upset.

Baisha was a part of the kickstarter, in general. A core aspect of it. People paid for it and it should be there, they also paid for all the stretch goals related to Baisha. It is unacceptable if it is not In the game.
What if the stretch goals were met but within a slightly different format. Not in Baisha but either Bailu or Choubu?

Yes the loss of an area might be annoying but the end result might be better in the long run.

That said I'd understand the discontent from some.

I think it is indeed Bailu + Niaowu combined that will approximately be the size of Shenmue 2's Hong Kong (and ~500 NPCs).

Speaking about size and NPCs, here's a question and reply by Yu Suzuki during a Kickstarter Q&A back in July 2015 (#YouaskYu):

Including the Slacker Backer campaign, Shenmue III raised $7,179,510 and the game looks indeed bigger than Dobuita in terms of scale but who would have expected such a big game? I mean, Hong Kong size is huge and 500 NPCs is an insanely high number. Then comes the dialogue script that is apparently the biggest of the whole Shenmue series. The full voice acting (that wasn't a stretch goal but we are all extremely happy to know it will be fully voice acted, aren't we?), etc...

What I mean is that we (as fans) should consider the Kickstarter stretch goals to be more like draft goals and not contractual obligations per se. Nobody knew what to expect from the crowdfunding campaign and the extremely positive response from the fans back then. Nobody, including Yu Suzuki. I think we are getting a way more polished, deep and true to the series Shenmue III that we could have all dreamed of. I hope YsNet will be able to put as much content as they can in Shenmue III, but I'm sure that whatever they do, it will be for the best and after having considered all the factors involved.

@spud1897
Sorry but no, I cannot accept stretch goals as draft goals. That isnt how crowdfunding works,.and when campaigns start doing things like that it places mistrust in the whole idea of crowdfunding in general. Fans pay money, they should get what they pay for. Say there is a kickstarter for Shenmue 4, why should anyone back it if the Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 didnt deliver basic promises?

Also, take for example when game kickstarters announce additional platforms as stretchgoals. When these goals do not come to fruition they offer not only the option to switch to different platforms but to refund the game altogether. Because when someone wants a game for say, Switch but only a PS4 version releases, they may not want or have a PS4 or any desire to play on anything but their Switch. So, I cant really see any justification for Baisha being removed or moved to a different area just because it was a stretch goal, in fact I believe the opposite in that developers deliver on all of their promises when demanding money for their projects, this includes YSnet, and with further backing from Deep Silver, the slacker backer, and Shibuya Productions, there isnt really isnt any excuses.

What I do find as a reasonable draft goal is release dates. Development takes time, and it is understandable that something thought to release in 2017 should release in 2019.

Last edited:
Guys. We shouldn't be getting worked up over something we have literally zero evidence as happening.

The placeholder achievements disprove the hypothetical anyway.

Bailu has a set of achievements. Niaowu has a set of achievements. There is a further set for completion of a final area, but isn't mentioned by name. Beyond all reasonable doubt though, it's Baisha.

crude-drugs-hamidul-kowsar-2-638.jpg

药材 - Yàocái - Medicinal Herbs, Crude Drugs.

Japanese - 生薬 - Shouyaku - Herbal Medicine, crude drug, crude medicine, natural remedy.

So, I guess Nature Medicine is in Shenmue 3. I dont believe in things like homeopathic remedies in real life but I am willing to suspend by disbelief for a game such as Shenmue.

Cool that goes with what @Switch pointed out too.

... in which case I'm going back to my original theory; Ryo helps Shenhua (or smn we don't know yet, or that old lady in the trailer who won't tell him nothing) collect medicinal herbs to raise affinity maybe or to make something

Came here after seeing a reddit post warning people about spoilers lmfao. I'm so excited, keep them coming! A great story can never be spoiled! This is amazing!

Sorry if this is a bit of a sidetrack, but I just wanted to say - Homeopathics are a completely separate thing from natural/herbal medicines... whether or not homeopathy is effective, it's essentially non-scientific, whereas herbal medicines do have scientifically-verifiable properties and have been the basis for numerous Western allopathic ("conventional") medicines.

I am going to go against the grain here and suggest what I suggested two weeks ago; what if Baisha has been cut from the game. We seen in Adam Sipione's Kickstarter video a clip from inside YSNET where they could be seen working on those toulu buildings, and that was recorded in 2016.

But recently we have learned that this game is pretty huge, so what if including Baisha makes this game too big? So much so, that Baisha could very well be developed to 60%-70%, but cut, and moved to Shenmue 4 to give them a head start on that games development.

I know the immediate Shenmue fan reaction to that would be anger, and the comments would fly, "aagghhh that's not what was promised in the Kickstarter.", "How dare they do this", ya-de-ya-de-ya. But, what if the option was there to have a huge Shenmue 3 based in Bailu Village and Niaowu, and despite Baisha being a developed to a certain extent, cutting that to Shenmue 4 IF it meant that Shenmue 4 was definitely going to come?

Just throwing that out there...

That's what I think. It reminds me around the time when Shenmue I was being promoted, about 60% of the footage was from the second game so I can definitely see YS getting a headstart on the development of IV.

I halfway expect future trailers of Shenmue III to include Shenmue IV footage that we wont realize till we finish III.

Thirty-seven likely isn't the final number, by the way. Yakuza Kiwami displayed a similar number of Achievements when they first appeared on completionist.me, which grew over time.

I estimate 45-47 (which, in turn, means more story details for us to claw at) overall.

Judging from the work behind the scenes I guess we can say Shenmue 3 won't be exclusive to Epic Games Store.

Judging from the work behind the scenes I guess we can say Shenmue 3 won't be exclusive to Epic Games Store.

The Outer Worlds' Stream page was still updating its Achievements an hour before it was announced that it was Epic Store exclusive, with the developers left completely unaware.

Also, Phoenix Point, a crowd funded game on Fig, was just made timed exclusive on Epic Store, after already being announced for Steam.

Last edited:
Back