[SPOILER WARNING] Placeholder Shenmue III achievements appearing on SteamDB backend

Does that make Yu Suzuki the Fat Controller?

I don't think they have cut baisha, there were much money spend in researching and developing to let it go.

Even less to reserve it for Shenmue 4, Sega isn't taking care of the project anymore and they even don't know if S4 will be a reality so developing things in advance to reserve it for S4 doesn't make sense. They have to go with full force to make the best S3 they can so that the game sells well and make S4 afterwards.

Besides, we have some evidence Suzuki have been spending a lot of time researching about Baisha.

yu_suzuki_china.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

In my opinion, it's all about keeping cards close to the chest and surprise after the release. We don't know "too much" about the game, enemies, gameplay...

I am going to go against the grain here and suggest what I suggested two weeks ago; what if Baisha has been cut from the game. We seen in Adam Sipione's Kickstarter video a clip from inside YSNET where they could be seen working on those toulu buildings, and that was recorded in 2016.

But recently we have learned that this game is pretty huge, so what if including Baisha makes this game too big? So much so, that Baisha could very well be developed to 60%-70%, but cut, and moved to Shenmue 4 to give them a head start on that games development.

I know the immediate Shenmue fan reaction to that would be anger, and the comments would fly, "aagghhh that's not what was promised in the Kickstarter.", "How dare they do this", ya-de-ya-de-ya. But, what if the option was there to have a huge Shenmue 3 based in Bailu Village and Niaowu, and despite Baisha being a developed to a certain extent, cutting that to Shenmue 4 IF it meant that Shenmue 4 was definitely going to come?

Just throwing that out there...

I was thinking about Baisha too and I was wondering if in fact, Baisha never was meant to be explored. Remember how it was said that it's where the new siege game mechanic would take place ?
I'd guess either we wont visit Baisha but it'll only take place in the siege mode (ugh I hate tower defense) or that it'll be a more story driven and linear part of the game.

I was thinking about Baisha too and I was wondering if in fact, Baisha never was meant to be explored. Remember how it was said that it's where the new siege game mechanic would take place ?
I'd guess either we wont visit Baisha but it'll only take place in the siege mode (ugh I hate tower defense) or that it'll be a more story driven and linear part of the game.
Don't know if you've looked at them, but the achievements don't reflect this.

There are achievements for side activities for named locations like Bailu and Niaowu/Chobu, but also for "All" - which indicates a third and final area which we already know to be Baisha.

Don't know if you've looked at them, but the achievements don't reflect this.

There are achievements for side activities for named locations like Bailu and Niaowu/Chobu, but also for "All" - which indicates a third and final area which we already know to be Baisha.

I think the "all" refers to having finished both.
As you can see there's an achievement for "clear chobu" and "clear bailu".
But nothing about Baisha. Honestly, I think it's better to think that Baisha isn't a full fledged area. And considering Yu Suzuki compared the game size to Shenmue II, I think Bailu + Chobu fits. Considering the kind of area Baisha is supposed to be, it'd be far bigger. At least, if you don't expect ir, you wont feel disappointed.

Why would there be an achievement for completing Area 1, an achievement for completing Area 2, and then a third achievement for completing Areas 1 & 2? The conditions for such a third achievement have already been met by attaining the second. It would make no sense.

This endless, cyclical talk of Baisha being dropped arose from nothing and has already been soundly debunked as far as I'm concerned. There's no reason for it to become the main talking point of this thread, and the forum mods have been repeatedly trying to discourage that from happening but here we are, still.

Why would there be an achievement for completing Area 1, an achievement for completing Area 2, and then a third achievement for completing Areas 1 & 2? The conditions for such a third achievement have already been met by attaining the second. It would make no sense.

Having said that, the Shenmue re-release gives you an achievement for beating Chai at the harbour, as well one for completing the game. The condition for getting the second one after earning the first one is "don't turn off the console before it gets awarded".

This endless, cyclical talk of Baisha being dropped arose from nothing and has already been soundly debunked as far as I'm concerned. There's no reason for it to become the main talking point of this thread, and the forum mods have been repeatedly trying to discourage that from happening but here we are, still.

I mean, even the Administrator is talking about that possibility. Honestly it's not that bad to go with a cautious mind. I rather think the game has 2 main areas being Chobu and Bailu, Baisha being a more limited one with tower defense stuff that you can barely visit than expect a 3rd big area and being disappointed.
At worse, I get what I expected which is still good enough.
At best my expectations gets crushed and I get another big area to visit.

I think the "all" refers to having finished both.
As you can see there's an achievement for "clear chobu" and "clear bailu".
But nothing about Baisha. Honestly, I think it's better to think that Baisha isn't a full fledged area. And considering Yu Suzuki compared the game size to Shenmue II, I think Bailu + Chobu fits. Considering the kind of area Baisha is supposed to be, it'd be far bigger. At least, if you don't expect ir, you wont feel disappointed.
That doesn't make sense though.

Chobu/Niaowu have their own set of achievements, but if that was truly the final area of the game, they would carry the "All" and "Complete" definitions. Why have two sets of achievements pop for completion in one area?

It all indicates a third area, and one that is explorable - Baisha.

There's a set of three achievements for story progression, clearly defined by completing an area. "Clear_Hakkason (Bailu)", "Clear_Chobu", and "Complete".

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills trying to prove what I believe to be clear as day.

This discussion is going around in circles somewhat. Let's move the discussion on.

The fact is more achievements will be added in time so that will likely cover Baisha and anything else.

This discussion is going around in circles somewhat. Let's move the discussion on.

The fact is more achievements will be added in time so that will likely cover Baisha and anything else.
Sorry to keep this cycle going a bit longer, but the achievements relating to Baisha are already there, but because of how they've been defined as completion states for the main story and side content, the location just isn't mentioned by name like they are with Bailu and Niaowu/Chobu. The progression of gradual unlocking by location is clear, though.

Achievements referring to Baisha by name will probably not come, if this is the naming convention they've used to define the unlocks.

That doesn't make sense though.

Chobu/Niaowu have their own set of achievements, but if that was truly the final area of the game, they would carry the "All" and "Complete" definitions. Why have two sets of achievements pop for completion in one area?

It all indicates a third area, and one that is explorable - Baisha.

There's a set of three achievements for story progression, clearly defined by completing an area. "Clear_Hakkason (Bailu)", "Clear_Chobu", and "Complete".

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills trying to prove what I believe to be clear as day.

Another thing that makes me believe Baisha might be a different kind of area is how Yu Suzuki said Bailu + Chobu is roughly as big as Shenmue 2 Hong Kong. Why not include Baisha for the size comparison ?

I think Baisha is where the Chiyoumen will be located, and thus they don't want to spoil anything by being too specific. Also, the blanket "clear" achievements come after the Bailu and Choubu clear achievements, so such as in other games, it wouldn't make much sense to put a "Clear Baisha" achievement when it means the end of the game. Shenmue I & II do this, as someone mentioned earlier with Chai, but those games were also not designed with achievements in mind. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Back