Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

18 seconds in, right above SEGA's credit.
I'm sorry. I am now rewatching it a fourth time. And, its starting to get annoying. I know what I am seeing and its fucking insane. we are not seeing the same ending credits.

Also, felt strong Kai and Predictive Explosion vibes when Ryo was fighting Chai. For people saying it feels rushed...they have 13 episodes, just under five hours, to pack basically two full games into. That'd hard enough to do with just the story and nothing else. I think we needed to finish disc 1 of Shenmue I with this episode, and it looks like we did, and then some. Onto the next!
I wouldn't say we've finished disc 1 with this episode tbh, as we know the Heartbeats fight and Charlie stuff are still upcoming.

The awkward moment when you're not watching till 8pm later when we stream our reactions to the first watch.

I'm hiding my ass away until then haha. I've seen a bunch of positive comments though which is great.

Will join the party later!

Last edited:
I suppose the nice thing about this as well is we have a new version of the script to work from

As opposed to the original games verbatim translated script that sometimes feels too stiff in translation.
Oh by no way am I saying they needed to keep the games original script verbatim. I just am noticing small things, we can speculate about given what we know at present from games current stories.

Also anyone want to speculate where exactly Lan Di was in his last appearance in the episode? Because it jumps straight to Shenhua in Bailu at first I thought it may have been him at the Old Castle, but not sure exactly what environment is outside his window? Harbour?

This is off to a great start! The moments they've added that don't take place in the game are very good and help establish the characters nicely (since you can't go and have a gillion one-on-one conversations with every single character like you would in the game). The pace of the narrative makes sense - the first major story beat in the game is Ryo getting Zhu's letter from Ine-San, so it makes sense to get there quickly (much as we would have loved a Three Blades reference). Fighting Chai early on was a cool idea, but I agree that I don't think Ryo should have defeated him. Not sure how they'll make Chai a threat now that he's already been fairly easily beaten. Other than that, the look of the show is great and I can't wait for more!

Also anyone want to speculate where exactly Lan Di was in his last appearance in the episode? Because it jumps straight to Shenhua in Bailu at first I thought it may have been him at the Old Castle, but not sure exactly what environment is outside his window? Harbour?
Harbour is my guess. Lan Di hasn't left for Hong Kong yet.

I was thinking about this point given that he instructed his lackey to search for the second mirror while still in Japan... why does he go to Hong Kong? I then remembered the shot in the trailer where Ryo drops a letter while fighting the Mad Angels. My guess is that Chai or someone delivers the letter to Lan Di, who then decides to pursue Zhu Yuanda instead.

I wouldn't say we've finished disc 1 with this episode tbh, as we know the Heartbeats fight and Charlie stuff are still upcoming.
Fair enough, at least we have come close! Forgot disc 1 ends when you get to the harbor. Been too long!

Interesting they left out that Iwao supposedly killed Zhao Sunming in Meng Cun...

Harbour is my guess. Lan Di hasn't left for Hong Kong yet.

I was thinking about this point given that he instructed his lackey to search for the second mirror while still in Japan... why does he go to Hong Kong? I then remembered the shot in the trailer where Ryo drops a letter while fighting the Mad Angels. My guess is that Chai or someone delivers the letter to Lan Di, who then decides to pursue Zhu Yuanda instead.
Interesting speculation. Another thing occurred to me, it’s clear in anime that Lan Di is aware of another mirror, yet Chai decides to go back to Hazuki Dojo. Why? How is he so certain Ryo knows where the second mirror is?

We are told in the games that all Chai wants to do is work for Lan Di, but I know there were some posts that showed maybe Chai was following orders of someone else in Shenmue 3 (possibly Niao Sun?)

Interesting speculation. Another thing occurred to me, it’s clear in anime that Lan Di is aware of another mirror, yet Chai decides to go back to Hazuki Dojo. Why? How is he so certain Ryo knows where the second mirror is?

We are told in the games that all Chai wants to do is work for Lan Di, but I know there were some posts that showed maybe Chai was following orders of someone else in Shenmue 3 (possibly Niao Sun?)
Yanlang is the only one that mentions anything about Chai in III, I believe. Saying he was there to just keep an eye on things. I think there is discussion to be had on whether or not both the Red Snakes and Blue Spiders are on the same team, though...one could be more directly working with Lan Di, the other with Niao Sun...?

I watched it a second time and its much better, definitely prefer Japanese. Realize that the game would not translate well in an anime due to the amount of investigative talking needed so the modifications worked well for an anime. Remember the second game was massive to the first so I feel it did justice introducing Lan Di, Ryos background and martial arts, Nozomi and the connection she has with Ryo and Chai being a super creepy stalker. We had little info on Chai in the game, nice intro to Shenhua and her mysterious spiritual background so overall the artwork and music, presentation A+ from me.
I disagree with this. It can be done well in capable hands. I wish it was treated more like an investigation series with a mix of action rather than the fast paced all action series they seem to have gone with.

I have always been more of a fan of slower paced anime that builds up it's story, tension and the stakes get higher, they have gone the opposite direction with the Shenmue anime though.

I disagree with this. It can be done well in capable hands. I wish it was treated more like an investigation series with a mix of action rather than the fast paced all action series they seem to have gone with.

I have always been more of a fan of slower paced anime that builds up it's story, tension and the stakes get higher, they have gone the opposite direction with the Shenmue anime though.
Remember we've seen literally 1 episode lol

I dug it, I watched it with subs on Crunchy Roll. I suppose it did feel like it moved quickly, but I did enjoy that they established a bunch of story hooks from the start. (Why did Lan Di kill Iwao? Where's the 2nd mirror? Who's the girl from the prophecy? Who's Yuanda Zhu? What happened in Iwao's past?, etc). Perhaps once these questions are established, they can unravel them a bit more slowly going forward.

I'm not going to get up in arms about any differences from the games since it's a different medium and I'm sure a lot of things won't translate, and I'm open to some changes as well. That being said I do share the same sentiment that the Chai fight occurred too suddenly and that Ryo was able to defeat him so quickly. But perhaps "Chai vs Ryo" fights won't happen as often going forward in the anime and the purpose of this fight was to represent his "potential".

sure in something like a 74 episode series like Monster but with 13 episodes how would that be crammed in?

sure in something like a 74 episode series like Monster but with 13 episodes how would that be crammed in?
In a perfect world having gargantuan number of episodes like Monster would be ideal and you could have a lot of those slower moments but as indicated with 13 episodes you don’t have that luxury. With flashbacks and other story telling devices, that doesn’t mean they can’t have characterization, it will just be shown in a different way.

Back