Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

Do you plan to continue watching past episode 1?
Yeah, I'm in it for the long haul. It's not what I would have liked, but I'm hoping for the best (expecting the worst--for me). I'm hoping for it to do well, regardless. I updooted it on CR, and plan to view with friends who are unfamiliar with Shenmue to maybe vicariously get a fresh perspective.

Xiuying is an important character in the story so i will be in shock if Xiuying is not in the anime, i really feel Xiuying is in the anime, also learning the 4 Wude is super important.

If the show omits Xiuying, I can see that being the divisive element that would have a majority of the fans turning against the show.

I'll hold out hope that they're not that crazy to take away such an integral character. They can probably get away with omitting Fang-mei, as much as that would hurt, but lack of Xiuying would probably be a dealbreaker for me.

If the show omits Xiuying, I can see that being the divisive element that would have a majority of the fans turning against the show.

I'll hold out hope that they're not that crazy to take away such an integral character. They can probably get away with omitting Fang-mei, as much as that would hurt, but lack of Xiuying would probably be a dealbreaker for me.
After seeing the Chai fight, part of me wondered whether they might omit bother her and Dou Niou. Anime Ryo has already grown more as a character in one episode than game Ryo has across three games, so I struggle to see how characters whose purpose is to help him to develop as both a person or a martial artist are going to fit in.

Xiuying is an important character in the story so i will be in shock if Xiuying is not in the anime, i really feel Xiuying is in the anime, also learning the 4 Wude is super important.

I'm confused with something, in the official Shenmue site we can see that there is an opening theme song and ending theme song in the anime, the first episode put the opening theme song UNDEAD-NOID in the ending, and i noticed that the first episode do not have an opening animation, in general anime have opening animation and ending animation with theme songs, in the first episode was just the ending animation and with the opening song.

So i have a feeling that for the second episode we will see the opening animation for the first time and maybe a new ending animation with the ending theme, this is possible as well.

View attachment 14043
This is quite common for anime shows. The first episode will often not have the opening song as the opening until the next episode. This tends to happen with the final episode of an anime as well.

As for Xiuying, I am certain she will be there, she has to be. She's an integral part of the story.

I really don't think they will cut out such an important character for the story. Lishao Tao/Xiuying is the master of Ryo in Hong Kong, Ryo learn many things with Xiuying, maybe the scenes will be in a different way like some things that happened in the first episode but cut out Xiuying? i doubt that, i will be really in shock if this happen.

Is Xuiying not in the trailers? That would be a big shame if she's not in it. Her scenes are among the most iconic in II.

No, Xiuying did not appear in the trailers, It didn't appear in the promotional images and as far as i know it's not even confirmed for the anime.

Yuan is confirmed for the anime, Dou Niu is confirmed for the anime, i really think Xiuying will be in the anime as well.

No, Xiuying did not appear in the trailers, It didn't appear in the promotional images and as far as i know it's not even confirmed for the anime.

Yuan is confirmed for the anime, Dou Niu is confirmed for the anime, i really think Xiuying will be in the anime as well.
Xiuying's brother presumably has an important part in the series' future. The leaf scene is arguably the best scene in Shenmue 2, and I can't imagine why they would cut it. II begins with Ryo seeking Lishoa Tao, they would have to change the whole plot of Hong Kong if she's not in it.

In my opinion just the fact that Dou Niu is in the anime makes me believe that Xiuying is in the anime as well.

Ryo remembering Xiuying's words before defeating Dou Niu in the ending of the Kowloon part

Good to hear! Looking forward to Xiuying, she is my favourite character in II.

I've seen the anime now. I thought it was good, but not sure how about they handled Chai. I like Chai being this pathetic, malnourished underling, who is surprisingly powerful, and I found it a bit disappointing Ryo defeats him in their first encounter.

Also the letter scene, I hope the theory is true that Yuanda Zhu is the true hidden mastermind, him sending Ryo the letter as the first of his bread crumb trail, to manipulate Ryo, I think would be an exciting revelation.

Also the letter scene, I hope the theory is true that Yuanda Zhu is the true hidden mastermind, him sending Ryo the letter as the first of his bread crumb trail, to manipulate Ryo, I think would be an exciting revelation.

If Yuanda Zhu is the true hidden mastermind i don't think this will be revealed in the anime. probably in Shenmue IV or V but in the first season of the anime i don't imagine this happening, but yeah... i like this theory as well.

People need to stop overreacting in regards to characters we havent seen yet from Shenmue 2. Hell the only time we saw Dou Niu was in the most recent anime art. There was no reason to believe they will skip Xiuying of all people. jeez. The ending song to episode 1 is actually the opening theme going forward if I recall. And that animation definitely has more of an opening vibe. So that means we will likely get the real ending song/animation in the next episode and it might include other characters. And we know how anime's love to make the ending animations female character centric. lol

If Yuanda Zhu is the true hidden mastermind i don't think this will be revealed in the anime. probably in Shenmue IV or V but in the first season of the anime i don't imagine this happening, but yeah... i like this theory as well.
I think if it's true, I hope Yu Suzuki will tell the anime writers some of the future twists, and they can do the foreshadowing right, expand on the characters they know will have a more important role. In Shenmue II Ryo places the four heavenly beasts keys in the statue (the same symbols of the chi you men's leaders) and he's just sitting behind them. This is some brilliant foreshadowing if it's true he's behind the 4 leaders and Lan Di might not even know.

I love the slow pace in the first game, i love that the first game is only Yokosuka, the way Ryo find all the clues and writes on his notebook and much more, but for the anime version i really like the way Ryo found the clues/informations in the first episode.

If the anime was 24 episodes it would be nice to see the slow pace of the first game in the anime with a lot of slice of life and calm moments with even more characater development, but for 13 episodes i really enjoy the pace of the first episode, this is not a flaw in my opinion, i enjoy the way the story is progressing in the anime.

Ryo will probably not spend half of an episode searching for just one clue, Ryo will probably not spend an entire episode searching for sailors, the way Ryo found the informations/clues in the first episode was really nice.

Lan Di did not said a thing about Meng Cun in the first episode but it is possible that in a future episode this can happen.

Last edited:
I just watched with my wife who loves anime. She really liked it. I LOVED it. I didn't mind the band-aid situation, or the chai fight. I like what they have done to pull in new folks. I love the animation style, I like the theme song, and I am really excited for episode 2.

I'm gonna fire up the game on my PS5! Ironically it will make Shenmue 1 feel even more "lived in" with the additional context (tournament, etc....).

Back