SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 3: Yin - Yang Thread

This has been the most different so far! The mirror snuggled by Zhu and Iwao put of Japan, almost like it was illegal contraband, the Chens being in some sort of underworld organization instead of just dealing in antiques...

I presume the Chiyoumen interrogation scene was to take place in China prior to Iwao's death?

Okay...there is so much to digest with this episode. All that new stuff. This is the one thing I really like about the anime. We're not so tied to Ryo's perspective and it actually does let us glimpse other things happening in this world.

This has been the most different so far! The mirror snuggled by Zhu and Iwao put of Japan, almost like it was illegal contraband, the Chens being in some sort of underworld organization instead of just dealing in antiques...
I always assumed there was something else up with Master Chen...to be involved with all of this, I assumed he had to have dealings with the underworld. But nice to see it actually confirmed.

Where? I missed that entirely.
While they bandaging up Ryo from his fall. Thought he would get the Poetry Scroll from behind the banner, but I guess if we get more seasons, this could easily be shown in a flashback.

Just finished, a cracking episode.

I need to rewatch it to catch all the reworked scenes and new material but my immediate thoughts-

- Although Shenhua reciting the poem feels played out by this point I understand it’s narrative purpose. I hope they can give her fresh material moving forward but still tangentially link her to Ryo’s early story

- The Chen’s themselves being part of a rival underground group makes a lot more sense and I think makes the conflict between them and Mad Angels feels a lot more solidified

- Lan Di speaking Mandarin! He was raised by the Chi You Men at a young age so this makes sense

- For anime purposes dropping old/new Warehouse made a lot of sense so happy with these changes. I fear we may not see Shozo who was one of my favourite characters from first game

- Yunda Zhu being mastermind behind the story so far gaining traction here with some revised lore info

I presume the Chiyoumen interrogation scene was to take place in China prior to Iwao's death?
There was a scene at the end after the Chai ambush where Lan Di says "We're leaving Japan" and he looks like he is still in the same room as when he interrogated that chinese man. I think it happened in present time, not past.

Bro himself Goro was in it. Episode 3 is probably my favorite episode so far.

My current ratings

Episode 1. 8/10
Episode 2. 7.5/10
Episode 3. 8.5/10

- Although Shenhua reciting the poem feels played out by this point I understand it’s narrative purpose. I hope they can give her fresh material moving forward but still tangentially link her to Ryo’s early story

Honestly, that poem has been worn out for past 20 years now :p Considering how long we've lived with it :ROFLMAO:

Amazing, amazing episode. I really love the additions and expansion upon the world of Shenmue. Seeing Lan Di threaten that guy was awesome.

Also, Ryo really wants his revenge - that motivation was clear as day in that episode!
Yeah, when the episode started with her going over the poem again I was a bit worried they were genuinely going to book-end every episode with it. Thankfully that's not the case. I think they've just used it as an excuse for the constant cut-aways to Bailu villahge: which are a fantastic, and welcome addition!

I think I have to watch it again before I can truly give thoughts.

Nice to confirm that the Chens have henchmen as well. Kind of disappointed that Ryo was grabbed before even attempting to sneak into Warehouse 8.

Once again the strength of Shenmue the anime seems to be the supporting cast. I don't mean that this Ryo is weaker then his game counterpart, far from it. Only that as a storytelling medium we're seeing a lot more of the side characters and how they fit into the world. Guizhang in particular shines this episode, we learn a lot more about the relationship with his father, stuff that was only hinted at the game, Shenmue as a whole is richer because of these new details.

Last edited:
Back