SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 3: Yin - Yang Thread

Damn good episode overall. I think key for me is expanding on the Guizhang/master Chen relationship, and the more explicit framing of the Chens' "illicit organisation" compared to the games.

The way in which "underworld" is used in this episode also kind of feels symbolic of the framing of the Guizhang/master Chen relationship here, particularly if we consider the meaning of "underworld" as "land of the dead": Guizhang is trapped in a place he cannot leave, as a "subordinate" instead of a son, and the father/son relationship can only be restored on the day, "we leave the underworld" which is the "day we die"; (the symbolic underworld becomes real.)

It's a difficult distancing strategy from Chen, presumably to keep Guizhang on the level with the dangerous nature of their organisation - to try to protect Guizhang from bring emotionally compromised. It works nicely later on however when Ryo's commitment to Iwao inadvertently exposes Guizhang's suppressed feelings towards his father: Guizhang deep down honours his father in the same way but isn't allowed to show it, but clearly Ryo is pushing him to break with this distancing somewhat.

Again, I think it really adds some more depth to the Chen and Guizhang relationship that was arguably a bit less explored in the games: Guizhang now has more overt incentive to ultimately side with Ryo as we have a clearer understanding of why he would be empathetic towards Ryo's desire to honor his father. Another example for me that the writers have really put some thought into adapting and adding to these characters.
Agreed. Good post.

These are elements all running under the surface of the games too, which tells me they've really done their homework to identify them.

Agreed. Good post.

These are elements all running under the surface of the games too, which tells me they've really done their homework to identify them.
Yeah. Meant to say it's more subtextual in the games, but they've done well to dramatise this stuff in the way they have considering the format: prioritising character arcs, setup and payoff etc.

Okay. I just watched it for the second time.

I saw the SEGA Saturn...I call bullshit! We all know Ryo has a BLACK Saturn, not a white one. I mean, what are we to believe, this is some sort of MAGIC color changing Saturn or something? Boy, I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.

geniusatwork.png

In all seriousness though :D I actually really like that episode just for all the new stuff it added. The confirmation of Master Chen being tied to the underground. The interrogation scene with Lan Di speaking mandarine. The sparring scene with Fuku San. The searching the house montage. Even managing to get Nozomi in there for a brief bit (even if she didn't play as big a role as the last two eps)

My only complaint about this anime so far is that I kind of wish it was 26 episodes, just because I do feel it is a bit too truncated at times and I almost just want more of this take of Shenmue.

It's giving me the itch to go back and play through the games again nonetheless...so maybe that is its intended purpose after all.

But yeah, I like the small changes they've made. I really like that we are no longer tied to Ryo's perspective. I get why that works for the games in terms of full immersion but I really like seeing these small scenes told from characters perspectives. It just fleshes out this world so much more.

Yeah, I look forward to next week's episode (as always)

I guess time for the dodgy Chinese travel agent...and then maybe fork lifting? (it's got to be next week at this pace)

Last edited:
OK! As per last week, i'm going to post my thoughts immediately after seeing the episode and look forward to reading others' in a short while. Writing as a stream of conciousness, so apologies if I seem all over the place.

Seriously, this show keeps getting better and better! I couldn't believe how quickly the credits rolled up!! I think we must be on Disc 2 of Shenmue I now if memory recalls?

I like there's a sort of structure with Shenhua at the beginning. I thought "not the prophecy again", but i'm quite enjoying the little twists on using it, so I can forgive that. I'm getting more used to the speed of the show now and apart from one or two tiny bits, I really think they've got the pace down quite nicely.

What I really liked was there was more emphasis of Ryo engaging in cahoots with the criminial underworld in order to progress which is something that I don't think was made as explicit in the games. The line about Guizhang and Chen only being father and son upon death and Ryo using that as a weapon was a brilliant moment. I also think that the Chai attack in episode one makes more sense now as his occurance in each episode makes for a sort of recurring villian....where will he pop up next?!

Seeing Nozomi in her (almost) original outfit was lovely and I liked the little flower apron too. Seeing old favourites like Goro and Mai was great. It was funny to see how quickly Goro turns around when he realises he's been beaten. Lots of lovely little easter eggs (I did see the Saturn in the Hazuki home) too. I think that some bits felt a bit too convenient such as Fuku-san talking about the crests and Ryo thinking "Oh!", but accept that was a more efficient way of progressing the story.

Seeing Ryo injured and topless briefly was certainly interesting!

I must admit I haven't been paying attention to the music as much as i'd like and the themes still aren't really that memorable sadly, but that'll come in time.

So yeah - another brilliant episode. I just wish they were a little bit longer! They better announce a blu-ray boxset soon as today i'm starting to pay for Crunchyroll (free trial ends today) and I don't like the thought of having to pay to re-watch something that I can't physcially on. They'd be mad (angels) not to consider doing this. I'm going to be dirt poor soon getting a house, but i'd pay good money for this and other merch.

Now, my hope is that others will give the games a chance. Perhaps knowing a lot of the story beats, but allowing them to attempt it in their own way will actually make them more palatable for people who would others avoid it?

Given the state of the world at the moment and nothing but bad news, having something like this to look forward to on a Sunday morning gives me a little hope :)

Really enjoyed seeing the inner monolog of Guizhang since that was never in the game. Surprised how the anime changes some of the clues in a good way such as Ryo finding the picture of his dad from the Phoenix Mirror's reflection. Cannot wait for more!

Amazing episode, the bar has been raised yet again. Loved the scene at the antique shop where Ryo is told about the Chen organisation and how it is also conducting illegal activities. Where was that place that Lan-Di was in where he was threatening that guy about the mirror? At first I thought it looked like a temple In Niaowu. All the little story beats seems natural, my only criticism was They started with the prophecy again which may be a little bit of overkill as it’s the 5th time we have heard it recited in 3 eps. Need to rewatch now to find some Easter eggs, I only spotted the Saturn on the first watch (which was true to the game with the JPN grey/blue version).

LOOK AT THE SMILE ON RYO'S FACE!!

Knew it; man has a hard on for Forklifts <3

Haven't posted since the anime came out but loving it so far!

I was really interested to get to the basement scene, to see which items they included... Maybe my memory is hazy but isn't this when Ryo finds the leaf and the mysterious scroll?! If so guessing they've been dropped.... Will we ever get to find out about those?!

In the sub they translate the Chen password as common allies instead of Comrades, anyone watched the dub and can confirm which they use? Comrades ftw!

My fave bit was actually the sneak in/torch catch qte reference- anyone who used that as the way to see the bad ending knows it so well lol. The nostalgia is real!

Overall, in terms of fan service, it's way beyond my expectations so far.
I just want the fight scenes to improve a bit tbh, although Chai actually landed on Guizhang's kick right? That was cool :)

Last edited:
For me this is actually the first acceptable to maybe even good episode. I like the pacing a bit more and most of the characters behave in an acceptable way. The dynamic between Guizhang and Ryo is maybe not as strong as in the game, but they still managed to come near it. Something they botched completely with nearly every other characters up until now.

It could also be, that because I actively dislike the first two episodes, my exceptions where decreased to a point, where I`m ok with what I`m seeing now. I`m not sure. But right now I think this episode is pretty good.

The whole peom thing needs to stop though. It`s definitely getting out of hand...

This was my favourite one so far! I'm really enjoying how the anime is fleshing out the supporting cast in ways the game never did.

I think it's going to be quite interesting to replay the games once the anime is over knowing the new tidbits of info and backstory we now have.

Best episode so far. We always knew the Chens were a bit dodgy in the games but having them confirmed as members of the underworld in the anime is nice. Master Chen in particular already feels like a much darker character.

I really enjoyed it. This episode to me felt the closest to the game so far, while also expanding on details and certain characterisations.

The representation of the Chens (with goons and all) feels like what they were trying to communicate in the game but fell just short. They managed to make their father-son relationship a bit more interesting, too.

Definitely. There's also the possibility they talked to Yu about his original intent for these characters and scenarios, if there was anything in the original scripts that didn't make it, etc.

I also echo about this being my favorite episode so far.
I liked the other ones, but I cannot detach myself so much to view it as I'd view a regular anime. But this episode to me feels like the first one that a non-fan can actually watch and enjoy while setting up threads to keep them interested. I kinda felt like the first 2 episodes were a mix of jumpcuts/fanservice that would only appeal to people that already have played the game, and I liked much more the flow of this episode.

I always assumed there was something else up with Master Chen...to be involved with all of this, I assumed he had to have dealings with the underworld. But nice to see it actually confirmed.
Me too since the first time I play the game something was not right with master Chen and of course there is his side of the story of the mirrors different than of zhu yuanda so one of them must be liar and uses ryo

it's getting good! The way they fleshing out things is not in the game. It's awesome.

You can read my recap/review of this week's episode here :)

Quick thoughts - I really liked the added depth to Chen and Gui Zhang's relationship. For those who may have wondered (and I go into this in more detail in the blog), yes there is official material for the game that implies Chen's company engages in illegal trading (screenshot from the Suka Pass app, which has all the information from the Shenmue Passport)
IMG_5284.JPG

Time for daily Chai post but man did he scare the crap out of me. I knew he was coming to swoop down for the mirror, I put it to the back of my head for a second and when he leapt out I got a big jumpscare.

I thought Ryo posed a good question when he asked about his father's connection to the underworld. The Chens are confirmed to be part of it, Yuanda Zhu was once the 'big boss' of Hong Kong (according to Ren in the games) and the Chiyoumen know of Iwao. The side of the story that the anime is doing really well on is making the audience pose questions about Iwao, to make them wonder if he was more than a humble dojo owner.

Back