Star Wars

Riku Rose

Sex Panther
Banned
Just seen the cast for Episode IX has been announced.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

I wasn't a fan of Last Jedi but loved Force Awakens so I hope JJ can at least end the new trilogy on a good note. I just hope the Carrie thing isn't too forced.

On paper that sounds like a really nice way of keeping Carrie in the film series...but wonder how unused footage will work with the way the story has changed since EP7

The Last Jedi has been incredibly divisive for sure. It's a beautifully made film that made some very...controversial... decisions.
It almost felt like it should have been episode 9.

I'm with you: I loved Force Awakens, which I find to have insane replay value.
(TLJ doesn't age nearly as well; it's far less enjoyable, IMO.)

Anyway...not sure what to make of Ep. 9 yet. After 7, my excitement was sky high; after TLJ, not so much (again, it felt like the end of the sequel trilogy). JJ's work is really cut out for him it seems.

The Last Jedi has been incredibly divisive for sure. It's a beautifully made film that made some very...controversial... decisions.
It almost felt like it should have been episode 9.

I'm with you: I loved Force Awakens, which I find to have insane replay value.
(TLJ doesn't age nearly as well; it's far less enjoyable, IMO.)

Yeah Force Awakens was a very "safe" but fun movie. The Last Jedi was mediocre imho. It was beatiful to look at with some fun action scenes but the way it changed Luke Skywalker's personality and some of the stupid out of place humor was very disappointing.

Rogue One was also a good movie imho I liked Solo too, but it also had some stupid stuff in it like Lando being in love with a droid wtf? o_O

Dead franchise.

Been burnt too many times now with eagerly anticipating a new movie, thinking “this will be the one that isn’t shit”. The Last Jedi was the final weight that capsized the boat for me.

There’s just no heart to these films anymore. Yes people say they’re for kids etc but the original trilogy are legit great films even though they’re made for prepubescent oiks. The Force Awakens deceived a lot of people by being an inferior retread of A New Hope. Everyone got sucked into liking it because it was familiar, but it’s inferior in every way to ANH. So what’s the point in it existing? It made a shitload of cash.

Rogue One was ok but I didn’t *feel* any of the characters and the last 5 mins were blatant tacked on fan service.

Dead franchise.

Been burnt too many times now with eagerly anticipating a new movie, thinking “this will be the one that isn’t shit”. The Last Jedi was the final weight that capsized the boat for me.

There’s just no heart to these films anymore. Yes people say they’re for kids etc but the original trilogy are legit great films even though they’re made for prepubescent oiks. The Force Awakens deceived a lot of people by being an inferior retread of A New Hope. Everyone got sucked into liking it because it was familiar, but it’s inferior in every way to ANH. So what’s the point in it existing? It made a shitload of cash.

Rogue One was ok but I didn’t *feel* any of the characters and the last 5 mins were blatant tacked on fan service.
Have you seen Solo? Outside of some odd scenes, I thought it captured the original trilogy pretty well.

I'm one of the few that enjoyed The Last Jedi a lot (flaws and all) but my favourite of all Disney-era movies so far is definitely Rogue One.

Wonder how 8's reception & Carrie's passing will impact 9. I'm sure Abrams can do us good, hopefully he doesn't go too much into deja vu/safe territory as with The Force Awakens...

I also really like The Last Jedi. Far from perfect and plenty of flaws but most of the major stuff that most people complain about I saw as a positive...

Life long Star Wars fan, I walked into my wedding reception wearing a Vader mask. We got married on Halloween if its any consolidation.

I hated, HATED The Last Jedi. Loathe that fucking movie. After all they could have accomplished with what was built upon with Force Awakens it was just one clusterfuck of a letdown for me. Throne room scene and the Falcon chase at the end were about all I enjoyed in that one.

I loved Rouge One and I really enjoyed Solo. I went into Solo expecting the absolute worst after TLJ but I left grinning ear to ear.

Life long Star Wars fan, I walked into my wedding reception wearing a Vader mask. We got married on Halloween if its any consolidation.

I hated, HATED The Last Jedi. Loathe that fucking movie. After all they could have accomplished with what was built upon with Force Awakens it was just one clusterfuck of a letdown for me. Throne room scene and the Falcon chase at the end were about all I enjoyed in that one.

I loved Rouge One and I really enjoyed Solo. I went into Solo expecting the absolute worst after TLJ but I left grinning ear to ear.
I liked Solo a lot. I loathed Rouge One. We're all just fucking weird lmfao...

Rouge one was bloody brilliant.

Last Jedi I've seen worse.

Nothing beats the originals

You guys keep referencing "Rouge One"; is that a movie I missed? ;)

I think TLJ criticisms are pretty simple. Generally speaking, some fans didn't like:

1) The way the story progressed (ie how Rian Johnson seemingly ignored the seeds that JJ Abrams had planted in the Force Awakens)
2) The handling of the OT characters
3) the forced humor
4) identity politics and their growing importance in all things Star Wars

Some of these are completely valid criticisms, while others are more subjective.
As things stand, I do think that Rian kind of broke the sequel trilogy, since TLJ felt like...Episode 9.
With that said, I'd still be very interested in seeing his upcoming trilogy of Star Wars films (if that hasn;t been canned already), as I would love to see what he can do on his own, without any story constraints. He's a gifted filmmaker, a fact that some fans love to forget.

4) identity politics and their growing importance in all things Star Wars

There wasn't an outrage for Force Awakens like there was for the Last Jedi and that had a female and black lead. Sure there may be a sexist and racist idiot or two online complaining but the issues I've heard people had with the film is never the sexes or races involved.

My main issue with Last Jedi was the plot wasn't any good. It felt like they didn't know what to do next and it even ended like they don't know where the next film will go. Half of the movie could have been solved if Laura Dern's character just told them what the plan was and didn't keep it a secret which she had no reason to do. It made the whole sub plot with Finn totally pointless and unnecessary and made the mutiny on the ship something that didn't need to happen if people just spoke to one another.

I thought Solo was really disappointing.
His origin story on his home planet was rushed and I wanted more time there.
The plot was also weak.
The very end was cool though.

Last edited:
Long time fan of the films, but new to the books, recently finished up the Darth Bane trilogy on audible and it was brilliant! Music, sound effects, narration, plot, characters, lore. Just ticked every box.

As safe as TFA played it, I loved the film,and I recall how hyped me and a friend were upon leaving the cinema. The feeling leaving after TLJ was so different, hollow. I think Episode 9 could be enjoyable though, I'm just not going to get as excited as I did pre TLJ, and maybe that's a good thing, reigning in expectations and all.

Back