Story Quest DLC Apparantly Dropping on Feb 18th

Probably a side story yeah, but when exactly is it meant to take place? Is it canon? 🤔

If memory serves, it's set in Niaowu; to that end, I wonder if it may be something they'd have wanted in the main game (ergo canon) but didn't have time to finish.
I found the padding of training in Niaowu a bit suspect, as if there was to be other plot present. That may just be me, though...

If memory serves, it's set in Niaowu; to that end, I wonder if it may be something they'd have wanted in the main game (ergo canon) but didn't have time to finish.
I found the padding of training in Niaowu a bit suspect, as if there was to be other plot present. That may just be me, though...
Well yeah, I gathered it was Niaowu from the screenshots...what I mean is, how exactly can it fit when we’ve already seen Ryo get to Niaowu and then leave? But you may be right in the theory it was in the main game at first...

I am thinking you will need a Niaowu save to trigger it, but it can be triggered at any time (provided you've gained access to the full map) - so canonically it's something that happens to Ryo during his time on Niaowu, just as players we haven't seen it yet. Maybe Ryo walks by one of the shops and notices the Chawan Sign.

Fingers crossed there's a little Yuanda Zhu lore to go along with this and it is not just a rescue quest that happens to have a past character who is conveniently located in rural China. I'd love for there to be a good reason to justify Zhang being there.

Well yeah, I gathered it was Niaowu from the screenshots...what I mean is, how exactly can it fit when we’ve already seen Ryo get to Niaowu and then leave? But you may be right in the theory it was in the main game at first...
It's probably the type of DLC that's integrated into the main game but can only be played after a certain point in the story. For example, after a specific event occurs, the lady at the hotel could give you a note the next morning. Or there could be a cutscene where Ryo goes into a restaurant and notices the chawan sign or something like that. From that point on, you would be able to play it until you leave for the old castle.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Lan Di-sama.

Guys, the story details seem to have leaked. Spoiler tagged it just in case you don't want to know the details...

During the exploration of Niaowu, Ryo is warned that an old ally, Shuqin Zhang, is in trouble and has potentially been kidnapped. Ryo and his friends soon learn that a new gang of thugs known as the Black Pythons have been harassing the local community and kidnapped Zhang. After an exhausting search of the town, Ryo eventually finds and defeats two of the thugs, but is then, after controlling much of the fight and holding his own well, inexplicably brutally defeated by their boss FuckyNuckySplatterBalls, despite seemingly depleting all of the boss's health prior to the cutscene.

Following this fight, Nozomi shows up and Ryo responds with "oh, I wonder who that girl is with the short skirt and pretty hair. I'm sure I know her from somewhere... eh probably not. She's probably someone I've never seen before like that weird hunchback guy and that Ren guy." Nozomi explains he lacks kung fu and in order to defeat the boss he needs more kung fu.

To gain the kung fu, Nozomi asks Ryo to obtain a special condom from an ancient wisewoman. The ancient wisewoman, explains that the she cannot give Ryo the special condom without him first catching 10 chickens. Upon catching the 10 chickens, the wisewoman promises to hand over the condom, but it comes with a price - $700,000. Ryo must then spend 20 days gambling and save scumming in order to buy the condom. Once obtained, Nozomi promises to teach Ryo a new legendary Bajiquan move... the reverse cowgirl booty slap. Ryo allows Nozomi to teach the move *cut to close up of Ryo's face making the expression he makes when he takes a sip of a drink from the first game*.

Once Ryo has learned the reverse cowgirl booty slap, he defeats the boss and saves Zhang. Ryo turns around to his friends, smiles and then sees Shenhua slit Nozomi's throat. Ryo screams "nooooooo" and the screen fades to black.

Last edited:
I am thinking you will need a Niaowu save to trigger it, but it can be triggered at any time (provided you've gained access to the full map) - so canonically it's something that happens to Ryo during his time on Niaowu, just as players we haven't seen it yet. Maybe Ryo walks by one of the shops and notices the Chawan Sign.

Fingers crossed there's a little Yuanda Zhu lore to go along with this and it is not just a rescue quest that happens to have a past character who is conveniently located in rural China. I'd love for there to be a good reason to justify Zhang being there.
I hope they put more effort in providing context to Zhang being there than they did with Ren.

Guys, the story details seem to have leaked. Spoiler tagged it just in case you don't want to know the details...

During the exploration of Niaowu, Ryo is warned that an old ally, Shuqin Zhang, is in trouble and has potentially been kidnapped. Ryo and his friends soon learn that a new gang of thugs known as the Black Pythons have been harassing the local community and kidnapped Zhang. After an exhausting search of the town, Ryo eventually finds and defeats two of the thugs, but is then, after controlling much of the fight and holding his own well, inexplicably brutally defeated by their boss FuckyNuckySplatterBalls, despite seemingly depleting all of the boss's health prior to the cutscene.

Following this fight, Nozomi shows up and Ryo responds with "oh, I wonder who that girl is with the short skirt and pretty hair. I'm sure I know her from somewhere... eh probably not. She's probably someone I've never seen before like that weird hunchback guy and that Ren guy." Nozomi explains he lacks kung fu and in order to defeat the boss he needs more kung fu.

To gain the kung fu, Nozomi asks Ryo to obtain a special condom from an ancient wisewoman. The ancient wisewoman, explains that the she cannot give Ryo the special condom without him first catching 10 chickens. Upon catching the 10 chickens, the wisewoman promises to hand over the condom, but it comes with a price - $700,000. Ryo must then spend 20 days gambling and save scumming in order to buy the condom. Once obtained, Nozomi promises to teach Ryo a new legendary Bajiquan move... the reverse cowgirl booty slap. Ryo allows Nozomi to teach the move *cut to close up of Ryo's face making the expression he makes when he takes a sip of a drink from the first game*.

Once Ryo has learned the reverse cowgirl booty slap, he defeats the boss and saves Zhang. Ryo turns around to his friends, smiles and then sees Shenhua slit Nozomi's throat. Ryo screams "nooooooo" and the screen fades to black.
I have literally never laughed so hard. The irony of this is very funny.

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

Is this the only storyline DLC coming? Will we get DLC that fleshes out more of the plot on Shenmue 3? Has it been announced how many DLC releases there will be?

Back