Streets of Rage 4 announced

Hopefully, it'll be multiplatform as much as possible. If this does well, hopefully there will be a Streets of Rage 5. I'm glad some of the old enemies with the Mohawks are coming back. Will it play homage to the first game where you have the option to take out the boss or join the boss? Will you have the option for you and your partner to fight each other? There is so much to look forward to.

I saw this announcement on my way to work this morning and got excited. I have just got back from work and have now seen the reveal trailer and my first impressions are:
  • Same developers as Wonderboy III remake! Nice!
  • I am not a fan of the artwork it looks cheap to me. This style may suit something like Wonderboy but not SoR..
  • Only Axel & Blaze ( though I am sure they will probably include just about everybody eventually)
  • No mention of Ancient or Yuzo Koshiro involvement?
Overall I have faith in the developer, but I am a little disappointed in the art direction and with the lack of involvement of Ancient/Yuzo Koshiro. They probably could've avoided my disappointment by not calling it Streets of Rage "4" seeing as how there will be little to no involvement from Ancient...

...But at the end of the day even after the issues mentioned, I still have a lot of faith in the developers; The Dragon Trap remake was excellent and if they bring the same passion they brought to that then we are in for a good time.

I thought they lost the source code to most of their ip's in some sort of restructuring,

That's the story I've heard with Panzer Dragoon Saga at least. Still, and admitting I know nothing, I would think some sort of emulated port would be possible.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this was commissioned to be resurrected solely based on the reception and success of the remasters of the beloved series we just got.

I would bet top dollar Shenmue's success has them looking further back than just this..

And tangentially, I think this bodes very well for Shenmue IV happening.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's much more likely due to the success of the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake that was developed by the same studio.

Time to replay the first two on my Sega Game Gear again! Woot!

SoRGG.jpg Streets%20of%20Rage%202%20(2).jpg SoR2GG.jpg

I'll be picking this up on PS4 for sure. Hoping for both couch and online co-op.

Last edited:
Some online gaming entites have played the game and CheapAssGamer said it's amazing:

Whilst ArsTechnica were more specific and posted a preview from a behind closed doors hands-on at PAX:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...s-of-rage-4-windjammers-2-take-us-back-to-94/

And also said it's very good - though still early at this stage. They asked about the soundtrack and were told there'd be an announcement coming up about it in the future seemingly confirming that Yuzo Koshiro is very probably scoring the game.

All sounding very good so far. Positive previews, particularly this early, is super promising.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what sort of sound Yuzo will go for with this game, keep the Euro Dance & 90s House influence or go for a more Trance sound or 80s synth or make the soundtrack 16bit? (Note: He does this with Etrian Odyssey and gives it a PC-FM synth OST)

And is it a guarantee he will be doing the entire score himself? Normally when these games get outsourced they get their own Sound guys to do most of the music and get the original composer back to do the theme and maybe one or two other tracks. I'm taking a wait and see approach first.

Makes me wonder what sort of sound Yuzo will go for with this game, keep the Euro Dance & 90s House influence or go for a more Trance sound or 80s synth or make the soundtrack 16bit? (Note: He does this with Etrian Odyssey and gives it a PC-FM synth OST)

And is it a guarantee he will be doing the entire score himself? Normally when these games get outsourced they get their own Sound guys to do most of the music and get the original composer back to do the theme and maybe one or two other tracks. I'm taking a wait and see approach first.

It's unknown at this point, but on the credits on SOR4's press page there's a space for composer that shows TBA, inferring it's just one composer, so presumably it'd be just Yuzo. Then again, he was asked to provide music for The Takeover, a Streets of Rage spiritual successor and only contributed one track, so yeah it's best just to wait and see and see what this big mysterious music announcement they have planned actually is, though I still believe they're holding him back for marketing purposes.

They're in a difficult position too, as since their announcement there's been a storm of feedback that is basically "Koshiro on-board or not interested" so they're very pressured to have him. As in, if there wasn't a deal with him in place before they'd certainly be seeking one now with the power of the sun, as fans want him back so much. He also did highly infer he's already working on the soundtrack but we have to wait for the publisher's announcement to confirm. Anything could happen I suppose, but whatever this music announcement is, it's seemingly quite the big one - so hopefully it's him.

As for the music I'd love a modern, electronic take on music that's similar to what was featured in SOR1 and 2. Some of the best video game music of all-time, even with the limits of the Megadrive hardware.

Holy cow, Sega is finally giving the fans what they want! First, they revive the Shenmue brand and now Streets of Rage! If someone would have told me three and a half years ago that Shenmue 3 and Streets of Rage 4 would both be announced, I would have declared them insane!

Concerning the trailer itself, most of the NPCs and also Blaze look fine but Axel with a hipster beard? If they intend to leave him the way he looks now, this is gonna take a lot of time getting used to. In general I'm not really big on this "Comix Zone" art style but I can put up with it.

The music needs a lot less guitars and more of the old electronic sound though. Doesn't evoke any SoR feeling at all at the moment. But if they really can get Yuzo Koshiro, then nothing can go wrong, with the Grand Master of video game music on board.

All in all I'm very much looking forward to this. It will probably be a day one purchase for me and it will be a very happy day, seeing this venerable old Sega brand revived.

Am I the only one who preferred Motohiro Kawashima's tracks?

Another preview from VG247:

https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/02/streets-rage-4-hands-on-gameplay/

This preview is also glowing. The primary point they make is that it feels exactly like classic Streets of Rage meaning they nailed the gameplay and engine - but there's some degree of evolution to earn its status as a sequel. Good news all-round - and I think the previews that are coming out being uniformly super positive is a strong sign that this'll be an awesome game. Also:

Expect a big announcement regarding the classic soundtrack too.

This heavily infers it's Yuzo Koshiro on the soundtrack - or at least some attempt will be made so that the soundtrack echoes the original games. According to this we'll find out soon.

I was always a Final Fight man myself, and I've honestly never properly played a Streets of Rage game before (be gentle!), but this really does look cool. If there's a physical PS4 release planned, then I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. It would be really cool if the original games were included with the release too.

Am I the only one who preferred Motohiro Kawashima's tracks?

He definitely did the best tracks in Streets of Rage 3, that's for sure. Moon, Fuze, Cycle I, The Poets I, Boss and Cycle II were the best tracks in that game. Expander is one of my favourite tracks in Streets of Rage 2. I do have a soft spot for Yuzo's music on the original though.

That's the story I've heard with Panzer Dragoon Saga at least. Still, and admitting I know nothing, I would think some sort of emulated port would be possible.
They can probably reverse engineer the game to get the source code.

Extensive behind the scenes feature from Nintendo Life here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...of_rage_4_the_sequel_we_thought_wed_never_see
New preview and impressions from US Gamer here: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/streets-of-rage-4-preview

Nintendo Life's feature in particular has loads of new info, such as them knowing how important the music for the game is, with an announcement coming "soon" in addition to more revelations like whether the police car assistance feature will return (it probably will) and whether Mr. X will be the nemesis (probably not by the sounds of it). Also to anyone having reservations about the engine those concerns seem unfounded as Guard Crush have been working for ten years on perfecting beat em up engines and it sounds like they intend to use that to create one hell of an engine for this game.

Might not have covered everything there so I highly recommend reading the full feature. US Gamer basically said "we were sceptical upon announcement, but we played it and it's awesome" and that's about it, outside of indicating the game is releasing in 2019 at the end of the article (could just be conjecture, rather than say hard confirmation of the actual release timeframe). Either way the game seems to be shaping up well. I'm still waiting on whether Koshiro will be coming back for the music, but it does seem like the perfect developers are making this and the game should turn out great. Hopefully.

Also there is one big revelation in the Nintendo Life feature that DotEmu wants to continue to work with Sega and resurrect more Sega franchises after this with games like Alex Kidd namedropped. They want to make SOR4 as awesome as possible so Sega agrees to work with them again. Sega fans have a bright future it seems.

Also there is one big revelation in the Nintendo Life feature that DotEmu wants to continue to work with Sega and resurrect more Sega franchises after this with games like Alex Kidd namedropped. They want to make SOR4 as awesome as possible so Sega agrees to work with them again. Sega fans have a bright future it seems.

I would love to see them make an Alex Kidd game, I think they would be perfect for it. Importantly, their art style would be suit it down to a tee.

On SoR4 I have no doubt that the gameplay will be great n' all but once again my main concern is the art style which I believe doesn't suit it.
That might not be everyone's opinion though, but for instance I got excited when this was announced and mentioned the remake to one of my brothers, whom I used to play the originals with all the time, he was also excited until he saw the art style and... it kind of sucked the excitement away... I kind of wish it was just a little more, I dunno grittier or something . / rant

Oh well it is what it is, I promise that is the last time I will complain about the art style.

Wrote a very supportive and glowing feature/preview of the game that whilst holds no new revelations does serve as a decent summation of everything we know about the game so far. Wanted to support this awesome project and the developers, and keep the hype going as I'm beyond excited for the game, as a die-hard Sega fan from the old days. It's here for anyone that wants to read it:

https://www.pwrdown.com/gaming/streets-of-rage-4-is-beyond-awesome/

Yuzo Koshiro just did a Streets of Rage concert and confirmed in an interview he has been talking to the Streets of Rage 4 developers. So his soundtrack is almost confirmed!

The devs also tweeted about his concert so something is happening:

I believe this is another case where SEGA just granted the use of the license, like Shenmue III. Streets Of Rage 4 is listed nowhere on their websites/social media that I could find.

Back