Streets of Rage 4 announced

Played Space Channel 5 VR and Streets of Rage 4 at PAX East today. Very good.

Yeah I got to play Streets of Rage as well thank god. I had muscle into the line cause it was always capped. Got caught and kicked off twice, third time was the charm. That was probably the highlight of my day...

I kind of hate to admit it, but that newest trailer made the game look really good. I'm likely going to buy it now. Still not super happy with the (imo) cartoonier art direction of the game, or the fact it's being dev'd by a western studio, but I guess it looks like they've done a good job all the same.
I'm honestly a little concerned after playing the demo. But there was a dev in there, the background designer, talking to us saying it's still a work in progress blah blah but he wouldn't answer any of our questions. Like, we couldn't run and we asked about that. I don't remember being able to dodge roll either. We couldn't turn off friendly hitting, and we also asked about online mode and a few other things. Each time he just said he can't answer... There were lots of things that got me concerned but I'm still being hopeful. In his defense, the backgrounds looked really, really nice lmfao

I'm honestly a little concerned after playing the demo. But there was a dev in there, the background designer, talking to us saying it's still a work in progress blah blah but he wouldn't answer any of our questions. Like, we couldn't run and we asked about that. I don't remember being able to dodge roll either. We couldn't turn off friendly hitting, and we also asked about online mode and a few other things. Each time he just said he can't answer... There were lots of things that got me concerned but I'm still being hopeful. In his defense, the backgrounds looked really, really nice lmfao
I'm sure a friendly fire toggle will be in the settings by the time the game releases, but as far as running... I don't know, unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if they model it after 2 (where only Skate could run and no one could roll) since that's the one everyone played.

No idea why it hasn't been posted here yet, but this is huge news, ladies and gentlemen! It seems, Sega have been able to compile an incredible lineup of composers for SoR4.

Not only will the soundtrack feature Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima - let's not kidd ourselves, it wouldn't have been SoR without Koshiro - but also Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio), Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter 2, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana) and Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden).

My hype level for this game is off the charts right now. But see for yourself.

I'm very disappointed watching the demo which is an entire stage, with basically static backgrounds. There's less animation on Axel tossing Blaze onto enemies than what was done in SoR1 28 years ago, and they are still doing background transitions as if this beat'em up game was powered by a 90's hardware. Enemies are retaining the exact same simplistic attack patterns and animation from old, meanwhile Blaze & Axel now can simply ignore enemy weight (fat guy) when tossing them around. Everything just screams backwards. No run, dodge, special command moves or special weapon attacks to be seen on the demo, while Blaze & Axel still continue to have only one attack pattern in 2019! I get the developers are going for nostalgia and pleasing the fans, but this is supposed to be SoR 4, not a remake from the original Genesis game. While I understand this is still a work in progress, so far this looks like a step back from Streets of Rage 3, made 25 years ago.

Last edited:

I'm very disappointed watching the demo which is basically an entire stage, with basically static backgrounds. There's less animation on Axel tossing Blaze onto enemies than what was done in SoR1 28 years ago, and they are still doing stage transitions as if this game was powered by a 90's hardware. Enemies are retaining the exact same simplistic attack patterns and animation from old, meanwhile Blaze & Axel now can simply ignore enemy weight (fat guy) when tossing them around. Everything just screams backwards. No run, dodge, special command moves or special weapon attacks to be seen on the demo, while Blaze & Axel still continue to have only one attack pattern in 2019! I get the developers are going for nostalgia and pleasing the fans, but this is supposed to be SoR 4, not a remake from the original Genesis game. While I understand this is still a work in progress, so far this looks like a step back from Streets of Rage 3, made 25 years ago.
I agree that ignoring everything SoR3 added is really lame. It's the best game in the series, but people tend to ignore it because they don't like the music. Honestly, the biggest hurdle for me is still the cartoony western artstyle. I just don't like it, looks like a cheap flash game. The gameplay still looks solid enough in spite of all that, but I just can't get over how much I wish the original JP staff were developing and animating this instead.

^ I wouldn't be this critical if this was just a remake, like what this developer did for the Wonder Boy game. But man, they are telling me Streets of Rage 4 is just a reskin from 2? Sad as the series was one of my most cherished as a kid, with SoR1 being the first console game I played in my life.

Last edited:
Yeah, the art style looks really weird. Doesn't fit SoR at all but what would you expect from Sega, who are more of a publisher than a developer these days? They license out almost every IP except for 3D Sonic, Yakuza and Sakura Wars. This is what happens when you license everything out to Western studios.

Still excited for this game because of the soundtrack.

Yeah, the art style looks really weird. Doesn't fit SoR at all but what would you expect from Sega, who are more of a publisher than a developer these days? They license out almost every IP except for 3D Sonic, Yakuza and Sakura Wars. This is what happens when you license everything out to Western studios.

Still excited for this game because of the soundtrack.
I think it looks like a modernized version. Different, yes, but not so much so that it is unrecognizable.

Some additional new info (I think):
  • 12 stages
  • $24.99
  • eshop showed release date of April 23rd, developer claims not true but releasing "soon"
Wondering if the SoR3 versions of characters will have their running ability among other things. It'll be interesting to see how they balance all the iterations against one another.

edit: damn you nathan, beat me to it!

I have to admit I have not played any of the SOR games in depth...is there any reason why the SOR3 soundtrack isn't included? Does it have licensing issues due to added composers or something?

I have to admit I have not played any of the SOR games in depth...is there any reason why the SOR3 soundtrack isn't included? Does it have licensing issues due to added composers or something?
I wondered about that too! It was a bit of a departure from the soundtracks of the previous two games and had a more mixed reception, so maybe that's it, but I still think it would be worth having.

Back