"Striking while the iron is hot" | If we want Shenmue IV, we have to act now, not 4 years down the road

I don't really want to buy the DLC if it's download only. If they release a complete edition with all the DLC or release the DLC on a standalone disc kinda like what happened with Xenoblade 2, I'll buy it/another copy of the game.

Shenmue III isn't my favorite game in the series, but we finally made it out the cave. 5 years from now, I hope we're not saying that we're still walking up the Great Wall. If it comes to another Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, I'm all in.

Dont buy multiple copies of the game to try and help it. This is not your responsibility. Y'all need to relax.

Nice thread. I have already bought 2 copies of the game, (my Kickstarter Version not included) and I am also going to write a thank you E mail.

Although I would not support DLC under normal circumstances ( I do not like the business model) I will make a expection for Shenmue in order to support the Franchise.
I'm with you on that man. Never bought DLC before in my life... But Shenmue is special. :p

I have a youtube channel and I've been doing a video on Shenmue III nearly every day for the past couple months, I am not sure if it's ok for me to shamelessly plug it here or not though
Yes dude, plug your channel if you're not feeling shy. As far as I'm concerned, you're doing us all a favor by pumping the S3 vids out.

Write good reviews on Amazon and other websites. Alot of parents buy games for their kids based on review scores. My auntie has does this for her kids in the past with interesting results. I'm giving a copy of S3 to my cousin for Christmas. He really liked s1 and s2 remasters. So write a 5 star Amazon review and other websites. It will appear in the best rated category and increase chances of sales.
Also be aware that you can click "helpful" on all the five star reviews to send them to the top.

Even if I have the money, I cant justify buying multiple copies of the same product just to hopefully, possibly, maybe get a sequel. It's not fair to pressure people to do cover down on lack of sales from the rest of the gaming community. In fact, its actually on some entitled shit. Especially when people complaining about the development of the game with the whole epic deal and other happenings were called entitled. But now it's our job to pay 60 dollars multiple times over? Nah.

. I want to see this game succeed, but if it flops for the third time, clearly this wasn't meant to be. Definitely buying the DLC though.

Unfortunately all the negative publicity of this game due to the Epic Game Store ordeal (which aside from the reaction to it, Epic did give Ys Net 3 million), which was exasperated by current gen clickbait outrage culture social media vloggers on YouTube and Twitter etc put the general public at a distance with this series; and now you have to reviews we all knew were coming which isnt helping things either. Even many Yakuza fans who you'd think would be on board with a Shenmue game (at least I am), scoffed at the very concept of this game as they felt Shenmue is a relic worth forgetting 'since we have Yakuza'. So you got the sales which may or may not be impressive; heavy on the may not, the angry 'Steam only' PC Shenmue fans who have to wait a year, possibly some bitter XBox or even Switch fans who didnt get the game and wanna shit on Sony owners and bandwagon on the hate brigade, the video game journalists picking the game apart, as well as the YouTube vloggers capitalizing on all this.
Overall its a hard climb
Every time I've heard yakuza mentioned alongside shenmue was in the context of "why play shenmue when you could play yakuza?"

Every time I've heard yakuza mentioned alongside shenmue was in the context of "why play shenmue when you could play yakuza?"

Yeah I hate that line so much.

It kinda reminds me of "why take martial arts when you can just buy a gun?" (aka what kinda stupid question is that? Why not both? A gun does not teach you how to live your life better.)

If you break down both series, at their core they are different games, despite both being RPGs that focus on hand to hand combat, semi open world simulation introducing many to modern Asian culture, and a lot of character interaction.

Shenmue, feels more at its core as a point and click adventure game. This is why when you play games completely different from it like David Cage's games (who was influenced by Shenmue), Deadly Premonition, Life is Strange, Syberia, Dreamfall, Mezzenia Falls etc, you get that similar tone. On the combat level, its DNA was from Virtua Fighter.

Yakuza, feels more at its core as a beat em up. This is why when you play games like Kenka Banchou series, Sleeping Dogs, Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance, Final Fight Streetwise, Rise to Honor, and Gatchitora! A Roughneck Teacher in High School, you get that similar feel. On the combat level, its DNA was from Spikeout: Final Edtion.

Shenmue story wise focus on the moral implications of revenge through the lense of Martial Arts philosophy.

Yakuza story wise focuses on the themes of honor and family within a crime drama TV like series; kinda reminiscent of Japanese soap operas/ action movies with their plot twists and such.

Because of the nature of its DNA being aligned to a beat em up, combat interaction is more frequent in Yakuza since any random thugs on the street will always engage in a fight with Kiryu, even if out of main story context it wouldnt make sense (Japan is one of the safest places to live; yes Yakuza and gangs exist but they wont go running around beating people up on the street randomly lol so clearly its a game related mechanic)

So its two completely different things you get out of both games despite the fact that yes, Nagoshi was an underling at one time of Suzuki so he still holds him in high reverence (which is why Suzuki's classic games are playable within Yakuza but we have yet to see Super Monkey Ball, Daytona USA, Slashout, Planet Harriers, Spiker's Battle, Scud Race, and Spikeout; all Nagoshi classic titles) and the many inspirations Shenmue obviously had on the game (but then again you can argue that for many other games outside of Yakuza that Shenmue no doubt inspired. Even GTA, RDR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher, Oblivion/Skyrim, Fallout, Saints Row, Watch Dogs, Kenka Banchou, Shinjuku no Ookami and Mafia although those developers will probably never admit it)

And that is why I cant understand why people would trash one to raise the other. Someone accused me of doing that earlier here but he misread what I typed. I was pointing out the positives and negatives of both series; not pitting them against each other. Some people simply lack critical thinking and their allegiance to games, consoles, PC or nostalgia get in the way of common sense.

Last edited:
Even if I have the money, I cant justify buying multiple copies of the same product just to hopefully, possibly, maybe get a sequel. It's not fair to pressure people to do cover down on lack of sales from the rest of the gaming community. In fact, its actually on some entitled shit. Especially when people complaining about the development of the game with the whole epic deal and other happenings were called entitled. But now it's our job to pay 60 dollars multiple times over? Nah.

. I want to see this game succeed, but if it flops for the third time, clearly this wasn't meant to be. Definitely buying the DLC though.
If anything this is the opposite of entitlement.
No one here is forcing anyone to buy multiple copies, but if they want to help the franchise's future chances, this one of the ways to do it.

No one here is forcing anyone to buy multiple copies, but if they want to help the franchise's future chances, this one of the ways to do it.

Yeah thats not the definition of entitlement dont know where he was going with that statement lol

Im just advising that you be a little smarter with your money and that buying more copies of Shenmue 3 is probably going to do nothing for Shenmue 4. I know it feels like a vote, but you're wasting your money. "Every little bit helps" only goes so far and you're really just pissing in the ocean. Consider yourself first, Shenmue second. Do what you want, but I think it's pretty stupid. Take a moment, relax, and stop living in fear of shenmue's future. Itll happen or it wont.

Last edited:
Im just advising that you be a little smarter with your money and that buying more copies of Shenmue 3 is probably going to do nothing for Shenmue 4. I know it feels like a vote, but you're wasting your money. "Every little bit helps" only goes so far and you're really just pissing in the ocean. Consider yourself first, Shenmue second. Do what you want, but I think it's pretty stupid. Take a moment, relax, and stop living in fear of shenmue's future. Itll happen or it wont.

I think contacting Sega might help. Like everyone here contacting Sega. Show them the fanbase is still interested and their help would be needed

When one is being told it is their responsibility to buy multiple copies to keep the game afloat, yes, its entitlement. There is a difference between simple encouragement and tasking someone to do something. Forcing is irrelevant as those backers who were bitching about things yall deemed silly were labeled as entitled even though they didnt force Yu Suzuki to do anything.

Dont buy multiple copies of the game to try and help it. This is not your responsibility. Y'all need to relax.
"It is. People who want S4 need to buy S3. Buying S3 is our S4 Kickstarter."

"It is" our responsibility to buy multiple copies. Sounds like entitlement.

Last edited:
When one is being told it is their responsibility to buy multiple copies to keep the game afloat, yes, its entitlement. There is a difference between simple encouragement and tasking someone to do something. Forcing is irrelevant as those backers who were bitching about things yall deemed silly were labeled as entitled even though they didnt force Yu Suzuki to do anything.
Entitlement to what exactly?
The last part of your post is a strawman that has no bearing on the discussion

"It is. People who want S4 need to buy S3. Buying S3 is our S4 Kickstarter."

"It is" our responsibility to buy multiple copies. Sounds like entitlement.

No it isn't. Please pick up a dictionary lmao

Entitlement to what exactly?
The last part of your post is a strawman that has no bearing on the discussion
Entitlement to expect fans to spend more money on the game than one should. And regarding the last part of my post, I brought it up because pre release, any criticism of the development process was met with accusations of entitlement(some instances did come off as entitled honestly). But after the consumer has done their part and purchased a copy, some fans who fear the game will flop literally tell other fans the responsibility to ensure the games future fall on them. Since when was covering down for other people's lack of interest and obligation? That sounds like fans in the shenmue community being entitled on Yu Suzuki/Deep Silver's behalf. If it's a negative point on Shenmue, its considered entitled. If it benefits the possibility of getting 4, it isn't for some reason.

Entitlement to expect fans to spend more money on the game than one should. And regarding the last part of my post, I brought it up because pre release, any criticism of the development process was met with accusations of entitlement(some instances did come off as entitled honestly). But after the consumer has done their part and purchased a copy, some fans who fear the game will flop literally tell other fans the responsibility to ensure the games future fall on them. Since when was covering down for other people's lack of interest and obligation? That sounds like fans in the shenmue community being entitled on Yu Suzuki/Deep Silver's behalf. If it's a negative point on Shenmue, its considered entitled. If it benefits the possibility of getting 4, it isn't for some reason.
That's not what entitlement is...

Buying multiple copies is just a way for people to support the franchise, no one is obligated or pressured into doing so. It says so in the OP "... How you can help" and "...If you're financially able".

You just registered today and you're making a big stink out of a non-issue, who gives a shit what people said about EGS, implying the whole collective community called those who bitched about EGS entitled? That's the definition of Strawman.

Back