Subtitles Localization

ShenmueHDTools is the one you need. When you press "save", are TAC/TAD files being updated (you can check edit time)?
If files updating properly, you can't see any changes in the game, or texts looks wrong?

CreateProject with ShenmueHDTools. _common_5 b 7 bcbc 7. tad _ folder
will be created. Change the SUB in it to CSV with ShenmueHDSubsRebuild and save the contents of the contents with UTF - 8 by entering your favorite characters. Changed to SUB by ShenmueHDSubsRebuild.
Save with Shenmue HDTools. (We are updating time)
ShenmueHDTools is the one you need. When you press "save", are TAC/TAD files being updated (you can check edit time)?
If files updating properly, you can't see any changes in the game, or texts looks wrong?

But it has not changed.

When you open it with Shenmue HDTools, there are no changes to csv.

Change common_5b7bcbc7.tad_ folder to common_5b7bcbc7.tad
Is not it not done?

Sorry, can't see obvious reason for your problem.
You have to check:
1. sub file is updated (check the date)
2. updated sub file is copied to the _common_ folder
3. tad/tac files updated as well after you press "save" in ShenmueHDTools
4. you have copied these tad/tac files in game folder

I guess you did something wrong and still using original files instead of modded. If #1 is passed, you should probably ask for support in related topic - https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-hd-modtools-v1-1.366/

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble.

Whenever I extract 832.sub to a csv archive, it goes to ANSI automatically and I can't get the correct form for line breaks.

You can see in the attached images, the German file is correct (836.sub), they display that XA1XF5 white highlighted text, but in the English file (832.sub) it displays ;õ in its place and I can't get any line breaks in the game, even after converting the file from ANSI do UTF-8.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 832.png
    832.png
    61 KB · Views: 44
  • 836.png
    836.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 43
It happen sometimes after several conversions at row (like utf8 code convert to utf8 again). I guess you should use HEX editor to replace bytes of the ";õ " on A1F5

I did exactly as you said and it worked!

Everything converted back to normal, tested in game and works like a charm.

Thanks!

Hi!! I was translating the game changing the english fontdef, but there was not so much characters to edit... that's why the same guy as before told me to edit the french fonts. French has a lot of characters that can be used in BR-PR too, like those
French accents
  • L'accent aigu (é)
  • L'accent grave (à, è, ù)
  • L'accent circonflexe or "chapeau" (â, ê, î, ô, û)
  • La cédille (ç)
  • Le tréma (ë, ï, ü)

So you must edit those instead the english one, and then edit the 834.sub file for your translation. Easier to edit in spanish, and maybe in BR-PT.

670 a 689 -> Chinese simplified
690 a 709 -> Chinese traditional
710 a 729 -> English
730 a 749 -> French
750 a 769 -> German
770 a 789 -> Japanese
790 a 809 -> Korean

Then you can edit the "French" in the Language Subtitles part to your language without changing the "English" part at voice in options.

So, in french those are the fonts I found right now, there must be more.

Notebook: 749
Locations at Loading Screen: 743
Day, hour and time at Loading Screen: 744
Configuration Keys at options: 736
Move list at options: 745
Description that appears below or when you do some changes: 733 + Outline: 739
Options: 735 + Outline: 741
Pause help: 734 + Outline: 740
Conversation & the name of the store when you look at it: 731 + Outline: 737

If you want to know where a font appears in the game, after changing the language to french. Change the name of the original fontdef and create a *.txt with the name of that fontdef, create the "export as mod container" and the font must be "invisible".

Some fonts above are used in different places.

Other things you must change now are the dds files for "Non" "Oui", etc. into your language. Easy if you have those translated changing the file name.

Last edited:
Hi!! I was translating the game changing the english fontdef, but there was not so much characters to edit... that's why the same guy as before told me to edit the french fonts. French has a lot of characters that can be used in BR-PR too, like those

So you must edit those instead the english one, and then edit the 834.sub file for your translation. Easier to edit in spanish, and maybe in BR-PT.

Then you can edit the "French" in the Language Subtitles part to your language without changing the "English" part at voice in options.

So, in french those are the fonts I found right now, there must be more.

If you want to know where a font appears in the game, after changing the language to french. Change the name of the original fontdef and create a *.txt with the name of that fontdef, create the "export as mod container" and the font must be "invisible".

Some fonts above are used in different places.

Other things you must change now are the dds files for "Non" "Oui", etc. into your language. Easy if you have those translated changing the file name.

Those are some awesome tips!

How do you edit the fontdef files? I would just need to add three more to the french file for complete pt-br compatibility.

I'll test translating the 832 and changing it to the french number, then tranform and replace the french one to create the mod containers. I wonder if that will work... I'll check in the morning.

I'm having a blast doing this.

It works!!! Just switching the filename to 834 and replacing the 834 sub file in the _common_ and the new characters are supported.

ifhazardous, if it's not asking too much, could you help me replace the remaining characters on the french file? They can replace è, ù, î, û, ë, ï, ü, we don't use any of those. It's only missing Á á, Í í, Ú ú, Ó ó. Thanks!!!

It works!!! Just switching the filename to 834 and replacing the 834 sub file in the _common_ and the new characters are supported.

ifhazardous, if it's not asking too much, could you help me replace the remaining characters on the french file? They can replace è, ù, î, û, ë, ï, ü, we don't use any of those. It's only missing Á á, Í í, Ú ú, Ó ó. Thanks!!!
I'll try this afternoon when I'm Back at home. (11:30AM here). But it's easier than it looks, You only need to edit the fontdefs changing the header with hexdex then save it as dds and edit thosr fonts adding the ' to the letters you didn' t use. After tha deleite again the header and Save it as fontdef.

I'll try this afternoon when I'm Back at home. (11:30AM here). But it's easier than it looks, You only need to edit the fontdefs changing the header with hexdex then save it as dds and edit thosr fonts adding the ' to the letters you didn' t use. After tha deleite again the header and Save it as fontdef.
I'm home right now. I'll try this right away.

And it was late here last time I posted so I forgot two characters on that list. It's missing Á á, Í í, Ú ú, Ó ó, Ã ã, and Õ õ. Let's see if I can get everything to work.

Does anyone have any idea how to replace the French, English or Korean .etc subtitles with the Japanese subtitles because the current beta version v5 of Shenmue on steam removed the ablility to force japanese subtitles in Shenmue 2 via ini?

I tried extracting the Japanese subtitles and renaming them to french.subs.xxxxxxxx.00000000 and loading them via forklift mod loader and it resulted in every text becoming a question mark and also tried renaming Japanese fontdef files to french ones but that resulted in there being no text displayed at all and have no idea if there is corresponding french and japanese frontdef files and have no idea how I would go about identifying them.

Last edited:
You did right thing, but you need to replace all 20 "fontdef" files (which are fonts), maybe you missed some (especially first one).
To identify right font pack you can convert one of the fontdef files (2nd for example, which is dialogs font) into DDS and check which language it is visually in texuture editor. Or you can replace it with empty file and check in the game which language became broken.

Not sure about order in latest version, but before it was:
english.fontdef
Japanese.fontdef
French.fontdef
German.fontdef
Korean.fontdef
ChineseT.fontdef
ChineseS.fontdef

remember that each pack contain 20 files.

You did right thing, but you need to replace all 20 "fontdef" files (which are fonts), maybe you missed some (especially first one).
To identify right font pack you can convert one of the fontdef files (2nd for example, which is dialogs font) into DDS and check which language it is visually in texuture editor. Or you can replace it with empty file and check in the game which language became broken.

Not sure about order in latest version, but before it was:
english.fontdef
Japanese.fontdef
French.fontdef
German.fontdef
Korean.fontdef
ChineseT.fontdef
ChineseS.fontdef

remember that each pack contain 20 files.

I tried renaming japanese to french relating to their size and name and also even tried using the wulinshu databse frontdef listing order to figure out what to rename and that resulted in the game crashing.

I started to modifying the frontdef header to dds this morning but am not sure how to go about sorting them properly though...

Thanks for taking the time to reply

While I was looking at the fontdef files with HXD I noticed that not all the fontdef have the same header and that there are groups frondef that share the same header even across languages... If anyone can help me match up the first two groups as I can't really tell which japanese fontdef file corresponds to which english frondef files in the first two groups... thanks in advance

1.) the first hex line of the following files is FF 86 00 03 30 24 63 3B FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00

english.3ff25922.fontdef
english.47c0588f.fontdef
Japanese.8cc7deb8.fontdef
Japanese.100d8f6d.fontdef

2.) the first hex line of the following files is FF C5 40 02 24 B6 BD 8D FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00

english.cc66f768.fontdef
english.f02fb402.fontdef
Japanese.4d641c25.fontdef
Japanese.77f91c20.fontdef

3.) the first hex line of the following files is FF C5 40 02 D8 DB 26 49 FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00

english.2ab93164.fontdef
Japanese.229de27d.fontdef

4.) the first hex line of the following files is FF EB 40 02 6C 92 24 49 FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00

english.9d8d9a77.fontdef
Japanese.69eaab1f.fontdef

5.) the first hex line of the following files is FF 00 40 02 24 49 92 24 FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00

english.4ac55cbf.fontdef
english.6f742957.fontdef
english.7ef4541f.fontdef
english.9fbc986f.fontdef
english.26bb3f10.fontdef
english.45bc9dbe.fontdef
english.090d96e7.fontdef
english.7599ba5c.fontdef
english.b3561f70.fontdef
english.bb7ac0b3.fontdef
english.c028db5e.fontdef
english.d475df34.fontdef
english.fe570137.fontdef

Japanese.0feeaca6.fontdef
Japanese.3d89c230.fontdef
Japanese.4e2351a1.fontdef
Japanese.6cc2b8cc.fontdef
Japanese.8b6f4b09.fontdef
Japanese.57b48ecf.fontdef
Japanese.65b4d598.fontdef
Japanese.79c29f12.fontdef
Japanese.716b6e52.fontdef
Japanese.585938f6.fontdef
Japanese.a5828a9b.fontdef
Japanese.cb7c3634.fontdef
Japanese.dbac5d7d.fontdef

6.) the first hex line of the following files seem to be more unique but the firt few hex numbers are the same
unique 78 56 34 12

Japanese.3d3b2cbc.fontdef
english.4941d845.fontdef

Looks pretty good for me. You can add black background temporarily to make editing simpler.
File in your example - characters shades, not character themselves. You have to replace symbols in both files (for subtitles font) in same positions, but you can't control paddings from texture so it can look not really perfect at the end. By replace I mean cut pixels of original character and place new character on it's place, it's just usual texture.
When you finished with changes - remove background, save as DDS, remove header and install updated files in the game, you should notice changes in edited fonts.

Seems that file is a shadows file for some font. Those are some katakana and kanji and { } [ ]

Thanks. one more question. Me in game update 4, error when bundling tools back, is unknow files a problem with tools?
does not extract fontdef in other tac tool. What else can I do?

Back