SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

So are you saying Virtua Fighter didn't have good combat? Just because you spammed one move through your whole playthrough (how boring by the way) doesn't mean that's the only way to play or that the combat isn't nuanced or deep or good. That's how you chose to play.
It has to do with Virtua Fighter because it's using essentially the same engine under the hood as VF3TB. There is a massive difference between game difficulty and depth in it's combat system. Just because all the main fights in Shenmue are easy doesn't mean the combat system isn't deep or nuanced just in the same way that if you only played scrubs in Virtua Fighter that doesn't mean it's combat system isn't deep.
Now if only certain people could wrap their heads around the fact that this applies to Shenmue III as well.

As for Shenmue III's combat system, I think it's not as good as the original games but it has potential. If the system added in better input control, animations, parrying, juggling, move properties, throws, and the ability to cancel out of certain moves then you'd have something. If we aren't going to get the Virtua Fighter system back then refining this system would be the optimal way forward in my opinion.
Don't really agree that anything needs to change with the inputs, but the moves in Shenmue III already have a lot of unique properties. Wall bounces, and wall combos are also in the game; No it's not quite the same as what you're probably referring to with "juggles," but it's adjacent. Also you can cancel out of certain moves into others--off the top of my head, I'm almost positive you can cancel out of at least the last hit of A-X-X. Agree with parrying, but it shouldn't be like what's in the first two games (that's almost a 'tap to win' button). I don't have strong feelings about throws, but I'm pretty sure that at this point if Suzuki is going to change anything about the combat, it'll be the inclusion of throws.

You seem to be under the assumption that I think S1 and 2 have perfect combat systems. I have repeatedly characterized them as 20 year old games; the fact that they hold up at all today is a miracle. I actually can't think of a game where combat isn't the sole focus that has a fighting system that holds up as well as Shenmue for its time. If you consider S3 to be as fully featured and deep as a pair of 20 year old games (and you don't), then congratulations, it's met the bare minimum of expectations. I can't think of a single genre (apart from strategy games) where, 20 years on, we're debating if the mechanics of the latest entry are better. I think that S3 should have improved on S1 and 2 so nothing you say is going to convince me that the system isn't a failure because it is.
Completely irrelevant to the actual argument, again. Also totally asinine. It really sounds like you're trying to say that VF2/3 aren't the gold standard for 3D fighting game mechanics, which is pretty laughable. No, there is absolutely no reason why Shenmue III's combat needed to improve on almost literal perfection, or be deemed a failure. That's crazy. That's pretty much the bar that a lot of chronic complainers put Shenmue III up against, though. That's for sure. So, yeah, you have no one to blame other than yourself for your disappointment in many aspects of Shenmue III. I'm glad we were able to reach that conclusion for you, together.

Now look; You've got me continuing on with your useless trains of thought.

dedicated button or combo for it.
Lol, okay. So you've never played Third Strike, I see. Not enough to truly understand how the parries work, at least.

Kingdom Hearts lacks grabs but has parries and a bunch of magic and super attacks, is it as deep or "deeper" than Shenmue 3?
This is literally one of the stupidest comparisons I've ever seen. I'm honestly dumbfounded that you thought this would in any way elevate your position. I can't believe I'm actually going to make an honest attempt to respond to this, but Kingdom Hearts has its own depth to its combat, separate from anything relevant to fighting games. It's really of no particular RELEVANCE whether it's more or less deep than Shenmue III's combat, though. Kingdom Hearts doesn't have actual combos, or wall combos, high/mid/low properties, hit stun, startup/active/recovery animations (as they pertain to fighting games), etc. I'm sure you didn't know Shenmue III's combat has these things, though.

Because they're the hardest fights in the first 2 games! The arcade fight with Chai is the hardest fight in S1, and Izumi and the ranked battles are the hardest fights in S2. So, to compare the systems tested at the highest levels, you have to compare them equally.
Oh you simple fool. You don't even realize how arbitrary your methods are. It's quite sad. There's nothing to say, by this logic, that since the hardest fights in Shenmue III are the 1v3 fights, that you shouldn't compare them exclusively with the 1v3 fights of the first two games, even though those aren't necessarily the most difficult fights in those games. You're such a silly goose.

Completely irrelevant to the actual argument, again. Also totally asinine.
Your only argument appears to be "there's nothing wrong with S3 and anyone who has a problem with it just doesn't understand it".

It really sounds like you're trying to say that VF2/3 aren't the gold standard for 3D fighting game mechanics, which is pretty laughable.
Where did you get that impression from me? Furthermore, how does anything in S3 resemble those gold standard mechanics?

No, there is absolutely no reason why Shenmue III's combat needed to improve on almost literal perfection
You just said S1 and 2 have a 'tap to win' button.

Lol, okay. So you've never played Third Strike, I see. Not enough to truly understand how the parries work, at least.
Wow. Cropping out the part where I specify that your idea to take a 2D mechanic and apply it to a game with 3D movement doesn't work is some next level trolling.

This is literally one of the stupidest comparisons I've ever seen. I'm honestly dumbfounded that you thought this would in any way elevate your position.
Almost as dumb as saying that S3's combat is as fully featured as S1 and 2.

Kingdom Hearts doesn't have actual combos, or wall combos, high/mid/low properties, hit stun, startup/active/recovery animations (as they pertain to fighting games), etc. I'm sure you didn't know Shenmue III's combat has these things, though.
I'm pretty sure you didn't know that Kingdom Hearts has most of these things. Also, what does "as they pertain to fighting games" even mean? Shenmue 3 isn't a fighting game.

Oh you simple fool. You don't even realize how arbitrary your methods are. It's quite sad. There's nothing to say, by this logic, that since the hardest fights in Shenmue III are the 1v3 fights, that you shouldn't compare them exclusively with the 1v3 fights of the first two games, even though those aren't necessarily the most difficult fights in those games. You're such a silly goose.
Since I have no idea what the fuck this word salad is supposed to be driving at: you're right, Shenmue 3's fighting is amazing; I was just too simple to grasp it until now. I quiver with anticipation to see how its influence ripples through the industry and other games try to copy its genius and everyone who ever complained about it (so, like, most people who played it) eats their words.

Last edited:
But it has difficulty selection! So playing S3 on nightmare is equivalent to the hardest fights in S1 and 2.
I suppose that it could be argued that playing S3 on nightmare difficulty with the absolute bare minimal amount of training is the equivalent of fighting Izumi in Shenmue 2, but by that logic, one could also argue that the hardest boss in any game is the equivalent of fighting one of the weapons from Final Fantasy VII or one of the insane raid bosses from FFXIV (that takes literally days to complete). I don't think that the latter would be a fair comparison as not every game has super-bosses designed to really test the player's mastery of the combat system, just as Shenmue 3 does not have a fight that is designed to be as challenging as the Izumi fight in Shenmue 2 is.
But the game doesn't tell you what level you should be at! In a JRPG, if you're facing enemies leveled 10-12, you know that you should be somewhere in that range; you do not grind for a bit and get to level 99 because you're not even given enough XP to do that. S3 only has one gate like that (the rooster step), that prevents Ryo from maxing out too early. If the goal of the training is to modify the difficulty (which I don't think was its intention since the game has difficulty modes) then it's poorly designed in that regard.
Should the game have to tell you what level you're supposed to be at? Is this not something that the player can deduce quite easily based on whether or not fights are too difficult for them? If my party keeps getting wiped out in a JRPG, I know that I need to go and grind some levels just as if I keep getting my ass kicked in Shenmue 3, I know that I need to go and punch a wooden dummy for a while.

Through keeping the player within a set level range, a JRPG is effectively confining a player to the developer's idea of what the difficulty level should be - which is great if the developer gets it right, but in instances where the game is too difficult for the player, grinding to become stronger is an absolute chore due to enemy scaling and the need for more and more XP to improve - whilst if it's too easy, the player is pretty much SooL if they are already playing at max difficulty. By containing multiple elements that directly affect the game's difficulty (difficulty setting, move level, endurance and kung fu), I'd argue that Shenmue 3 offers a lot more control over the game's overall difficulty than a lot of modern games.
It's definitely not optional. You have to beat two dojos worth of opponents to progress the story, which is basically like attempting a naked run in Dark Souls.
If a player is constantly spamming the same move whilst working through the dojos and the game's main story, then yes - that move is going to reach max level fairly quickly which in turn is going to decrease difficulty. If the player is using a wide variety of moves however (which I'd expect somebody looking to find as much challenge in the game as possible to be doing), I don't think the gains would be significant enough to dramatically alter the overall difficulty. I think the same is true with the very few instances where the game forces you to interact with the wooden training dummies and if the player really wanted to, they could intentionally fail these sections so as not to improve Ryo's stats (although as the gain is so insignificant, I'm not really sure why anyone would want to do this).
There's a reason you don't see that, or open world games in general, attempted on a low budget.
Agreed, which I think is why I'm willing to cut Yu a little slack when it comes to some of the areas that the game was perhaps lacking. He and his team crammed a hell of a lot into Shenmue 3 - and whilst there were elements of the game that weren't perfect - that he was (imo) able to create a game that felt like a Shenmue game (whilst still incorporating pretty much everything one would expect from a Shenmue game to some degree) is some achievement given the budget and relative inexperience of his team.

That's interesting, I didn't know that, I thought Baisha was cut earlier than that. It would stand to reason that many scenes that don't make a ton of sense were basically the victims of being cobbled together with what they had if that's the case. Still not a good look, but it makes sense. I'd be very curious to know more goings on behind the scenes.
To be clear here, what I should have said is that the decision to cut Baisha from the game was announced somewhere between recording of the English dub and the game's release. Unless I'm mistaken, we have no idea exactly when during development the decision to cut Baisha from the game was made. That there is so much that we don't know about the game's development is one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to be too critical of it (or at least the people who made it).
From what we have to go on, the Cliff Temple is where the mirrors were stored after they were created until they were removed from there by Sunming Zhao to protect them from the CYM. Now the CYM have both mirrors and are going back to the Cliff Temple for unknown reasons. Unfortunately, Elder Yeh says that the scroll from Bailu Village is the treasure map, even though the mirrors are supposed to be the treasure map and, doubly unfortunately, the scroll is ultimately useless in S3 since Chai tells them to go to Niaowu and Yuan tells them to go to the Cliff Temple. So it's possible that S3 is implying that the mirrors are no longer a map and the two only function as a key, but that would mean we're much closer to the end of the story. As I said, it's a mess.
Agreed.
In my opinion, if Iwao didn't kill Sunming the story is fundamentally broken. Doesn't mean he couldn't have been justified or whatever, but he definitely had to have done it. Path of the warrior and all that.
I can see a few situations where Iwao didn't kill Sunming that would make sense, but I do think that it's probably more likely that he did,
But S3 abandons the chapter structure, in S1 and 2, Ryo writes a little chapter number above the entries in his journal (1. Yokosuka 2. Hong Kong 3. Kowloon (which is in Hong Kong, but still) and 4. Guilin.
I was joking here. I think the chapter structure was more or less abandoned during Shenmue 2 with them now serving more as a rough guide for the story.
He cites the 18,000 figure, then talks about Astral Chain and Code Vein, then talks about DS, then he says similar numbers all over the world. The sentence doesn't make any sense without "in Japan" somewhere so I'm willing to chalk it up to an editing mistake, rather than him deliberately misleading.
I'm always weary of 'mistakes' that conveniently happen to support a person's argument - especially when that person seems to make a habit of making these kind of 'mistakes'.
This is where your point about him making a good video taking precedent really comes into play since he mentions the successful KS when painting a picture of how excited he was for the game but likely didn't want to repeat the information later in the video when it may have been more informative.
Agreed. In order for it to fit his 'terrible game, terrible performance' narrative, It obviously made more sense for him to use the game's success on Kickstarter as a way of highlighting how disappointing he perceived it to be rather than as a sign of how successful the game was in terms of the number of copies it shifted.
No, we see that the average person who has beaten Shenmue 3 thinks that (which is a very skewed audience). I think the fact that S3 failed to reach a larger audience shows that the "average gamer" was simply not interested in playing the game for one reason or another. I don't think this can be blamed entirely on negative reviews since 1. plenty of games get negative reviews and still sell well and 2. the negative reviews don't fundamentally misrepresent the game (it's slow, you spend a lot of time grinding and talking to people, there isn't a lot of action, the combat isn't very engaging etc.) even if they do exacerbate its flaws.
I agree that reviews are not solely responsible as there is no doubt a huge section of gamers who know enough about the series to know that it's not the type of game they would enjoy. That's fair enough - as Shenmue is clearly not a game for everyone. I do think though that anybody taking the time to read or watch a review of the game probably doesn't fall into this group and are perhaps somewhat open to the idea of playing the game if it seems like something they would like.

That in this instance they are not really shown what the game is like makes that choice for them. And yes, the broader criticisms levied against the game do hold true, but it's portrayed as being a lot slower than it actually is, the amount of time spent grinding is a lot less than the video implies, talking to people is shown to be much more of a chore than it actually is, etc. People have certain thresholds for what they will and wont accept from a videogame when it comes to things like grinding and pacing - and the difference between the reality of Shenmue 3 and it's portrayal in this video might be enough to push the game from one side of that line to the other.

I suppose that it could be argued that playing S3 on nightmare difficulty with the absolute bare minimal amount of training is the equivalent of fighting Izumi in Shenmue 2, but by that logic, one could also argue that the hardest boss in any game is the equivalent of fighting one of the weapons from Final Fantasy VII or one of the insane raid bosses from FFXIV (that takes literally days to complete). I don't think that the latter would be a fair comparison as not every game has super-bosses designed to really test the player's mastery of the combat system, just as Shenmue 3 does not have a fight that is designed to be as challenging as the Izumi fight in Shenmue 2 is.
My point was that, since S1 and 2 don't have any difficulty modes, and to get the highest challenge out of S3's opponents you have to play on Nightmare, the two systems can only really be compared at the highest level against their respective "hardest" opponents. Obviously if they were fighting games you'd be able to get two people who are really good at the game to test high-level play, but since all we have is AI, then that's as good as it's going to get. What level you are or what moves you have unlocked shouldn't really factor into that.

Should the game have to tell you what level you're supposed to be at? Is this not something that the player can deduce quite easily based on whether or not fights are too difficult for them? If my party keeps getting wiped out in a JRPG, I know that I need to go and grind some levels just as if I keep getting my ass kicked in Shenmue 3, I know that I need to go and punch a wooden dummy for a while.
Except one of those stats is tied directly to your ability to explore the world, so the game more than incentivizes you to max out your health. And really? You're supposed to try a fight after each level you gain just to find the sweet spot? You get absolutely melted as you work your way up the dojo with no training (implying that you're quite far off your level).

Through keeping the player within a set level range, a JRPG is effectively confining a player to the developer's idea of what the difficulty level should be - which is great if the developer gets it right
Game design is hard, I'll give you that.

but in instances where the game is too difficult for the player, grinding to become stronger is an absolute chore due to enemy scaling and the need for more and more XP to improve - whilst if it's too easy, the player is pretty much SooL if they are already playing at max difficulty.
This isn't really an apples to apples comparison because many JRPGs take different strategies into account so if you're over-leveled, you still need to exploit and punish an enemy weakness and deal with their strengths. It takes a long time to level up to the degree that you can just brute force most fights. In S3, 1. I would argue that grinding is even more of a chore since it's done outside of combat, and 2. there is no real strategy at play, nearly every enemy can be beaten in the same way (S2 had lots of opponents that incentivized different tactics, rudimentary though they may have been, to defeat) so their difficulty comes exclusively from how much damage they can deal/sustain.

By containing multiple elements that directly affect the game's difficulty (difficulty setting, move level, endurance and kung fu), I'd argue that Shenmue 3 offers a lot more control over the game's overall difficulty than a lot of modern games.
In theory this is true, and likely the thought process behind the systems. In practice, most players will max out or nearly max out their health in order to better facilitate exploration and, if you're good at the game, combat just becomes tedious if your attack power is too low as it just takes longer to defeat enemies.

If a player is constantly spamming the same move whilst working through the dojos and the game's main story, then yes - that move is going to reach max level fairly quickly which in turn is going to decrease difficulty. If the player is using a wide variety of moves however (which I'd expect somebody looking to find as much challenge in the game as possible to be doing), I don't think the gains would be significant enough to dramatically alter the overall difficulty. I think the same is true with the very few instances where the game forces you to interact with the wooden training dummies and if the player really wanted to, they could intentionally fail these sections so as not to improve Ryo's stats (although as the gain is so insignificant, I'm not really sure why anyone would want to do this).
I just meant that training is more or less not optional for the vast majority of players. When Ryo has to work his way up the ranks at the dojos, he will encounter opponents that can melt his health if he's untrained and take a crazy amount of punishment--most players will not simply try to brute force their way through this in the same way that most players of a JRPG will not run away from every battle and then brute force their way through boss fights.

Agreed, which I think is why I'm willing to cut Yu a little slack when it comes to some of the areas that the game was perhaps lacking. He and his team crammed a hell of a lot into Shenmue 3 - and whilst there were elements of the game that weren't perfect - that he was (imo) able to create a game that felt like a Shenmue game (whilst still incorporating pretty much everything one would expect from a Shenmue game to some degree) is some achievement given the budget and relative inexperience of his team.
I definitely cut some slack due to the budget, but the combat is way too janky to be "from the creator of Virtua Fighter". I would be similarly disappointed if Hideku Kamiya delivered such an under baked system, especially for a sequel. In my view, Shenmue needs to have basically 2 things: NPCs to talk to and fighting. Nothing else matters as much as those 2 elements and, unfortunately, those 2 elements suffer the most in S3.

Last edited:
To be clear here, what I should have said is that the decision to cut Baisha from the game was announced somewhere between recording of the English dub and the game's release. Unless I'm mistaken, we have no idea exactly when during development the decision to cut Baisha from the game was made.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. As far as I know, no footage of Baisha has ever been shown (outside of a few seconds of a very early prototype) and the mechanic Suzuki was envisioning for it sounded way outside the scope of S3, so I always assumed it was cut fairly early.

That there is so much that we don't know about the game's development is one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to be too critical of it (or at least the people who made it).
Totally agree, I'm very critical of S3 but not the team who made it; having seen first-hand how a game can just spiral out of one's hands during development.

I was joking here. I think the chapter structure was more or less abandoned during Shenmue 2 with them now serving more as a rough guide for the story.
lol, I know you were joking, but if the Cliff Temple really is where the treasure is located, and the CYM are there with both mirrors, how much longer could we really have in the story? I was expecting to follow the light patterns in both the mirrors across China or whatever to even get to the treasure. I understand that everything is still up in the air because we're assuming that nothing is explained/elaborated on in S3 but what if is? Meaning what if we take S3 at face value and we're actually very close to the end of the story (ie: S4 will be the last game)?

I'm always weary of 'mistakes' that conveniently happen to support a person's argument - especially when that person seems to make a habit of making these kind of 'mistakes'.
Good policy in general but this seems like a genuine mistake since, as mentioned, the sentence doesn't make sense.

It obviously made more sense for him to use the game's success on Kickstarter as a way of highlighting how disappointing he perceived it to be rather than as a sign of how successful the game was in terms of the number of copies it shifted.
In fairness, the KS doesn't really correspond to the sales of the game per se, moreso the budget. Especially because many contributors pledged far more than the cost of the game (I think the average was like $100 per person) and who knows how many also bought a copy?

I do think though that anybody taking the time to read or watch a review of the game probably doesn't fall into this group and are perhaps somewhat open to the idea of playing the game if it seems like something they would like.
I don't think that's true. I think that a certain number of people are tuning into SEPW (or Jim Sterling, or Yahtzee, or Dunkey) no matter what he talks about. There's definitely a percentage of those people who might have been interested in the game, but I don't think it's substantial.

People have certain thresholds for what they will and wont accept from a videogame when it comes to things like grinding and pacing - and the difference between the reality of Shenmue 3 and it's portrayal in this video might be enough to push the game from one side of that line to the other.
I will say that S1 and 2 basically have no grinding (and S2 is about as fast-paced as the series is likely to get) and they received generally positive reviews, yet this didn't really contribute to amazing sales of the HD re-releases. I know it's not a great comparison since they're 20 year old games, but it's still worth noting, especially because those games are more or less "required playing" for S3.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. As far as I know, no footage of Baisha has ever been shown and the mechanic Suzuki was envisioning for it sounded way outside the scope of S3, so I always assumed it was cut fairly early.
I think we did see some of the team working on Baisha in one of the Kickstarter updates (tbf, I think I remember this being quite early on) and we also saw some stuff that didn’t make it into the game throughout the process (a boat ride, a fight on the Great Wall and a few other things), but it’s impossible to say how much work had been done on Baisha or when exactly they realized it wouldn’t make it into the game without hearing from somebody directly involved.
Totally agree, I'm very critical of S3 but not the team who made it; having seen first-hand how a game can just spiral out of one's hands during development.
I can’t say I’ve ever worked on a video game before but have worked on quite a few large scale projects and know that things are rarely straightforward. It’s seems pretty clear that there were quite a few pitfalls throughout development.
lol, I know you were joking, but if the Cliff Temple really is where the treasure is located, and the CYM are there with both mirrors, how much longer could we really have in the story? I was expecting to follow the light patterns in both the mirrors across China or whatever to even get to the treasure. I understand that everything is still up in the air because we're assuming that nothing is explained/elaborated on in S3 but what if is? Meaning what if we take S3 at face value and we're actually very close to the end of the story (ie: S4 will be the last game)?
Its possible that they were vague to allow the possibility of wrapping things up in a fourth game (or even a mini 1 act game if absolutely necessary), but Im’a guess that the map contained within the mirrors begins at the cliff temple and that that is why the Chi You Men are there.
Good policy in general but this seems like a genuine mistake since, as mentioned, the sentence doesn't make sense.
Let’s agree to disagree on this one.
In fairness, the KS doesn't really correspond to the sales of the game per se, moreso the budget. Especially because many contributors pledged far more than the cost of the game (I think the average was like $100 per person) and who knows how many also bought a copy?
Whilst backer copies don’t count as ‘sales’ per se, I think when talking about how many people bought the game they are pretty significant. Maybe some of the backers bought extra copies, but I don’t think that anywhere near all of the 70,000+ backers who pledged enough for a copy will have. Also, if we’re only talking about the 18,000 copies sold in Japan (which SEPW is doing here), the vast majority of backers were not included as part of the discussion - even if they did all pick up a retail copy in their respective territories.
I don't think that's true. I think that a certain number of people are tuning into SEPW (or Jim Sterling, or Yahtzee, or Dunkey) no matter what he talks about. There's definitely a percentage of those people who might have been interested in the game, but I don't think it's substantial.
I agree that a fairly significant proportion of viewers were probably regular consumers of the channel’s content, but one thing I’ve noticed recently is that YouTube are now providing more analytics to creators - and one of the key new pieces of information being given to them is the ratio of a video’s viewers who are subscribers. This obviously varies from channel to channel, but quite a few of the creators I watch have been beginning their videos by pointing out that only around 10-20% of viewers are subscribed (and then going on to request that anybody watching subscribes). With this being the case, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a lot of non-subscribers watching SEPWs video.
I will say that S1 and 2 basically have no grinding (and S2 is about as fast-paced as the series is likely to get) and they received generally positive reviews, yet this didn't really contribute to amazing sales of the HD re-releases. I know it's not a great comparison since they're 20 year old games, but it's still worth noting, especially because those games are more or less "required playing" for S3.
The HD re-releases seem to have been played by more than half a million people, which I’d argue is pretty damn good for two 20 year old games. I’m not sure that I’d go as far as to say that they sold amazingly, but judging by Sega’s response, it certainly seems as though they sold a lot better than expected.

Shenmue is definitely a niche series (more so now than it ever has been), but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a market for it. It might not appeal to the ‘average gamer’, but I do think there are a lot of ‘average gamers’ that are getting a little fed up with the tripe being served up to them by AAA publishers who might be willing to give a game like Shenmue a fair chance.
My point was that, since S1 and 2 don't have any difficulty modes, and to get the highest challenge out of S3's opponents you have to play on Nightmare, the two systems can only really be compared at the highest level against their respective "hardest" opponents. Obviously if they were fighting games you'd be able to get two people who are really good at the game to test high-level play, but since all we have is AI, then that's as good as it's going to get. What level you are or what moves you have unlocked shouldn't really factor into that.
I get your point - and if you absolutely need to compare the two engines this way - then yes, Izumi and the final red snakes boss fight are probably the hardest fights in their respective games, but I’m not sure it’s the best comparison as Izumi is designed to push the player to their limits whilst Mr Muscles is a story fight. I think a better comparison would be made using master Baihu rather than Izumi.
Except one of those stats is tied directly to your ability to explore the world, so the game more than incentivizes you to max out your health. And really? You're supposed to try a fight after each level you gain just to find the sweet spot? You get absolutely melted as you work your way up the dojo with no training (implying that you're quite far off your level).
This is a fair point, but you don’t need to increase Ryo’s endurance to explore the game’s world and you certainly don’t need to max his endurance stat.

I also don’t think you need to raise your level one level at a time. On my first playthrough, I raised a few levels as and when I needed to and it worked out pretty well.

If I lost, I had a choice of either improving at the game or training more, but I don’t think the game ever felt too difficult or too easy whilst working within those options. Once I got to my second playthrough and maxed out my stats, then yes, pretty much all of the challenge had been taken out of the game.
This isn't really an apples to apples comparison because many JRPGs take different strategies into account so if you're over-leveled, you still need to exploit and punish an enemy weakness and deal with their strengths. It takes a long time to level up to the degree that you can just brute force most fights. In S3, 1. I would argue that grinding is even more of a chore since it's done outside of combat, and 2. there is no real strategy at play, nearly every enemy can be beaten in the same way (S2 had lots of opponents that incentivized different tactics, rudimentary though they may have been, to defeat) so their difficulty comes exclusively from how much damage they can deal/sustain.
I don’t think there is an apples to apples comparison to be made here, so that’s the best I can do I’m afraid.

For the record though ‘grinding’ in Shenmue 3 is done both in and out of combat.

The lack of different combat styles in Shenmue 3 was a bit of a let down, but then again, I think that they somewhat made up for this by incorporating significantly more one vs many fights, which in their own rudimentary way required different tactics and strategies.
In theory this is true, and likely the thought process behind the systems. In practice, most players will max out or nearly max out their health in order to better facilitate exploration and, if you're good at the game, combat just becomes tedious if your attack power is too low as it just takes longer to defeat enemies.
I agree that the stamina system does encourage the player to increase endurance (even if it isn’t absolutely required) and that this in turn can create an imbalance in the game’s combat. I put this down to just another fault in the game’s stamina system rather than a fault with the combat.

If a player were to avoid training endurance though, I think the challenge of surviving long enough to deal enough damage to the enemy is very much in keeping with some of the most challenging fights found in other series’.
I just meant that training is more or less not optional for the vast majority of players. When Ryo has to work his way up the ranks at the dojos, he will encounter opponents that can melt his health if he's untrained and take a crazy amount of punishment--most players will not simply try to brute force their way through this in the same way that most players of a JRPG will not run away from every battle and then brute force their way through boss fights.
I don’t think you can have it both ways. You can’t complain that the game is too easy when fully trained and too difficult when you’re not. The solution is quite simple (find a middle ground).

There were plenty of fights in the first two games in which the opponent could absolutely melt Ryo’s health if you let your guard down and a fair few bosses that could take one hell of a beating before they dropped.

It seems pretty simple to me. If your health is draining too quickly- learn how to dodge better in order to take fewer hits, train Ryo’s endurance up a little or lower the difficulty. If your attacks aren’t doing enough damage, switch up your play style to throw in some more powerful moves / combos, train your moves up a little, increase Ryo’s Kung Fu stat a little or again, lower the difficulty.

I think I’ve made my thoughts on the game’s combat system pretty clear throughout these forums, but one criticism that I don’t think that can be thrown at it is that it’s too easy.
I definitely cut some slack due to the budget, but the combat is way too janky to be "from the creator of Virtua Fighter". I would be similarly disappointed if Hideku Kamiya delivered such an under baked system, especially for a sequel. In my view, Shenmue needs to have basically 2 things: NPCs to talk to and fighting. Nothing else matters as much as those 2 elements and, unfortunately, those 2 elements suffer the most in S3.
But Yu wasn’t the sole creator of Virtua Fighter, was he? He had a huge team working beneath him, many of whom were some of the best in the industry at that time. Budget is very important when managing a large scale project, but no more so than the people you’re working with.

JRPGs take different strategies into account so if you're over-leveled, you still need to exploit and punish an enemy weakness and deal with their strengths. It takes a long time to level up to the degree that you can just brute force most fights.
I disagree on this, I've been playing a lot of JRPGs over the years and most of them do not care at all that you overlevel or brute force the game it and do not require punish weakness or anything.

Most of them work well enough with just having a classic "cleric" role healing each turn (or when necessary ) and the others dealing damage.

I can’t say I’ve ever worked on a video game before but have worked on quite a few large scale projects and know that things are rarely straightforward. It’s seems pretty clear that there were quite a few pitfalls throughout development.
I think this is true of most projects, obviously the degree to which it's an issue varies, but I don't think it's fair to grade the final result on a curve because of it. Jaws had a legendarily troubled shoot that resulted in massive changes and the movie came out great, arguably better for it.

Its possible that they were vague to allow the possibility of wrapping things up in a fourth game (or even a mini 1 act game if absolutely necessary), but Im’a guess that the map contained within the mirrors begins at the cliff temple and that that is why the Chi You Men are there.
Hopefully you're right, I've also heard it theorized that the Cliff Temple is some kind of "map room" that will work with the light patterns from the mirrors (kind of like the Well of Souls from Raiders). But that would still make it a very curious place to store the mirrors in the first place. It also doesn't really make sense for Elder Yeh to refer to the Bailu scroll as a "treasure map" if that's the case.

Whilst backer copies don’t count as ‘sales’ per se, I think when talking about how many people bought the game they are pretty significant. Maybe some of the backers bought extra copies, but I don’t think that anywhere near all of the 70,000+ backers who pledged enough for a copy will have. Also, if we’re only talking about the 18,000 copies sold in Japan (which SEPW is doing here), the vast majority of backers were not included as part of the discussion - even if they did all pick up a retail copy in their respective territories.
Truthfully, I haven't really followed S3's sales figures in a while. I'm assuming that the relative quiet surrounding the actual numbers is an indicator that it didn't do terribly well, but it also doesn't necessarily mean it's a flop. And while Suzuki seems confident that S4 will get made, the fact that there's so much doubt around it doesn't paint a great picture of S3's sales. I think his point was just that the future of the series is once again uncertain, not to specify sales stats particularly because it's notoriously difficult to find accurate sales information for games.

Shenmue is definitely a niche series (more so now than it ever has been), but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a market for it. It might not appeal to the ‘average gamer’, but I do think there are a lot of ‘average gamers’ that are getting a little fed up with the tripe being served up to them by AAA publishers who might be willing to give a game like Shenmue a fair chance.
I totally agree but, ultimately, it's up to Shenmue to make a case for itself, which I don't think S3 did.

I think a better comparison would be made using master Baihu rather than Izumi.
My favorite fight in all of Shenmue :). My point was simply compare these two videos:

You can even see Ryo attempt to cheese Baihu a few times but he can't do it consistently. It's more than possible to beat every single 1 v 1 fight in S3 by spamming 1 move, even at the highest difficulty.

If I lost, I had a choice of either improving at the game or training more, but I don’t think the game ever felt too difficult or too easy whilst working within those options. Once I got to my second playthrough and maxed out my stats, then yes, pretty much all of the challenge had been taken out of the game.
To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the game is designed in such a way that everyone who plays it is going to max the stats, and in my playthrough I didn't find the game to be too easy. My only point is that the combat is notably worse than S1 and 2 in nearly every respect and that at high level play it appears to be fundamentally broken (with several OP tactics and one OP move). Not that the game is too easy.

The lack of different combat styles in Shenmue 3 was a bit of a let down, but then again, I think that they somewhat made up for this by incorporating significantly more one vs many fights, which in their own rudimentary way required different tactics and strategies.
Fair point. For the record, I found these fights in the Rose Garden to be by far the most enjoyable in the game.

I agree that the stamina system does encourage the player to increase endurance (even if it isn’t absolutely required) and that this in turn can create an imbalance in the game’s combat. I put this down to just another fault in the game’s stamina system rather than a fault with the combat.
That's kind of the problem with having all the systems be integrated. If you wanted a move that you can only obtain through collecting capsule toys, that has nothing to do with a "flaw" in the combat system, but it's definitely related.

I don’t think you can have it both ways. You can’t complain that the game is too easy when fully trained and too difficult when you’re not. The solution is quite simple (find a middle ground).
To clarify, I'm not complaining that the game is too easy. My main complaints are that the combat, even at the highest level, lacks skill, strategy, and finesse, and enemies aren't varied enough to provide a meaningful challenge. The grinding is related but largely separate from the actual combat.

If a player were to avoid training endurance though, I think the challenge of surviving long enough to deal enough damage to the enemy is very much in keeping with some of the most challenging fights found in other series’.
I largely agree with this but then why have endurance be leveled at all? The game even has healing potions if you're having trouble.

It seems pretty simple to me. If your health is draining too quickly- learn how to dodge better in order to take fewer hits, train Ryo’s endurance up a little or lower the difficulty. If your attacks aren’t doing enough damage, switch up your play style to throw in some more powerful moves / combos, train your moves up a little, increase Ryo’s Kung Fu stat a little or again, lower the difficulty.

I think I’ve made my thoughts on the game’s combat system pretty clear throughout these forums, but one criticism that I don’t think that can be thrown at it is that it’s too easy.
In my playthrough, I only maxed Ryo out when I was completing the Rose Garden and I found the fighting in the game to be sufficiently challenging for the most part (except the pathetic enemies you fight with Ren on the way to the castle). Once I got good at the game, however, I found it too easy to exploit and especially found the lack of defensive options really limiting.

But Yu wasn’t the sole creator of Virtua Fighter, was he? He had a huge team working beneath him, many of whom were some of the best in the industry at that time. Budget is very important when managing a large scale project, but no more so than the people you’re working with.
No, he wasn't, but by signing off on both games, surely he's taking on at least some responsibility. S3 is lacking in a lot of the basic fundamentals that make a combat system "feel" good to play and I think it's totally fair to expect more from the guy who headed the development of (several entries of) the gold standard of fighting games. I cut a lot of slack in terms of budget, but there's too much else wrong with it to say that this is the best we should have expected, especially given the pedigree.

I disagree on this, I've been playing a lot of JRPGs over the years and most of them do not care at all that you overlevel or brute force the game it and do not require punish weakness or anything.

Most of them work well enough with just having a classic "cleric" role healing each turn (or when necessary ) and the others dealing damage.
In fairness I haven't played too many modern JRPGs in recent years (P5 is probably the only one I've played in the last 5 years so I'm no expert), but the JRPGs that I've played with good combat (FFX-2, Grandia) definitely require strategy.

Your only argument appears to be "there's nothing wrong with S3 and anyone who has a problem with it just doesn't understand it".
You know, if you could just remotely keep on track, instead of trying to pull the discussion into ever weaker and more granular points of contention whenever you feel your arguments are in a position of weakness, I might not absolutely hate talking with you so much. (I don't know if you do this consciously or not, but it's not cute.)

Anyway, anyone who THINKS IT LACKS DEPTH, or many standard fighting game mechanics and features, doesn't understand it. Yeah. That's exactly the argument. If you could actually debate that without going off into non-arguments, that would be great.

Where did you get that impression from me? Furthermore, how does anything in S3 resemble those gold standard mechanics?
Fair enough. You probably weren't indicating anything about VF, but the fact remains that combat in Shenmue III did not have to meet or exceed the depth of the combat in the first two games in order to be a deep combat system in its own right. Your idea of unbounded growth here is misguided. It's not practical, realistic, or at all necessary. I've already listed, several times, the common mechanics between the games: Hit stun, startup/active/recovery animations, wall bounce, wall combos, combo links, dial-a-combo, cancels, etc. (Also a shortcut macro.) It even has some new ones like directional dodging, guard, and guard break.

You just said S1 and 2 have a 'tap to win' button.
It's almost as if I said "almost" with this particular thing in mind. Do we need to review the definition of "almost" together, too?

Wow. Cropping out the part where I specify that your idea to take a 2D mechanic and apply it to a game with 3D movement doesn't work is some next level trolling.
I left it out because the issue is that you seem to think that dedicated buttons for parry like in DoA or SC is a reasonable analogy for Third Strike parries. Third Strike parries don't allow you to sit behind a button. They force you to put your momentum into it. Also wouldn't it be nice if there were some sort of mathematics that could be used to analyze vectors and process opposing forces in a 3D space. Oh, yeah, vector analysis. They already put contextual and directional dodging into the combat system for Shenmue III. That's already half of the way to Third Strike parries in a 3D environment.

Almost as dumb as saying that S3's combat is as fully featured as S1 and 2.
Smart of me not to have said that then, I guess. lol

I'm pretty sure you didn't know that Kingdom Hearts has most of these things. Also, what does "as they pertain to fighting games" even mean? Shenmue 3 isn't a fighting game.
Get the fuck out of here, Kingdom Hearts does not have frame advantages, actual combos, or really almost anything related to fighting game mechanics. Attempting to make the assertion is absurd. You're only making obvious how ignorant you are of fighting game mechanics and the combat system in Shenmue III. (I have completed everything in the series up to Re:Coded, 100%, by the way.)

Since I have no idea what the fuck this word salad is supposed to be driving at: you're right, Shenmue 3's fighting is amazing; I was just too simple to grasp it until now. I quiver with anticipation to see how its influence ripples through the industry and other games try to copy its genius and everyone who ever complained about it (so, like, most people who played it) eats their words.
Yeah, I know you can't follow logic. I pray for anyone who has the misfortune of reviewing/correcting any logic you might've slap dashed together before. Way to appeal to the majority, by the way. Majority can't be wrong about anything, right?

At this point you're just trying to run away from the fact that your understanding of the combat in Shenmue III was probably shaky to begin with, and/or you've mostly forgotten what it's even like in practice. If you were smart, you might argue the implementation of these things in the combat in Shenmue III, but you don't have the knowledge base to do that. Even still you fail to understand that my argument is not that Shenmue III's combat is at the level of the combat in the first two games.

JRPGs
good combat
Grandia
Nah. Grandia has one of the most simplistic combat systems ever. It takes very little effort to lock down almost every encounter in the game just by timing characters' attacks. (As in, the enemies can't even get an attack off.) 95% of the combat in Grandia is choosing the character fast enough to stun the fastest enemy, and repeating with the next character/enemy. It's rinse, wash, and repeat.

Try BoF: Dragon Quarter, which actually has open field battles with action points, spacing, area of effect, equipable attack slots, combo attacks, special combo attacks, enemy lures, a gambit dragon-mode, and will bust your face in if you aren't prepared. It's easily the greatest RPG combat ever conceived. Even Suikoden III has more involved combat than Grandia, even though they're similar, in theory.

combat in Shenmue III did not have to meet or exceed the depth of the combat in the first two games in order to be a deep combat system in its own right.
I agree with the sentiment in the broad strokes (ie: S3 didn't need deep fighting game mechanics to provide a deep combat system), I would have been happy virtually any combat system as long as it was properly designed.

Your idea of unbounded growth here is misguided. It's not practical, realistic, or at all necessary.
That's not what I was getting at. S1 and 2 should serve as a baseline, that could be refined and expanded where necessary. The defensive game in S1 and 2 is a prime example, your options were already pretty limited and S3 gives you even fewer options.

the common mechanics between the games: Hit stun, startup/active/recovery animations, wall bounce, wall combos, combo links, dial-a-combo, cancels, etc. (Also a shortcut macro.) It even has some new ones like directional dodging, guard, and guard break.
And my point is: so what? Not only are those features of most fighting games, as I stated; Shenmue isn't a fighting game. The reason that startup/active/recovery animations are important to fighting games is because they're used against real opponents, so you can learn moves and counter moves (S1 and 2 had this ever so slightly in the ranked battles). S3 has a move (Shinbone Smash) that renders all of that useless because it's fast enough to interrupt almost any attack, has a knockdown, and can be spammed while the enemy is on the floor. Without real opponents to fight against, or enemies that push you to engage with all the features, what good is any of it?

I left it out because the issue is that you seem to think that dedicated buttons for parry like in DoA or SC is a reasonable analogy for Third Strike parries. Third Strike parries don't allow you to sit behind a button. They force you to put your momentum into it. Also wouldn't it be nice if there were some sort of mathematics that could be used to analyze vectors and process opposing forces in a 3D space. Oh, yeah, vector analysis. They already put contextual and directional dodging into the combat system for Shenmue III. That's already half of the way to Third Strike parries in a 3D environment.
First of all, by all indications, Suzuki wants to make Shenmue even more appealing to a wider audience going forward so I doubt that includes implementing a feature that's so hardcore that Street Fighter removed it (RIP, Third Strike is still the best in the series). Second of all, you arrived at my point exactly, you can have directional parrying in 3D with a dedicated button (several action games have something similar, though depending on what you're talking about it's not really possible to do exactly what Third Strike does in 3D).

Get the fuck out of here, Kingdom Hearts does not have frame advantages, actual combos, or really almost anything related to fighting game mechanics.
First of all, it was a joke. Second of all, lol "actual combos". KH, like Shenmue, is not a fighting game, and you're not facing off against opponents with an identical moveset, so things like that don't matter, especially when opponents can be bested with one move. To be clear, if Shenmue 3 was a fighting game, it would be complete dogshit, so I don't think you want to go down to road of comparing it to actual fighting games, let alone Virtua Fighter.

Way to appeal to the majority, by the way. Majority can't be wrong about anything, right?
I think that if the majority of people who played S1-3 and consider S3's combat a step backwards, that's perfectly valid as it's almost certainly something that Suzuki will address. But, no, the majority doesn't automatically make it "right". They're right in this instance though.

At this point you're just trying to run away from the fact that your understanding of the combat in Shenmue III was probably shaky to begin with, and/or you've mostly forgotten what it's even like in practice. If you were smart, you might argue the implementation of these things in the combat in Shenmue III, but you don't have the knowledge base to do that. Even still you fail to understand that my argument is not that Shenmue III's combat is at the level of the combat in the first two games.
I understand your argument, that any faults with the combat in Shenmue 3 are not the result of a flawed system per se, more a result of poor implementation of that system (so poor enemy AI, OP moves, I would assume missing offensive/defensive options), and the nebulous "game feel" doesn't factor at all. If you want to have a robust discussion of the combat system in S3, I'm not the guy for it as I've only played the game once and don't really care what's going on under the hood when the basic fundamentals are as flawed as they are. Frankly, I don't like the game enough to care.

Try BoF: Dragon Quarter, which actually has open field battles with action points, spacing, area of effect, equipable attack slots, combo attacks, special combo attacks, enemy lures, a gambit dragon-mode, and will bust your face in if you aren't prepared. It's easily the greatest RPG combat ever conceived.
I'll check it out.

Damn, somebody got owned. Good job Rydeen, high five. As someone who's spent extensive time with it and earned nearly all of the moves, Shenmue. III's combat system is legitimate , viable and actually fun , even without the throws of Shenmue 2. The wall-splat system gives me tons of enjoyment, and I constantly keep finding new moves to follow up wall spat damage . The only negative besides no throws in Shenmue 2 is the auto targeting system that you cant turn off. Don't take Supereyepatch Wolf's video too seriously. It's just a parody. He didn't really play sun bird wind and moon to earn 2000 yuan. Nobody is that psychotic. He is just saying that because SBWM is the most laughable , humorous way to earn money in Shenmue 3. It makes for a funny story.

Last edited:
I think this is true of most projects, obviously the degree to which it's an issue varies, but I don't think it's fair to grade the final result on a curve because of it. Jaws had a legendarily troubled shoot that resulted in massive changes and the movie came out great, arguably better for it.
I'm not saying that the game should be graded on a curve. My rating for Shenmue 3 has pinged around a little as time has passed and I've played it more, so it might change again on my next playthrough (I'm thinking about starting from scratch rather than using new game plus, which will mean enduring the grinding for cash and completely retraining Ryo with the dummies), but I'd probably say that it's a 6.5 out of 10 (maybe 7 at a push). I don't give the game extra points because of the constraints the team faced, but I do understand why the game ended up being a 6.5 rather than the 9/10 I wanted it to be.
Hopefully you're right, I've also heard it theorized that the Cliff Temple is some kind of "map room" that will work with the light patterns from the mirrors (kind of like the Well of Souls from Raiders). But that would still make it a very curious place to store the mirrors in the first place. It also doesn't really make sense for Elder Yeh to refer to the Bailu scroll as a "treasure map" if that's the case.
Agreed. We're not given much indication that Elder Yeh has any deeper knowledge of the mirrors than we learn for ourselves in the game and so I found it a bit strange that she suddenly became an authority on the matter. I suppose it could be argued that the mirrors themselves are a treasure of sorts, but again, this could have been a way for the team to give themselves an easy out if they're forced to wrap things up in the fourth game.
Truthfully, I haven't really followed S3's sales figures in a while. I'm assuming that the relative quiet surrounding the actual numbers is an indicator that it didn't do terribly well, but it also doesn't necessarily mean it's a flop. And while Suzuki seems confident that S4 will get made, the fact that there's so much doubt around it doesn't paint a great picture of S3's sales. I think his point was just that the future of the series is once again uncertain, not to specify sales stats particularly because it's notoriously difficult to find accurate sales information for games.
I think that there's always a certain degree of doubt about a game happening until it's officially announced (unless we're talking about one of the titles that gets annual updates like FIFA or Madden). I do agree that the lack of information about sales figures would suggest that the game hasn't been a rip-roaring success, but without knowing how many sales are/were needed to secure a fourth entry and how many were expected by the publisher, any suggestion as to how the game performed is pure speculation outside of what we've officially been told (that the game did 'fine').
My favorite fight in all of Shenmue :). My point was simply compare these two videos:

You can even see Ryo attempt to cheese Baihu a few times but he can't do it consistently. It's more than possible to beat every single 1 v 1 fight in S3 by spamming 1 move, even at the highest difficulty.
Again, taking a clip of Baihu at max level (a fight that can't be tackled 'in-game') and comparing it with a clip in which the player has seemingly maxed out all of Ryo's stats and is making no effort to properly engage with the game's combat engine seems a little unfair.

(9:38 just in case the time stamp isn't working)

(4:01 just in case the time stamp isn't working)

Take these two fights as an example of why your examples perhaps aren't the best here.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of somebody beating Baihu using only one move (people don't tend to upload videos of them cheesing a system unless they're trying to make it look bad and I don't have the patience to dig through let's plays to find one if indeed one exists on Youtube) and I'm too lazy to go and record my own video and upload it, so I'll have to use this Dou Niou fight to prove my point instead (as the game's final boss, that seems fair).

Comparing these two clips, I could make the argument that it's Shenmue 2's combat that is too simplistic and I'm sure that there are probably more skilled players when it comes to Shenmue 3's combat if I really wanted to hammer this point home (I just picked one of the top results for 'shenmue 3 combat'). I wouldn't do that though, because I don't think that a video of somebody making no real effort to engage with a system is a good way of judging its depth (also, I don't think it's at all true).
To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the game is designed in such a way that everyone who plays it is going to max the stats, and in my playthrough I didn't find the game to be too easy. My only point is that the combat is notably worse than S1 and 2 in nearly every respect and that at high level play it appears to be fundamentally broken (with several OP tactics and one OP move). Not that the game is too easy.
I do understand what you mean (there is a clear benefit to maxing/raising endurance for exploration purposes which in turn could in turn lead to an inbalance in the game's combat). I also agree that combat is weaker in Shenmue 3 than it is in the earlier entries to the series, but I don't think that the examples that you provide prove that the system in 3 is anymore 'fundamentally broken' than the system in Shenmue 1 and 2 (as shown by the above video of Shenmue 2's final encounter).
Fair point. For the record, I found these fights in the Rose Garden to be by far the most enjoyable in the game.
I found that the player area and the broken ragdoll physics often cheapened the experience for me. To be honest, I'm not sure that I had a favorite fight in Shenmue 3. For the most part they all felt the same.
That's kind of the problem with having all the systems be integrated. If you wanted a move that you can only obtain through collecting capsule toys, that has nothing to do with a "flaw" in the combat system, but it's definitely related.
Agreed, but then again, if Shenmue 2 had a stamina system similar to Shenmue 3, would that suddenly make the VF engine worse as a combat engine or would you attribute the negative impact it had to a poorly designed stamina system?
To clarify, I'm not complaining that the game is too easy. My main complaints are that the combat, even at the highest level, lacks skill, strategy, and finesse, and enemies aren't varied enough to provide a meaningful challenge. The grinding is related but largely separate from the actual combat.
I very much agree with your comments regarding the enemies and the lack of variance in fighting styles and this was probably my biggest issue with combat in Shenmue 3. I'd add that the input lag caused by the game's combo system can often lead to a feeling that you're never fully in control of Ryo which sometimes made it feel as though I was guessing what the enemy might do next rather than reacting to their actions as I would have in Shenmue 1 or 2. I don't think that any of the fights encountered across the 3 games really require a player to be skilled though (apart from Izumi - which is designed to push the player to their limits and is not part of the main story) and disagree that a player can't be skilled at combat in S3.
In my playthrough, I only maxed Ryo out when I was completing the Rose Garden and I found the fighting in the game to be sufficiently challenging for the most part (except the pathetic enemies you fight with Ren on the way to the castle). Once I got good at the game, however, I found it too easy to exploit and especially found the lack of defensive options really limiting.
As mentioned earlier, combat in earlier games was very easy to exploit if you just spammed the block button and attacked after parrying.
No, he wasn't, but by signing off on both games, surely he's taking on at least some responsibility. S3 is lacking in a lot of the basic fundamentals that make a combat system "feel" good to play and I think it's totally fair to expect more from the guy who headed the development of (several entries of) the gold standard of fighting games. I cut a lot of slack in terms of budget, but there's too much else wrong with it to say that this is the best we should have expected, especially given the pedigree.
You talk about him 'signing off' as if scrapping it and starting from scratch or just cancelling the project outright were options. The combat system's flaws can likely be attributed to the teams lack of experience, budget and time - none of which Yu really had direct control over (at least not without causing problems elsewhere in the game). If he hires more experienced programmers he has to pull budget from somewhere else or hire fewer programmers in total and if the team spend more time working on the combat system, they spend less time working on other elements of the game.

Yu is accustomed to working with some of the best programmers in the industry and so it's entirely probable that what he thought could be achieved with the time and budget available simply couldn't be achieved with a team whose inexperience and smaller numbers meant that they took longer to ultimately achieve a worse end product. In this sense, I think that Yu's lack of experience working with smaller fixed budgets and an inexperienced team to create a large scale game also played a part.

EDIT:
Just for fun, I thought I'd see how far one could get into the Master Baihu fight by simply spamming the triangle button and then hitting him with elbow assault on parry. I hadn't expected to make it all the way to the end, but aside from my hand cramping up from repeatedly hitting the dodge button over the course of 32 rounds (hence why I didn't hit all of my elbow assaults), it was actually pretty easy. The difficulty scaling seemed to just make Ryo hit a little weaker and Baihu hit a little harder with each subsequent stage.

Does this mean that Shenmue 2's combat is too simplistic, iknifaugood ? ;)

Last edited:
People are really arguing that Shenmue 3 battle system has depth because you can send your opponents in a wall in a comical way ?

When they cant be bothered to implement a correct input system for combos, I dont see what else is to say about that.

Dont misunderstand me, they're trying to do good things. But the implementation of the physics, input system and collision makes all those efforts go to waste.

People are really arguing that Shenmue 3 battle system has depth because you can send your opponents in a wall in a comical way ?

When they cant be bothered to implement a correct input system for combos, I dont see what else is to say about that.

Dont misunderstand me, they're trying to do good things. But the implementation of the physics, input system and collision makes all those efforts go to waste.
Let's not pretend they couldn't be bothered to sort the input system. That's implying lazy development and whatever you think of the game the developers aren't lazy. Seems to me they didn't have time to correct it with everything else they had to sort out.

Also when you hold L2/LT it seems to drop the lag, oddly.

I thought the combat was a mixed bag. On one hand it felt good when the lag was minimal and you connected well with your opponent, sending them flying to the ground or against a wall. Evading also felt pretty good. I thought training and mastering techniques was much better than in previous games.

But honestly, the variable lag meant I just wanted to stick to fast, reliable combos that I knew I could pull off quickly, do lots of damage, then get out of the way. I saw no tactical benefit in utilising any of the moves that strung together multiple attacks into a single combo, and avoided anything that had a longer wind-up or cool-off period. None of them felt efficient or worth the sacrifice. When you're choosing your moves based on which will feel less laggy and not on actual combat tactics then you know something is wrong.

It almost suffers from the opposite problem of 1 and 2. In those games there's no real need to train or learn complex techniques because they're so easy (and in the case of 1, there simply isn't enough of it). In 3 the enemies are usually overpowered in a way that requires you to train and master moves. However, it may seem like you should invest in a bunch of techniques to get better, but really all you need to do is master a tiny handful of techniques and spam them, similar to the old games.

The old engine is obviously more robust and technical, so learning flashy moves of your own accord is probably a lot more interesting than doing the same in 3 -- I'll give it that -- but I also think that particular style of "2D fighting game in a 3D space" is fundamentally flawed and it was right for them to move on to something new, even if it didn't quite work out this time.

Let's not pretend they couldn't be bothered to sort the input system. That's implying lazy development and whatever you think of the game the developers aren't lazy. Seems to me they didn't have time to correct it with everything else they had to sort out.

Also when you hold L2/LT it seems to drop the lag, oddly.

That wasn't my intention.
And considering it was a conscious design decision, it was more of a misguided intention rather than "laziness".

Back