Tell me your feeling who played game,are you satisfied with shenmue 3

That sounds perfect for me then, I've always felt like my biggest issue with shenmue 2 and especially 1 was the lack of more optional fights just to goof off, like sure it made the few times you throw down stand out but I also felt like I could never grasp the combat pr experiment past just basic combos. While its unfortunate the combat seems less intuitive its still great that I will be able to goof off fighting.

Another question though, is the rpg elements actually tied to stats like attack damage or such, or is it pretty much just for health.

I'm pretty sure attacks do more damage as you master specific moves and as your overall attack level increases with training. Increasing endurance definitely increases your HP.

/v/? really?
Its pretty much one of the first places people go for leaks cause of the anonymity, lots of people lie but this guy has legit proof with him posting the picture of the game in front of the thread of a guy telling him to provide more proof. Just showcasing another side of the reception so far.

Its pretty much one of the first places people go for leaks cause of the anonymity, lots of people lie but this guy has legit proof with him posting the picture of the game in front of the thread of a guy telling him to provide more proof. Just showcasing another side of the reception so far.

I think the point they make about the fighting system going unexplained is a fair one. There really isn't anything akin to a tutorial and you can't even access a button map (as far as i can tell) while you're fighting. I also think there was a missed opportunity to have training games that actually make you better at fighting (e.g. how to properly dodge attacks minigame). The point about health draining and making money being a slog is also fair, but it's the game's way of forcing you to interact with it's money-making systems which are a huge part of the gameplay. We'll probably see a lot more reactions along these lines, though i still think most hardcore fans will find more to like than dislike.

I think the point they make about the fighting system going unexplained is a fair one. There really isn't anything akin to a tutorial and you can't even access a button map (as far as i can tell) while you're fighting. I also think there was a missed opportunity to have training games that actually make you better at fighting (e.g. how to properly dodge attacks minigame). The point about health draining and making money being a slog is also fair, but it's the game's way of forcing you to interact with it's money-making systems which are a huge part of the gameplay. We'll probably see a lot more reactions along these lines, though i still think most hardcore fans will find more to like than dislike.
He seems genuine, there also seems to be another couple guys that played the game talking in the thread but im leaving cause of spoilers. I got the vibe one is kind of damage controlling and likes it and the other was lukewarm.

To contrast the positivity, we got someone with proof that they have the game and claims to like 1 and adore 2 that absolutely hates the game
I'm good friends with him. I'm chatting with him now. He joined the Shenmue train super late. He basically hates that everything you do takes up stamina and how slow it can be to earn money.

Another question though, is the rpg elements actually tied to stats like attack damage or such, or is it pretty much just for health.
The lowering stamina gauge and the need for eating is only relevant for keeping the health up, attack strength and extending the stamina gauge are separate values which are not influenced in any way. In my opinion the eating is absolutely unnecessary and annoying, they should have kept it like in the old games.

Yes, but for me that's a plus. Yes, you have to earn money, buy food, train, prepare for what may be coming for multiple days, but it's really more fun than it sounds on paper.
I think I spent like 20 hours in Bailu and nearing the 'finish line' of this area now, but I still feel I missed lots of items, small sidequests and dialog and want to go back.

Fighting is fun, but I don't quite 'get it' yet
Only down thing for me so far no fighting tutorial, graphically the shadow draw distance and the sprinkling water effect by the river, frame rate on PS4 is quite alright but I wish it was smoother, just to get the most glorious Shenmue experience 🙂, but I'm nitpicking.

And did I mention everything is so charming and so Shenmue, you will feel right at home

Last edited:
I only played 2 hours last night. Pretty much left it right where the Demo ended so everything from here on out is new to me.

Thoughts after the first two hours?

Positives:
--------------------

-- General exploration is very much what you would expect from Shenmue. This feels like Shenmue through and through and just as I was smiling with the demo, I was smiling while talking to random villagers last night. It's as charming as it ever was.

--Playing on PS4 Pro and I'm generally pretty impressed with how stable it is. Runs at a solid 30fps with occasional pop in, but nowhere near as buggy as I feared it may have been. Apart from some clipping here and there, it feels rather polished so far.

-- NPC's generally look pretty good. I think much like the first two games, there are three tiers of NPC. Some look better than others. But at the very least, they are all unique and have a life of their own.

-- Talking with Shenhua at the end of every day is charming as all. I can't wait to see some of the conversations we can have with her as the game goes on.

-- I still haven't ventured out of the bounds of the demo since the game locks you in and seems to reveal itself gradually, but I can't wait to see the full scope of Bailu. Can't wait to start fishing and what not. Picking herbs is fun.

Cons
---------------------

-- My general concerns from the demo still remain with the fighting. One of the things I noticed from the demo after playing it extensively was how easy it was to cheese the AI with a simple jab, jab, jab, kick combo. I'm hoping the full game isn't that easy to exploit but something tells me otherwise. I'm playing on Hard difficulty but I can't say I had much trouble taking down the bookie with that very simple combo. I hope that isn't an easy exploit for the entire game.

-- Speaking of combat. I do kind of miss throws and parries more than I expected. Coming from Shenmue II, I do kind of miss the simple joy of the Swallow flip. I miss some of the throws more than I expected I would. Again, it ties back to what I just mentioned...I'm worried it could become too easy to exploit that very simple combo in all battles.

-- There is a general inconsistency in NPC models. Some look rather detailed and true to life. And others, like the little girls father, just look downright cartoony. On the one hand, I kinda like the fact that the NPC's are unique, but at the same time, there is no denying there is a bit of inconsistency going on design wise that can be a little jarring.

-- I think the first day was a little rough in terms of plot setup. It felt like it was trying to find its footing. You literally jump out of the cave and into Bailu village. But along the way you are made privy to a bit of an exposition dump. The early going cut scenes are awkward in their staging. Less so in Japanese in terms of voice acting, but still, the way the game cuts between scenes is a little jarring. Especially during the early walk and talk segments. The early going is a bit jarring, but I felt it was settling into a groove during the 2nd day. The presentation is a little rough though and I could see that being a big complaint in most reviews.

Other than that, I'm still too early in to make any other real judgments. Will find out more this afternoon when I jump back in after work. But so far, I'm more impressed than not. It feels like Shenmue through and through.

Other than that, I'm still too early in to make any other real judgments. Will find out more this afternoon when I jump back in after work. But so far, I'm more impressed than not. It feels like Shenmue through and through.

Great write up, your thoughts align pretty close to my first impressions too. Now only if you avoided my spoiler threads!

I will keep this vague but will spoiler tag it just in case regarding combat and difficulty
I found the game at least playing on hard remains pretty flat in terms of difficulty
especially since I recall you beating Gold Tiger during the demo. Of course you require a lot of training to boost XP but the same strategy to beat Gold Tiger can essentially be applied to fights in
hall in Niaowu beating 10th Duan or in Rose Garden
. I felt multiman fights definitely
suffer from not having a throw button and often had to resort using wide ranging kicks for crowd control otherwise you can get piled on

One of the things I noticed from the demo after playing it extensively was how easy it was to cheese the AI with a simple jab, jab, jab, kick combo.
Just a small heads up, the kick after the third jab isn't safe and can be interrupted or blocked. A lot of the harder opponents can counter you if you do that combo.
However, 2 jabs into kick is a lot safer and still knocks them down.

8.6 or 8.7/10 so far. One of the best games I've ever played. But it does have it's faults. There is just so many good things about Shenmue 3 though, I couldn't be more happy with it. Bear in mind though, there's still a lot of story left. The plot is interesting but at times slow which makes it a strange game you could say. I like that anyway, Shenmue always asked for your patience.

This is truly the sequel we have waited for from what I have played.

I haven’t played much but I’ve mostly enjoyed it apart from some gripes. The biggest problem so far is the jarring cut to the night music from the Lucky Charm Quarter in Shenmue 2 when I zoomed in to open the drawers in Shenhua’s house. It ruined the immersion for me as well as the eye sore red dots telling me what to open. Also I dislike how much I was being rushed to follow Shenhua at the start. I was enjoying looking at the environment until I was forced to go where Shenhua was. Shenmue is about taking your time so I can’t understand why they would force you to hurry up.

Last edited:
Also I dislike how much I was being rushed to follow Shenhua at the start. I was enjoying looking at the environment until I was forced to go where Shenhua was. Shenmue is about taking your time so I can’t understand why they would force you to hurry up.
The good news is that it doesn't happen that much in the game. I too was afraid of that when the game started but once you start looking for the man with the scar (same part as the demo), you shouldn't have to follow Shenhua for the next while.

Back