Tell me your feeling who played game,are you satisfied with shenmue 3

I’m really enjoying it thus far - still getting to grips with the combat (the sparing is only vaguely useful). Maybe 5-6 hours in today.

I find the stamina system is a bit too punishing - it penalises sprinting and I find myself often just sprint on/off with yellow health. It also means between story objectives I don’t really want to explore due to the health grinding. (Would Also of liked more useful health items - so many veggies are ridiculously low - also maybe the d-pad for quick eating?) But I’m very impressed with what they’ve built - it’s much larger and more fleshed out than I expected for sure.

I think I now fully appreciate how much better this is VS what it would have been 15 years ago! Fighting still takes me time to get into. Still I got many fights with exactly the moves I wanted done manually. He better make a 4th game. This WILL kill me if he doesn't. Those that write negatives about it can go to hell. I'm sorry. In fact certain things are more beautiful in this than 99% of other games I've played recently. That's not an opinion either, that's a fact. Parts of this game are plain stunning!

I think the point they make about the fighting system going unexplained is a fair one. There really isn't anything akin to a tutorial and you can't even access a button map (as far as i can tell) while you're fighting. I also think there was a missed opportunity to have training games that actually make you better at fighting (e.g. how to properly dodge attacks minigame). The point about health draining and making money being a slog is also fair, but it's the game's way of forcing you to interact with it's money-making systems which are a huge part of the gameplay. We'll probably see a lot more reactions along these lines, though i still think most hardcore fans will find more to like than dislike.
Don't joke like that, r1, skillbooks, highlight each, each is shown with which buttons are pressed in the picture. Sparring nails down the newest ones so you know by heart what to press. In fact you can do the others there too, see on screen if you get them right.

I only played 2 hours last night. Pretty much left it right where the Demo ended so everything from here on out is new to me.

Thoughts after the first two hours?

Positives:
--------------------

-- General exploration is very much what you would expect from Shenmue. This feels like Shenmue through and through and just as I was smiling with the demo, I was smiling while talking to random villagers last night. It's as charming as it ever was.

--Playing on PS4 Pro and I'm generally pretty impressed with how stable it is. Runs at a solid 30fps with occasional pop in, but nowhere near as buggy as I feared it may have been. Apart from some clipping here and there, it feels rather polished so far.

-- NPC's generally look pretty good. I think much like the first two games, there are three tiers of NPC. Some look better than others. But at the very least, they are all unique and have a life of their own.

-- Talking with Shenhua at the end of every day is charming as all. I can't wait to see some of the conversations we can have with her as the game goes on.

-- I still haven't ventured out of the bounds of the demo since the game locks you in and seems to reveal itself gradually, but I can't wait to see the full scope of Bailu. Can't wait to start fishing and what not. Picking herbs is fun.

Cons
---------------------

-- My general concerns from the demo still remain with the fighting. One of the things I noticed from the demo after playing it extensively was how easy it was to cheese the AI with a simple jab, jab, jab, kick combo. I'm hoping the full game isn't that easy to exploit but something tells me otherwise. I'm playing on Hard difficulty but I can't say I had much trouble taking down the bookie with that very simple combo. I hope that isn't an easy exploit for the entire game.

-- Speaking of combat. I do kind of miss throws and parries more than I expected. Coming from Shenmue II, I do kind of miss the simple joy of the Swallow flip. I miss some of the throws more than I expected I would. Again, it ties back to what I just mentioned...I'm worried it could become too easy to exploit that very simple combo in all battles.

-- There is a general inconsistency in NPC models. Some look rather detailed and true to life. And others, like the little girls father, just look downright cartoony. On the one hand, I kinda like the fact that the NPC's are unique, but at the same time, there is no denying there is a bit of inconsistency going on design wise that can be a little jarring.

-- I think the first day was a little rough in terms of plot setup. It felt like it was trying to find its footing. You literally jump out of the cave and into Bailu village. But along the way you are made privy to a bit of an exposition dump. The early going cut scenes are awkward in their staging. Less so in Japanese in terms of voice acting, but still, the way the game cuts between scenes is a little jarring. Especially during the early walk and talk segments. The early going is a bit jarring, but I felt it was settling into a groove during the 2nd day. The presentation is a little rough though and I could see that being a big complaint in most reviews.

Other than that, I'm still too early in to make any other real judgments. Will find out more this afternoon when I jump back in after work. But so far, I'm more impressed than not. It feels like Shenmue through and through.
1&2 every single fight could have been beaten by mashing buttons, if you dodged right before you did it. It was the QTEs they stuck in there that made you work. Sure I mastered the moves I liked, and did them, but the point is I could not have. I want the throws too man, but as this is a Kung Fu movie sim now more than ever, it doesn't hurt the feel of the game. I think in one fight after actually beating one guy, I missed the new QTE I was somehow supposed to have seen. He hooked me and knocked me out. I don't know what I was supposed to see. Unless I was supposed to hear something? Still the story went on.
I enjoy this new fighting a lot, but that hurt my pride.

Update, I didn't understand there was no QTE there. I was being Xuying'ed again. You know nothin' punk.

Last edited:
Are there these small details, "useless" stuff that made the first two games amazing ? Like for ex all the "hidden" apartments where you could knock at the door, and sometimes get an answer...?
Yes, and junk in drawers you never need to use. I hope it didn't hurt the funding he might have used on their faces though. They are OK, but could have been better...

That’s really encouraging.
I love it, if some others don't, fuck them as you said. I love these free battles. I love how capsule toys actually matter now, got many new moves, was able to train more. It's not perfect, no, but it's so much better than 1&2. If only he went and made an announcement about S4 soon... So people could be sure. After all these years it has to continue! Or he should have done a trilogy rewriting his stupid gone with the wind. The count of Monte Cristo was 2 tomes! He needs 7 or more games? Oh well, I just want to know he won't have the Shenmue 2 situation in the end.

I’m really enjoying it thus far - still getting to grips with the combat (the sparing is only vaguely useful). Maybe 5-6 hours in today.

I find the stamina system is a bit too punishing - it penalises sprinting and I find myself often just sprint on/off with yellow health. It also means between story objectives I don’t really want to explore due to the health grinding. (Would Also of liked more useful health items - so many veggies are ridiculously low - also maybe the d-pad for quick eating?) But I’m very impressed with what they’ve built - it’s much larger and more fleshed out than I expected for sure.
There's a Caterpillar Fungus at the store that takes full care of health. Are you playing on PC?

8.6 or 8.7/10 so far. One of the best games I've ever played. But it does have it's faults. There is just so many good things about Shenmue 3 though, I couldn't be more happy with it. Bear in mind though, there's still a lot of story left. The plot is interesting but at times slow which makes it a strange game you could say. I like that anyway, Shenmue always asked for your patience.

This is truly the sequel we have waited for from what I have played.
Yeah but 1&2 were not perfect either IMO. They too had things done way better by some others, while being better overall than anything else. So far I've had great fun. More than with many other recent games.

Second city is absolutely deserted - No NPC's wandering around, if you are lucky on PS4 there might be 5 NPCs on screen at once in those ridiculously wide empty streets, at best you see the most NPCs in front of dojo training temple.
It just does not make sense, harbor city and there are absolutely no tourists or other inhabitants, you can count them on your hand.
It basically became a city full of shopkeepers which no one ever visits.

Second city is absolutely deserted - No NPC's wandering around, if you are lucky on PS4 there might be 5 NPCs on screen at once in those ridiculously wide empty streets, at best you see the most NPCs in front of dojo training temple.
It just does not make sense, harbor city and there are absolutely no tourists or other inhabitants, you can count them on your hand.
It basically became a city full of shopkeepers which no one ever visits.
It has to be for the same reason Shadow of Destiny had to do it. Very nice city, and NPCs, but if too many were on the street at once, the game would slow down. As long as the NPCs I need are there, I don't care much. S2 had way too many to create the impression you talked about, but only a few mattered. Besides, remember how much trouble they had to go to create 500 NPCs? They had to outsource it to India. Overall I'm very happy.

It has to be for the same reason Shadow of Destiny had to do it. Very nice city, and NPCs, but if too many were on the street at once, the game would slow down. As long as the NPCs I need are there, I don't care much. S2 had way too many to create the impression you talked about, but only a few mattered. Besides, remember how much trouble they had to go to create 500 NPCs? They had to outsource it to India. Overall I'm very happy.
Why are you comparing it to a game released in 2001? Technology has advanced. Of course the city should be populated to make it believable. Shenmue 2 had too many npcs? No it did not. It created the feeling of a bustling lively environment. I know you are unwilling to critique Shenmue but there is nothing positive about an empty environment.

Why are you comparing it to a game released in 2001? Technology has advanced. Of course the city should be populated to make it believable. Shenmue 2 had too many npcs? No it did not. It created the feeling of a bustling lively environment. I know you are unwilling to critique Shenmue but there is nothing positive about an empty environment.
Nah, I found many things in the 3rd I didn't like. And in 1&2. It's just that aspect I care about the least. They did what they could. In 2 they could afford to do a bit more. You'd not want a Witcher 2 type NPCs where you can just tell they are the same ones with different hair in Shenmue would you? Doing the same dumb dialogue? I hated it there. At least here they are all unique.

Yesss. This is it right here. The fighting system isn't Virtua Fighter, but it's growing on me. There's something to build on for sure if they can implement throws into Shenmue 4.

Am I the only one that thinks Ryo putting on his shoes animation is so sick? I only imagine what PC modders are gonna do with that. Putting Jordans and Nikes in that scene lol. This game really feels like the logical next step.

Nah, I found many things in the 3rd I didn't like. And in 1&2. It's just that aspect I care about the least. They did what they could. In 2 they could afford to do a bit more. You'd not want a Witcher 2 type NPCs where you can just tell they are the same ones with different hair in Shenmue would you? Doing the same dumb dialogue? I hated it there. At least here they are all unique.

The Witcher 3 styled NPCs you described are exactly like that in Shenmue 3, you cannot talk to them and their design is derived from the shopkeeper looks but with different hair color and clothing color.
And I actually don't mind that, as long as the city feels populated instead of having 5 random NPCs roam very specific areas.
Like I said, it is deserted and you pretty much see only shopkeepers without any people willing to shop - which breaks the illusion because why would there be 141 stores when no one really goes there except for 10 different people.
On top of my head throughout my entire play through I remember there was Ren, Shenhua, 2 rich people and 3 backers roaming the same specific places - rest were the same random no ones that looks are derived from shopkeepers.

Yesss. This is it right here. The fighting system isn't Virtua Fighter, but it's growing on me. There's something to build on for sure if they can implement throws into Shenmue 4.

Am I the only one that thinks Ryo putting on his shoes animation is so sick? I only imagine what PC modders are gonna do with that. Putting Jordans and Nikes in that scene lol. This game really feels like the logical next step.
Some of these moves are so dang hard, thank god for R2. I do the 2-3 I like the most OK, but some are just insane. I'd hate to get one that looks right, but I never do it.

So first off, I’m still in Bailu training to level up my Kung fu in general so still early days for me. Immediately I felt sucked back into whatever it is that made the first 2 so enjoyable. To summarise, I’m loving it so far.

can I ask though, anyone playing it on PS4, is there noticeable slowdown in certain parts of the town square and a few other areas? Akin to S2 when you ran past pigeon fountain or really busy streets in Dobuita. It not something that bothers me much but just want to make sure I’m not the only one.

So first off, I’m still in Bailu training to level up my Kung fu in general so still early days for me. Immediately I felt sucked back into whatever it is that made the first 2 so enjoyable. To summarise, I’m loving it so far.

can I ask though, anyone playing it on PS4, is there noticeable slowdown in certain parts of the town square and a few other areas? Akin to S2 when you ran past pigeon fountain or really busy streets in Dobuita. It not something that bothers me much but just want to make sure I’m not the only one.

I haven’t had any slow down surprised how smooth it is running. I have a standard ps4

Back