The Pretentious Sophistry of Super Eyepatch Wolf and His Bad Take on Shenmue III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find these kinds of videos embarrassing. Super Eyepatch posted a review of his own experiences and thoughts. Let it be. You don't have to refute whether or not someone else enjoyed a game.

"Super eyepatch wolf is clearly out of his depth when it comes to this series. He doesn't understand Shenmue at all".

"I think it shows that sew isn't informed enough on Shenmue and Virtua fighter for his opinions to be taken seriously".

Yes. Yes they are. It's a game on the market being sold to consumers. Literally anyone can review a game whether they like it or not. A consumer doesn't have to do years of research to fully grasp something before they can share their thoughts on it. If the game fails to convey things to the player then that is a shortcoming of the game itself, not the player.

I loathe elitist fanboys.

Last edited:
I find these kinds of videos embarrassing. Super Eyepatch posted a review of his own experiences and thoughts. Let it be. You don't have to refute whether or not someone else enjoyed a game.

"Super eyepatch wolf is clearly out of his depth when it comes to this series. He doesn't understand Shenmue at all".

"I think it shows that sew isn't informed enough on Shenmue and Virtua fighter for his opinions to be taken seriously".

Yes. Yes they are. It's a game and anyone can review a game whether they like it or not.

I do think you can rebuttal someone’s points about a game or any piece of art and have a well thought out discussion about it. You can respect their right to voice their opinion while still debating it.

I did find this response video abysmal though, mainly because he started attacking SEW’s character rather than staying focused on just rebuttaling the criticism at hand. I also found it ridiculous how he made out SEW to be some Saturday morning cartoon villain who has a master plan to kill the Shenmue series using his influence.

The older I get the less I understand "fanboy" mentality or even the willingness to argue with people about things they did or didn't enjoy. Take any piece of media I love and trash it, I literally don't care.

I do my best to avoid the "comment" section of any major news story (especially on social media) but once or twice I've read something so self evidently wrong that I've began typing out a reply and stopped, asking myself if this is really how I want to spend my time... Friends, family, work, hobbies, self-development, eating, sleeping... a well rounded adult life requires so much time management, the people leaving these comments have less of these activities to balance and for that I feel sorry for them, especially the hateful ones.

Yes. Yes they are. It's a game on the market being sold to consumers. Literally anyone can review a game whether they like it or not. A consumer doesn't have to do years of research to fully grasp something before they can share their thoughts on it. If the game fails to convey things to the player then that is a shortcoming of the game itself, not the player.
The funny thing is that free-market Capitalism only truly works when people are actually well informed about products, and SEPW demonstrates that he is both not well informed, and charitably dispersing his ignorance. There is this idea that everyone has opinions, and they are all equally valid, which is bunk. (That's some "birther"-level snowflake shit.) Everyone is entitled to hold his own opinion, but it is not necessarily equally valid, because some opinions are better informed than others. I could have the opinion that Street Fighter III: Third Strike is the greatest competitive fighting game ever, because of moments like this (and because I love the game):

It would be a poorly formed opinion if I don't know that Third Strike has a lot of roster balance issues due to things like most of Chun-Li's normal buttons having ridiculous priority and hit advantages over other characters, Yun's Genei Jin being classified as cheat stuff, and characters like Q basically not being good at anything.

This is what discourse is about: Determining how well informed and/or persuasive different positions are. There are better rules around it in debate settings, compared to most of the internet, but it's really no less vicious at times. The point is to attack the structure of the opposition's argument by any logical means necessary, in order to demonstrate any and all weaknesses in it. It's not a bad thing, you just need to get your ego out of the way. It's possible to have an opinion and be wrong in it. "Opinion" is not a shield against criticism.

Players don't have an obligation to study virtua fighter to get the full understanding of shenmue 3. A game review is essentially "this was my experience and what I got out of it". There's nothing to be refuted or debunked.

If a super fan has played all the virtua fighter games and sees where Yu Suzuki's reference material comes from, then good for him. It's not really relevant to most Shenmue players.

I think there's some cool information in this video and that it should have been a standalone video about that rather than trying to address someone elses review. If there's anything pretentious in all of this it's the parts where segalicious tries to discredit sepw's review because sepw's fandom isn't on his level.

It is simple to understand the problem with SEPW video, the melodramatic title "I WASTED MY LIFE" just to get more views and things like that, i will never support and respect a YouTuber that does things this way. The other part is misinformation on the video. Body check and reverse body are not the same move.

SEPW can dislike Shenmue III all he wants, this is not the problem, the problem is other, SEPW and other YouTubers are the reason why i prefer not to watch this types of videos anymore. I respect when people say to me they didn't like Shenmue III, even if someone make a video saying things they didn't like about the game, if the person do in a nice way i can respect that, what i don't respect is the sensational and melodramatic way he did it, is disgusting what people do for views and money.

Imagine i disliked Shenmue III, I would never make a video with a sensational title saying that I wasted my life and with wrong information in the video, all i know is that i will never do that in a disgusting way. if I were to make a video saying things I didn't like about Shenmue III i would never do it in a sensational way.

One more thing... that fanfic ending that he made is really bad, Ryo is not supposed to hit Lan Di in this moment of the story, he is not strong enough, he is not mature enough, he needs more training, even Iwao was not able to hit Lan Di. Ryo is not ready and he will mature a lot in my opinion.

One of the things I notice about Shenmue is that it’s about Ryo’s journey, is about who he meets and what he learns from them, in Shenmue One Ryo learns with a homeless man, this was so beautiful, one of my favorite parts of the first game.

in my opinion he will continue to learn in Shenmue IV and V, he will mature more and i think will be really beautiful to see, i think the ending of the saga will be so emotional, we will see Ryo transforming into Akira or something like that and i think this will be beautiful.

Last edited:
People still upset over the title of the video? Oh well, I guess.

If someone confuses the two moves that look similar, in a 30 hour game, then big deal. Maybe Yu Suzuki should have made more of an effort to differentiate them. I've seen people on this forum confuse them as the same move.

People can dislike Shenmue III all they want but complain about things like Ryo putting his shoes? this is insane and i will never understand that.

Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue One: Ryo putting his shoes is a nice scene, nice touch to the game, we even learn more about asian culture playing Shenmue, really nice.

Shenmue fans in 2019 playing Shenmue III: Whaaaaaaat? we have a scene in Shenmue III where Ryo put his shoes? this is sooooo annoying, this is insane, one more reason why this game is bad.

Yeah... people really can dislike Shenmue III all they want, all i know is that i will never understand people complaning about what makes Shenmue so unique and different from other games, but yeah... i think gamers now only want games to be a copy of Yakuza and GTA, it is really sad, i hope Yu Suzuki don't change the essence of Shenmue, this essence is what makes Shenmue so different and special in my opinion.

Shenmue I and III.png

Last edited:
Here’s a thought: if SEPW was genuinely confused why two moves were ‘the same’, why couldn’t he do a quick Google search or rewatch those two scenes again as research for his video?

If I were in his shoes and I believed I saw the same scene play out twice in a video game, I would find it so hilarious and shocking that I would want to make sure what I was watching was indeed what I thought it was before I’d tear it to shreds in my critique. Getting more confirmation of this ‘error’ would have only made his argument that much stronger. I think it’s only fair to expect YouTubers like these to make more of an effort instead of resorting to laziness considering that they’re getting paid to inform a large audience about these things.

People can dislike Shenmue III all they want but complain about things like Ryo putting his shoes? this is insane and i will never understand that.

Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue One: Ryo putting his shoes is a nice scene, nice touch to the game, we even learn more about asian culture playing Shenmue, really nice.

Shenmue fans in 2019 playing Shenmue III: Whaaaaaaat? we have a scene in Shenmue III where Ryo put his shoes? this is sooooo annoying, this is insane, one more reason why this game is bad.

Yeah... people really can dislike Shenmue III all they want, all i know is that i will never understand people complaning about what makes Shenmue so unique and different from other games, but yeah... i think gamers now only want games to be a copy of Yakuza and GTA, it is really sad, i hope Yu Suzuki don't change the essence of Shenmue, this essence is what makes shenmue so different and special in my opinion.
Shenhua has to say bye to Ryo in the morning like how any normal girl would? SHENMUE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT REALISM!!!

...Oh wait.

Shenhua has to say bye to Ryo in the morning like how any normal girl would? SHENMUE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT REALISM!!!

...Oh wait.
I love when Shenhua say bye bye to Ryo in the morning, we can even see Ryo a little happy, and the song that plays in the part is really beautiful. Moments like this is what makes Shenmue so unique and special for me.

Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue One: Potato chips, oh Shenhua is here, this is so cute, we have Shenmue Chocolate, Shenhua is here too, we have products with Shenhua, nice touch to the game. 😊

Shenmue Fans Playing Shenmue III: Whaaaaaaaaat? We have capsule toys with Shenmue one characters? wait a minute... i got Nozomi?? this don't make any sense to me, capsule toys don't make any sense in this game, one more reason why this game is bad. 😡

Shenmue I and III Capsule toys.png

Last edited:

Wait wait wait wait wait..... don't you rail against those of us who enjoy Shenmue 3... simply because you don't?

Just need a bit of clarification, please. Much appreciated!

Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue one: Now i'm forced to work in the harbor everyday? we are even forced to play the forklift race everyday? hm... yeah... this game is from 1999 so i can forgive that, Shenmue is a masterpiece, a game ahead of its time, Shenmue forever in my heart. 🥰

Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue III: Whaaaaaaat? i'm forced to work, collect herbs, fishing to earn money to buy a expensive wine for a drunk master? it looks like to me this master don't follow the 4 Wude properly, this is insane, this master have to be just like Lishao Tao/Xiuying, Lishao Tao/Xiuying was a awesome master, now we get a drunk master that forces you to buy wine and catch chickens?? what was Yu Suzuki thinking when he did this madness? Jesus Christ, this is insane, is 2019, we can't have a game like this, we can't have a drunk master in this game, is insane doing this things for the drunk master, this game needs to have everything that the masterpiece Shenmue II have, yeah... this is insane to me, one more reason why this game is bad. 🤬

Shenmue I and III.jpg

About the moves they look similar but is not the game's fault, even the Kanji are totally different, i really pay attention when i play, in this case is really the players fault for not paying attention to the game.
Moves.jpg

I'm not saying Shenmue III is perfect, all i'm saying is that complaining about every little thing is insane. Complaining about Ryo eating garlic is insane, complaining about the apples in the hotel is insane, we are not forced to pick the apples everyday,

Complaining about capsule toys with Shenmue I and II characters is insane, complaining about the fact that Ryo have to walk when he passes the statue is insane, complaining about the scene that Ryo put his shoes is insane, complaining about the "Shenmue Saved" part is insane, after 18 years now we have Shenmue III, the "Shenmue Saved" part was a beautiful touch to the game to say thanks to some people who made this game a reality, i wish i was part of the game too, maybe i will never have this chance to be a part of a Shenmue game.

People can like the game and people can dislike the game, all i know is that complaining about every little thing is insane, everytime comparing Shenmue III with Shenmue II is insane, 18 years of hype really did damage.

I remember one time when i saw this... "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" No, i'm not deluded, i pay attention when i play games. Even if someday Shenmue IV releases, maybe i will not like the game but i know one thing, i'm not wasting my life 😉

In a lot of threads we talked about the same things over and over again, if some people want to hate everything about the game then go ahead. I really don't want to be a part of this discussion anymore.

Last edited:
Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue one: Now i'm forced to work in the harbor everyday? we are even forced to play the forklift race everyday? hm... yeah... this game is from 1999 so i can forgive that, Shenmue is a masterpiece, a game ahead of its time, Shenmue forever in my heart. 🥰

Shenmue Fans playing Shenmue III: Whaaaaaaat? i'm forced to work, collect herbs, fishing to earn money to buy a expensive wine for a drunk master? it looks like to me this master don't follow the 4 Wude properly, this is insane, this master have to be just like Lishao Tao/Xiuying, Lishao Tao/Xiuying was a awesome master, now we get a drunk master that forces you to buy wine and catch chickens?? what was Yu Suzuki thinking when he did this madness? Jesus Christ, this is insane, is 2019, we can't have a game like this, we can't have a drunk master in this game, is insane doing this things for the drunk master, this game needs to have everything that the masterpiece Shenmue II have, yeah... this is insane to me, one more reason why this game is bad. 🤬

View attachment 9262

About the moves they look similar but is not the game's fault, even the Kanji are totally different, i really pay attention when i play, in this case is really the players fault for not paying attention to the game.
View attachment 9264

I'm not saying Shenmue III is perfect, all i'm saying is that complaining about every little thing is insane. Complaining about Ryo eating garlic is insane, complaining about the apples in the hotel is insane, we are not forced to pick the apples everyday,

Complaining about capsule toys with Shenmue I and II characters is insane, complaining about the fact that Ryo have to walk when he passes the statue is insane, complaining about the scene that Ryo put his shoes is insane, complaining about the "Shenmue Saved" part is insane, after 18 years now we have Shenmue III, the "Shenmue Saved" part was a beautiful touch to the game to say thanks to some people who made this game a reality, i wish i was part of the game too, maybe i will never have this chance to be a part of a Shenmue game.

People can like the game and people can dislike the game, all i know is that complaining about every little thing is insane, everytime comparing Shenmue III with Shenmue II is insane, 18 years of hype really did damage.

I remember one time when i saw this... "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" No, i'm not deluded, i pay attetion when i play games. Even if someday Shenmue IV releases, maybe i will not like the game but i know one thing, i'm not wasting my life 😉

In a lot of threads we talked about the same things over and over again, if some people want to hate everything about the game then go ahead. I really don't want to be a part of this discussion anymore.
Well said. (y) 👏👏👏

You guys just seem absolutely hysterical now.

Well if that's the case, I get the vibe that either you are a wind up merchant or you are just an incredibly miserable human being. I don't think i've ever seen a post you've done that wasn't negative or downbeat in one sense or another.

I still stand that it's OK for people to say they aren't keen on Shenmue III. It's when you express it in a hyperbolic way that is the main issue. I'm pretty sure he could have gotten his points across without acting like his entire world was destroyed and still got his million+ views.

The more we normalise hyperbole, the more difficult it is to have a nuanced debate.

I still can't comprehend that you guys are taking seriously the "ruined my life" part. I instantly perceived it as humor and jest but somehow I'm the negative one because I accepted his review as his opinion expressed in his style as opposed to being upset about it for the past several months and taking it as a personal attack.

The reason you see me post mostly negative stuff is because I post primarily on the S3 board and I think the game is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back