The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Yakuza has triple the budget and triple the staff.

Well over 300 people worked on Yakuza 6.

It's also had about 12 chances to improve and refine its formula. Give Yu Suzuki a break. Dude's basically been in retirement for 18 years, and managed to crank out a fully voice acted, epic adventure game on a shoestring budget. I just hate how little respect they give the series given its circumstance.

The 'weaponized nostalgia' thing is actually what offended me the most. Fuck outta here with your concern trolling. WE BEGGED YU SUZUKI TO MAKE THIS GAME. He didn't just say "Well I need a new Ferrari, time to sucker my loyal fans!" He came out of semi-retirement to work his ass off and make a true sequel, and he's got to deal with clowns making accusations that are completely false. What an asshole this guy is.

Somebody find this guy and dox him. :grin:
I know you might just be joking around, but comments like that are totally unacceptable and not going to be tolerated here. I've issued you a warning.

1&2 HD for ps4 got a 75 on metacritic so I would be surprised if Shenmue 3 got less. I'm expecting an 8 at least personally.
I was actually always preparing that the game was gonna score worse than whatever 1 and 2 did, cause I think its slow pace was chocked up to old age and some reviews were forgiving it, but then for 3 people would be much harsher as its more modern.

I do feel like sometimes they mean to say, they want the game to borrow some stuff from yakuza's strengths but word it poorly and make it sound like you need to chose 1 or the other.

then theres that techadvisor previews which outright says go play yakuza 0 instead, the 2 year old game.

YAKUZA DOES IT SO MUCH BETTER!

Get used to that, folks, cuz you're going to see that in every bad review.

Oh yeah, I'm ready for that in every bad review. So ready for them to bring out that tired lazy line that shows they have no fucking clue how these games differ.

The "Yakuza Does it Better" critique is as lazy as the "It's the Dark Souls of..." critique to me.

Last edited:
I do feel like sometimes they mean to say, they want the game to borrow some stuff from yakuza's strengths but word it poorly and make it sound like you need to chose 1 or the other.

then theres that techadvisor previews which outright says go play yakuza 0 instead, the 2 year old game.

4 year old game, actually... (going on 5 in 4 months or so) .

YAKUZA DOES IT SO MUCH BETTER!

Get used to that, folks, cuz you're going to see that in every bad review.
There was a time when I was curious in checking out the Yakuza games, but the thought of playing an 'imitation' of Shenmue didn't really appeal to me. I don't want a spiritual successor, I want the real deal!

But now after all the "Go play Yakuza instead!" shrieking, its all just a bit grating and I'm even less compelled to check it out.

Go the harassment way with reviewers when negative reviews surface and you will destroy all the positive things the Shenmue community has done all those years in two fucking evenings. I think we are all (well, except one user) grown ups here to know that in this day internet backlash exist, also I will dispase to be part of a community with toxics bullies on it.

Universal acclaim does not exist, deal with it.

There was a time when I was curious in checking out the Yakuza games, but the thought of playing an 'imitation' of Shenmue didn't really appeal to me. I don't want a spiritual successor, I want the real deal!

But now after all the "Go play Yakuza instead!" shrieking, its all just a bit grating and I'm even less compelled to check it out.

I was never aware of this (fabricated?) rivalry between the two series until recent years. I played and enjoyed Yakuza 2-5 before I got a little burned out on it. It's a great series but I've never thought of it as an alternative to Shenmue.

Man, I hadn't read that Tech Adviser preview until now.

This line

At the time, I described the announcement as weaponised nostalgia, aiming to take advantage of Shenmue fans by monetising their warm and fuzzy feelings about a Shenmue sequel, offering a sub-par game in exchange.

Weaponised nostalgia? What the fuck, man. That alone should tell you this writer had ZERO interest in even evaluating the game objectively when they already held the opinion that the KS announcement was exploiting the fanbase. Also, how did they know at the time of announcement it was gonna be a sub par game? ;)

Then it goes on.

I don't hate Shenmue 3, despite my constant complaints. I'm still curious to explore rural China, and as a long-time Shenmue mark, I'm excited to finally get some justice on Lan Di after he punched my in-game Dad to death back in 2000.

Long time Shenmue mark you say? Yet you just told me that they exploited us...if you were a long time Shenmue mark then even you would know this game wasn't happening without the KS. The only reason III happened is because we put our money where our mouth was...but this is exploiting us, how? I didn't realize that asking fans for money to give fans what they wanted is now the same as exploiting them.

Something tells me this writer is full of shit.

Last edited:
I was never aware of this (fabricated?) rivalry between the two series until recent years. I played and enjoyed Yakuza 2-5 before I got a little burned out on it. It's a great series but I've never thought of it as an alternative to Shenmue.
It really only started in recent years, before that the comparison was pretty much always used as a compliment to get people to buy a super niche series until 0 brought the series some overdue attention and respect. I really only noticed it starting to be used to drag shenmue down like...pretty much this year and I am pretty much positive it exclusively is coming from new fans that started with 0 or the ones after, especially since there was a ramp up in the negativity only after the epic games deal thing, coincidentally at the time there were like 2 new yakuza games on steam.

Not trying to pull the whole true fan fallacy, but like, if you gonna play the 6th mainline game in the series first and then try to act like you know the series to drag down another, then yeah not really gonna consider them to be a fan.

I don't even think of it as an alternative. I just think of it as a franchise that stands on its own two feet and does it own thing.

I don't get this "one or the other" need that most people seem to have towards these games. How many fucking GTA knock offs do we have in this world that get away with it? Why is it a crime for Shenmue to exist in the same world as Yakuza? Unlike these critics, I enjoy both franchises for very different reasons.

One is a martial arts epic that takes us globetrotting around China.
The other is a Japanese crime drama.

Both are good in their own right...both don't need to be compared. Both can stand on their own two feet. Yes, Yakuza does share some similarities to Shenmue on the surface, but they are entirely surface level. (i.e both have Arcades, both have mini games, both use fighting as their primary combat system) but those similarities are surface level. To me, anytime a critic brings up this lazy critique serves as just another example of how little they've actually played both games in question. Because anyone who has played both games can extensively tell you a list of differences.

But it's no wonder why Nagoshi and Suzuki probably dislike the comparison...it must get really boring to have your baby compared instead of ever being evaluated as its own unique thing that stands on its own two feet.

Last edited:

They're fantastic games, it's a shame these twats have no problem tarnishing the fanbase's reputation (which 9 times out of 10 they're not even a part of) just because they have a bone to pick with Shenmue.

I vaguely remember pre-Shenmue 3, Yakuza was talked about by some people as if it were almost Sega's spiritual successor to the Shenmue franchise. This was pretty cool, as fans who had been disheartened by Shenmue's cancellation could check out this other series which had some superficial similarities (and from what I hear) is equally brilliant.

But ever since Shenmue 3's announcement, I'm seeing more "Go play Yakuza instead!" type comments and contrary to what these reviewers/people think, it doesn't exactly fill me with hype and make me suddenly go "Oh, well OK!" :rolleyes:

It's easy to tell the critics that bring up Yakuza 0 are not longtime Yakuza fans.
To a degree, its pretty much the most unanimously liked entry in the series and probably will stay that way so its not too far fetched to bring it up, but it is always a bit suspicious when they specifically bring up only 0. I think the real way to tell is when they try to describe the series as a whole, then basically only say things about 0 and up.

I'm glad people got into the series, believe me I aint tolerating another wait like yakuza 5 was, and hell Ishin still alludes us, but it definitely feels like theres a cool to like atmosphere around the series post 0 with certain folk, but I guess the fact that positivity of the series has persisted this long since does kind of disprove that, I think the people that were just bandwagoning probably yeeted themselves away after realizing the games would be 60% recycled content and the majority that actually liked it stayed. Its also not like it was just 0 that marked positivity for the series, 5 kind of get caught in that weird middle ground of not talked bout but not unknown just cause of the oddity of its release, but its still like the 3rd highest rated entry in the series in the west

Last edited:
Back