The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

I srsly think people have not study Shenmue's combat in depth enuf to even claim Yakuza is deeper. Someone with a good capture device, a nice sexy voice, and well study knowledge of the two franchise should put this shet to rest with an analyses video. With a visual presentation we can slap someone with every time this comes up, I'm sure we can change this dumb narrative that is pervasive. Even this N64 game has deeper combat depth than Yakuza for starters:

The Soviet Union really? Jesus fuck. You people are delusional. The game blows. Get over it. If anyone is trying to curb truth it's idiots like you on this site inflating scores on a game that absolutely doesn't deserve it. Get a god-damned grip on reality.

giphy.gif

Wow I didn’t realize how popular AngryJoe was until I just looked him up. I hadn’t heard of him until Yakuza 0 and I never really watched his video on it. I didn’t expect him to have such a bigger viewer base than Easy Allies and Gamesack. Gaming companies need to make a greater effort to control the narrative of their games by utilizing social media better. Sega should put the same effort into their other properties’ online presence that they have done with Sonic.

I been saying that for years. Even directly TO Sega lol

I wouldnt even have picked that avatar.
I def woulda gone with the sunglasses long haired Yakuza doorman guy in the Yokosuka jacket that says "Shut the hell up. If you don't shut the hell up, I'll make you wish you had"

(my theory is that is Akira from Yakuza Zero/Yakuza Kiwami, and the Yakuza guy in the purple suit and sunglasses inside that room is Daisuke Kuze also from Yakuza Zero)

I srsly think people have not study Shenmue's combat in depth enuf to even claim Yakuza is deeper. Someone with a good capture device, a nice sexy voice, and well study knowledge of the two franchise should put this shet to rest with an analyses video. With a visual presentation we can slap someone with every time this comes up, I'm sure we can change this dumb narrative that is pervasive. Even this N64 game has deeper combat depth than Yakuza for starters:

One thing I saw a Youtuber game reviewer point out that Yakuza does well though when he was reviewing The Last of Us, was how the NPC enemy A.I. react in real time to the damage output you do, in that, some will cower in fear if you successfully take out one of their own in a spectacular way. The was the YT'ber basically explaining how TLoU initially promised emergent A.I. even weeks before the game released, but the actual product did not have it. Yet, Yakuza games actually had examples of emergent A.I.
But yeah outside that, the combat never really was that deep.
Have you played the Yakuza 7 demo? Its turn based.

One thing I saw a Youtuber game reviewer point out that Yakuza does well though when he was reviewing The Last of Us, was how the NPC enemy A.I. react in real time to the damage output you do, in that, some will cower in fear if you successfully take out one of their own in a spectacular way. The was the YT'ber basically explaining how TLoU initially promised emergent A.I. even weeks before the game released, but the actual product did not have it. Yet, Yakuza games actually had examples of emergent A.I.
But yeah outside that, the combat never really was that deep.
Have you played the Yakuza 7 demo? Its turn based.
Hyperbithero is who your talking about, hes great and just came back from a long hiatus

Huber shared his thoughts on shenmue 3 on the newest frame trap, I am not going to post the link however as its exclusive to patrons right now before going public in a few days and I dont want to be shitty about that, but anyone that is a patron to Easy Allies its up there now. He talks for about 20 min it looks so imma bout to go grind while hearing his thoughts.

Edit: so from what I gather that we will likely be seeing in the review
He is definitely going to be criticizing the combat alot, he basically describes it as, not broken but its just not good. It shows glimpses of quality but its often times just so few and far between that he does think the system does detract from the overall game but not by much, as he goes on to praise how the game's greatest strength is that everything feels impactful from the training to earning money, it feels like you are always building towards something.

Overall talks about how much he loves the small optional character stuff and how you get into the routine, but also mentioned that putting his reviewer hat on the game has some problems that its very easy to tear the game down, and it kind of implies that he might be going into the game a bit harsher than youd expect when he puts out his review so it will be interesting to see how he ranks it, impersonally expecting a 7 to a 7.5 judging from what I hear

Last edited:
Huber shared his thoughts on shenmue 3 on the newest frame trap, I am not going to post the link however as its exclusive to patrons right now before going public in a few days and I dont want to be shitty about that, but anyone that is a patron to Easy Allies its up there now. He talks for about 20 min it looks so imma bout to go grind while hearing his thoughts.

Edit: so from what I gather that we will likely be seeing in the review
He is definitely going to be criticizing the combat alot, he basically describes it as, not broken but its just not good. It shows glimpses of quality but its often times just so few and far between that he does think the system does detract from the overall game but not by much, as he goes on to praise how the game's greatest strength is that everything feels impactful from the training to earning money, it feels like you are always building towards something.

Not to tear down Huber because I like Huber..but he also said Shenmue 1 and 2’s combat wasn’t great...I saw how he played Shenmue 1 and 2 on the Game trailer streams...he button mashes. The other guy on stream (can’t remember his name) had a much better idea of how to play it than Huber did. Huber is self admittedly not really into fighting games so I understand why he might think its weak though...especially when it rips through aimless button mashing unlike the first two games which were kind of more forgiving to button mashers. (I still think Shenmue 1 and 2 has some shred of dynamic difficulty to its fights)

Considering III punishes button mashing (and move spamming) quite regularly, I can maybe see why he wouldn’t like it.

Don’t get me wrong....I still think it’s a fault of YS Net that they never actually explain their combat system and instead almost encourage button mashing when the game actively shuts it down...in some ways, they should have something in game to explains basics of it.

But yeah. I still await his final review...overall he seemed happy with it though. Just happy to have it none the less/

Last edited:
Not to tear down Huber because I like Huber..but he also said Shenmue 1 and 2’s combat wasn’t great...I saw how he played Shenmue 1 and 2 on the Game trailer streams...he button mashes. The other guy on stream (can’t remember his name) had a much better idea of how to play it than Huber did. Huber is self admittedly not really into fighting games so I understand why he might think its weak though...especially when it rips through aimless button mashing unlike the first two games which were kind of more forgiving to button mashers. (I still think Shenmue 1 and 2 has some shred of dynamic difficulty to its fights)

Considering III punishes button mashing (and move spamming) quite regularly, I can maybe see why he wouldn’t like it.

Don’t get me wrong....I still think it’s a fault of YS Net that they never actually explain their combat system and instead almost encourage button mashing when the game actively shuts it down...in some ways, they should have something in game to explains basics of it.

But yeah. I still await his final review...overall he seemed happy with it though. Just happy to have it none the less/

I completely agree. I honestly actually really enjoy the combat. It's not perfect and does need some improvements moving forward, but I think it worked well. As you said, you can't just button mash, you need to learn the moves and use a bit of strategy of dodging, blocking and waiting for openings.

Couldn't agree more with you guys on the fighting really. I know it's not perfect but it's so much better than people are giving it credit for. I've watched how Huber, and so many other people approach the fighting on twitch and youtube, and they are all using ONLY the right trigger. The fighting system is simply what you make of it, you get out what you put in.
If you just set up 5 moves in MT, cycle between then with R1 & L1, and then press R2 to execute, then I'll say it here, you are doing it wrong.
If you're only using right trigger, you are doing multiple things that will hinder your fun of the combat:-
  • You're locked to 5 moves per fight (these moves might also be shit for said fight - aka it could be a multi person fight and you have 5 moves that are single target).
  • You will not be using other lesser attacks in between, and these are the ones which allow you to chain moves together.
  • You will probably never find out which moves go together well with each other, as you have just limited your testing down from ~92 to 5.
  • Only using 5 moves is going to get and feel boring.
  • It also makes the fight look cinematically shit, as you're just spamming the same move over and over.
  • It's brainless. The whole idea of training (for the player) in the game is to teach you the button combinations. It's like Yu's way of teaching you (and Ryo) how to do the move (it's actually a pretty cool way of doing it to be honest - drilling it into your head "B, B, A" over and over. Much like how repetition is how you would master the move in real life). Learning all these combinations while you are mastering moves, and then just disregarding that is dumb.
  • It won't be AS fun.
  • It limits your ability (see my comment below).
Aside from the above, I've read so many people say that the fighting has no skill, and that you just level up Ryo until you shit on the next opponent. Yet again, that is a by-product of just using Right Trigger. There are 92 scroll moves in the game and by limiting yourself to 5 per fight, you're going to under perform. You're not chaining, not learning what moves go together well, and you're not able to choose which moves are good for the situation. Just go watch someone on twitch or on Youtube, and they will be using the same 5 moves. It's boring to watch and honestly looks fucking stupid.

Now I know it's not the players fault 100%, as the in-game tutorial for fighting is terrible (I think I will make a email to YsNet about it and include some of this thread), but please next time you play the game, give it a go. Go into the move list, take a look at some of the move animations/descriptions in the bottom right and find what you like. Learn those combinations and try to fight without using Right Trigger. You will have a better experience with the fighting, will be able to beat better opponents, it look's and feels thousands times better, and above all else, IT'S MORE FUN!!!!

Edit:- Just seen some videos from @Dan on the fighting thread, and it's exactly what I am talking about. He makes the fighting look great as he has learnt the moves, the combos and when to chain them together well. It looks so much better than someone just spamming R2.

Here's another video of his with a 5 chain combo, looks amazing!

Try doing that shit with the Right Trigger. So impressed by these videos!

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with you guys on the fighting really. I know it's not perfect but it's so much better than people are giving it credit for. I've watched how Huber, and so many other people approach the fighting on twitch and youtube, and they are all using ONLY the right trigger. The fighting system is simply what you make of it, you get out what you put in.
If you just set up 5 moves in MT, cycle between then with R1 & L1, and then press R2 to execute, then I'll say it here, you are doing it wrong.
If you're only using right trigger, you are doing multiple things that will hinder your fun of the combat:-
  • You're locked to 5 moves per fight (these moves might also be shit for said fight - aka it could be a multi person fight and you have 5 moves that are single target).
  • You will not be using other lesser attacks in between, and these are the ones which allow you to chain moves together.
  • You will probably never find out which moves go together well with each other, as you have just limited your testing down from ~92 to 5.
  • Only using 5 moves is going to get and feel boring.
  • It also makes the fight look cinematically shit, as you're just spamming the same move over and over.
  • It's brainless. The whole idea of training (for the player) in the game is to teach you the button combinations. It's like Yu's way of teaching you (and Ryo) how to do the move (it's actually a pretty cool way of doing it to be honest - drilling it into your head "B, B, A" over and over. Much like how repetition is how you would master the move in real life). Learning all these combinations while you are mastering moves, and then just disregarding that is dumb.
  • It won't be AS fun.
  • It limits your ability (see my comment below).
Aside from the above, I've read so many people say that the fighting has no skill, and that you just level up Ryo until you shit on the next opponent. Yet again, that is a by-product of just using Right Trigger. There are 92 scroll moves in the game and by limiting yourself to 5 per fight, you're going to under perform. You're not chaining, not learning what moves go together well, and you're not able to choose which moves are good for the situation. Just go watch someone on twitch or on Youtube, and they will be using the same 5 moves. It's boring to watch and honestly looks fucking stupid.

Now I know it's not the players fault 100%, as the in-game tutorial for fighting is terrible (I think I will make a email to YsNet about it and include some of this thread), but please next time you play the game, give it a go. Go into the move list, take a look at some of the move animations/descriptions in the bottom right and find what you like. Learn those combinations and try to fight without using Right Trigger. You will have a better experience with the fighting, will be able to beat better opponents, it look's and feels thousands times better, and above all else, IT'S MORE FUN!!!!

indeed :)

I don’t mean to tear down Huber because I genuinely like the guy, but watching the stream yesterday and watching him spam the same R2 pre-defined move and watching them block it over and over was a moment of ”dude, stop spamming the same move. They know and they’re blocking it on purpose”

Like you and Reprise said. It’s not perfect...but it’s really not as bad as some are making it out to be either. Multi men battles aren’t perfect and I do miss throws and genuine counters...but considering I had real LOW expectations for the fighting...I’m genuinely surprised by how decent it actually is and even more surprised that there is at least a little challenge and depth to it.

Its a good foundation for something that could be better with refinement.

I like the combat but I'm not sure double-tapping the left stick was the best choice for dodging. I think tapping the right stick once to dodge, like in God of War, would've been more comfortable. Cycling through multiple opponents could've been done on the bumpers or something.

Then there's the fact that you can just find a powerful move and spam the shit out of it. Sure, you still have to dodge and get your timing right, but still. I can't remember what it's called but the kick Square + Cross + Circle absolutely destroys. I have to stop myself from just lining that up every time and try something different. I don't know what it's like on harder difficulties (I assume enemies just have higher HP) but on Normal, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of enemies learning from you repeating the same move.

You don't have to double tap to dodge. It's a single tap as long as you are not moving. At the same time, I'd also prefer if there was a dedicated dodge button, and on PC there is (it is space bar). When the game comes out on Steam and I go to get all the achievements there, I'll be binding space bar to it's own button for this very purpose.

Also, on hard, you can't just spam the same move as they will block it :D

That's true, it isn't a double-tap exactly but it feels like it because you have to stop moving to do it. Not sure you should have to stop moving in order to...move some more, but whatever. It's not too bad.

Also, I would've preferred a real block that actually works and simply breaks after 2-3 hits, rather than a block that barely works and can take quite a few hits...it's almost pointless to use when you can dodge and move instead.

indeed :)

I don’t mean to tear down Huber because I genuinely like the guy, but watching the stream yesterday and watching him spam the same R2 pre-defined move and watching them block it over and over was a moment of ”dude, stop spamming the same move. They know and they’re blocking it on purpose”

Like you and Reprise said. It’s not perfect...but it’s really not as bad as some are making it out to be either. Multi men battles aren’t perfect and I do miss throws and genuine counters...but considering I had real LOW expectations for the fighting...I’m genuinely surprised by how decent it actually is and even more surprised that there is at least a little challenge and depth to it.

Its a good foundation for something that could be better with refinement.

I'm not too sure Huber was ever really into the combat in Shenmue.... he's more a fan of the mini games like Luckey Hit.

I gotta admit that in Shenmue I totally just spammed PPKKK constantly during fights.

I'm not too sure Huber was ever really into the combat in Shenmue.... he's more a fan of the mini games like Luckey Hit.

I gotta admit that in Shenmue I totally just spammed PPKKK constantly during fights.

Yeah, I know...I saw that from the Game trailer streams. Hell, even watching them spend like a 1000 yuan on the capsules machines in yesterdays stream and you could tell that's what he loves most about these games. Stuff like that is what makes Shenmue for him...not necessarily the combat. Like I said, I don't mean to rag on the guy, I just don't know if I trust his evaluation on the combat in this series is all. Considering he didn't really seem to dig into any of it even in the previous games....but oh well, still looking forward to seeing his review when it hits.

Based on that ep of Frame Trap...I would guess Swimmin' in 7's (or 8)

Last edited:
Back