The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

I feel like everything could have been avoided if back in the day Sega gave Sierra Shen publishing rights in the US and renamed the game "Karate Quest".

Wat are you talking about? As godly as Sierra is, at the time the Shenmue were being made/coming out, Sierra was going under sigh. That's when the pure adventure genre died, the Shenmue games were the last, and what a high note for the genre to go out on.

In the past 7ish years, there's been a revival going on, triggered by the increase of indie games no doubt. However before that, and going back to right after when Shenmue 2 was released, the pure Adventure genre was dead.

A 60 came in and the average is below 70 again.

I really hope that it won't be below 70 when it's all said and done because of the scrutiny the game would receive then. My biggest nightmare is for my beloved game to be seriously compared to Mighty no9.

What we need is US IGN and Famitsu.. I think both will score it fairly high (7+)

I really hope that it won't be below 70 when it's all said and done because of the scrutiny the game would receive then. My biggest nightmare is for my beloved game to be seriously compared to Mighty no9.
I don't think you have to worry. The different versions of Mighty No. 9 rate between 48-55 on metacritic. Right now Shenmue 3 still has a 20 point lead. Most of the remaining gaming websites will probably follow suite with the precedent already set and give Shenmue 3 around a 70, maybe higher if they're feeling generous. Because if there's one thing we can count on it's the lack of free will amongst journalists.

Find this paragraph quite funny:

All of which leads us to the matter of the score, which in this case is almost irrelevant. If you’re a fan we suspect you’ll admit all the faults we’ve listed and gleefully accept them, because – lack of closure notwithstanding – this is exactly the game you’ve been wishing for all these years.
This is a fairly positive review from gameranx, with his 'before you buy' series. This guy has a major channel that can get anywhere from 200k to 1m+ views on his videos. Overall, while he can't recommend Shenmue 3 to newcomers he still gives a great overview of the game. This video's wide reach might just entice some people to buy Shenmue 3 all the same.

Yeah gameranx is fair and a fan of the series. I also thought his Before You Buy for the Shenmue HD games was fair.

Find this paragraph quite funny:

All of which leads us to the matter of the score, which in this case is almost irrelevant. If you’re a fan we suspect you’ll admit all the faults we’ve listed and gleefully accept them, because – lack of closure notwithstanding – this is exactly the game you’ve been wishing for all these years.

Yeah gameranx is fair and a fan of the series. I also thought his Before You Buy for the Shenmue HD games was fair.
I only watched the summary at the end as wanted to avoid any potential spoilers. From what I've watched his comments are fair however It appears that he hasn't completed the game yet, if that is the case I would have rather him delay this video until he did, after all the journey / story is one of the most important factors towards someones enjoyment of this game.

Boxcellios. Its sequel ended up in another title.

I LOVE Mushi King! When I went to Joypolis, I spent a good hour just playing against the computer; such a fun and refreshing take on Janken! :D
Boxcelious isn't in 5. Its in Yakuza 3. Its also in 4 and Dead Souls along with its sequel. But its cut for Gunrhein in 5. I couldn't find it or its sequel in 5 anywhere, was quite disappointed as I loved it :(

No one liked Mighty No 9. Most seem to like Shenmue 3. I doubt anyone is begging for a mighty no 9 sequel.
Ok, as a Mega Man fan yes I actually liked parts of MN9, appreciate you not speaking for me there. Also, your wrong about a sequel from MN9 as well, because it got one, sorta. And shocker, its was pretty damn good. People should really check out Mighty Gunvolt Burst - it takes the main character from the Gunvolt series and throws him into an 8bit styled adventure that features Beck from MN9 and the main 8 baddies from MN9. Its got an insanely varied weapon modding system that lets you customise your main attack to staggering levels, and has good/great level and boss design. Between the visual shift and better mission design, it ends up showing that MN9 could have been much better, with just care.

Not sure if this has been said already, but I can’t help thinking that Deep Silver shot themselves in the foot with their ridiculous review embargo and sending the game to reviewers so late in the day.

Embargoing reviews until two days after release is a joke. Reviewers could go to the shop and buy a copy and write about it on launch day and there’s absolutely nothing DS could do.

All their embargo and late delivery of the game did was piss off reviewers and force them to rush through the game (or write their reviews before actually completing the game), none of which is a good idea when they’re somewhat relying on positive reviews to sell the game.

That being said, I haven’t read many unfair criticisms so far, although am perhaps a little confused as to how some of the critiques correlate to the scores given.

That French magazine seems to really have it out for Shenmue and Yu Suzuki. They gave it 10/20 because it didn’t break new ground and looked a little rough around the edges at times and yet gave the new Football Manager game, a game that’s more or less the same each year, 17. Even the latest WWE (12/20) game outscored Shenmue III and that is a broken mess.

How I wish gamers could review gaming publications...

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been said already, but I can’t help thinking that Deep Silver shot themselves in the foot with their ridiculous review embargo and sending the game to reviewers so late in the day.

Embargoing reviews until two days after release is a joke. Reviewers could go to the shop and buy a copy and write about it on launch day and there’s absolutely nothing DS could do.

All their embargo and late delivery of the game did was piss off reviewers and force them to rush through the game (or write their reviews before actually completing the game), none of which is a good idea when they’re somewhat relying on positive reviews to sell the game.

The embargo being set two days after release wasn't actually true.

The embargo being set two days after release wasn't actually true.
Yeah. Apparently the confusion arose as a result of something said by a DS staff member.

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if they backtracked after the backlash from publications and blamed a nameless employee, but regardless of whether their version of events is true or not, DS staff members should not be telling publications things that could possibly lead to publications thinking this.

Good old Polygon...they never cease to disappoint with their BS.

I stopped reading it after I seen the title of their review. Saying it's not even passable as a video game is up there with one of the worst comments I have seen about a video game. They are basically saying it's not a video game at all, it's such a ludicrous statement to make. How can anybody take what they say seriously after making that kind of comment?

Yeah. Apparently the confusion arose as a result of something said by a DS staff member.

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if they backtracked after the backlash from publications and blamed a nameless employee, but regardless of whether their version of events is true or not, DS staff members should not be telling publications things that could possibly lead to publications thinking this.
Actually the weird thing here is that depending on the media outlet they had the review copy some time before the release but some Spasnih outlet just got the copy on Monday. So I know one writer (Shenmue fan but critic with some aspect of the production) that is rushing through the game to have the review next Monday. I think that the move by DS has been stupid, bad reviews were going to surface always, lazy ones too, but if this game needs something is time to get invest into it, not rush and release

Polygon is just trolling at this point. The clunky dialogue has always been part of Shenmue's charm. It's astonishing that 18 years later Ys Net managed to recreate the weird cadance that makes the Shenmue english dub so unique and memorable. It just wouldn't feel like Shenmue if it sounded like a modern game.

Eh, maybe they only played for 15 minutes? Assuming dialogue gets better later? Because I certainly noticed it with the first 5 people I have talked to. And in my opinion is more awkward than in 1 & 2. I'm hoping this improves, because so far it seems at least half of my conversations have had replies that don't seem to match the question. I don't really agree that Shenmue needs clunky dialogue to feel like Shenmue. On the other hand, I don't expect it to ruin the experience either.

Well Giant Bomb just posted their Quick Look.

Dan seems forgiving of it and likes it unironically.

It took Alex all of five minutes to bring up the Yakuza comparison. (I was expecting it from him especially since he was way into Yakuza 0 the most of that team...but still, took all of five minutes for it to come up.)

Abbey seemed curious by what the fuck it even was but admitted she probably wouldn't play it.

Yeah, their quick look went pretty much how I much expected. A lot of laughing at the bad English dub and stilted conversations.

Still really curious to hear Huber's impression...perhaps the one person from the media who I am awaiting impressions from since he gets it.

Does EasyAllies give scores? If so, I expect a nice bump from them. I also expect Famitsu to give it the equivalent of 75 or so. IGN US should also give it 7+. With those three, we might reach like 75 metacritic. Then Giantbomb comes and gives it a 2/10 to ruin our days lol.

Does EasyAllies give scores? If so, I expect a nice bump from them. I also expect Famitsu to give it the equivalent of 75 or so. IGN US should also give it 7+. With those three, we might reach like 75 metacritic. Then Giantbomb comes and gives it a 2/10 to ruin our days lol.

Giant Bomb doesn't review much anyways. So I don't think you'll get a review from Giant Bomb on this. They really only review the big boys and it's pretty occasional they do it. I think the most you'll get is the quick look and maybe a follow up on the Beastcast when Dan inevitably gives up on it and moves on from it, or if he does finish it.

Yes Easy Allies give numbers. I don't know, if IGN Japan gave it a 9 then is it out of the realm of possibility for Huber to give it an 8 or 9 if he does feel it warrant it?

Easy Allies are indeed one of the more forgiving outlets out there anyways.

Last edited:
Back