The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Not sure whether this will show up on Metacritic but it got 4/5 from Stuff:

I personally think it’s a good and pretty fair review.
I thought they did when i looked it up but like, but then I thought it was 2006 for a sec reading their recent reviews
also killer 7 a 0? Nani the fuck.

Wow, ridiculous. I’ve never played Killer 7, but I love No More Heroes so have been meaning to try it out after hearing really good things.
Suda 51's older games before he got screwed over by publishers are incredible and way more thought out than people give him credit, killer 7 is great but if you have the time you need to try out his insanely foreword thinking silver case, its got some of the most poignant commentary on the role the media plays in the idolization of criminals/serial killers.

Thank god suda is finally free of bad publishers again, no more heroes travis strikes again is this super perosnal game where hes basically lamenting the turn his career took and his longlasting regrets over how stuff like shadows of the damned were butchered. I have such high hopes for 3. Also last note on my suda wanking, silver case has one of the most stylish game intros ever

Last edited:
Here's the review score for that 4Players interview! Here's the 83. I wonder if it's the score? It's in a different language so I can't say for sure.IMG_20191121_140021.jpg

Here's the review score for that 4Players interview! Here's the 83. I wonder if it's the score? It's in a different language so I can't say for sure.View attachment 5776

My German is super broken. I learned some in middle school, but yeah that seems to be the score. 83 - Good

I get angry when I read the problem with Shenmue 3 is the old mechanics... Man if you want more of the same, just stay with GTA or Yakuza. The game losing scores because of being original is ridiculous.

I get angry when I read the problem with Shenmue 3 is the old mechanics... Man if you want more of the same, just stay with GTA or Yakuza. The game losing scores because of being original is ridiculous.
I dont think older mechanics can be called original.

Yes they can, when they haven't been used in any modern game, like ever. The ONLY game to employ these specific mechanics that were considered amazing, fresh and new was RDR2 in 2018. When it's Shenmue 3 that does it ( Kickstarter origins ) it's bland, boring and dated, you get the picture, right? Nice double standard going on there with "certain" media, me thinks, as usual:rolleyes:😏

Im not gonna lie, I was expecting worse. But believe me, Im not complaining at all. Its just it seems general interest in the game is low. I havent seen any big streamers stream it at all and it cant be denied that theres not that many reviews so far either. For a game with such a legacy youd think thered be much more, whether loved or hated or mixed.

But yeah, I think 7/10 is a great score for this game.

Let’s not forget that the game came out in the same month as Death Stranding, new Star Wars game, and new Pokemon.

Find me a harder month to release in. :)

But then again, imo it doesn’t need to sell millions or get an 80 average on metacritic to get a sequel.

It's kind of amazing how they can spin something when they like it though.

Gone Home is a basic ass 90's click and point adventure dripping with nostalgia -- Apparently that's a super important game of this generation that we should all praise. According to Polygon.

Shenmue III literally has elements much the same reflecting a click and point adventure game (among other elements.) And it's a game that relishes in a certain amount of 80's nostalgia (Shenmue always has had a nostalgic tint to it) -- Barely a game according to Polygon.

It is funny to me how certain things can be spun while others that are similar can be dogged on.

Let’s not forget that the game came out in the same month as Death Stranding, new Star Wars game, and new Pokemon.

Find me a harder month to release in. :)

But then again, imo it doesn’t need to sell millions or get an 80 average on metacritic to get a sequel.

Could have been worse too...could have been Doom Eternal around the same time until it got delayed.

I maintain that if Deadly Premonition can get a sequel that no one expected, then Shenmue IV has just as much chance as any of becoming a reality...so long as it doesn't tank and does decently enough....even if it is on a similar shoestring budget.

Back