Update #89: Gamescom 2018 Update #1

HA!!

This is exactly what I said would probably happen. I said earlier in the week that Yu not being there didnt mean he couldnt stream a video from HQ.

We were all pessimistic, but I knew deep down they couldn't be so foolish to show or say nothing amidst S1 and 2, a Slacker Backer extension, etc.

I doubt it'll be a release date. We would all be shocked considering how little we have seen. I think it'll still be the 2019 window.

As far as SEGA becoming involved, it is a stretch. But money talks..and Shenmue is getting them a fair bit of it at the moment along with the positive reactions from new fans dabbling in the old.

They could throw some funding or allow any AM2 members who aren't with the project to assist with the game. I don't see any of this, just speculation.

But NONE of you have mentioned what would truly break this site--what if it isn't just information or a trailer..what if the demo hits for folks to play alongside S1 and 2?

Last edited:
Not to crash the party a little bit, but guys, the update said "announcement", and not "trailer".

Just to keep a foot or both on the ground, in case we get a video update of some kind from Yu-san, which could very well be what the image is implying. Hence the "now editing" comment...

This is how people get upset over the most trivial things, and if we get a video of Yu-san talking to the camera and does announce something as amazing as a release date, but no trailer, then people get upset because there was no trailer and forget about the good news a release date would be.

Always keep the expectations in check people.

I thought so too until I looked at the images in the background. I assume the 'now editing' is referencing what looks like a trailer on the monitor screen... I agree though, we should absolutely manage our expectations and not get ourselves too hyped up. Who knows what the announcement is, we have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Right, but it could be snippits of footage mixed in with a Yu Suzuki announcement video, and not a cinematic style trailer.

Larger image stolen from Phantom River Stone (Thanks Switch!) You can definitely make out the word Pause on screen so it's almost certainly from a trailer.

Attachments

• vZEwRm5.jpg
    vZEwRm5.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 102
Not to crash the party a little bit, but guys, the update said "announcement", and not "trailer".

Just to keep a foot or both on the ground, in case we get a video update of some kind from Yu-san, which could very well be what the image is implying. Hence the "now editing" comment...

This is how people get upset over the most trivial things, and if we get a video of Yu-san talking to the camera and does announce something as amazing as a release date, but no trailer, then people get upset because there was no trailer and forget about the good news a release date would be.

Always keep the expectations in check people.
100% Confirmed it is a trailer of some sort.

"Yu Suzuki will not be in attendance, but we have put a video together for the announcement that we are currently putting the final touches to. So, please hold on until Tuesday!"

Trust me on this one.....

100% Confirmed it is a trailer of some sort.

"Yu Suzuki will not be in attendance, but we have put a video together for the announcement that we are currently putting the final touches to. So, please hold on until Tuesday!"

Trust me on this one.....

It could be a video of Yu Suzuki talking about the game... The special announcement might be something along the lines of *we have worked with Sega and confirm Shenmue 2 save data will transfer to Shenmue 3 or some such thing.*

It's intriguing that they say "announcement ". what could it be?! A release date? Sega jumping in in the development? A new feature in the game? Old voicecast returning? It coul be anything at this point. Even the Demo announcemnet!

Last edited:
Amazing! The best thing is the Livestream! I don't need to drive to that Event, but i would when i could. ;-) I looking forward to the video tomorrow. :-)

Right, but it could be snippits of footage mixed in with a Yu Suzuki announcement video, and not a cinematic style trailer.
Indeed which I'd be just as excited for personally as we'd get to discover more about the game+progress made from Suzuki-san. It should be up to date footage and (I believe) one of the first videos likely to be overseen by deepsilver too. Looking forward to it!

And Shenmue 4 tomorrow :p

Haha!
Then SEGA realise that Yu has turned into Lan Di since he’s effectively killed the competition by having Shenmue 3 and 4 vs SEGA’s 1 and 2 re-release.

Or maybe the announcement is that the dude who was high wearing the gloves from Awesome Japan is taking over as the Director of the game, then he walks on stage drinking a coke going “ahhh good!” as the entire fan base boo.?

I don't expect a trailer at all, but i would like to finally see at least some image of the final-ish game. Anyway i hope is going to be some nice announcement.

It could be a video of Yu Suzuki talking about the game... The special announcement might be something along the lines of *we have worked with Sega and confirm Shenmue 2 save data will transfer to Shenmue 3 or some such thing.*

It's intriguing that they say "announcement ". what could it be?! A release date? Sega jumping in in the development? A new feature in the game? Old voicecast returning? It coul be anything at this point. Even the Demo announcemnet!

i dont think it has anything to do with Sega at all. Sega didnt repost or retweed any Shenmue 3 stuff,
its always done by Deep Silver and Sega already told us like 5 times that they are not involved with Shenmue 3
and that they cant answer any questions or requests because its not their project.
so i doubt that they would work on the save file thing, its not Segas "problem" because its not their game.
i think people have to really remember that.

Please just make the faces emote. I'm not worried about anything else, I just need to be reassured that the faces are okay.
A valid concern. I think it's something they've taken on board after the reaction to the last teaser and the sunsequent update video.

Regardless though, I think they'll be fine in the final game. But it would definitely be nice to see in this potential trailer for some good publicity.

If they do show a tráiler I want to hear new music. I cant wait for tomorrow to see Yu Suzuki talk about Shenmue 3.

i dont think it has anything to do with Sega at all. Sega didnt repost or retweed any Shenmue 3 stuff,
its always done by Deep Silver and Sega already told us like 5 times that they are not involved with Shenmue 3
and that they cant answer any questions or requests because its not their project.
so i doubt that they would work on the save file thing, its not Segas "problem" because its not their game.
i think people have to really remember that.

Sega doesn't have to be 'involved' to pass on the technical details of the save file system they have used. Then Yu's team can do all the work of interpretation and integration into Shenmue 3.

Although I was just using that as an example of how the video could mainly be some lip flapping about 'details' rather than an actual trailer.

Got it. We might have a trailer. We might not. But whats most important is that we will likely be getting the release date. Thats a pretty big deal.
Hyped.

Back