Update #89: Gamescom 2018 Update #1

The new teaser is awesome. Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di really looks great. Also the environment is beautiful.

I also have to say that the new voice actress of Shenhua sounds good. I was a bit worried first, when I heard that they changed the voice actors, but Ishigaki Hazuki seems to do great job.

I am enjoying the art style, it has grown on me a lot. The environments in particular look wonderful, especially the night time setting and lighting. Makes me want to go in and get lost in its streets.

I loved this trailer. The world feels lived in.

This sums it up.

As far as trailers go it was perfect for me. The soundtrack and foley at the beginning really draw you in, exciting and at the same time uneasy, it had 80's Kung Fu movie vibes.

I still dont get why its so hard to make Ryo look similar to the older games. Lan Di looks good so whats up with Ryo?
I think that part of it is because the Dreamcast games had a very distinctive art style. Something that can't easily be replicated now with the Unreal Engine. So I think it's understandable that Ryo won't look 100% the way he did in the original games.

What bugs me is the apparent gaps in the animation. Little things like eye movement and subtle body language are still missing. It's these gaps which push the character models in Shenmue 3 closer to the 'uncanny valley' visually. I hope this is will be further addressed in the year that's left before launch.

@Kintor what games have eye movement and body language? I must admit I am not that much into modern games, so I maybe I missed some which have these subtle details that make people look like alive. I came never across that details in modern games. I also checked out some AAA titles not all but some. And the only the ray tracing demos look impressive to me concerning body language and facical animations. But there are not games out yet which such technology.

To me Shenmue 3 looks l solid. Solid Current Gen Standard. Not the best out there but still beautiful in its own way.

@Kintor what games have eye movement and body language? I must admit I am not that much into modern games, so I maybe I missed some which have these subtle details that make people look like alive. I came never across that details in modern games. I also checked out some AAA titles not all but some. And the only the ray tracing demos look impressive to me concerning body language and facical animations. But there are not games out yet which such technology.
It's true that a lot of games are absolutely shocking when it comes to character animation. With Mass Effect Andromeda being the most infamous recent example. However, certain games like L.A. Noire and Quantum Break make extensive use of motion capture and look really great when it comes to character interaction. I'm not expecting Shenmue 3 to look like Quantum Break but a bit more facial expression would help alleviate that uncanny valley vibe.

I've seen the trailer like 8 times in a row, really.

I love the music its so beautifull
The environments and that scene with Lan Di... chills all over the place.

Can't wait to play it next year.

I tried to post on my dinner break but the site crashed, managed to watch it live in work. Wow...I still can’t believe what I’m seeing. Shenmue III, wow....I never thought I would see this day.

I also have to say that the new voice actress of Shenhua sounds good. I was a bit worried first, when I heard that they changed the voice actors, but Ishigaki Hazuki seems to do great job.
I agree, I think Shenhua sounds just as she should!
You mean Haruka Terui, right? :)

What bugs me is the apparent gaps in the animation. Little things like eye movement and subtle body language are still missing. It's these gaps which push the character models in Shenmue 3 closer to the 'uncanny valley' visually. I hope this is will be further addressed in the year that's left before launch.

I find solace in the fact that it's going to come out in August of next year. It gives me confidence that all of these minor issues people like you have pointed out should be mitigated or eliminated by then.

Also, people shouldn't expect less of Mr. Suzuki & his team. Many of these people have had experience working in harder technological conditions than what exists today. Do not underestimate them by any means.

i like the art style, the atmosphere and the setting. i also like the look of Ryo.
he doesnt look exactly like the old Ryo but i think he looks more sympathetic. i really really like the Ryo model
in 1 & 2 but he doesnt look sympathetic to me in the old games.
Shenhua looks a bit ... generic maybe? it feels like something is missing to make her stand out.

the technical side is still rough. framerate is all over the place, the lighting looks cheap on the characters
and its still missing all the small face and body details like winking eyes, small wrinkles, changing eyebrows and so.

but those are all things than can be fixed so i'm not really worried.
it doesnt look super ultra awesome like i hoped for but it also doesnt look super terrible bad. lets wait.

However, certain games like L.A. Noire and Quantum Break make extensive use of motion capture and look really great when it comes to character interaction.

L.A. Noire had a unique system that essentially applied live action footage of actors' faces, shot from dozens of cameras simultaneously, to 3D models. However, as realistic as the faces were, they were connected to stiff, robotic bodies. The result was utterly weird.

La Noire looked fantastic at first glance then you start to notice that the faces are barely modelled and what you are seeing is an animated gif overlapping the face I really dislike that approach

The new trailer is awesome. Of course, technical problems and strange character design are still here, but suddenly all of this does not matter anymore. The atmosphere, the music, and the story are all here. It's Shenmue, ladies and gentlemen, and it's back.

What happened to this Ryo? His face looks so much better in this than the new trailer...

Attachments

• they look better.jpg
    they look better.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 16
Back