Updated Chi You Men Leaders Photo

Edit: or not. Looking at the two remaining silhouettes, both appear to have hair which would suggest that the bald guy isn’t one of the four leaders.
I think he's potentially just the Shaolin Abbot, but the one with long hair certainly seems like he would be the third CYM leader, given the white clothes.

I know that in the past Yu has stated that neither Baihu nor Zimming were CYM leaders, but it seems a little strange that the Chinese word for White Tiger is Baihu and the ‘human’ name given to the Black Tortoise is Zhi Ming, right?
Baihu in Shenmue 2 was part of the play on the four gate guardians, specifically within Kowloon. I don't remember exactly which were which, but the fight locations for the first three fights were named after Genbu (tortoise), Suzaku (phoenix), and Seiryuu (dragon). I think they might have also basically faced their respective fountain in the facades of the Yellow Head building.

I think he's potentially just the Shaolin Abbot, but the one with long hair certainly seems like he would be the third CYM leader, given the white clothes.

Baihu in Shenmue 2 was part of the play on the four gate guardians, specifically within Kowloon. I don't remember exactly which were which, but the fight locations for the first three fights were named after Genbu (tortoise), Suzaku (phoenix), and Seiryuu (dragon). I think they might have also basically faced their respective fountain in the facades of the Yellow Head building.
I really hadn’t paid these type of thing too much mind until fairly recently, but that would certainly make sense.

It’s certainly a reoccurring theme we’re seeing throughout the series (the 4 leaders, the 4 street fighters and the 4 keys needed to find Zhu Yuanda).
He passes for Xiuying's brother and maybe too young to be a leader.
Maybe, but Lan Di is only 31 and he is a Leader. Zimming should be somewhere around that age too (Xiuying is 26 and Zimming is the older sibling).

It’s certainly a reoccurring theme we’re seeing throughout the series (the 4 leaders, the 4 street fighters and the 4 keys needed to find Zhu Yuanda)

In addition based on this post there were supposed to be 4 Grandmasters represented by this title card-

XL8XxF4.jpeg

Since then, fans brought up theories about who those characters could be. Could you tell us if they are right or wrong?

Yu Suzuki : I cannot say too much about this artwork because this is quite far from where Shenmue II stopped. All I can say is that those characters are not Chiyoumen, they are Grand Masters.

After @Vivi-gamer comment I noticed the panel but like you said both remaining members have hair. The one on the far left appears in another panel I took a screenshot of so it’s likely he is one of the members but the Monk and his clan are maybe just part of that chapter.

View attachment 8638

They have a different hairstyle and colour. He looks more like this irrelevant guy in Shenmue 3, considering Yanlang is in this card too.

Attachments

• 235235.1575307253.jpg
    235235.1575307253.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
And that card with Yanlang and Yuanda Zhu in the middle is the 4th if I recall correctly. It's before the Guilin one with Shenhua indeed. So it seems a bit early to include so many CYM leaders.

One thing too if we are to go by visual representation of their positions, it is interesting that niao sun is on her own side since she kinda goes against the chi you men structure in 3.

phew. just took my crazy meds.
calm now.
Nathan your comment above sparks some real interest bud. Man I really fucking hope one day we can have the answers to these questions...

I posted this in the Documentary thread but thought people here would be interested too:
shendoc-2.JPG
SHEN-DOC3.JPG

I think it is highly likely these are the CYM, especially considering the placement of the panel - it seems one of the more action packed ones too. Just remember that the characters themselves could look very different much like Niao Sun when she made her appearance in Shenmue III.

Still, brilliant artworks! One day I'd love to have them in an A4 Artbook.

First Krillin, now Gouken? This is a crossover bonanza!

Haha, Gouken. That dude was so annoying in SF4. The last leader looks like Edward Scissor Hands

It has been confirmed that Ziming is not one of the four leaders. However...I believe we have seen one of them before:
View attachment 8647
View attachment 8644View attachment 8646View attachment 8645

That is an absolutely amazing find. I would have never guessed a monk who appears to have a ton of students at his temple would be evil. That or he ends up being good after you battle him. I'd rather him stay as a bad guy though.

Here's my speculation on these images

First, this card interests me.

vyYOuVm.png

After reading all of your comments, I think this represents Shenmue 3 entirely. There are some odd occurrences such as the man in the middle appears to be Yuanda Zhu. No idea who the children are though. Suzuki does mix the chapters together, so we may see them in Shenmue 4. But when you break this card down from the perspective of Shenmue 3, you get this

n1GaHmF.png

Another interesting observation is the following card. I've said this previously on the old dojo, but i believe these shadow figures on the mountains are Chiyou Men. The guy overseeing all 4 of them is Tentei

CHFYUZg.png

Interestingly, if you zoom in on the shadow figure at the top, you can see he's holding a staff, similar to the monk picture Nathan posted

vG6DroE.png

All speculation, but those are my thoughts

Actually, in the same interview where Yu claims that Ziming is not a leader, he says the files on the mountain are specifically not Chiyoumen, but rather grandmasters.

Actually, in the same interview where Yu claims that Ziming is not a leader, he says the files on the mountain are specifically not Chiyoumen, but rather grandmasters.
Still not sure I believe that Ziming isn’t (or at least wasn’t at some point intended to be) one of the four leaders.

It has been confirmed that Ziming is not one of the four leaders. However...I believe we have seen one of them before:
View attachment 8647
View attachment 8644View attachment 8646View attachment 8645
The facial hair doesn't match, though. That one has a full beard, while the one in the chapter card illustration just has a long mustache ("fu manchu"). Seems like his beard is intended to be grey, as well. Also, his prayer beads are much larger.

I really think, given the Shaolin Temple connections, he's the abbot of the temple (whether or not it's actually called the Shaolin Temple, in the game--which I imagine it won't be). He's dressed just like an abbot of the Shaolin temple:

index.php

chinese-kungfu-star-tv-contest-held-at-shaolin-temple.jpg
'
If you look closely, you can see that he even has the loop tying together his red sash.

Supposedly those are actually the Bajiquan Grand Masters, which would make sense, considering the location. Perhaps that monk character is one of the bajiquan grand masters, though.

index.php

Also, neither of the other two CYM leaders appear to be bald. It looks to me as though the man dressed in white might fit the silhouette on the left. Which suggests to me that the northern boss is the one on the right.

Personally I don't think Tentei in the real baddie, the self-destruction, 'Chi You' or 'dark clouds/evil path' a metaphor, I think that's the true villain and none of CYM know what they're messing with.

Personally I don't think Tentei in the real baddie, the self-destruction, 'Chi You' or 'dark clouds/evil path' a metaphor, I think that's the true villain and none of CYM know what they're messing with.
I’m starting to wonder whether the prophecy is a metaphor for the destruction that will be caused by the impending war between Lan Di (the dragon) and Niao Sun (the Phoenix). Chiyou is the god of war in Chinese mythology so the prophecy could be suggesting that Niao-Sun rising up will bring death and destruction to China.

That said, Shenhua could just as easily be the Phoenix and the power within her could be the spirit of Chiyou.

This power seems to enable her to live for a long time (possible eternally) without aging and so it would make sense for Tentei/Zhu to covet this power now that he’s starting to get on a bit.

Back