Virtua Fighter x Esports just announced at TGS 2020

I am just happy SEGA is recognizing the franchise again. If this just means a straight-up port then so be it. As long as the fighting system remains deep and balanced, as long as AM2 respectfully depicts martial arts, I couldn't care less about graphics or other gimmicks like guest characters. If anything, that's the one thing I respect most about Virtua Fighter its purity as a fighting game.

Granted the characters have silly DLC skins and victory poses, however, the core of the series has always been about what matters most in a video game; the gameplay. Also, I have to disagree with @danielmann861 about the netcode. The netcode for Final Showdown is honestly some of the best I have seen. All AM2 has to do is just bring that same level of polish to the current generation of consoles/PC.

While I am excited for Virtua Fighter to get some attention, call me cynical, but I think the series will once again be ignored in favor of other fighters like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter. I mean, it's not even on the EVO roster this year. Once again, I think this franchise does not get the justice it deserves. In some ways, this makes me feel sorry for Yu Suzuki as his incredible genius gets constantly ignored or unappreciated.
Is it delay based? I don't know, with the advancements of netcode, surely they could make it even better at least? I didn't say it was bad I'd just like to see them work on it a bit more. The few times I played online on PS3 it seemed okay but still anything could be better in the years of advancement made between then? I mean, I assume VF5 is still using delay based netcode? They could always update it to Rollback?

Honestly, I just want it on a new platform so the online might get a little more populated...the last time I tried playing on my PS3, I was waiting about 30 minutes in between finding matches. So to get it on a new platform might help repopulate it a little.

I know this might sound sacrilige, but I kinda struggle with Virtua Fighter 3 onwards. They are all fantastic games, but somehow they don't feel as "crisp" as Virtua Fighter 1 or 2 if that makes sense? 3 and 4 kinda feel smudgy and blurry in comparison. It feels kinda odd that the first two games have aged beautifully.

That said, VF3 in 1996 truly felt like the future!

I'm in the same boat, BCD; I'm not bad at VF3 at all (thanks to FMM), but I'm not as adept as I am at 1 and 2 (and people can fight circles around me in those games anyways lol) and after that, good luck.

I only did halfway-decent in VF5 on the RGG titles, simply because Wolf's moves have basically not changed lol.

I'm so boring and tend to play as Kage everytime...only because I can still remember his VF3 moveset. I can barely remember how to cook dinner, but "left G+K & up G+K" is imprinted into my memory...~!

Back in the day, I was good at all the characters, but that was when I didn't have so many distractions haha!

If this does come to Steam then what's to stop someone modding in a Ryo skin btw? ;) I mean, you could give Ryo Akira's move set and be perfectly fine with a Ryo skin...Most of Ryo's moveset is Akira's as is.

God, now I really hope this comes to Steam whenever it drops....think of the mod possibilities.

Ex9DFLqUYAIJcu1

Looks like it really is VF5. Well, if we want more VF we'd all better buy it!

All those character renders are new though. Sarah :love:

EzftFVfWEAMsgsi

Are they new?

That Akira looks pretty similar to the one already in VF5 to me.

vf5.0.jpeg

At this point...I guess I'm fine even if turns out to be a straight port of VF5 with nothing majorly new to it. I just want new Virtua Fighter of any type at this point.

All I ask is bring it to Steam as well and we're good.

I suppose this is gonna drop sooner than later by the looks of it with very little hype before hand. Will they go free to play? Or will it be a packaged deal at a budget price?

But a part of me still really wants VF6....hopefully that's what this all leads to...someday. I just want to see what Virtua Fighter 6 would look like on modern hardware. I mean, VF5 is still a really nice looking game in many regards and I think it's a testament to SEGA and just how good they could make games look...so I really want to see a VF6 on modern hardware at some point using that hardware to full advantage.

Ex9DFLqUYAIJcu1

Looks like it really is VF5. Well, if we want more VF we'd all better buy it!
You can count on me. I would purchase it for sure. VF5 is missing in my collection. Only have VF Remix and 2 for the Saturn, VF 3 for the DC and VF 4 as download for the ps3. I need to complete my VF collection.

I would also be interested in total new Entry of the series as well.

It looks like it's listed for release on PS4 in Japan (thanks to @James Brown for the link!)
Hopefully we'll see a Western release not long after.

I'm not keen on Esports titles but if supporting this will possibly bring us a step closer to a VF6 then I'm in.

I'm hoping/guessing the Esports component is just that players are ranked online, but there are plenty of local modes as well.

Quick and dirty comparison of this artwork vs VF5 model. Just compare the ears and you can see the new artwork is far more rounded with a higher polygon count.
The beard is fuller too.

I mean certainly not gonna complain if they did some work to it. Hopefully they've gone back and improved the lighting. Not that the lighting was bad, but new techniques since VF5 FS could see further improvement.

I imagine the game will probably render at 4K or 4K checkerboard? I mean, I would have to imagine they'd bump up the resolution given the age of it. I am keen to see it in motion now.

The big questions for me are:

1.) How much work did they do on it graphically?

2.) Did they tweak the fighting engine further or is it Final Showdown left untouched?

3.) Will it have a decent single player component? That was my one disappointment with Final Showdown over vanilla VF5. Vanilla VF5 had a better single player component where as Final Showdown on PS3 and Xbox 360 felt like they were trying to go for online 1 on 1 more so than anything else.

4.) Will they have tweaked the netcode from the ground up? If they're going for the Esports moniker then surely they had to have looked at the netcode and refined it further? (roll back?)

My predictions:

1.) Yes; it will probably get a resolution bump, looks to have gotten work on character models and will probably have some new lighting accompanying it.

2.) No. I don't see them touching the fighting engine unless they add new people. Which doesn't look to be the case from that artwork. If they maintain it with new DLC down the road or "Seasons" then yeah, I could see them refining the fighting engine. But I have a feeling it will mostly be left untouched.

3.) Maybe? Depends on whether they go free to play or not?

4.) I hope but doubt it. Not that the netcode in VF5 is entirely terrible, but times have moved on and it would be nice to see further improvements to the netcode. Especially if you're trying to target this as "Esports."

Back