What are you playing?

I'm currently replaying Shenmue II, but at the same time I'm also finally getting around to playing Total War: Attila.
Big fan of the Total War series and Attila is a particularly strong entry so far. I love the features they've added in since Rome 2 (family tree, horde factions etc) and I really like the improved diplomacy system. It does seem a little too complex for it's own good sometimes, with things like climate change and fertility feeling like they'll take a while to get my head around, but so far I'm really enjoying my campaign as Visigoths as I trample the countryside liberating towns from Eastern Roman Empire and sacking big cities while running like a coward from their armies.

Once I finish Shenmue II i also plan to revisit Witcher 3. Been replaying 1 & 2 since Xmas LAST YEAR, I wish I had more time for games. Wonderful series, and so far Witcher 3 seems really strong.

I am about to finish Shenmue 2 for the PS4 for the first time, and also started with Horizon Zero Down. It is really beautiful game but sometimes hard to enjoy, because my Standard PS4 seems to have some Problems with the game because the fan of the console is sometimes in full power.

Just completed a huge Resident Evil binge. Previously, I had only been a fan of RE4, RE5 and Remake having not played any of the others. With that gorgeous RE2 Remake on the horizon, I decided to fix that.

Here's my initial impressions (not so much a review):

- RE 1 (Saturn): Those hunters really test my patience!
- RE Remake (PS4): Outstanding. The textbook example of how remakes of old classics should be handled.
- RE 0 (PS4): Found it a bit forgettable but it had some interesting new features.
- RE 2 (Dreamcast): 'Action started with RE4'. Wait, what!? You mow down zombies with a freaking lightning gun in this game!
- RE 3 (Dreamcast): Great atmosphere, cannot wait for a remake. And yeah, tonnes more action than I expected for classic RE.
- RE 4 (PS4): A bloody great game!
- RE 5 (PS4): Not as amazing as RE4, but still great addictive fun.
- RE 6 (PS4): All over the place. I literally could not care less.
- RE 7 (PS4): Honestly, I found it a bit mediocre. Ethan should just leave Mia behind and go join Grindr.

Just completed a huge Resident Evil binge. Previously, I had only been a fan of RE4, RE5 and Remake having not played any of the others. With that gorgeous RE2 Remake on the horizon, I decided to fix that.

Here's my initial impressions (not so much a review):

- RE Remake (PS4): Outstanding. The textbook example of how remakes of old classics should be handled.
- RE 7 (PS4): Honestly, I found it a bit mediocre. Ethan should just leave Mia behind and go join Grindr.

I agreed with most of what you said but wanted to chime in here with my thoughts.

I thought RE1 Remake was a great game for what it was. It vastly updated the original game's graphics and sound while retaining the core gameplay. This caused a problem for me when I went to play it again recently. I just couldn't get past the poor controls, the item boxes and backtracking. Classic RE is just not my cup of tea anymore and it hasn't aged too well in my opinion.

On the other hand, I thought RE7 was an amazing horror experience. Sure, you still had item boxes but you could carry a good amount of items in your inventory without having to backtrack too often. Plus, fighting the Baker family was just nuts (in a good way) and the graphics are top notch.

I agreed with most of what you said but wanted to chime in here with my thoughts.

I thought RE1 Remake was a great game for what it was. It vastly updated the original game's graphics and sound while retaining the core gameplay. This caused a problem for me when I went to play it again recently. I just couldn't get past the poor controls, the item boxes and backtracking. Classic RE is just not my cup of tea anymore and it hasn't aged too well in my opinion.

On the other hand, I thought RE7 was an amazing horror experience. Sure, you still had item boxes but you could carry a good amount of items in your inventory without having to backtrack too often. Plus, fighting the Baker family was just nuts (in a good way) and the graphics are top notch.

I definitely agree. I consider myself more a fan of modern Resident Evil. Much prefer the faster pace, over-the-shoulder style gameplay.

RE7 just didn't do it for me for whatever reason. I felt it tried to ride the P.T./Silent Hills hype and in doing so switched up its tone which put me off a little. I love the cheesiness of prior RE games e.g. punching volcano boulders, cartwheeling through laser rooms and blowing up zombies with rocket launchers. The B-Action Movie feel just really works for me and I think its absence put me off a little. But who knows? Maybe I'll give it another go at a later date as opinions change and all.

i love the older resident evil games but i didnt bother with re7.

i think the resident evil 2 remake looks good but if it was up to me, all RE game would have fixed camera angles and pre-rendered graphics. re2 and re3 were awesome.

what did you think of mgsV?
I can spend like two hours writing stuff but it will be hard in English.

I'll just say it in a few words: great gameplay, bullshit story (I knew this obviouslly) and shitty character's desing.

But still the best metal gear's gameplay.

Last edited:
Reactions: red
Although I am more a fan of the old School Resident Evils, These type of games won't work anymore today. The just feel outdated. Just Play RE Remake and then Play a modern game. Then you will feel how obsolete These games are. The controlls are clunky and does not work as intuitiv as the controlls of modern games do. I still like Resident Evil Remake a lot but it just feels old School. Never though I would feel that way. But by coninsidence I just played Re Remake for about 30 minutes, and then wanted to play The Last of US a bit. And then I realised how outdated the Remake really is. Even as hardcore old School RE Fan I have to admit that.

These controls and the camera are also not the main Features what RE is about. RE is about survival against powerful emenies with limited resources. These concept was killed, with the horrible RE 4, the game that killed the Franchise for me. Only Re 7 brought it back to live.

Re 2 also Looks great to me. It Looks familar and new at the same time. Will be worthy Remake of part 2 for sure.

It also important to release that the pre rendered back grounds and the Camera were not invited to make Resident Evil Resident Evil. They were used because they were the only way to make the game working. Playstation 1 and other contemporary hardware were just not powerful enough to go completly in 3d.

I personally found RE7 to be immensely refreshing and a great step in a new direction for the series. I was very skeptical at 1st as of course it was a very different approach to the series. Honestly, me and 1st person games don't have a good track record either, many games prior don't have a dedicated budget for the perspective - I hate looking down in 1st person games and not seeing any feet (I know that could be considered petty but it really breaks the immersion for me, but games have gotten much better at showing their avatar in 1st person). But what really impressed me with RE7 is how they handled Ethan, he wasn't a generic silent protagonist (Which is something else I cannot stand in any game, sorry Link...) nor was he overbearing and annoying he gave enough minimal interaction with the characters/events he was involved with to make his presence feel involved and I loved it. I also loved the feel and atmosphere of the game with the Baker House being the primary focus. I also liked the focus on the Bakers as an antagonist force that stuck throughout the game.

RE5 & RE6 made for fantastic Co-op experience (Still IMO the best around for Multi-player campaigns) but like many I felt they're far to action heavy for RE games. The good thing about the upcoming RE2 is that it has took the appealing control scheme of the recent titles but have bought back the suspense and atmosphere the later games lacked. It's interesting that they didn't decide to go the 1st person route with this too - I reckon fans of the original would have backlashed too much. But after this we will have 2 very solid modern RE entries which are very different from one another and it makes me wonder what route they will continue down in Resident Evil 8.

But Capcom has done a wonderful job at preserving the series, I have a stack of RE games now on PS4 and it has made the series so much more enjoyable, to the point where it with RE7, RE2REmake (Hopeful) & these wonderful ports it has resurfaced as one of my favourites series again:
r01.png
After all that though, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis is still my favourite - Which I am confident will get a REmake after 2s success!

Sad to say that im completely missed Silent Hill series, now catching up through Silent Hill 2 and its just as good as all good reviews.

I LOVED a lot of Resident Evil 7. Started beautifully, but towards the end I started losing interest in the story. Honestly, it didn't feel very "Resident Evil" to me, but I loved it for what it was.

I agree with what's been said above about the old-style Resident Evil games. The remake will always be my jam, and one of my favorite games of all time, but I think that's only because it felt familiar to me. I didn't like Resident Evil 0, despite the fact that the gameplay mechanics are essentially the same (aside from the obvious changes). I guess the story wasn't enough for me to deal with the gameplay itself. That being said, I would play the HELL out of a Resident Evil 2 remake if done like the original remake.

I recently completed a two-week session with the Max Payne series. I forgot how dismal 1 and 2 are (most importantly, in their outdated control schemes: we have been spoiled!), but 3 is truly a rewarding experience. Though I don't like that Rockstar took the series' linearity into GTA IV/V and RDR, it certainly works here. I don't know why I find the bullet time so entertaining, but I can't help it. That said, the film noir shtick grows very tired.

Also, if we take Rockstar at their word in claiming that Shenmue influenced their approach to 3D, they adapt the rotten buildings of Kowloon quite nicely to both NYC and Brazil.

Last edited:
I recently completed a two-week session with the Max Payne series. I forgot how dismal 1 and 2 are (most importantly, in their outdated control schemes: we have been spoiled!), but 3 is truly a rewarding experience. Though I don't like that Rockstar took the series' linearity into GTA IV/V and RDR, it certainly works here. I don't know why I find the bullet time so entertaining, but I can't help it. That said, the film noir shtick grows very tired.

Also, if we take Rockstar at their word in claiming that Shenmue influenced their approach to 3D, they adapt the rotten buildings of Kowloon quite nicely to both NYC and Brazil.
Wow, I'm surprised to hear you say that, as I thought 1 & 2 were brilliant shooters, probably liked them even better than 3. That's not too say I didn't like 3, but I preferred the pace and action of the first two without cover or regenerating health etc.

As for the RE discussion, I really want to Replay them all as well, I'm a fan of both classic and new RE. I don't think the old games have aged at all, they're just very different in their design.

RDR2 I've been playing like 5 hours... Which something like 2 of them (or more), have been running in a horse.
The controls are all over the place, the shooting is pretty meh, the emphasis on realism I think hinders somewhat the gameplay.
There have been some cool moments, but man, I just put cinematic camera and drift to the computer, can't say I'm enjoying it THAT much.

Assassin’s Creed III. There are quite a few bugs, but nothing massively game-breaking. It’s taken a while to get used to how different it is, but I’m defo enjoying it (the opening in particular was brilliant I thought!)

Only problem is I’m struggling to get past Sequence 6 coz I keep bullying the NPC by the docks at draughts. I hope there’s an expert level AI later in the game.

I LOVED a lot of Resident Evil 7. Started beautifully, but towards the end I started losing interest in the story.

RE7 definitely started to lose it toward the end, but Not a Hero and End of Zoe really helped fix that. They don't quite reach the heights of the early game, but they're much better than the last third of the base game, and really end things on a more satisfying note in terms of boss fights, gameplay, and story. I'd definitely recommend both of those DLCs to anyone who hasn't given them a go yet.

End of Zoe was really fun, and something about beating up monsters with your fists rather than blasting them with guns is just badass for me. I never finished Not a Hero because I am, admittedly, a bitch when it comes to survival horror games despite my love for them.

Replaying Peace Walker; still playing Yakuza 5 slow as molasses (don't hate music gameplay, but it isn't my favorite or best), so Haruka's chapter has been a drag for well over a year; giving MGS5 another shot... Always Dreamcasting--going for all emblems in both Sonic Adventures and Phantasy Star Online grinding. Mix in with fresh files for Ooga Booga and Toy Commander occasionally.

Back