What are you playing?

20201103233950_1.jpg

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

FINALLY MADE IT TO THE RED RANKS WITH XIAOYU ONLINE! Sure, it's not Tekken God but for me this is a bloody accomplishment! I always said I'd be happy if I could make it to Red Ranks online. Mission accomplished.

Half way to Tekken God and more to learn :)

Last edited:
I do not usually do rhythm games, (PaRappa the Rapper is the exception. ^^! ) but I tried it at a local arcade that has unlimited play after you buy the initial get through the door cost. I have to say, although I can not see playing beyond the few songs I like, or so I have discovered so far, it is pretty fun. To me though, the higher you get it becomes less physical and more mental, as there is simply no way if you have not memorized the song and the movements, that you are going to get anywhere. The first video is a prime example where 90% of notes are hit before they even have a chance to get on the screen. In fact he supposedly does this blind folded and there is a video on that as well and still does decently. o_0 Regardless if you see these big machines out on the arcade floor, do not be intimidated. But I do suggest trying it at medium to hard and avoid the higher difficulties until you are comfortable with it. ^^! You get three to four songs per credit and they have an exhaustive song collection.

So I went through No More Heroes on Switch. I can’t recall how many years ago I last played it but it felt as natural as getting back on a bike for the most part...almost literally with the motorcycle. :p The most confusing part I guess was getting details between both the Wii and PS3 versions confused, mostly to do with differences in Santa Destroy as well as some textures here and there.

For the most part, it seems like it’s pretty close to the original, which is a good thing. I don’t know that it’s better like some are saying, but it’s not a bad port. Just hope some things are eventually fixed. Unfortunately the song ‘Heavenly Star’ by Genki Rockets that used to play inside some of the shops can’t be used due to legal issues, but that’s understandable. Thing is, an original track that was used in the K-entertainment building seems to have been inexplicably replaced with mini game music, and no one seems to know why.

Tried going with no motion controls, which is a plus for those who like to play without. In the PS3 version, you’d have to click in either of the sticks before doing any motions for kills or wrestling moves, so this version is already better for cutting that unnecessary step out and keeping the flow of the original intact. They work fine, but for me a big part of the fun is feeling immersed and powerful when doing these things, so I went back to that pretty quickly.

Sadly not everything with the motion controls seems to be exactly the same. You’d think they’d be better, but for whatever reason they don’t seem nearly as responsive. Granted, I do recall sometimes having issues with a few things in the original as well. For one, there’s one lovikov move that activates after shaking the nunchuck, or in this case the left Joy-Con. I had problems before but I never got it to work this time around. Jumping with the motorcycle didn’t come out half the time so thankfully it’s mapped to ZR regardless. In the original, you could make sharp turns and do donuts when boosting by turning the Wiimote like a key in either direction - here it seems the only way to do that is by pressing B instead even with motion controls on. Weirdly the one thing that seems a little more responsive is picking up trash or scorpions in the mini games - but then I noticed another sound bug when picking up the trash produced the same sound as the scorpions lol.

Speaking of bugs, most of the main game seems fine, nothing game breaking, just minor clipping issues in an early scene with the first boss. Maybe I just never ran into some that were there before but I noticed in this one that the cars can really wonk out if you mess around with them, whether it’s clipping nose first into the ground or driving through buildings or the wrong way through intersections, but that’s all relatively harmless. It’s kind of funny this and some of the car bugs in Deadly Premonition seem exclusive to the Switch ports.

Overall probably one of the better ports out there. Certainly not as “bad” as stuff like Deadly Premonition Origins(I personally liked it but it’s hard to deny some really bad framerate issues). If you’ve never played it I highly recommend it for those who want a nice simple hack n slash with a crazy story and characters and style.

I played just a bit of the sequel right after, and probably if I’d done that before it would have been just as jarring. A lot of the same systems in place, but just an overall different feel to them. Trying to make things a bit more fluid I guess but I do recall not liking some of the changes before. We’ll see as I play more tomorrow.

Now my sweet prince (PS4 PRO) has been sent away I am looking to my PS3 for the next couple of weeks!

1604577785505.png
I tried playing the Prince of Persia Trilogy Remaster last night as I've never played them but the Audio is so Echoy (Technical term...). It really is a problem plus there are no subtitles so the dialogue is hard to follow. Might try more of it tonight.

Yakuza 4 -- Went back to Yakuza 4 PS4 remaster today. I never did get around to finishing the playthrough I was doing. Waiting until I get my PS5 next week to download Yakuza 7. I think it's now available for pre-download on PSN (or I could be wrong)

Hopefully JB delivers that thing next week. They took my money in full so hopefully the PS5 shows up launch day with no weird delivery delays.

I've been playing FFXIV after a friend sort of dragged me into playing it, and I really just need a place to rant about it where I feel like I'm not liable to offend too many people. I've played the same character in FFXI off and on since a little after NA release in 2003. I do acknowledge that some of my affinity for XI is just the blood, sweat and tears I poured into it during its 'vanilla' days, but the story and lore is still in about the top 3 for the series (which, admittedly isn't a very high bar, but I would still say XI's story is quite good until the mid-point of Wings of the Goddess, or so).

Anyway, the main things that got me playing XIV recently were the free trial that allows for new players to play without subscription fees (or even paying to download the game) through all of the base game, and first expansion content (A Realm Reborn, and Heavensward, respectively), and a lot of chatter I was hearing about the story in XIV being the best FF story in 'modern' times. As I'd pressed through the base game, I was finding that, really, people were only talking about Shadowbringers (the latest XIV expansion) when heaping praise on the story. I was curious, going into the game, how FFXI players felt about XIV these days, but I was finding that most still wouldn't have put Shadowbringers above FFXI's Chains of Promathia expansion (which isn't even my favorite expansion story in XI; Zilart is). So I didn't expect that the XIV story was really going to "wow" me, but it was worse than I'd feared. Oh, so much worse.

I will say, there is a garbage-dump's worth of story, and flavor text, and banal NPC dialogue in just the base game, and it's almost as putrid. Do you like characters who act on vague platitudes, and only race from one fire to the next without considering any more sustainable paths to conflict resolution? If the answer is "yes," you might actually like XIV's story. If the answer is, "no," prepare for a dumpster fire. ARR on its own is out of control with layering disparate threats on top of each other, and leaving the threads dangling until it feels like picking one of them back up again, and dropping the others. The plot is pulled in so many different directions that it's tearing at the seems, and cannot be mended. This is all even before considering that it's actually a continuation of a story from a 'vanilla' XIV that was scrapped, and not even available anymore, outside of videos online.

The plot in ARR is a disaster, and it's all tenuously held together by this superficial theme of 'people = BAD.' I was promised that the story would pick up in Heavensward. Promised. It's even worse, so far! I didn't think it was possible for the story to be worse after ARR, but with all the bull shit from ARR still technically going on in the background, HW goes, 'look, DRAGONS.' which on its own is better than ARR-- is what I would have said, before hearing the story of Shiva and the cause of the 1000 year war between Ishgard and the dragons. It's actually devolved into fanfic-tier.

I actually like a fair amount of the content around it, like dungeons, raids, and trial bosses, but all of that is tied to main story progression. It would be one thing if the stories were succinct, like XI, but they are anything but. It's a massive grind of what feels like a thousand quests of trivial back-and-forth, with insufferably drawn out dialogue. I intend to finish up Heavensward, but there is no way I am paying for the full game and subscription now. Shiva was the last straw. I don't care if it goes Zeta Gundam and kills everyone, there's no way Shadowbringers is worth suffering through that much more of this pretetntious crap.

/rant

On a somewhat related note, I was thinking of looking at PSO2 after I finish what I can for free in XIV. Has anyone been playing it? Are the micro transactions intrusive on the experience at all?

i'm still very slowly playing witcher 2 (xbox360). i would probably blitz it if the graphics/ gameplay was better but as is, i'm only playing because i loved witcher 3, tv show and audio books.

I finished both No More Heroes games, and got just about everything I cared to in either of them. Aside from a couple of bugs in the first and just one crash late in the second, they seem just fine for anyone who wants to try them without getting a Wii or WiiU.

I recall I got the platinum in the PS3 version some years ago, and I’m not really willing to do some of that again. The free fight missions are all kind of terrible, and getting gold medals for all assassination missions is more trouble than its worth. But I do think this is my first time getting every t-shirt. Missed one card and had to do most of a third playthrough to get it.

2 has significantly less content which is kind of a bummer in general, kinda wish we got to explore Santa Destroy here but eh. The clothes have more variation, but the t-shirts are kind of worse. I used to like the mini games and most aren’t necessarily bad, but there’s just not enough and most don’t give much money to be worth the grind.

Think I’ll play Travis Strikes Again soon enough, maybe not right now. Went through it at release as well as the DLC, and got the platinum when the PS4 version came out, so it’s still a bit fresh in my mind. I’d like to get an idea for when the next game will release before I do so.

A lot of it makes me wonder exactly how the third game(4th?) will play out. It’s clear it’s a bit closer to the first two games but definitely has some of the TSA aesthetic as well as some of the Death glove powers, which I don’t mind at all. I wonder how important the new mech suit thing will be, and whether it’ll be used to get around Santa Destroy since it had the same color scheme as Travis’ motorcycle in the first trailer. I hope so at least. Honestly I want a lot of things to be a bit closer to the original really. But who knows.

In the meantime, guess I’ll actually start Moon tomorrow while I wait for Yakuza 7 to get here...there’s a few streamers I watch regularly who are playing it(Pat Stares At, Mori Calliope) who I have to resist the urge to because I want to go in mostly blind for once. For a while I’ve imported Yakuza games months before they get translated so it’s been some time since I’ve had no clue what to expect.

Yakuza 7 -- Second play through. I did the first chapter with English dub just to see how it sounded. I don't like English Ichiban so I'm switching back to Japanese. George Takai wasn't too bad as Arakawa, but yeah, English Ichiban just didn't feel right for me.

Finished Postal 2 and about to finish it's expansion, Paradise Lost. I have to say I was weary of it for the longest time. I had not heard great things about it. Granted it was never written off as terrible, usually... but it was not eyed, at least that I can remember, as being great. And I have to say, if the review is not 80% or higher, they are doing it a gross injustice.

The game is violent and sexual for sure, over the top and offensive, with a lot of dark humor. There is no doubt about it. But it is how you play that makes it violent, usually. Yes the game is designed to make the player do those things. People will cuss you out on the street, long wait times on missions that actually force you to stand around for long periods of time or ridiculous circumstances where something's price is just out of your reach... But you don't have to be violent, minus the boss sections and what they call "battleground scenarios". It is the player choosing not to wait or to be treated in such a manner, that they choose to play violently.

I'd also like to point out on a forum about Shenmue, that lends itself to realism in many ways, so to does Postal 2. The town is huge, spanning many sections. Everything one would expect to find in a town can practically be found in the game and then some. Houses, arcades, dry cleaners, bill boards, people and cops roaming around. Basically GTA on foot, with the on foot being more detailed and more realistic than GTA even, if that can be believed, at least up until San Andreas, I have not played anything past that point.

Regardless and I have not been playing that long, but the game is actually patched to have seasons/holidays. At least during the Halloween week, people were actually dressed up in costumes. I am assuming Christmas will have a similar theme. And at least on Paradise Lost, sections where it rains, it seems legit with the look of the rain drops falling and the sound of it hitting the pavement and rooftops and people actually use umbrellas. When it snows the crunch and crispness of your foot falls and the people wearing jackets is pretty cool to behold. And there is a LOT of variety in the NPCs. They wear all sorts of clothing and all sorts of accessories and the towns can be loaded with NPCs, to the brim. It feels like a real city.

Also they have a large assortment of difficulty modes. Normally I would recommend any one playing the game on medium or normal difficulty for the first time until you get a feel for the game. But I will suggest to anyone new to the game and interested in playing it, to play on Hestonworld mode first. The difficulty mode is not that much higher than normal, but what it does is arm everyone (or most everyone) with a weapon, instead of just the bad guys, cops and the occasional by stander, although you wont know till crap hits the fan. Depending on your play style, it may make it harder or easier, as when you go Rambo on everyone, they have the opportunity to and will fight back. But also when you run into those who openly hate you, those civilians on the streets will help to defend you, provided you did not draw your weapon or shoot first. But the major reason to play that difficulty mode, is because at the end you get to turn the seasons/holidays on and off at will. So if you missed the Halloween section (Literally it was not there one day and was the next and felt so awesome, it was amazing! Kind if like Christmas in Shenmue 1, but this is done in real time, not game time. In other words, during Halloween in real life, that mode kicked in.)

Further more I'd like to talk about the NPCs in further detail. They act accordingly to how you treat them. Bump into them rudely on the street and you will get an ear full. Pull a weapon on them and they may try to flee or stay their ground. Others who witness it may also do either of the same. Cops may show up on the scene to arrest you. Depending on how you injure the NPCs, they will also act out as one would expect in real life, even to gruesome detail. You can also use animals to your advantage by befriending them if you choose to...

And not to ruin any spoilers, but the zombies in this game are some of the best I have ever seen in a video game. Pretty great stuff. Also after beating the game on normal difficulty or harder, you get to play the enhanced mode which, I am not truly sure what all occurs, but you do get some much added benefits and can change the way you play dynamically. And that is not even to speak of the great Workshop/mod community that has added waayyy more stuff to an already filled to the brim game.

The only true draw backs I have, minus if you are squeamish or sensitive, which in that case the game is simply not for you, is the load times. The world is huge, the maps spans quite a bit in each area. But there are times on a mission where the shortest route is to come out of one loading zone and immediately coming out of that, turning right and going directly into another loading zone. It's not the biggest thing, but that can be annoying. Also the game can have "too" many weapons. You will have to learn both the weapon number keys and in what order they fall under. You could have several melee weapons, a few pistols, a few rifles, several explosives, several rocket types, a few fire starting/miscellaneous weapons, etc. And the items are in the dozens or so it seems as you try to scroll through it all. Seriously though, if those are your two major complaints, they need not be, as who ever complains about large elaborate maps filled with great content and NPCs and lots of weapons and items to collect and use?

One other negative and it is more me than anything else, was that I keep getting errors. But my laptop is old and not even that great when I first bought it. Every so many reloads and the game shuts down. The last boss on Paradise Lost there is a cut scene that also prevents me from finishing because the game crashes. And that last level and one in Postal 2 lags something fierce for me too, even when I turn down everything in options. But that is a problem I have and maybe a few others. You most likely will not have that hiccup, so do not let that prevent you from experiencing and enjoying the game.

Long story short, this could be the first person shooters of Shenmue. I would recommend anyone not too easily offended to give it a try. You might just fall in love with it. Oh and how can you not like a game where both Gary Coleman and Zack Ward are in it, as themselves? ^^!

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4)

It’s...OK. Feels a bit like glorified DLC or a filler episode with a far less interesting story. I would have rather we got a fully-fledged Spider-Man 2.

Now my sweet prince (PS4 PRO) has been sent away I am looking to my PS3 for the next couple of weeks!

View attachment 9574
I tried playing the Prince of Persia Trilogy Remaster last night as I've never played them but the Audio is so Echoy (Technical term...). It really is a problem plus there are no subtitles so the dialogue is hard to follow. Might try more of it tonight.
Yeah the PS3 ports are pretty terrible for this. It’s irritating having to constantly hear a bloody beetle clattering about several rooms across from where you are in a dungeon. Some cutscenes also go beserk and have a delayed lip sync by about 5-10 seconds so be prepared for that. In the end I decided to re-buy the originals on Xbox despite the loss of HD.

just completed witcher 2 on the xbox 360. somehow i always end up getting the bad endings lol

i personally found witcher 2's story a little hard to follow, the graphics, voice acting and gameplay are fine.. but i dont know if i would recommend this game if you have only ever played witcher 3 (witcher 3 is awesome imo)

im either going to play gears of war 1/2/3 next or resident evil 5+6

just completed witcher 2 on the xbox 360. somehow i always end up getting the bad endings lol

i personally found witcher 2's story a little hard to follow, the graphics, voice acting and gameplay are fine.. but i dont know if i would recommend this game if you have only ever played witcher 3 (witcher 3 is awesome imo)

im either going to play gears of war 1/2/3 next or resident evil 5+6
Yeah I agree, it has a lot of political stuff and you always get lost on it. Still a great game tho

Reactions: red
Finally getting a long hauler off my backlog:

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Definitely love the atmosphere and story and gameplay of Omikron Nomad Soul much better, but the story intrigues me enough so far to keep me going. Have a feeling I'll like Heavy Rain better once I get around to playing my PS3 disc eventually (if I love as much as Omikron I'll download on PS4... 31gb are a lot to sacrifice for a game I'm unsure I'll enjoy enough or not)

I am playing Miles Morales on my Ps5 (just finished it).

In December I will start another run of Shenmue 1 on the PS5 once again.

I am playing Miles Morales on my Ps5 (just finished it).

In December I will start another run of Shenmue 1 on the PS5 once again.
Were the graphics noticeably good?

The Last Guardian is free so I downloaded it. Skipped all the cut scenes (just wanted to test out the gameplay initially) and I was immediately impressed with the dog-cat thing. However, the frame rate was absolute garbage to be a point it was distracting. I saw that it was not a particularly long game so will give it a proper go but when I get my PS5 so the framerate will be locked at 30 or hopefully 60 if they patch it (currently 60 on the disc version if you don't update it).

Currently just playing Mortal Kombat, trying to learn Mileena. Pondering whether I get Valkriya Chronicle as I have no games to play (Aside from MK11) and there is nothing coming out this year or early next that I plan on getting.

Back