What do you expect to be retconned

Rakim

なんまいだー
Zoltor you're off your rocker if you think there's 13 hour long episodes worth of material in Shenmue 1. The story in the first game is minimal and could easily be covered in 4-5 normal length(~23 minutes) anime episodes.

...yeah, again, I like the story of Shenmue II, but I fail to see how there is simply too much of it to fit into ~3 hours. Seriously, what's so complex about it? It isn't overly plot-heavy, with lots of twists and turns. It has a main cast of about 8 or 9 characters...it seems totally doable to me.

As spud said, it's way too early to say it's going to be bad. We have hardly any info to go on right now.

Truck_1_0_1_

I Don't Know, but I Have You!
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
1 CC on Mania attempt at Final Fight CD (Sega CD)
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
Zoltor is just too wrapped up in his own opinions to even consider another POV; we've seen it for years on this board.

He constantly brings up Wuxia as well and it's getting irritating because Shenmue is NOT a Wuxia text; it has many elements of being a Wuxia text, but there are a couple of major things that dispel that notion, mainly due to the fact that RYO IS NOT CHINESE, 1/3 OF THE SERIES (thus far) TAKES PLACE IN JAPAN and that fact that the, "laws," or, "norms," of Wuxia are not at all adhered to (ie: there is nothing about Confucius or Confucian theory and that the Jianghu is rejected/not adhered to by someone central in the story that is supposed to adhere to it).

It's rudimentary, but read the Wikipedia article: you will see a lot that 'mue has in common with Wuxia themes and situations, but there's a shit-ton in the games that doesn't follow Wuxia at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia

We got an announcement of an anime and it is GREAT news; let's wait and see how things shake down before condemning the damn thing.

EDIT* I also want to point out, the #1 Wuxia text that Western audiences would be most-familiar with, is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; you tell me if Shenmue mirrors that text in any way, shape or form.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

Jibby

🍇
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Ace Attorney Trilogy
Don't worry guys, there's always Shenmue II: The Manga

サム!

"Never stray away from...yourself."
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Just to comment on Ryo's stoicism: am I alone in kinda hoping his personality / temperament doesn't change much? I think they could add some depth to his dialogue of course but I personally like the idea of Ryo as this stoic, quiet, battled man set on his sights (kinda like mando's reserved, stoic demeanor. The mando can be emotionally distant and ice cold, but we can see and feel clear as day how much is in his heart at times) bit of random thoughts but I think y'all get what I'm saying

Truck_1_0_1_

I Don't Know, but I Have You!
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
1 CC on Mania attempt at Final Fight CD (Sega CD)
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
I agree; they should keep it that way and not change things like they did for Akira in the VF anime.

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Just to comment on Ryo's stoicism: am I alone in kinda hoping his personality / temperament doesn't change much? I think they could add some depth to his dialogue of course but I personally like the idea of Ryo as this stoic, quiet, battled man set on his sights (kinda like mando's reserved, stoic demeanor. The mando can be emotionally distant and ice cold, but we can see and feel clear as day how much is in his heart at times) bit of random thoughts but I think y'all get what I'm saying
I have no issues with Ryo’s stoicism in the games and it could even be argued that it makes it easier to project oneself into him, but I’m not sure it would work in a different medium.

Shenmue’s gameplay and the desire to explore its vivid world are the things that drive the player onwards, but these aren’t really things that can be translated into an anime.

While the narrative and animation will also play an important part, there’s going to be much more of an emphasis placed on Ryo as a character than there is in the games. As he is, I’m not sure he has enough about him to captivate an audience.

If the show’s other elements are strong enough, this needn’t matter too much, but to leave Ryo as he is kind of feels like a handicap of sorts when there really needn’t be one.

Im not suggesting that they turn him into some Genki goofball or anything, but I’d be surprised if we don’t see a lighter side to his character at times and a little more emotion around some of the more poignant story beats.

What do you expect to be retconned...

QTE's...
Spending hours at the arcade every day, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day collecting capsule toys, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day with the kitten, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day stalking people, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day drinking soda and buying stuff from stores to win prizes, instead...

shengoro86

Please Kill Me.
I agree; they should keep it that way and not change things like they did for Akira in the VF anime.
oh god lol. Akira is such a derp in the english dub i love him. "MY CREEEEEEEEEEED"

If the anime is merely just yokosuka I will take a guess and say that maybe not retconned but many things will probably just not be explored since it's just one season.

Things like:
Kurita-san and his GF breaking up,
Mai and her issues with her sister/mother which led her to being rebellious
Megumi and Maiyumi's dad being overseas

That kind of stuff.

For a stright up retcon, I can't think of anything. Maybe they will remove the whole "heavenly beast comes to destroy the earth when the mirrors meet?"

EDIT:
OH and if they do the warehouse #8 phone call, I wanna see if they use "Comrades" or "My friend" in the dub (if it gets an english dub)