What game would you choose to have a ground up remake?

@Let's Get Sweaty I tried playing it on PC years back (can't remember if it was a PC version or DC through nullDC), but I couldn't get to grips with it at all despite proper wanting to. I imagine a full on remake or reboot wouldn't be unlike how Cyberpunk 20whatthefuckever looks. Unless it was by Cage, obviously.

1085896-omnikron_the_nomad_soul_trasera_pc.jpg

The Nomad Soul, a/k/a Omikron - released for PC and Dreamcast around the same time as Shenmue.

Clunky controls and substandard combat have kept this from many people's lists of all time favorite games, but it's on mine. And a remake could not only make it more accessible, but also take its original ideas, remarkably unstolen to this day, even further.

The drawback of course is that now, if Quantic Dream were to remake it themselves, it would become a QTE-driven interactive movie. So hopefully another company out there sees potential in licensing the IP.
I've still yet to try this, but very excited for the day I do...

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

Still one of my all time favorites and of all the ones I can think of there it should be remade the most. It was very impressive when it came out and is still a great open world game with a lot of focus on its story. While I'd say that it aged pretty well, it is of course still a game from 2002 with all the limits back then. The engine is seriously lacking draw distance and while that can be modded away it then shows why it has been done because not even a 5GHz i7 can maintain a steady framerate at times, especially at night. Part of the problem is of course no parallelization at all.

It was only ever ported to the Xbox and PS2 in 2004 and that was a very weak outing, not even close to the scope of the PC version.
There is no real rerelease of the original and I think it deserves another life in a more modern 3D enviroment.

What about TES: Arena and Daggerfall? With all these large-scale Skyrim mods in the works I'm surprised a few haven't been announced and silently cancelled a fee dozen times.

When Bethesda eventually announce an Elder Scrolls title based in High Rock you'll get a next gen Daggerfall in terms of visuals. I know some people think they will likely base a game in High Rock & Hammerfell when the time comes.

And amazing update. The series I would love to have either re-released / remastered / remade -- TimeSplitters -- have had some news ❤️ The rights have been bought back from Crytek and are now in the hands of the THQ Nordic, owner of Deep Silver (Shenmue III publisher) and Deep Silver again own the studio originally responsible for the franchise, Dambusters Studios (former Free Radical Design)

When Bethesda eventually announce an Elder Scrolls title based in High Rock you'll get a next gen Daggerfall in terms of visuals. I know some people think they will likely base a game in High Rock & Hammerfell when the time comes.

I've watched a couple of videos where they dissect the TES VI teaser, and apparently they're the most likely candidates, with the latter being the stronger of the two.

^^Wider audience would be nice, but I'm not sure the appeal would be as strong if it didn't have the DS functionality going for it, holding the handheld on its side like a book. There's something really cozy about that game and its sequel, and a lot of that comes down to how you have to approach the game in the real world. Playing on a tv screen just wouldn't give it the same groove, I think.

All the same, I still have to finish them both one of these days, so thanks for the reminder.

I’d love if Hotel Dusk were remade into a conventional console game, just so it could get a wider audience.
I loved Hotel Dusk! Shame that Cing went bust :(

It'd have to be Panzer Dragoon Saga. An immensely enjoyable immersive game that could only benefit from today's processing power. Having better graphics and draw distances would make exploring those vast landscapes a real treat. They could really flesh out the environments. *drool*

Back