What game would you choose to have a ground up remake?

Star Ocean 2

It was arguably the best Star Ocean game ever made and Expel would look lovely rendered in the Unreal 4 engine.

Even though it will never happen, I would love to see Lands of Lore 1&2 get a ground up remake.

Perhaps Lands of Lore 2 more than the first because it hasn't aged all that well visually.

Pokemon Snap. Was one of my favorite games of all time. Looking back its so short that I can easily finish it in one sitting now, but I had so much fun learning all the game's secrets and trying to take pictures that captured the pokemon in all of their majesty.
I'd love to re-explore all those environments with updated graphics and the full roster of all the original 151 pokemon this time.

I've only ever heard people say good things about this game so I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't done anything else in the "Snap" series yet.

Reactions: AXM
Silent Hill 1 and Capcom vs SNK 2

Silent Hill 1 and Capcom vs SNK 2

As much as I would love to see a complete remake of Silent Hill 1, the original cimematic animations had their own unique charm (having been created by one person!).

I do think a complete remake of Silent Hill 2 would be totally awesome.

Another game I'd love to see even more be remade would be Final Fantasy VI (the best in the series in my opinion).

Since Im here on a Sega related site, I'll stick with Sega games. Top of my list would be Panzer Dragoon Saga. Imagine this beauty with the quality of a remake like Resi 2. Skies Of Arcadia, Space Harrier, original 4 Phantasy Star games. That's all I can think of now.

Well, since RE2 and Flower, Sun & Rain are already happening (yay!) here's some more I'd love to see come back that haven't been mentioned yet:

Vagrant Story. Get Yasumi Matsuno involved like he was with the remake of Tactics Ogre, since that was one of the best game remakes I've ever played. This time, Matsuno could add back in all of the scrapped story he had for the game (was something nuts like 50% of the game scenario he had to cut) and do an epilogue showing what happens to the cast next, give it a proper conclusion. Did pretty well on release, I believe, would do even better nowadays that people love games like Souls and games with hybrid RPG battle systems. One of my favourite games ever.

Mischief Makers, since not enough people played it when it was out on the N64 (even though it's secretly Treasure's best game). It's the most overlooked action platformer I've played, one of my favourite games.

Jumping Flash. I think this series would be better received now, even though the original had a clearly 90s CG aesthetic, they could easily update it and keep the charm of the original and would work well in VR as well, as an optional thing, but first person platformers are only a thing on PC, pretty much non-existent on home console like PS4.

Hybrid Heaven, loved the concepts it tried to fit together (RPG meets beat 'em up combat system meets platforming meets puzzles meets cinematic batshit insane plot involving aliens, human experiments, shadowy government conspiracies and assassins), was a mixed bag in terms of execution made back when Konami actually took big risks, but I think it would be an amazing game nowadays with the updated technology and better design. Just released at the wrong time.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2 just hope that after SMTV gets released, Atlus decide to remake these as they are now very old and never been officially released into English (only available as fan translations). They are thought as cult classics in Japan, so it'd be nice for those fans who have never played them to get the chance to.

Persona 2 similarly to the above, I'd love for both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to receive remakes in the P5 engine, since too many Persona fans think the series started at 3, even though 2 easily has the best story (and characters) in the series. I love these games, would love for more Persona fans to get to try them, they don't deserve to be forgotten and left behind on PSP and PS1 for the rest of time.

Devil Summoner 1, no not Raidou 1, althought a remake of that would be sweet, I mean the original Devil Summoner, which again got left behind in Japan. We got Soul hackers and both Raidou games, so it'd be great to see this remade at some stage and released into English. I'd happily take it in first person like Soul Hackers is, I just want to experience the crazy story (involving a serial killer, demonic possession, the theme of duality and of course, the occult).

Twilight Syndrome series after how amazing The Silver Case and The 25th Ward both were, I'm hungry for more Suda51 goodness and these are more of the old school Suda experiences that I crave. Since there's a fan translation of Moonlight Syndrome in the works, I'm not as desperate but these Twilight Syndrome games are Suda's directorial debuts and regarded as some of Human Entertainment's best games. I want to play them so bad.

Mizzurna Falls, I love everything Human Entertainment that I've played, their games fascinate me and this might be their more fascinating of them all. Before Shenmue and Deadly Premonition, there was this game which looks strikingly similar to both in certain ways - day/time systems all the way back on the PS1, a talk to anyone adventure game in the small town, murder to investigate, clues to gather, characters who lead daily lives, an atmospheric adventure. The fan translation got cancelled and it's a tragedy. I wanted to play this so bad. The only hope we ever have now is a re-release or even better, a remake (highly unlikely).

Have to be MGS1. I am slightly shocked they haven't done that already.

66789-Metal_Gear_Solid_-_The_Twin_Snakes_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)_(Disc_1)-1511190650.jpg

?

One thing that always bothered me by the boxart it says Kojima "directed" it, when he didn't at all. In fact, his involvement was tiny, just routinely checking it every so often and leaving Silicon Knights and the division in Konami co-developing it to make it themselves. Shinji Mikami directed the remake of RE1 (which was one of the best game remakes of all time), Kojima did not for MGS1, which is a shame. It's also a shame they decided to put it on the MGS2 engine which borked the game and most of the boss battles in the process.

I'd personally prefer a remake of Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (the MSX games which had Big Boss and Gray Fox as the villains). I mean, since Kojima has now left the company, I suppose that would be one way to assure people buy the next big Metal Gear game at least. It'd be a way for them to soft reboot the series too, if needs be.

I like the thread but I actually couldn't think of any suggestions of my own. Generally speaking I stopped caring about graphics as much once we entered the (128 bit) sixth generation of consoles, at that point I felt like they were good enough for me to be immersed without getting better.

The generation before that is probably the best place to look for potential remakes (hardware limits, developer inexperience) but even in the case of a game like MGS, I think the experience holds up despite Snake looking like this.

0Q3AV70.png

Although that's much more of an exception rather than the rule.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Silent Hill 1
Wonderful choices.

It'd be a way for them to soft reboot the series too, if needs be.

If that is what it took to redo the canon so that Peace Walker were the true MGS4 and maybe just ignore MGS5, then I'd eat crow on my earlier opinion against...Although, such an idea might only be considered by Kojima if he was still running the franchise, which he hasn't wanted to since Snake Eater (and maybe a random bit of creative energy for PW). Doubt Konami would care about retcons. Quick fan theory: 4/5 stories were bad on purpose to laugh in our faces, yet Hideo is too proud to not at least make gameplay good fun (hence the justifiable high scores, but my personal disappointment). I digress... :eek: :giggle:

Also, agree about Persona 2. Not a Persona fan beause don't play much JRPG outside Shenmue and yakuza (and i hate fitting Shenmue into that even as only a technciality), but from watching and reading about he series, P2 sounds like it'd be my favorite just ahead of P3.

Last edited:
Jumping Flash. I think this series would be better received now, even though the original had a clearly 90s CG aesthetic, they could easily update it and keep the charm of the original and would work well in VR as well, as an optional thing, but first person platformers are only a thing on PC, pretty much non-existent on home console like PS4.
Ha, good mention. I'm literally sitting here looking at the PS1 games on my shelf, and that was one of the big ones that I kept glancing to when thinking about this topic. Absolutely love the originals. My only fear with a remake would be the possibility of it losing some of its simplicity (that was a big part of its charm). But whatever, I'd be all over it if they ever brought this IP back.
Same for Vagrant Story as well. I've only played all the way through it once, but I keep getting the hankering to try it again one of these days. I think the only thing holding me back is the slight user-unfriendliness of it (I'll have to go back through that in-game tutorial section all over again, as I'm sure I've forgotten a lot). But goddamn what a fantastic game, and your idea of adding in any of the cut script elements sounds like it'd be magical. Any amount of extra writing by Matsuno is a plus.

I think one of the biggest reasons for any remake, in any medium, is the possible fulfillment of missed potential, so here's one I think would work brilliantly: Galerians.
It's got a fantastically bleak story with excellent aesthetic work and an insane level of atmosphere; the only thing that makes it a little hard to go back to is the antiquated RE-style tank controls. Move it into analog control in full 3D environments and it could be great. I have yet to tackle the sequel, Ash (which was, itself, fully 3D), but the tiny bit that I played was promising. Though obviously for a remake of the original, I'd hope for slightly higher production values. It's kind of a cliche by now, but a bit of a Souls-esque direction wouldn't be unwelcome.
Plus, with that proposed Phantom Dust remake having gone absolutely nowhere, we could really use some crazy-ass psychokinetic mind powers getting flung around in gaming again.
Still love this crazy intro.

This one's going to be controversial. A lot of titles I'm seeing are acclaimed games that could do with a new lick of paint, but I'm also interested in poorly received games that with a second attempt could be re-tooled into something far better.

I'm a huge fan of the Tomb Raider series, so understand me when I say that I would love to see its most weakest iteration re-made to finally do it some justice: Tomb Raider 6 ('The Angel of Darkness').

As it stands, the game is an unfinished mess that was forced onto store shelves well before it was even finished. It's writer, Murti Schofield, wrote an incredible amount of backstory, spending two years producing reams of writing into the Knights Templar, 15th century alchemists, Cappadocian nephilim conspiracies and angel-human transgenics - all lost like tears in the rain because Core couldn't learn the ropes of the PS2 and had to bin 50% of their work as a result. Two entire locations were cut: an alchemist's lab in a creepy German castle and an underground Nephilim kingdom in Turkey. Because Core felt 'gamers don't care about stories' they essentially took Murti's work, tore it to shreds, and smacked one-half of it awkwardly back together again with a sledgehammer. To this day, the cliffhanger of how Lara Croft survived the Egyptian tomb in The Last Revelation remains unresolved in the game universe, the gameplay features are half-baked and a clearly Shenmue-inspired saunter through small towns in Prague and Paris feel empty and lifeless. And the blasted controls!

Like Shenmue did for the longest time, Tomb Raider 6 always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as a story from a franchise I love that will never be properly finished. I cannot see a remake happening what with Crystal Dynamics keen to continue their own iteration of Lara and leave classic Croft buried in a tomb of her own, but man...I'd love to see a proper realisation of this story one day. Even if it were just a Kickstarter funded project between ex-Core members and fans ala Shenmue 3 style. Completely remake the game, re-tooling the controls and features while retaining all that lore and the last two locations. It would definitely be my favourite game in the series.

^^That's a cool idea. Funny coincidence, I've just been playing a bit of classic Tomb Raider myself lately. Tried to get into Angel of Darkness on PC to see what all the negative fuss was about, but I just couldn't stick with it for more than an hour; those controls. Tank controls in the old games were one thing, but somehow AoD made them worse.
Yeah, a remake would be more than welcome. Even though I kind of hate what Crystal Dynamics have done with Tomb Raider in recent years, Tomb Raider Anniversary (their remake of the very first game) still stands as one of the best remakes ever made in my eyes. I wish we could see that same treatment given to all of the older games in the series. The basic gameplay of the Legend series (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) was pretty great.

The Twin Snakes is not that bad. The voice acting is a bit worse than the VA of the Original Game and the Cut Scenes are over the top but it is still a very good Game I like it a lot.

Back 2 topic. I would like to see a 3d Remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake.

Snatcher and Policenauts would be also nice.

A Remake of Deep Fear ( a Survial Horror Game from Sega on the Sega Saturn would be also nice.

A Parasite Eve Remake would also be awesome.

I also want to see Dino Crisis and Silent Hill again with todays graphics.

Dino Crisis is maybe not that unrealistic than my other wishes.

Capcom seems to be interested in considering other Remakes if the Re 2 Remake is a success.

What about TES: Arena and Daggerfall? With all these large-scale Skyrim mods in the works I'm surprised a few haven't been announced and silently cancelled a fee dozen times.

The Twin Snakes is not that bad. The voice acting is a bit worse than the VA of the Original Game and the Cut Scenes are over the top but it is still a very good Game I like it a lot.

Snatcher and Policenauts would be also nice.

A Remake of Deep Fear ( a Survial Horror Game from Sega on the Sega Saturn would be also nice.

yes, yes and yes.

Mega Man Legends.
I love this game like most of us here love Shenmue. It was so weird to me a few years ago when everyone got so mad about the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3; I remember very vividly that when the original game first came out in '98, most people didn't like it much at all. I was the only person I knew that owned it, and any reviews I read seemed to minimize its value for one silly reason or another, never giving a thought to just how charming, how open, and how incredibly focused on fun it was. I've mentioned what I love so much about Wonder Boy in Monster World in other topics; Mega Man Legend is the only series I can think of that checks so many of those same boxes, but in 3D.
It might have been the first time I ever got that feeling of "I absolutely love this game... why doesn't anyone else?" (which is something I would feel many more times in the subsequent years), which resulted in a bit of a shock for me when so many people were legitimately angry at Capcom for canning MML3. Of course, people seem to have just forgotten about it and moved on in the following years, so maybe it was just the "trendy" thing at the time. I dunno.

Whatever the case, MML3 was shaping up very nicely, even though it was on the 3DS which, as much as I like it, was a bit of a less-than-ideal platform for it. This stuff ain't exactly HD, but they were certainly capturing the spirit of the originals without a doubt:

289zfqt.jpg
33z8ar9.jpg

1z50n6h.jpg
2dj4aig.jpg

So if Mega Man Legends 3 ain't happening, I'd also happily take the original with a boost in graphical power. Legitimate cel-shading, rather than cel-style textures. Maybe some expanded environments, extra areas in the underground ruins, new boss battles, all that kinda stuff. And obviously new controls, so it isn't stuck with the old tank movement (though MML did handle that better than most). I think a series like this would undoubtedly be a hit nowadays. But if Capcom are so worried that a sequel won't sell, then go back and spiff up the first game, introduce it to a new generation. The story and personality totally hold up, they just might need a new coat of paint.

Whole heartedly agree. I absolutely LOVED the games when they first came out. Legends 3 was only just behind Shenmue of highly anticipated sequels. Sucked when was cancelled, yet not surprised because of the turmoil behind the scenes with Inafune... :(

Last edited:
1085896-omnikron_the_nomad_soul_trasera_pc.jpg

The Nomad Soul, a/k/a Omikron - released for PC and Dreamcast around the same time as Shenmue.

Clunky controls and substandard combat have kept this from many people's lists of all time favorite games, but it's on mine. And a remake could not only make it more accessible, but also take its original ideas, remarkably unstolen to this day, even further.

The drawback of course is that now, if Quantic Dream were to remake it themselves, it would become a QTE-driven interactive movie. So hopefully another company out there sees potential in licensing the IP.

Back