What game would you choose to have a ground up remake?

Twin Snakes isn't garbage. Only if you're melodramatic and pretentious. Same story, nice gfx facelift with 480p component, so calling it garbage is trashy unto itself haha. MGS2 engine made it a bit too easy, but still a great game--wasn't changed enough to be ruined by any means. Liked how Kojima gave the directing to Kitamura for his own flavor rather than a frame by frame boring rehash. Complaining about Kitamura being too wild for MGS is pot calling kettle black. If ya want garbage by MGS standards, look no further than Guns of Patriots or Phantom Pain.

I feel like MG1 and MG2 should be left alone in 2D, I love those games. They aren't tough to get into at all. Not that I wouldn't play remakes, but if they stay MSX exclusives forever, I'm cool playing them in Subsistence.

Twin Snakes isn't garbage. Only if you're melodramatic and pretentious. Same story, nice gfx facelift with 480p component, so calling it garbage is trashy unto itself haha. MGS2 engine made it a bit too easy, but still a great game--wasn't changed enough to be ruined by any means. Liked how Kojima gave the directing to Kitamura for his own flavor rather than a frame by frame boring rehash. Complaining about Kitamura being too wild for MGS is pot calling kettle black. If ya want garbage by MGS standards, look no further than Guns of Patriots or Phantom Pain.
I have to disagree completely. Forced new voice acting, horrible cutscenes that basically were a parody of the original(although the ninja ones were cool IMO, the rest were awful), awkward controls, most boss fights and stealth sections completely ruined by first person shooting, zero subtlety and tension... there was actually a video I just watched the other day that explained it perfectly but I can't find it again... if I find it I'll post it...

But at least we can agree that Guns of the Patriots and Phantom Pain were trash too...

I would love to see an original remake of the first halflife

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

It may be problematic to find a team able to do it justice, though...

I would love to see an original remake of the first halflife
Does Black Mesa count? They're finally close to finishing it apparently, and it is Valve-endorsed.

Anyway, I've probably got about a hundred games I could mention. Mostly PS1-era games, or other stuff from the genuine early days of 3D graphics. I look at stuff from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/Dreamcast-era, and honestly most of it still looks and plays plenty good enough for me.

Someone already mentioned Bushido Blade, and that likely would have been the first I'd mention. It's still my favorite fighting game, and I have no problem going back to it as-is. For its time, it was actually really graphically-impressive, with little details like regional damage, characters getting dirty when they jump in a mud pit, hair swaying in the wind and all that. But a graphical makeover could easily improve the atmosphere tenfold, and a bit of a speed bump and a slight alteration to the control would make it even more exciting. Of all the games I think genuinely deserve a remake of some kind, Bushido Blade would probably be the simplest to do, since it's really just a small collection of environments, a small roster of characters, and a tiny bit of sparse storytelling. Nowadays a little dev team of ten to twenty people could easily make it happen.

On the slightly larger end of things, I'd be all kinds of hyped if they ever decided to do a remake of Parasite Eve. Narratively it's a pretty modest length for an RPG, so remaking it as some kind of survival-horror-lite action game would work brilliantly. I'd still want it to be replete with action and boss battles and all that, but switching it to a full 3D environment (the original had all pre-rendered backgrounds) would be incredible.
I'm so much in love with the original game, though, that I'd be disappointed if they changed the design work too much. The original had such a great variety of creepy bio-mutants and haunting images in its cutscenes that I'd really just want to see all of that stuff redone "word-for-word" so to speak. Which, if I'm being realistic, would be really unlikely. So this whole thing is really just me fantasizing; an actual remake would probably put me off somehow. But eh, the way I imagine it is beautiful anyway.

This one is difficult because a lot of what i like either had remakes/remasters and the like + I'm usually vying for sequels instead :D

But eventually one comes to mind and that will be: Pursuit Force and/or it's sequel.
Because I genuinely think there's a lot of fun to be had if that idea was explored further in a re-imagined remake. A lot of people point towards crackdown or sleeping dogs as a cool openworld [super]cop games but I feel like there's still a lot to explore here.
Like crackdown is cool and all but pursuit force is grounded a bit like driver with it's challenging missions-like structure.

Tbf though i'd settle for any cool openworld cop sorta game. Crackdown 3 looks cool and i'll look forward to it but I think Sony should revisit the idea of doing their own again like they did with pursuit force but with a higher budget.
It doesn't even have to be pursuit force, just something that's grounded and tough/engaging like that (doods: wouldn't a RoboCop driver/pseudo-openworld game be amazing? c'mon, @skilljim, anyone here me out! :p )

tfw you wrote this the day before but forgot to press send and tabbed out :/

Aside from Panzer Dragoon Saga, I'll go with Die Hard Arcade (1996, Saturn). Been meaning to get back into that childhood favourite of mine but prices for it on eBay are really off-putting. I wouldn't want a ground-up remake, just a prettier slap of paint or heck even just a re-release on a new system.

I know they did a remake on PS2 in Japan, but getting that would mean buying a modified PS2 or using some disc swap magic which would just be too much of a ball-ache to play one game.

If Sega threw together a compilation of old titles I hope they include that game.

Aside from Panzer Dragoon Saga, I'll go with Die Hard Arcade (1996, Saturn). Been meaning to get back into that childhood favourite of mine but prices for it on eBay are really off-putting. I wouldn't want a ground-up remake, just a prettier slap of paint or heck even just a re-release on a new system.

I know they did a remake on PS2 in Japan, but getting that would mean buying a modified PS2 or using some disc swap magic which would just be too much of a ball-ache to play one game.

If Sega threw together a compilation of old titles I hope they include that game.
Are you against emulation?

Are you against emulation?
I've emulated Dreamcast games in the past (Shenmue Undub) but haven't learned how to do it for Saturn games. I think its more a case I'd like to physically own that title one day. Guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled on eBay till I find a decent price.

Although I don't really want to remake older games, especially Shenmue, because I love the quality it already is and the style/atmosphere it has. I would love to see a total remake for the sake of interest!

Other then Shenmue, I would love to see a remake of TimeSplitters 2, that game was amazing on so many levels.

Also seeing Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask in Breath of the Wild quality would be incredible!

What happened to that new timesplitters game that was being made? I haven't heard of it in ages.

What happened to that new timesplitters game that was being made? I haven't heard of it in ages.
You mean the Rewind? It started as a fan mod, and is slowly and steadily still happening (as far as I know).

As for the official TimeSplitters 4, it was in the works at Free Radical, but because of the asshats at Lucas Arts pulling out of the Battlefront III game late in the process, and some other dealings falling short, they went bust. They were later bought by Crytek, loads of shady stuff happened, like Crytek UK (Former FRD) not being paid etc. They were later sold to Deep Silver, who renamed the studio to Dambusters Studios. But as far as I know, Crytek retained the rights for TimeSplitters ?

Reactions: SCQ
That sucks, with Halo the timesplitter games are definitely my favourite fps games of all time. It would be nice to see them make a comeback.

That sucks, with Halo the timesplitter games are definitely my favourite fps games of all time. It would be nice to see them make a comeback.
I really hope so, at least that Crytek go under in flames and that Deep Silver can get the rights back to Dambusters!

I have to disagree completely. Forced new voice acting, horrible cutscenes that basically were a parody of the original(although the ninja ones were cool IMO, the rest were awful), awkward controls, most boss fights and stealth sections completely ruined by first person shooting, zero subtlety and tension... there was actually a video I just watched the other day that explained it perfectly but I can't find it again... if I find it I'll post it...

But at least we can agree that Guns of the Patriots and Phantom Pain were trash too...
Found the video...

But eventually one comes to mind and that will be: Pursuit Force and/or it's sequel.
Because I genuinely think there's a lot of fun to be had if that idea was explored further in a re-imagined remake. A lot of people point towards crackdown or sleeping dogs as a cool openworld [super]cop games but I feel like there's still a lot to explore here.
Like crackdown is cool and all but pursuit force is grounded a bit like driver with it's challenging missions-like structure.
Oooooh, yeah. That's a great one. Pursuit Force and its sequel are some of the best games on the PSP, and the high-speed, car-hopping mechanics were legitimately innovative and exciting. And yet, no one has really picked up the ball and run with it since then. Yeah, another Pursuit Force or a spiritual successor of some kind would be amazing.
Good mention.

Twin Snakes isn't garbage. Only if you're melodramatic and pretentious. Same story, nice gfx facelift with 480p component, so calling it garbage is trashy unto itself haha. MGS2 engine made it a bit too easy, but still a great game--wasn't changed enough to be ruined by any means.

As i said, made a bit too easy, but not horribly ruined unless you're stubbornly exaggerating. If you weere cheap and decided not to bomberman Raven still, then yeah, way too easy in a bad way for that particular instance. shooting the tank rather than grenading actually was a nice mix up but not necessarily over simplified and bad. Otherwise FPS wasn't so atrocious for the regular sneaking nor was it required usage. Just like rail hanging was pretty much useless haha. Only overdone scene i can recall is Snakes random angry shaking of Otacon after he comes out of the locker.

/done

Oooooh, yeah. That's a great one. Pursuit Force and its sequel are some of the best games on the PSP, and the high-speed, car-hopping mechanics were legitimately innovative and exciting. And yet, no one has really picked up the ball and run with it since then. Yeah, another Pursuit Force or a spiritual successor of some kind would be amazing.
Good mention.
watching videos, the car jumping mechanics remind me a lot of those in just cause.

watching videos, the car jumping mechanics remind me a lot of those in just cause.
Yeah a few games like sleeping dogs, vin diesel's wheelman and as you say just cause do it, but pursuit dialled that mechanic to 11 and made you do these cool stunts and stuff with it. The game itself is different to the above though, it has more in common with the Driver series.

The levels themselves was what made it interesting to do/play because there was all sorts of missions and they were really gruelling/punishing so it really grips you into the action.

Oh and i second Panzer Dragoon 1-3. Although I'd to see them (somehow) preserve the original as well at higher res+framerates, this will be challenging feat to accomplish for sure.

Reactions: SCQ
Back