What Movie Are You Watching?

@Truck_1_0_1_ - I much prefer films that aren't so 'on the nose' about these things. Sometimes I feel that adopting a preachy tone can backfire in some cases. The best films are the ones that show progressiveness, but not as a sort of 'tick box' way which feels more cynical than anything else. Speaking of Zootropolis, please see 6) below!

Baseball is a funny one for me. When I travelled Canada and America in 2015, we went into Seattle and watched the Mariners play against the New York Yankees. I'm not one for sport (I find it hard to feel inspired by people who are better than me and despise the tribalism of a lot of the fanbase, not to mention the fact that during the pandemic, elite football is allowed to go ahead, but God forbid you should want to go see a gig, go to the cinema or even study at the library...), but I grew up with a copy of World Series Baseball II on the Sega Saturn and one of my favourite Simpsons episodes is the softball one from season 3, so I do have a soft spot for it :) I hear 'Bull Durham' is pretty good too!

6) Zootropolis (Byron Howard & Rich Moore, 2016): This one was brilliant. I've noticed that since The Princess and the Frog, the mainline Disney films have gone from strength to strength (a 3rd golden age) and this one is among the best; it was witty, clever and although it felt a little too preachy at times, i'm willing to allow it, because its heart is in the right place and it didn't feel contrived. I think that I prefer the non-person Disney CG films if that makes sense?

So jealous; I have seen over 300 games at the Skydome/Rogers Centre in my life, but never a single other game at another stadium... but the only 2 I've really had any intention going to, are Suntrust in Atlanta (would've loved to go to Turner Field, but the Braves moved a few years ago :() and Safeco in Seattle; I've been in love with Safeco since it opened (1999, IIRC) and have wanted to see a game there DESPERATELY. I should've gone when I lived in Calgary, as I doubt I'll be that close to the west anytime soon :(

Homer at the Bat is not only one of MY favourites, but it is generally considered one of the viewerbase-at-large's favourite episodes; it's just so well-done and enjoyable from beginning to end (I just get prickly when Lisa says that a HBP, "counts as a hit." :mad: IT DOESN'T!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:).

BD... not a bad film, but I'm not a fan of the film at all (even with Kostner and Robbins!). But if you want to see a glimpse into the life of a career minor-leaguer, it is well-worth a watch :)

Not only is Zootopia's Aesop done well (as you mentioned), but the actual hidden animations and Chekhov's guns, etc., are awesome; I love films like that and it shows good writing/storyboarding. It isn't as significant as Get Out (where literally everything on-screen and every line of dialogue has significance or is part of a greater meaning; I've never seen another film like that), but for a Disney film, few come close to the amount of symbolism, hidden meanings/Easter Eggs, etc.

Back to the Future -- One of those films I've seen more times than I can count and throw on at any time when I'm in need of a pick me up. It's charming as all hell and still holds up.

Have seen it many times and I enjoy it; don't like the sequel hook at the end and as a result, I've never seen the sequels (though I have seen the first 30 minutes of II and I wasn't a fan), but I would be willing to see II in its entirety. Have 0 interest for III though, especially since I'm not a fan of Western settings (there are a few exceptions, such as the Quick and the Dead, above).

This past weekend, my wife and I took in:

The Whole Truth (2016):

A Keanu Reeves vehicle, he stars as a lawyer who is defending the son of his former boss/mentor, who is being tried on 1st degree murder charges, after he admits he was the one who killed his father... but that was the last time he spoke and he won't say anything to anyone, in order to not incriminate himself or... something (I'm being intentionally obtuse; the film makes things perfectly clear, but I don't want to spoil it). There is a MAJOR twist at literally the last 3 minutes of the film, but the previous 90 minutes, I had figured out what was going to happen, after the 10 minute mark or so.

The acting is the film's only REAL strong suit, as everyone, large role or not, does a very good job at portraying their character; Reeves is especially good, in his usual, wooden way and it wasn't until the end credits that I realized it was Renee Zellweger who played the mother (I missed the opening credits); her performance was spot-on. Outside of that, cinematography sucks (I've watched a ton of Law and Order {the main and all spinoffs} throughout my life and the usual, modern-day courtroom films like My Cousin Vinny and A Few Good Men, plus old ones like Inherit the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird) and is far and away the worst of anything I've seen on the courtroom-side of things: horrible angles, weird choice of filters (at times), sometimes a shaky camera, it reeks of inexperience. Still, not a terrible film on the whole, but quite underwhelming, especially with a fairly-predictable plot.

6/10

The Mummy (1999):

An old favourite, my first-ever b-day party with friends I grew up with, was spent watching this film in theatre; it was a blast back then and is still a blast now.

Brendan Fraser is part of the French Legion and has deserted with his unit, to Hamunaptra, the, "City of the Dead," in Egypt. After failing to hold off a bunch of desert people (I'm not familiar with any wars of North Africa, thus there is probably a proper name for these people), a mysterious wind crops up and scares them off. Fraser's character begins to leave and a giant face is made in the sand. As he leaves, mysterious men dressed in black (known as the Medjai) follow his long walk, from atop a mountain. Cut to a short-time later and a librarian knocks over a dozen (or more) bookshelves and it severely angers her boss. She encounters her brother, who has found a mysterious metal, "box," and they go to the local jail, where they find Brendan Fraser's character (whom the brother stole said box from). He is to be hanged, but they are able to save him and he leads them on a trip to Hamunaptra, to dig for mummies and the like (lol).

Tons of great 1920s action, a decent plot and wonderfully-fun acting performances all-around, this was director Stephen Sommer's pet project and you can see the love that was put into this film. Fraser is awesome like always and the absence of any, "Deus ex Machina," issues that usually abound in films like this one, makes for a satisfying ending.

9/10

I must be on a David Carradine stint. Also I thought I had posted at least DR2K in the forum before, but maybe not in the movie section like it belongs? Regardless these two are watchable, the former much better than the latter, but I like them. And DR2K has been influential in a lot of things for movies, books and even video games. Carmageddon for sure took inspiration from it.

Muriel's Wedding -- One of my favorite Australian films of all time. Hilarious, at times oppressively sad, shabby but oddly uplifting come the end. Ridley Scott called it the film he would bury in a time capsule. The man clearly has good taste. Also, I fully admit to loving that ABBA soundtrack without any sort of shame.

I mean, the Waterloo scene alone is worth it :D

-------------------------------------------------------------

Godzilla (1954) -- Been in a bit of a Godzilla mood lately so I went back to the classic 1954 film. As wonderful and poignant as it ever was. Seriously, it really is a sad cautionary tale of man's own hubris.

Godzilla (1954) -- Been in a bit of a Godzilla mood lately so I went back to the classic 1954 film. As wonderful and poignant as it ever was. Seriously, it really is a sad cautionary tale of man's own hubris.
Always been a Godzilla fan, but obviously there have been some movies that were much better than some others. Will say I hope this newer King Kong vs Godzilla has more to it than just Godzilla being the bad guy however. Maybe it is Mecha Godzilla or some how normal Godzilla being controlled by Aliens, yadda yadda yadda. ^^!

Always been a Godzilla fan, but obviously there have been some movies that were much better than some others. Will say I hope this newer King Kong vs Godzilla has more to it than just Godzilla being the bad guy however. Maybe it is Mecha Godzilla or some how normal Godzilla being controlled by Aliens, yadda yadda yadda. ^^!

Yeah I'm curious to see how that plays out next month -- partially the reason I've been in the Godzilla mood too ;)

Personally I am not sure how Kong is suppose to win, ever. Besides pure raw strength, and even that can be debated when compared to Godzilla, he is just simply outclassed in all other ways. I assume they give him the axe or bone looking weapon in the trailer, to show he is capable of using tools. But Godzilla can do the same if it chose too. Plus he/she (still confused on that) has the atomic breath, sharps spikes, claws, jaws, tail, etc. And can either breath underwater or simply hold it's breath a lot longer than Kong should be able to. Unless this is a reinvented Godzilla.

Seriously I am not sure what Kong is going to be able to do. And can't Kong be injured by simple fire arms? Granted the wounds are so small it wont kill him for the most part. But Godzilla does not even get injured by such weapons, because the scaly hide is much tougher.

On a side not, maybe they team up to defeat Cthulhu. Now that would be something!

Currently sitting down to watch A Silent Voice from Kyoto Animation / Yomada. It's fantastic so far! The atmosphere and scenery is absolutely beautiful and the storytelling style is quite unique. The film is set in real life locations in Ogaki, Japan. Worth a watch if you're into drama / slice of life anime!

Took in another 2 films, this weekend:

Face/Off (1997):

Oddly, my wife chose this to watch! lol, I'll never say no to John Woo ;).

John Travolta is an FBI agent and he is shot in the chest one afternoon, while holding his son. The bullet goes through him and kills his son instantly, leaving Travolta shattered. Fast forward a few years and a plot is discovered by Travolta, whereby the shooter (Nicholas Cage), is planning to blow up the LA Convention Centre and spread a nerve gas throughout downtown LA, that will carry in the prevailing winds. This is a scheme concocted by him and his brother. After captured (the brother) and presumed dead (Cage), Travolta moves to stop this bomb and the only way to do it, is to impersonate the now dead Cage... but how? Movie-magic Face Transplants, of course! :D

The plot is a tad bonkers at times, but it's a good, Sci-Fi-esque plot, set in present day and it's awesome to see Colm Feore! The first few shots of the film are a bit off cinematography-wise (Woo's trademark use of slow-motion is not great at this point, IMO), but the rest of the film is shot very well and once the plot gets going, the movie draws you in and keeps your attention.

Woo's best NA film by far.

9/10 (rounded)

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

... and my choice was one of my wife's films... go figure!

As TVTropes says, it is a loose, modernish retelling of the Taming of the Shrew (favourite character Michael even introduces the Shrew as, "that is the Shrew," lol), Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles) is a rebellious/angry/super-feminist chick that doesn't conform to normality... while her sister Bianca (Larissa Oleynik) is the complete opposite and she wants to date guys, but their over-protective, OBGYN father (Larry Miller) has a rule that the girls can't date... which changes to, "when Kat dates, then you can." (the quote is actually reversed, but I digress lol) Since Kat has no chance of dating anyone, that pleases him and pisses off Bianca. Thus a plan is hatched by Bianca, a potential suitor and the guy the audience is rooting for, Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), to get Kat to date so that Bianca can. In comes Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) and the shrew gets tamed... or does she?

Widely-considered one of the best Teen Films ever, this is a *very* well-done film and it is just so enjoyable from beginning to end. Stiles is brilliant (but hideous; I've never thought she is even plain lol, just wholly-unattractive), Oleynik is excellent and so is Gordon-Levitt, but Ledger is just the best thing in this film by far; so well-played, so funny and his facial expressions are hilarious, a great job of comedy.

The writing is indeed excellent as well, as the comedy is used throughout to great effect with few (if any) forced or crude jokes. Maybe Allison Janney's scenes...

Anyways, absolutely worth a watch and at 7.3/10 on IMDB, you know it won't be trash.

8/10

Face/Off (1997):

The plot is a tad bonkers at times
Yea... completely reengineer each other through plastic surgery, even height differences and I am sure "other things..." :unsure: and voice box manipulation to infiltrate one another's organizations. 🤪 Still a damn good action flick though. ^^!

And this made me think back to these. :ROFLMAO: These may or may not be in chronological order. But they really do not need to be.

Falling a bit behind here!!

1) Once Upon A Time In America (Sergio Leone, 1984) [RW]: One day, i'd love to watch the 269 minute original version or even the rare 252 minute edition released briefly a decade ago, but alas, only the 229 minute version is available to me. I haven't watched this in over a decade, but time has been very kind to it. What I once thought was a great film I now consider a masterpiece. Everybody is on their "A" game here and for such a long film, it doesn't feel like it!

2) Two Mules For Sister Sara (Don Siegel, 1969) [RW]: My notes told me this was a 2/5 film when I last watched it over a decade ago. My notes were wrong, because either I was inpatient or I was having a bad day at the time; this film is a lot more fun than I remember. There's a comedic undercurrent throughout the film I really enjoyed and it was a good jolly romp!

3) Mobile Suit Gundam - Char's Counterattack (Yoshiyuki Tomino, 1988): I've really gotten hooked on Gundam in the last year or so and i've been trying to watch them in Universal Century order. I was excited to watch this having just finished Gundam ZZ (the 3rd series in the UC calendar), but sadly I struggled with this film. Gundam is complicated at the best of times, but to try to cram so much into a 2 hour film is fruitless; so much was happening that I lost track of what was happening. There was no context for why Char was the way he was (his loyalties waver throughout the first 2 Gundam shows) and there was no room for the film to breathe. The ending was sudden and I had to wikipedia it to make sure I understood what was going on. Such a shame as it would've worked better as a mini-series.

4) Fantastic Mr Fox (Wes Anderson, 2009): It took me a while to warm to Wes Anderson (I always thought he was all style, no substance), but I have long since changed my mind on that. This was an amazing film; the animation was incredible, the humour was top notch and there is such joy in every frame here. I am more of a cel-animation purist, but I love all types of animation (except 90% of CGI), so to have a modern film done in stop-motion is a masterstroke. It's a hipsters paradise <3

5) Hunger (Steve McQueen, 2008): Watching this straight after Fantastic Mr Fox was a rude awakening; a film about the true story of a hunger strike in Northern Island during the troubles; it's not the happiest of films. What is extradorinary about this film is that apart from one scene; there is barely any dialogue. The one scene that does is a 16 minute dialogue done in the same take. The camera barely moves. It is an incredible scene and I couldn't believe the skill needed not to screw it up. A very confident debut movie!

6) Moana (John Musker, Chris Williams, Ron Clements & Don Hall, 2016): Disney's 3rd golden period continues, but after Zootropolis, this felt a bit of a let down. It's still a very good film, mind. By this point, mainline Disney films are so well done that I can really only fairly compare them to anything in the last decade. I guess it felt a little empty? There isn't many characters and that's not a bad thing. It feels churlish to criticise it, but it didn't warm to me like other ones have done. I would've preferred the pig as the comedy sidekick compared to the chicken too. The short film Inner Workings (Leo Matsuda, 2016) was also competent, but compared to previous shorts like 'Paperman', it just didn't gel with me.

7) The Devil's Honey (Lucio Fulci, 1986): Fulci doing an erotic thriller is every bit as cheap and sleazy as I wanted! It's pretty crap, but I'm a big Fulci fan, so find anything he does fascinating. I have talked in another topic my uneasy relationship with sexuality in cinema, but I'm able to watch older films comfortably as it feels like another era. This film has a sex scene involving blowing into a saxophone, so it gets bonus points for that!

8) Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982): This is the Herzog film i've been most keen to see and it was worth the wait. It's a bizarre film about a man who wants to build an opera house in the jungle, so among other things gets a gigantic boat up a mountain. It's every bit as mad as I was expecting and I loved it. I haven't watched the documentary on the making of this film, but hope to see it soon as the stories behind the film are an eye opener (an extra offering to kill the lead actor who was a nightmare to work with for example!)

9) Killer Nun (Giulio Berruti, 1978): I got a free month of Amazon Prime, so using the opportunity to watch as much 70's exploitation as possible! This is a film in the 'nunsploitation' genre and to be honest was pretty boring. Still, it was proper sleazy in the right places, so I guess it gets points for that?!

10) August 32nd On Earth (Denis Villeneuve, 1998): Villeneuve's first film is a little uneven, but it's beautifully shot and is an incredibly confident statement of intent! It was a little difficult to appreciate the main characters and their motivations, but as a small indie film, it's quirky enough to recommend.

Reactions: red
Groundhog Day (Bill Murray) because it a flawless feel-good film that reminds me of how wonderful the world could have been. But it isn't, because.......

Anyway. I love that film also because the older I get the more I long for the 80's and the 90's. Have you tried talking sense with someone born around the 2000's? They know nothing and have no interest in knowing anything -else than the latest meme or tweet. I want to time travel back home where I belong but I can't. So, these kind of films gives me one hour or so to breathe and forget about the utter madness of this world that surrounds me like hungry demon-wolves.

I get what you mean. I guess our parent's generation felt the same when we were growing up. Whilst I can't deny the conveniences of modern life, I struggle to keep up with every day life, so see where you're coming from.

I need to watch Groundhog Day again. I didn't like it as a child, but now think it's a wonderful movie. I strongly miss the warmth of early-mid 90's comedies; modern ones are great, but there's a sort of disconnect and post-irony that feels somewhat cold and calculated. All of a sudden I have a strong urge to watch something like 'Sleepless in Seattle' haha.

I'm currently watching Beat Takeshi's film HANA BI. I've been a fan of his since I've watched Boiling Point as a teen in the 1990s.

Takeshi is a genius when he plays the tough Gokudo. He grew up around Gokudos all of his life. I compare him to Joe Pesci, who is also a master of authenticating the mob characters in films. He grew up in a rough Italian American neighborhood himself.

Although I didn't regard Yakuza 6 as an epic (it's still a good game), I will praise him for his role as Hirose.

I've recently watched the Yin and Yang Master on Netflix.
Great movie; liked it a lot.
Gave me some Shenmue vibes because the story also delves around the 4 Chinese Mythological creatures.

I took a chance to re-watch my Ten Favourite Films of the 2010s
--------------------------------------------

10.) Mad Max Fury Road (Dir: George Miller) -- A pure visual feast for the eyes and a reminder of just how good cinema can be without the need for green screen or computer effects. Pure eye candy through and through.

9.) The Disaster Artist (Dir: James Franco) -- While I do ultimately prefer the original book it's based on. There is something to be said for James Franco's idealistic dreamer who inadvertently makes it grand take on the material that is both thoroughly amusing and oddly uplifting.

8.) Cold Fish (Dir: Sion Sono) -- I don't just say this because I'm friends with the guy who wrote it. I say it because I genuinely love this film. It appeals to the inner teenage misanthrope that still resides in me at times. It's the ultimate "it's a sick sad world" tale of the 2010s and a film that compels me on a number of levels.

7.) The Social Network (Dir: David Fincher) -- It was easy to write it off as that Facebook movie before it released, but David Fincher's Social Network is a classic tale of friendship, greed and betrayl. A compelling study of a man who couldn't hold a true friendship in the real world without screwing them over yet somehow ironically managed to create the worlds largest social platform. It still holds up. Well played by all involved and well directed by Fincher.

6.) Spring Breakers (Dir: Harmony Korine) -- There were a lot of films this past decade that examined the dangers of excess. This was my favourite of the bunch. A wildly entertaining critique of vapid and vacuous millennials. James Franco is wildly entertaining as the wannabe gang-banger Alien. "LOOK AT MUH SHIT!" And it plays host to one of the greatest montages of the decade. The Britney Spears "Everytime" montage. Look it up if you haven't seen it. I can understand why some would hate this. But I loved the hell out of it.

5.) The Handmaiden (Dir: Park Chan Wook) -- After the good but somewhat underwhelming Stoker, Park Chan-Wook returned to form with The Handmaiden. The Handmaiden is a ravishing, enrapturing, and momentously engaging movie with dark delights, startling depths, palpable romance, simmering tension, and high-wire twists and turns that keep redefining the story.

4.) Border (Dir: Ali Abassi) -- The most unique love/coming of age story I saw of the past 10 years. Granted, I am a John Ajvide Lindqvist fanboy so my opinion on this may be slightly bias. But I loved this film. I thought they did a great job fleshing out the short story it's based on.

3.) The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Dir: Isao Takahata) -- A MASTERPIECE THAT WAS SADLY ROBBED OF ITS RIGHTFUL OSCAR BY THE UTTERLY INFERIOR BIG HERO 6....yes, I'm a little salty about that. But that aside, yeah, a true masterpiece of not only animation but just film in general. RIP Isao Takahata. You will be missed. Thank you for leaving us with this masterpiece as your final film.

2.) Climax (Dir: Gaspar Noe) -- The genre nut in me loved every second of this. Climax is a Cabin in the Woods style horror movie by the way of Gaspar Noe. Meaning lots of disorientating camera work, lots of long takes and Noe taking the audience to some deeply uncomfortable places. But this might be his most rewatchable film of everything he has done. The dance numbers in this film are incredibly shot and choreographed. And when the film finally enters the void (see what I did there), it's a ride through hell and back that you'll never forget. Also, incredible soundtrack behind the film. Not for everyone, but for those willing to take the journey. It's worth it.

1.) Snowpiercer (Dir: Bong Joon-Ho) -- Everyone praises Joon Ho Bong for Parasite, which is a good film in its own right, but this right here is Bong Joon-Ho's defining film of the 2010's. And that's not even mentioning Memories of Murder (which is still his masterpiece to this day.) But I loved Snowpiercer. This is the film of the 2010's I've watched more than any other and still enjoy it just as much as I did the first time I saw it.

Last edited:
Because I love spreadsheets, I looked back at my best of 2010's and in my top 10, we share Mad Max Fury Road and in my honourable mentions (essentially 11th - 20th), The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and The Handmaiden made it!

I have watched another 10 films, but in this instance I'll mention by best of the 2010's (I would go in detail about all of them, but it's hard when all 20 are wonderful)

Honourable mentions
10th / Submarine (Richard Aoyade) - A lovely little British comedy drama with a soundtrack from Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys.
1613419177348.png

9th / Midnight in Paris (Woody Allen) - Nostalgic romances are like catnip to me~
1613419228996.png

8th / The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Isao Takahata) - As mentioned, this is a beautiful work of art
1613419273265.png

7th / Tokyo Tribe (Sion Sono) - Sono is an enfent terriblé, but what an entertaining one!
1613419254080.png

6th / Boyhood (Richard Linklater) - The fact the film works filmed over 12 years is a miracle in itself
1613419310202.png

5th / Mother! (Darren Aronofsky) - This is truly a Marmite film and I love it for that reason!
1613419326013.png

4th / The Handmaiden (Park Chan Wook) - I was lucky to see the extended 3 hour edition. Such an amazing piece of work
1613419359256.png

3rd / Creed (Ryan Coogler) - I love the Rocky films and was amazed that the torch was passed with its legacy intact.
1613419381840.png

2nd / Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan) - I had the pleasure of seeing this in 70mm. Watching it at home truly is not the same.
1613419399815.png

1st / When Marnie Was There (Hiromasa Yonebayashi) - A beautiful little Ghibli film; almost moves me to tears each time.
1613419416226.png

BEST OF 2010'S
10th / Her (Spike Jonze) - Again, a wonderful, quirky romantic drama. More moving than people give it credit for.
1613419434071.png

9th / The Greatest Showman (Michael Gracey) - I have many reasons why I love this, but one I will share is that having seen Hugh Jackman perform in the flesh, he truly is amazing.
1613419453288.png

8th / The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki) - The master truly on top of his game <3
1613419471755.png

7th / Mad Max Fury Road (George Miller) - This could've easily failed, but my God - this is CINEMA.
1613419486881.png

6th / Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (Edgar Wright) - I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it, but the more I watch it, the more I adore it. It is such a sugar rush of a film (and I've been a long term Wright fan!)
1613419504997.png

5th / The Raid 2 (Gareth Evans) - So ballsy to make a 2 1/2 hour plot heavy sequel, but it works. And the action is top notch.
1613419522009.png

4th / La La Land (Damien Chazelle) - Warmed my heart when I needed it most. I love old school musicals and romance films and made me feel the world was a beautiful place.
1613419553480.png

3rd / The Tree Of Life (Terence Mallick) - I couldn't tell you what this film was about, but it's the closest i've had to a religious experience.
1613419567777.png

2nd / Our Little Sister (Hirokazu Kore-eda) - A gentle film full of love and joy. My girlfriend took me to Kamakura where the film was set and I felt full of joy. It's a warm hug of a movie.
1613419579885.png

1st / Your Name (Makoto Shinkai) - The 4th film to ever make me cry and the only one where I cry knowing fully well what is going to happen. I'm happy to be alive to see this film exist.
1613419537329.png

Honourable mentions
10th / Submarine (Richard Aoyade) - A lovely little British comedy drama with a soundtrack from Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys.
View attachment 10460

View attachment 10472
I'll second Submarine. Fantastic soundtrack in that film too. I still got to get around to getting the soundtrack on vinyl at some point. When I have some money to spare.

As for The Wind Rises...I actually had the pleasure of seeing The Wind Rises in its initial Japanese cinema run. This was before I had even learned a single word of Japanese. It was on my 2013 trip over to Tokyo (the year before I started studying.) Went over for Tokyo Game Show. I landed early in the morning into Haneda, had a couple of hours to kill before I could get into my hotel, decided to go catch a movie at a nearby Japanese cinema to escape the muggy humidity as it was late Summer (September.)

Saw that The Wind Rises was still playing. HAD TO CHECK IT OUT! No matter what! Sure, it had no English subtitles and I had no clue what they were saying at the time...but I HAD to see a Ghibli film in a Japanese cinema. Especially a Miyazaki film. This Ghibli fan couldn't pass up the once in a life time opportunity (or so I thought; I also saw When Marnie Was There in its Japanese run a few years later)

So I went, paid for my ticket, had the lady at the box office window look at me like I was nuts as she tried to explain "There's no English in this film" but I insisted "it's okay! I want to see it. One adult please!"

So I go in, sit down, no English subtitles...but I didn't need them. I just let the film wash over me and let it take me on its ride. Even though I didn't understand a single bit of the dialog at the time, I still understood what the film was about and what it was saying and I was mesmerized by it. It was beautiful. I mean, I had seen Ghibli films in cinemas before hand but the raw experience of watching a new Ghibli film with NO English subtitles in a Japanese cinema was pretty amazing. Even after a 9 hour over night flight that I didn't sleep a wink on. I stayed awake throughout the whole thing and was mesmerized by it.

Then I went and saw it again the day before I flew out...and loved it even more the second time. Then I saw it again when it finally came out with English subs the next year locally.

Truly magical experience that was though. And a really great film to boot. I know the subject matter is controversial considering it's kind of glorifying a man who created the bomber that led to suicide bombings and Pearl Harbor. But I was captivated by the difficulty of that. The aspiration to build something even if that creation is ultimately used as a tool of destruction. Is it right or wrong? Who is to say?

Anways I loved that film. Although I adore Kaguya just a little bit more...but The Wind Rises truly was a beautiful and bittersweet poetic film.

Last edited:
Oh no, a top 10 for 2010s?! Why do you guys make me write so much!?!?!?!? ;) lol

Kiddingm, of course :p

Ok then, my top 10 of 2010s (these are my favourites, as an actual top 10 in terms of objective quality, I can't really do right now :$):

HMs:

Why Don't You Play in Hell?
Black Swan
Jurassic World
Che Bella Giornata
Il Principe Abusivo
Get Out
Kingsman: The Secret Service and Golden Circle (prefer the first, though)
Keanu
Django: Unchained
Straight Outta Compton
Tutta Colpa di Freud
The Vancouver Asahi
Zootopia

10. Rush (2013), Ron Howard:

Image result for rush movie

Being a lifelong Formula 1 nut, I am glad that they have FINALLY made a film that stays true to the sport and its history (1966's, "Grand Prix," is borderline fantasy and not quite accurate), especially with the most-publicized and (wasn't alive back then, but from everything I've seen read, it undoubtedly was) fun rivalry of the 1970s. Bruhl is awesome, Hemsworth is even better and the little touches make the movie phenomenal, such as getting the colour scheme of Hunt's personal Mini Cooper (he always drove Minis) down perfectly or the use of the Hesketh team's quirks, personalities and look; Howard did his research and thensome. Wonderful stuff.

9. Bon Cop, Bad Cop 2 (2017), Alain DesRochers

Image result for bon cop bad cop 2

The first film was a quirky and super well-done look at the dynamic between Quebecois and Ontarians and it did so well at the Canadian Box Office. When the sequel was announced I immediately saw it on opening night, when I still lived in Calgary. This film looks at the relations between Americans and Canadians (specifically, Ontarians and Quebecois, with Americans) and it is so damn enjoyable from beginning to end. It's not as campy and hokey as the first film (also had a bigger budget, which helped) and naturally, it has less fans and is less-beloved than the first, but this is a much better film from a quality point of view and the Feore/Huard duo just knock it out of the park, easily my favourite Buddy Cop duo of any film I've seen.

8. Your Name (2016), Makoto Shinkai

Image result for your name

This was also an opening night viewing and my wife even liked it! (though she fell asleep for the last 15 minutes, as this was an 11:15 pm screening and she got up at 5:30 am for work) I'm glad to see some fans of this as well, as this was a wonderfully-fun, funny and brilliantly-written film. It keeps you hooked from the beginning and the relationship between the characters is fantastic, even with the weird fast forwards and backwards. I'm glad everything turns out for the best, in the end, as the characters really did deserve what came to them. This was the first film of this type (the only Anime features I had seen prior were adult ones like Akira and the Pokingman films lol) that I saw and it definitely won't be the last.

7. I Saw the Devil (2010), Kim Jee-woon

Image result for i saw the devil

As mentioned when I reviewed it 3 years ago (well, 2 and a bit), I came home from my part-time job in 2011 or so and my dad was watching this, while I ate cold dinner. I only saw the final half hour or so, but it was strikingly-shot and devastatingly-sad as well. Taking it in in 2018 fully, from beginning to end... Masterpiece, 'nuff said. The portrayal of someone who completes his goal, but the revenge leaves them hollow and empty... nobody does that better than the Koreans (like in OldBoy). It doesn't hurt that, like in OldBoy, Min-Sik Choi just steals the show and he shows that he can act anything, from a leader of men, to an imprisoned and disgraced father, to a complete and utter psychopath, which he plays to perfection in this film. His actions and mentality is... haunting, to put it plainly, one of the few film roles that struck those feelings in me. Superb title.

6. Silence (2016), Martin Scorsese

Image result for silence scorsese

I find Martin Scorsese to be probably the most-overrated director in the history of cinema; the majority of his films tell the same tale, of the same character, thrust into the same situations... or he just blatantly rips off/steals an entire film altogether (the Departed) and claims it as his own. This, on the other hand, is an actual masterpiece. I read the original novel by Endo on the flight back from Japan in 2016 and I couldn't put it down. As a practicing Catholic (don't worry, I'm not, "one of those;" aside from my chain and rings that I wear constantly, you'd never guess I was religious at all lol), this film hit me in ways that the novel couldn't due to its blatant imagery from the book, placed in front of my eyes. The film spoke to me in the way that the religion speaks to me and him being a believer to the end... a true Catholic knows where they stand within their relationship with God, regardless of specific actions or, "symbols," that are foisted upon you. Garfield, Driver, Asano and Nesson are incredible and the brutal way events are depicted, just makes you think how awful humans can be. But the actions of the priests, immediately remind you that there is inherent good in humans as well and that there is redemption to be found in religion; you just have to find it yourself, on your own path.

5. Un Boss in Salotto (2014), Luca Miniero

Image result for un boss in salotto

A wonderfully-fun comedy that has a bit (a TINY bit) of depth and an Aesop to it, it is definitely the Italian film that my wife and I have watched the most, since we started going out (2012), along with Che Bella Giornata (believe we have watched both films, around 9/10 times each). The laughs are fantastic and well-written/conceived, save for maybe one of the jokes (which involves a cat; not a fan of animal gags, generally) and the acting is brilliant for a mid-budget, Italian comedy; Cortelesi in particular, does a fantastic job at being a detestable, annoying, shallow and pigheaded character (it's what she does best), I really don't know why she doesn't play these types of characters in serious films, 'cause she'd probably get some critical attention lol. Papaleo is also hilariously... hilarious, whether it's physical comedy or his delivery of lines, just a joy to watch. I also love that it is set in Trentino Alto-Adige, as this is the (second!) least-used region of Italy, for films and media: I love mountains! Great fun.

4. Den of Thieves (2018), Christian Gudegast

Image result for den of thieves

Highly-underrated film about a heist and the people involved; this would never win an Oscar for any category, but it is so slick in everything it does, it turns the heist genre on its head... of sorts. The acting is excellent from top to bottom, (well, the background characters that have 1 or 2 lines, aren't that stellar lol), there are laughs and serious points aplenty, not to mention some great gun work and special effects that roll all into a nice package of entertainment. I still don't like Gerard Butler, but damn if he doesn't make you a believer in him... even if he does play a fairly scumbag character in this film. Pablo Schreiber is technically the star of the film and definitely gets the most screen time, but was usually billed as the 2nd or 3rd name; he is fantastic and plays his role about as well as anyone can. The dichotomy between anit-heroes and anti-villains is done so well in this film, hopefully when they do the sequel (apparently is filming now), it will live up to this film's greatness.

3. Tokyo Tribe (2014), Sion Sono

Image result for tokyo tribe 2014

I only got "Why Don't you Play in Hell?" because it was a Sono film, but I actually saw it before Tokyo Tribe, which was the real reason why I looked up the director in the first place. When I watched the anime after this, it made me love the film even more; yes, Mera doesn't look like the Mera in the anime, yes Skunk has been toned-down by a massive extent (it was needed), yes Buppa doesn't look unreal, but by God, this was such an anime in live-action, IMO, the best piece of media ever, when trying to make an anime, live-action. And the soundtrack! I am not a fan of rap and never have been, but these tunes are all just fantastic and they fit the film perfectly, especially since almost the entire dialogue are the raps (all written at least in part, by Sono, btw). Acting is cheesy and hokey at times (again, anime in live-action form), but damn good and the way they stylized the locations, just brilliant. Can't wait to wear my Waru hoodie in a setting where it makes sense :D

2. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), George Miller

Image result for fury road

The Road Warrior is one of my favourite films ever (in my top 10 favourite and the first I love as well) and after finally seeing Thunderdome and being horribly-disappointed once Max discovered the Lost Boys, I was longing for a sequel, for about... 10 years or so. Until this was announced and hell yes, I was over the moon and thensome. Tom Hardy was an excellent choice to continue the role and, while not a fan of Theron, she is brilliant in everything she does. I got into the whole Post-Apocalyptic vibe due to Carmageddon 2's user-made vehicles, of which a bunch are rusted, put together with spare parts and modified to ridiculous depths; I LOVE IT. Then, seeing all the vehicles in this film (I prefer trucks to cars, mind you), I was an 11 year old again, enjoying the wonderful effects, vehicles and the desert setting. Everything about this oozed quality and love and I said it before 50 billion times and will say it again; Miller was robbed of best director, period.

1. The Raid 2 (2014) Gareth Evans

Image result for the raid 2

No, I did not pick this because BCDUDE did lol, this is my favourite film of the 2010s by far and, after revising my favourite films ever, my 7th favourite film ever; while I enjoyed Evans' other films (including the prequel), this one shot him into my favourite director territory; he is just phenomenal at directing action films. Iko Uwais also has become one of my favourite actors, as he can not only fight like a madman, but he is also a fantastic actor and is good in everything he does. Alex Abbad is great in the film, Julie Estelle and Cecep Arif Rahman provide (IMO) the best fights in the film and the writing is tightly-paced and super fun, I just love this movie to bits. I'm still astounded at the camerawork during the car chase scene, Evans truly has a knack for high-octane scenes and situations. "One of the Greatest Action Movies Ever Made." You're damn right it is.

I love that we all enjoy similar films, this is awesome! lol

Last edited:
Because I love spreadsheets, I looked back at my best of 2010's and in my top 10, we share Mad Max Fury Road and in my honourable mentions (essentially 11th - 20th), The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and The Handmaiden made it!

I have watched another 10 films, but in this instance I'll mention by best of the 2010's (I would go in detail about all of them, but it's hard when all 20 are wonderful)

Honourable mentions
View attachment 10460

9th / Midnight in Paris (Woody Allen) - Nostalgic romances are like catnip to me~
View attachment 10461

8th / The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Isao Takahata) - As mentioned, this is a beautiful work of art
View attachment 10463

7th / Tokyo Tribe (Sion Sono) - Sono is an enfent terriblé, but what an entertaining one!
View attachment 10462

6th / Boyhood (Richard Linklater) - The fact the film works filmed over 12 years is a miracle in itself
View attachment 10464

5th / Mother! (Darren Aronofsky) - This is truly a Marmite film and I love it for that reason!
View attachment 10465

4th / The Handmaiden (Park Chan Wook) - I was lucky to see the extended 3 hour edition. Such an amazing piece of work
View attachment 10466

3rd / Creed (Ryan Coogler) - I love the Rocky films and was amazed that the torch was passed with its legacy intact.
View attachment 10467

2nd / Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan) - I had the pleasure of seeing this in 70mm. Watching it at home truly is not the same.
View attachment 10468

1st / When Marnie Was There (Hiromasa Yonebayashi) - A beautiful little Ghibli film; almost moves me to tears each time.
View attachment 10469

BEST OF 2010'S
10th / Her (Spike Jonze) - Again, a wonderful, quirky romantic drama. More moving than people give it credit for.
View attachment 10470

9th / The Greatest Showman (Michael Gracey) - I have many reasons why I love this, but one I will share is that having seen Hugh Jackman perform in the flesh, he truly is amazing.
View attachment 10471

View attachment 10472

7th / Mad Max Fury Road (George Miller) - This could've easily failed, but my God - this is CINEMA.
View attachment 10473

6th / Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (Edgar Wright) - I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it, but the more I watch it, the more I adore it. It is such a sugar rush of a film (and I've been a long term Wright fan!)
View attachment 10474

5th / The Raid 2 (Gareth Evans) - So ballsy to make a 2 1/2 hour plot heavy sequel, but it works. And the action is top notch.
View attachment 10475

4th / La La Land (Damien Chazelle) - Warmed my heart when I needed it most. I love old school musicals and romance films and made me feel the world was a beautiful place.
View attachment 10477

3rd / The Tree Of Life (Terence Mallick) - I couldn't tell you what this film was about, but it's the closest i've had to a religious experience.
View attachment 10478

2nd / Our Little Sister (Hirokazu Kore-eda) - A gentle film full of love and joy. My girlfriend took me to Kamakura where the film was set and I felt full of joy. It's a warm hug of a movie.
View attachment 10479

1st / Your Name (Makoto Shinkai) - The 4th film to ever make me cry and the only one where I cry knowing fully well what is going to happen. I'm happy to be alive to see this film exist.
View attachment 10476
Great Choices. I absolutly loved The Wind Rises. Don't know if you have watched this one; Its also amazing "Grave of Fireflies"

I want to watch it.

But if what I gather actually happens
he lets his sister starve to death so that he can live
, I absolutely do not want to watch it, as that is heartbreaking (and, sadly, probably something happened often during WWII... but still heartbreaking).

Back