What Movie Are You Watching?

i havent seen it yet but i thought it was meant to be a good film? is it that bad?
I had the same impression. It could just be me and my short attention span but I just didn't care for the plot. It wasn't because I didn't understand it, I just failed to understand the importance of a lot of the decisions people were making and the main antagonist's motives.

Not impressed with the actions scenes, how they do time etc. Just bland for me.

Reactions: red
I love Nolan; I think he is a fantastic filmmaker, but with Tenet he suffers from Kojima Syndrome in that people are afraid to say "No" to him. I didn't think Tenet was a bad film, but it was overly pretentious and complicated and made me feel sad. It was almost as if he was gloating "if you don't understand my film, you're too thick" and that's something I expect from Jean-Luc Godard or something...anyway here's another 10~

1) Robin & The 7 Hoods (Gordon Douglas, 1964): This is a contemporary version of Robin Hood, but in 60's Chicago and with Frank Sinatra and the rat pack stealing from the rich and (mostly) giving it to the poor. Like Ocean's 11, it's kinda naff, but there's a charm to it that is radiating. Sinatra could read the phone book and i'd find it interesting!

2) The Tales of Hoffman (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1951) [RW]: Considering opera is one of the few genres of music I struggle with, it's amazing how much I love this film. Watching it again, I do feel that after the first story, it slowly goes downhill and without subtitles I would have no idea what's going in, but my goodness, this is such a beautiful film. I could get lost in the set and costume designs for hours. I am not proud of my country, but I am proud of Powell & Pressburger; among the best of British.

3) It's A Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946) [RW]: In adult life, this is the film i've seen more than every other. I watch it every Christmas without fail. I know the film pretty much back to front and it is practically perfect. Given the difficulty that is 2020, I think this film resonates even more. And no matter how often I see it, the last 5 minutes make me well up. It makes me sad, because I do not see a lot of good in people these days. I don't see community spirit anymore and it breaks my heart. I know this film is sugar coated, but I want to believe that there is good out there.

4) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966) [RW]: Considering it's such a classic, I barely remember this film! In a way, that's a good thing, because I can appreciate it anew. Despite its accolades, it's actually not my favourite of the 'No Name' Trilogy (that goes to 'For A Few Dollars More'). It's brilliant, but I guess I wasn't in tune with its pace this time around which is a shame.

5) Endless Poetry (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 2016): I crowdfunded £50 to get this film made and it was only last week I watched it! I got £50 Jodorowsky dollars (he owns his own bank!) and a digital download of the film. Of course, there were no subtitles and my Spanish isn't exactly that great. This is the sequel to 'The Dance of Reality' (2013) and is the 2nd part of Jodorosky's life. His youngest son now plays Alejandro himself and again, it is brilliant. There is a lot of magical realism and difficult scenes (it is about him discovering poetry during 1940's Chile...not the best time to do so), but it is pretty gripping. The man is a shaman, because at the age of 92, he looks 30 years younger!

6) The Greatest Showman (Michael Gracey, 2017) [RW]: This film means a lot to me as I have many special memories attached to the day I saw this film. It also helps that I really love the soundtrack. I love musicals and this one was proper old school. I can understand why people don't like it, but I dunno; this one is a guilty pleasure for me and cheers me up when I feel down. I actually saw Hugh Jackman live last year and his performance was extraordinary. Considering i'm a pretentious sod, he completely won me over <3

7) The Trial (Orson Welles, 1962): I have to be a bit controversial and say that i'm not a big Orson Welles fan. Citizen Kane is a masterpiece, but i've watched half a dozen of his other films and I struggled with them (although his drunken wine advert scenes is comedy gold). However, this film was incredible. It is based on the Franz Kafka book and is the first film in ages to make me feel angry and anxious. I don't think I could watch it again, but when I did, I felt something that I rarely feel watching a film - and that's pretty special.

8) Tangled (Byron Howard & Nathan Greno, 2010): Again, I wasn't expecting much from this film and apart from a couple of tedious "action" scenes to appease those with ADHD, I was quite surprised with this one. The chemistry was great and there was a bright charm to it all!

9) Star Wars - Rogue One (Gareth Edwards, 2016) [RW]: I have a funny relationship with Star Wars. I didn't get into it as a kid, because the pit monster in Return of the Jedi terrified me, so I actually started with Episode I! As it stands, I am a Star Wars fan, but i'm not a fanboy. I hate the fanboys and I hate the haters. The community is toxic. Watching this at the time, I really enjoyed it, but 2nd time around, I actually found the first hour incredibly boring. The 2nd half is still great and I adore the old school look of the film (the sets looking like Episode IV). I still think The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film of the last 40 years though (and I enjoy annoying people saying that!)

10) Wicked City (Yoshiaki Kawajiri, 1987): I've always had this anime on VHS, but never watched it until I got a blu-ray for Christmas. Despite some odd pacing, I really enjoyed this! I loved the grotesqueness (the sex scene with the spider woman!) and the twists and turns were great. In a weird way, I'm not keen on modern sex and violence, but I love the grubby sex and violence of the 70's and 80's, so this was right up my alley!

The audio mix in Tenet was one of the worst I've heard in some time. I saw it at a cinema and thought it was my cinema that had a problem with the audio system, but apparently it WAS the audio mix as others had the same problem. Dialog got completely lost in the sound mix and as such, I found myself not giving a damn about that movie. I don't hate Nolan or anything, but I would agree with the idea that he is maybe surrounded by "yes" man. But I've always thought Nolan was a bit hit and miss to be honest. Sometimes he can fire on all cylinders, other times I feel he needs to be reigned back in a little (see Tenet and Inception)

Oh well,

Been in a Troma mood for the last few days.

1.) Father's Day -- For a measly $10,000 budget, it's amazing how polished this is given the no-budget. I've seen this before; I love it. Not quite as good as Astron-6's follow up (The Editor) but an insanely fun and trashy little Z-grade movie that occasionally excels beyond its targets.

2.) The Toxic Avenger -- TOXIE! I will always unapologetically love Toxie.

3.) The Toxic Avenger Part II -- Take Toxie, put him in Japan and you get further trashy brilliance.

4.) Terror Firmer -- About as meta and self reflective as Troma will ever get.

5.) Poultrygeist -- I think this best sums up the 5 Troma movies above. Lots of ridiculous gore. Lots of sex. Lots of politically incorrect humor. Lots of bad acting, But within all of these films is a can-do true independent spirit that you can't help but root for. I will always love Lloyd Kaufman (and company) for doing their thing and being completely unapologetic for it. I do love Troma, but Troma is of course an acquired taste.

6.) Crash -- My Arrow Video copy of Crash finally arrived this week so I put it on the other night. As bold and daring as it was the first time I saw it. Not my favorite of Cronenberg's (Videodrome still holds that honor) but a good one none the less.

Last edited:
I *loved* The Toxic Avenger when I first saw it a couple of years ago. It's crass and offensive, but it's also very funny! My mate cosplayed as Toxie a couple of years ago which was amusing! As for Crash, it's always been one on my to watch list; I must admit I find the premise rather disturbring, but I admire Cronenberg, so I ought to watch it with an open mind. As for me, here's another 10~

1) De Palma (Noah Baumbach & Jake Paltrow, 2015): An interesting documentary where Brian De Palma goes over every single film he ever did. It's an odd one as it is basically him talking over footage of his movies, but I really appreciate that every thing he did was ever covered; even small things like music videos! I'm not a big De Palma fan, but i'm amazed how many great films he did, especially Scarface and Sisters (to my shame, I haven't seen Carrie yet).

2) Where Eagles Dare (Brian G. Hutton, 1968) [RW]: A good old fashioned WWII action film with Clint Eastwood. This is a lot better than I remember. It might be that I have a lot of time for action films that have some quiet bits and suspense.

3) The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story (Thom Zimny, 2010) [RW]: As i'm sure I've mentioned many a time, Bruce Springsteen is my hero. I had a hankering to watch this documentary after a decade and for a hardcore fan like myself, it's fascinating. It also goes to show what a taskmaster he is. 70 songs recorded only for 10 to make Darkness on the Edge of Town. Some of the songs that didn't make the album went to 'The River' a couple of years later, many held back until 1998's rarities boxset 'Tracks' and another 22 songs unreleased until 2010! I also watched him and the E Street Band perform the album in full in an empty building. Incredible album. One of the all time greats (Racing in the Street is among the greatest songs of all time)

4) Nosferatu The Vampire (Werner Herzog, 1979): I seem to be having bad luck with watching Herzog films, because I always seem to watch them when i'm having difficulty at home (something I might elude to in the mental health thread). It's a shame I couldn't enjoy this one as much as I wanted to, but a combination of the former and possibly having watched 2 other films about Dracula in recent months took the shine off somewhat.

5) Demon City Shinjuku (Yoshiaki Kawajiri, 1988): After Demon City, I was hoping for some more great anime, but sadly this one is quite anemic in comparison; not a lot happens and (I appreciate this is going to sound weird), it wasn't as grotesque as I was hoping. I did like the heroine though; she was cute!

6) Wreck It Ralph (Rich Moore, 2012) [RW]: I really enjoyed this first time around at the cinema. It helped that I got a lot of the video game injokes, but it was also a sweet film with a charming story. 8 years later, i'm happy to say that's still the case. I should also mention the short film 'Paperman' (John Kahrs, 2012) which is a beautiful little piece of work.

7) Tale of Cinema (Hong Sang-Soo, 2005): I've watched a few of Sang-Soo's films when my streaming website described him as the Korean Woody Allen. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the films I watched, so was happy that more of his works were available (only one film is available in the UK!). Sadly, I wasn't an enamoured with this one. Again, watching a difficult film on a day when I wasn't in the best of moods didn't help. Great acting, but I can't say I fully understood what was going on here.

8) The Towering Inferno (John Guillermin, 1975): I remember seeing bits and pieces of this film as a child and it terrified me. Watching it for the first time in full as a mid-30's fellow, it's still quite terrifying (especially with real life tragedies like Grenfell Tower), but like 'Where Eagles Dare', it's fascinating to watch an epic (over 2 1/2 hours) unfold and keep you on edge. I must admit seeing OJ Simpson in it is very strange after watching the 9 1/2 hour documentary of him!

9) Fantastic Planet (René Laloux, 1973) [RW]: This French animation is one of those films I wish I liked more than I do. I think it's an incredible film in certain respects, but there's something about it I find offputting. It might be the very strange animation. It's not bad at all, it's just not my style. It is fascinating to watch an adult animation from an era when animation was mostly aimed at children. I do love the soundtrack though; very Pink Floyd-esque!

10) Mighty Aphrodite (Woody Allen, 1995): The first 1/2 hour was a bit of a slog, but as soon as Mira Sorvino came on screen, it increased twofold. I was surprised with the twists and turns and must admit that it's in the latter half of Allen's filmography. A pleasant surprise :)

i watched the 3 matrix movies on amazon, mainly to get ready for matrix 4 🙂

i dont think i've seen any of the films since 2003, so they were a little fresh when i got to watch them this time around.

i think the movies still hold up quite well.. yes, there is some cringeworthy parts but the movies are still good.. i cant wait for matrix 4.

Cobra Kai Seasons 2 and 3 -- Fun! End of story. I binged watch Season 2 the day before Season 3 dropped and then binged watched Season3 the day it dropped. This series is just fun to watch. End of story.

Drag Me to Hell -- I haven't seen it since it came out. Always thought it was a bit overlooked. Sam Raimi doing what he does best. Gonzo Horror Comedy.

Terminator Dark Fate -- I avoided this. But I decided to give it a chance because it couldn't possibly be any worse than Salvation. I was wrong, so wrong and I owe Salvation an apology. Salvation, congratulations! You are no longer the worse Terminator movie. We have a new contender to the throne!

I wanted to turn it off after the first ten minutes. I REALLY wanted to turn it off. But I forced myself to keep watching. <sigh> I should have turned it off after the first ten minutes. This series really did not need to continue after T2 and this bloated corpse of a movie is living proof of that statement. A blatant pseudo remake/reboot and so not worth my time.

The Shining -- Went through a bit of a Kubrick mood. I've seen this movie so many damn times and I still love it just as much as I did the first time. It just draws you in and once you start watching, you can't stop. Side note: Still haven't seen Doctor Sleep yet.

Eyes Wide Shut -- Went through a bit of a Kubrick mood in general. I hadn't seen Eyes Wide Shut in a few years. And yet it feels incredibly relevant.

A.I: Artificial Intelligence -- You know what? Even with its odd mismatched tone, I actually always liked this film. It's a strange mismatch of tones. On the one hand, it has the cold clinical Kubrick view at times, but also has one foot in the schmaltz and whimsy of Spielberg. But it actually kind of worked for me. Also, I do think it is one of the more philosophical films that Spielberg ever did. I know some people who really hate the ending to it as well, but it kind of always worked for me. It's an interesting if not flawed film. One that I can easily see why people would hate, but one that I never shared the hate for.

Ready Player One -- Finally got around to watching this. It was okay. I didn't mind it. Didn't love it either though.

Akira -- I received the 4K Blu Ray over the Christmas break and just had to re-watch it. Looks good at 4K!

Chronicle -- Watching Akira actually reminded me of Chronicle. Which of course is fitting considering Chronicle borrows a lot from Akira. I actually liked Chronicle. I think it's probably the best we could hope for from an American remake of Akira....even though it isn't a proper remake. Still a surprisingly good superhero flick that holds up pretty nicely even with the found footage gimmick.

Last edited:
Decided to watch Akira tonight after taking what seems like an iconic frame for my own bad vtuber art. :p

9D62DF3C-B3A8-405A-BAC7-80DF9AD8FDAD.jpeg

It seems this motorcycle pose has been in more stuff recently, namely Breath of the Wild or one of the No More Heroes 3 trailers, but maybe I just never knew to look for it until now. In any case, it’s what got me to watch it. Figure I’ll look up some theories on YouTube later to see what other people make of it, but these are fresh coming off the film not 15 minutes after.

So it starts off pretty simply, a little hard to follow until you realize there’s a couple different things going on at once and kind of converging. What I enjoyed a lot about it was sort of a “show, don’t tell” feeling about much of Neo Tokyo and the characters living in it, even if at least some explanation might have been helpful. But you kind of get the gist there’s this huge disparity between the haves and have-nots, seemingly a common theme in much of Japanese media at the time, and having it be in a futuristic setting is better at exaggerating the point.

Sad to admit I was dozing a little bit midway through, not because it was boring but more so because I should probably be watching these more during the day instead. Even so, I’m not sure I would have gotten more from the few minutes I missed or not...hard to say when much of the movie is surprisingly fast paced and there is rarely a dull moment as it just keeps ramping up and up and up. Doesn’t really feel like the typical 3 act story. Nothing wrong with that either necessarily, just odd.

The ending, well...where do I even start, or could I even try to talk about it at all? I guess, at least, I’m not sure I’m one to get hung up on details if it’s clear it’s not really meant to be realistic in the first place. There’s clearly a science fiction kind of slant but it really goes off the rails. The message I gleamed from the story was that the future can be utterly fucked if the elderly aren’t kept in check? Something like that, only put more elegantly than I can convey. Point is, did Neo Tokyo deserve to survive? A little difficult to judge for certain without knowing everything about the world but at least there seems to be some hope for a new one.

So perhaps there’s a bit more influence here than I knew going in, the things that first came to mind being the games ‘Silver Case’ and its sequel ‘25th Ward’, and by extension ‘Killer7’ in smaller ways. The first thing that tipped me off was people seeming to worship Akira. Never mind that same name being the default for the player character, but Kamui Uehara was labeled as a serial killer early in the game, only to find he was apparently relatively harmless, until later when he did start killing again, only to have people worship him, and it’s a bit of a complicated story but it turns out he’s just one of many borne from some secret government project that abducted kids. Not far off from who Emir Parkriener was. And then the 25th ward inexplicably sinks into the ocean because of a man made earthquake? I might not be recalling right. A much smaller one that might not have so much merit, but when Tetsuo started becoming a giant blob, it really reminded me of the Joy mutants from Lisa the Painful.

Those are just the really obvious ones to me, and maybe they really are just common themes based on real stuff that happened(whether literally or figuratively). As I watch more and more of what is considered classic, it’s easy to see connections or maybe just to confirm my own bias, maybe? Fromsoft at least isn’t shy about its Berserk references. Yoko Taro is a bit more subtle but it’s definitely there, too. Same with Ghost in the Shell for a lot of things. Deadly Premonition takes from Twin Peaks, but then so does Silent Hill or even Stephen King. At some point it becomes hard to say what is a direct rip off and what is sort of a natural flow of ideas passed down through generations and molded by the times we live in.

As an aside, I couldn’t find it subbed. Not my first choice, not that it was all bad or anything, just not sure if I can always trust the localization to remain true to the source material. That and I wasn’t sure if the kids were actually kids and had to be voiced by children for a while, but regardless they weren’t very convincing unfortunately. The one blessing was Jamieson Price as the Colonel. Nice to hear him in a relatively important role, especially if he may not be returning to voice lines in the Nier remake. I should look up more stuff he’s in. I really feel he deserves more lead roles.

Last edited:
4 really fantastic posts, the last 4! :D
I

6) Wreck It Ralph (Rich Moore, 2012) [RW]: I really enjoyed this first time around at the cinema. It helped that I got a lot of the video game injokes, but it was also a sweet film with a charming story. 8 years later, i'm happy to say that's still the case. I should also mention the short film 'Paperman' (John Kahrs, 2012) which is a beautiful little piece of work.

10) Mighty Aphrodite (Woody Allen, 1995): The first 1/2 hour was a bit of a slog, but as soon as Mira Sorvino came on screen, it increased twofold. I was surprised with the twists and turns and must admit that it's in the latter half of Allen's filmography. A pleasant surprise :)

Ralph is still such a great film to take in; I went completely apeshit when I saw Neff in the trailers; I really don't care if he's on screen for less than 10 seconds or so; it was just utterly cool of Disney to shine a (tiny) light on Altered Beast. Great story as well and Sarah Silverman shows that she has a fairly-decent range.

I've only ever watched the last 35-40 minutes of MA, but I REALLY enjoyed it and Mira Sorvino is BEYOND-sexy. Just so good-looking, a highly-underrated actress (that Oscar was well-deserved indeed) and Italian to boot :D

i watched the 3 matrix movies on amazon, mainly to get ready for matrix 4 🙂

i dont think i've seen any of the films since 2003, so they were a little fresh when i got to watch them this time around.

i think the movies still hold up quite well.. yes, there is some cringeworthy parts but the movies are still good.. i cant wait for matrix 4.

I will do so, the week before it comes out; I've watched them frequently, since around 2009 or so, so I'm well-versed and thensome, but it will be nice to see everything in sequence.

That first film is just phenomenal though; always was, always will be. (and I love 3; I know I'm in the {very small} minority).

This series really did not need to continue after T2 and this bloated corpse of a movie is living proof of that statement.

Eyes Wide Shut -- Went through a bit of a Kubrick mood in general. I hadn't seen Eyes Wide Shut in a few years. And yet it feels incredibly relevant.

Ready Player One -- Finally got around to watching this. It was okay. I didn't mind it. Didn't love it either though.

Akira -- I received the 4K Blu Ray over the Christmas break and just had to re-watch it. Looks good at 4K!

Agree 100% on T2; it ended perfectly. I rather-enjoyed T3, but it wasn't needed. Didn't mind Genisys either, but also wasn't needed.

EWS still is a perplexing film to me; it explores human psyche/behavior like many Kubrick films, but, like many Kubrick films, I always come out saying, "what the hell's the point? lol I also don't like Tom Cruise at all; while he's had a handful of good performances throughout the years, he's a fairly-shitty actor.

I really enjoyed RP1 and am looking forward to the sequel, when it comes out. Spielberg just has a way on entrapping you into a world/story that few can replicate and I appreciated the dystopian-esque world that was portrayed in this film.

As for Akira...
Decided to watch Akira tonight after taking what seems like an iconic frame for my own bad vtuber art. :p

View attachment 10140

It seems this motorcycle pose has been in more stuff recently, namely Breath of the Wild or one of the No More Heroes 3 trailers, but maybe I just never knew to look for it until now. In any case, it’s what got me to watch it. Figure I’ll look up some theories on YouTube later to see what other people make of it, but these are fresh coming off the film not 15 minutes after.

So it starts off pretty simply, a little hard to follow until you realize there’s a couple different things going on at once and kind of converging. What I enjoyed a lot about it was sort of a “show, don’t tell” feeling about much of Neo Tokyo and the characters living in it, even if at least some explanation might have been helpful. But you kind of get the gist there’s this huge disparity between the haves and have-nots, seemingly a common theme in much of Japanese media at the time, and having it be in a futuristic setting is better at exaggerating the point.

Sad to admit I was dozing a little bit midway through, not because it was boring but more so because I should probably be watching these more during the day instead. Even so, I’m not sure I would have gotten more from the few minutes I missed or not...hard to say when much of the movie is surprisingly fast paced and there is rarely a dull moment as it just keeps ramping up and up and up. Doesn’t really feel like the typical 3 act story. Nothing wrong with that either necessarily, just odd.

The ending, well...where do I even start, or could I even try to talk about it at all? I guess, at least, I’m not sure I’m one to get hung up on details if it’s clear it’s not really meant to be realistic in the first place. There’s clearly a science fiction kind of slant but it really goes off the rails. The message I gleamed from the story was that the future can be utterly fucked if the elderly aren’t kept in check? Something like that, only put more elegantly than I can convey. Point is, did Neo Tokyo deserve to survive? A little difficult to judge for certain without knowing everything about the world but at least there seems to be some hope for a new one.

So perhaps there’s a bit more influence here than I knew going in, the things that first came to mind being the games ‘Silver Case’ and its sequel ‘25th Ward’, and by extension ‘Killer7’ in smaller ways. The first thing that tipped me off was people seeming to worship Akira. Never mind that same name being the default for the player character, but Kamui Uehara was labeled as a serial killer early in the game, only to find he was apparently relatively harmless, until later when he did start killing again, only to have people worship him, and it’s a bit of a complicated story but it turns out he’s just one of many borne from some secret government project that abducted kids. Not far off from who Emir Parkriener was. And then the 25th ward inexplicably sinks into the ocean because of a man made earthquake? I might not be recalling right. A much smaller one that might not have so much merit, but when Tetsuo started becoming a giant blob, it really reminded me of the Joy mutants from Lisa the Painful.

Those are just the really obvious ones to me, and maybe they really are just common themes based on real stuff that happened(whether literally or figuratively). As I watch more and more of what is considered classic, it’s easy to see connections or maybe just to confirm my own bias, maybe? Fromsoft at least isn’t shy about its Berserk references. Yoko Taro is a bit more subtle but it’s definitely there, too. Same with Ghost in the Shell for a lot of things. Deadly Premonition takes from Twin Peaks, but then so does Silent Hill or even Stephen King. At some point it becomes hard to say what is a direct rip off and what is sort of a natural flow of ideas passed down through generations and molded by the times we live in.

As an aside, I couldn’t find it subbed. Not my first choice, not that it was all bad or anything, just not sure if I can always trust the localization to remain true to the source material. That and I wasn’t sure if the kids were actually kids and had to be voiced by children for a while, but regardless they weren’t very convincing unfortunately. The one blessing was Jamieson Price as the Colonel. Nice to hear him in a relatively important role, especially if he may not be returning to voice lines in the Nier remake. I should look up more stuff he’s in. I really feel he deserves more lead roles.
... I also adore it to death, it truly is one of the greatest crafts of anime ever and little can compete; the world that's created, the characters, the concept and brilliant drawings... just phenomenal.

Have you ever read the manga, BH? I loved the film to death, but after about 4 years of watching the film, I went and bought the (translated) manga and boy, does it ever expand upon the film and the reasoning behind things. The film also deviates slightly from the manga itself (for example,
Akira actually is alive and moves around, interacting with others
and the espers don't play the same role as they do in the film, really), so when people talk about inspiration or related themes/ideas, they may be talking about the manga.

Both are incredible on their own or when taken in together (the Manga also had 2 more volumes AFTER the film was released, hence why a few things aren't expanded upon).

I haven’t but I may plan to sometime in the future. I’ve had trouble reading books after having seen their movie adaptations, but manga has been a bit different for me, probably easier to get through with most of it still being visual. I’ll have to come back here and compare once I do.

Agree 100% on T2; it ended perfectly. I rather-enjoyed T3, but it wasn't needed. Didn't mind Genisys either, but also wasn't needed.

EWS still is a perplexing film to me; it explores human psyche/behavior like many Kubrick films, but, like many Kubrick films, I always come out saying, "what the hell's the point? lol I also don't like Tom Cruise at all; while he's had a handful of good performances throughout the years, he's a fairly-shitty actor.
For me, it's quite simple really. The film explores naivete and the toll it takes not only on this couples relationship, but maybe the world itself if you want to explore the bigger picture of the human condition. It's not my favourite of Kubrick's, but I kind of grew to admire it more with re-watch. The surrealist dream like nature of it appeals to me.

I will agree about Cruise in general though. He's very good at mugging for the camera and that's about it...but in some weird way, I feel that is kind of what makes him perfect for this role especially considering what the film is about. Someone naively stumbling through life taking something for granted.

On the Terminator: I don't hate T3. I actually didn't hate it when it came out. I know some people who really hated T3 on release but I actually wasn't one of them. I still thought it was largely unnecessary after T2 though...but regarding it almost as fan fiction? I didn't hate it. I do really like the ending to T3 with them in the bunker as Judgement Day happens. That ending was pretty neat.

My problem with Salvation was simply that the few sequences we got of the war in the first two films were way more captivating than anything we got from a film that was entirely set in the time of the war. I always wanted to see a good Terminator film set in the war but was largely left underwhelmed by McG's collage film. I say collage because it constantly felt like it was ripping off much better films and iconic shots from said films.

Genisys was bat shit crazy fan fiction that went so off the rails that it actually became entertaining. I didn't hate it, but I think I enjoyed it for the wrong reasons.

As for Dark Fate. We've left fan fiction and entered pseudo reboot territory. The first ten minutes was a complete spit in the face to anyone who liked the first two films. Then we proceed with a completely uninspired shameless rehash of T1 and T2 only now we get the insufferable "look at how diverse we are" crap that Hollywood is peddling at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against diversity.

See Cobra Kai, a show that actually introduces a diverse cast and does it without the pompous self applauding. But anyways, it's just another way for Hollywood to rehash the same crap only with a new and improved cast to hoodwink audiences. I guess I'm just tired of nostalgia porn and rehashing my childhood...especially when those films from my childhood STILL HOLD UP!

(I am aware of the hypocrisy in saying that while praising Cobra Kai, but hey, at least Cobra Kai is fun and good at what it does! :D)

Jinkies, I have a lot to catch up on!

@danielmann861 - I'm a big Kubrick fan, although I have to be in the mood for his movies. I was lucky to go to the Kubrick exhibition in London last year (remember going out and doing things?!) I'm not sure what my favourite film of his is; it changes like the wind! Although 'Full Metal Jacket' is his easiest film to watch. Parts of 'Eyes Wide Shut' (the orgy sequence) was filmed only 20 miles away from where I live! I wish I was into his films at the time as it would've blown my mind even more at the time!

As for the Terminator movies, all have their merits, but I guess it's easier for me to think of it as a 2 movie franchise. It's less painful that way. The newest one was probably the best since the 2nd one for me (although I ought to give the 4th and 5th one another shot). I also watched A.I for the first time a month or so ago. Again, it's an odd one as it's simultaneously really sappy and really cold. I must admit the last 15 minutes almost made me want to cry and I liked it more than I thought I would. I was a latecomer to Spielberg; I guess I was put off with all the admiration he got, but across his career, he truly is one of cinema's greatest directors.

@Truck_1_0_1_ - Yes, I loved all the cameo's! I'm not at a point in Disney's work where the films are great for all ages (the post-Tarzan era up to Chicken Little was garbage. Altered Beast was a very interesting cameo to have out of all the Sega games haha! And thumbs up for Mighty Aphrodite too! I have two more Allen films in my backlog and then i'll finally read his autobiography (I think there's only 5 or 6 films of his I need to see now).

As for the next 10 films i've seen, they are as follows:

1) Weathering With You (Makoto Shinkai, 2019): This for me was my most anticipated film of the year. Shinkai's previous film 'Your Name' was my favourite film of the last decade. It makes me cry every single time, every scene is something I could freeze frame and put as a picture on the wall and the soundtrack is beautiful. Weathering With You was never going to be as good, so I had to make sure to temper my limits. I missed the cinema release due to night school, then my mega 4K boxset was delayed all the way to Christmas, but still I held firm.

As expected, it was a beautiful, wonderful film. I think Shinkai is one of the greatest anime directors and is up there with the likes of Miyazaki and Kon. Of course, it wasn't as good as 'Your Name', but it's a film that stands on its own merits. I think there was bits that felt like a retread of the previous film, but i've long since accepted that Shinkai has a style of his own and he's welcome to use his motifs. I only wish I could've seen it on the big screen where it belongs.

2) You Only Live Once (Fritz Lang, 1937): Fritz Lang is a God-tier director; watching 'Metropolis' (1927) on the big screen a decade ago was a life changing experience and I adore his silent-era films. YOLO is one of his early Hollywood films and can't compare (for one thing, it was less than half the length of his silent movies), but his noir films are fantastic. It was a great treat!

3) Escape In The Fog (Budd Boetticher, 1945): Speaking of film noir, it was a delight to get Indicator's 'Columbia Noir #1' boxset! The first film was a minor 63-minute B-movie, but it was pretty cool. It was odd in that the twists and turns were pretty strange (of the dream becoming reality type) and some of the film would be considered racist today (this was made when America was still at war with Japan), but I accept that it was of its time.

4) Urotsukidoji III: Return of the Overfiend (Hideki Takayama, 1993): Technically, this isn't a movie; more 4 episodes, but i'm counting it as a movie here as the 1st film was the same, but had a cinema release. The quality has gone way downhill here; the animation is cheap and nasty, the plot is confusing as hell and some of the things that go on make no sense. It was a nasty film (expected!), but I still appreciated that there was a story amongst all the sex, rape and violence...not looking forward to the 4th one which is said to be even worse!

5) Mickey's Christmas Carol (Burny Mattinson, 1983) & The Prince and The Pauper (George Scribner, 1990): I'm counting these two together as they are only 25 minutes each but had a cinema release. I've been going through the Mickey Mouse cartoons and after the 1930's, the quality went way downhill. These two were the first Mickey cartoons to be made since the 1950's and they were great fun. Lots of little easter eggs and some nice contemporary action. I should also add the short 'Runaway Brain (Chris Bailey, 1995)' which I appreciated for its little Mortal Kombat joke (which is quite at odds for Mickey Mouse!)

6) Huie's Sermon (Werner Herzog, 1980): A 45 minute TV documentary about sermons at a gospel church. I must admit I kinda nodded off to this one and the sermon was so noisy, I couldn't really make much out of it (lots of talk about Jesus!). In a weird way, it was kinda soothing to nod off to...not something i'd expect from Herzog~

7) Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai (Jim Jarmusch, 1999): I've been putting this one off for so long now and I have no idea why as I love Jarmusch! Turns out the film was incredible!! His films are very slow paced, but here there is a little more energy. It's cool as fuck with a cracking soundtrack from RZA and oozes style!

8) John Wick (Chad Stahelski & David Leitch, 2014): I'm surprised I've never seen any of these films until now, but I was very impressed. It had style to spare, but I was more grateful that it wasn't this hyper-kinetic film where the editing almost gives you an epileptic fit. Very impressed and looking forward to Chapter II.

9) Woyzeck (Werner Herzog, 1979): I do love Herzog, even if practically every film of his i've mentioned here has been difficult to watch. This was another one where it was well acted and if I was in the right frame of mind, I would enjoy it more, but it was a very abstract film, so I think it was wrong movie, wrong time.

10) The Woman Who Ran (Hong Sang-Soo, 2020): My first new film of 2021!! (It was released late December, so i'm counting it as a 2021 release in my eyes). This is quite minor Sang-Soo in my eyes; it's 75 minutes long and consists of a married woman meeting up with 3 friends and talking about everyday things. It's an odd film, because it was kinda dull, but at the same time, it was hard not to be impressed with the long takes and the interesting conversations. Not his best by a long shot, but a welcome reminder that new cinema exists (even if I have to watch it at home...)

Don't think I wrote about it here, but it may have been a while since we watche4d it anyways, soooo...

Freedom Writers (2007, Richard LaGravanese)

1994, Long Beach, California, Erin Gruwell (played marvelously by Hilary Swank) is a teacher on her first teaching job, teaching a school that is integrated, with a ton of gang members and people of colour. For the first little while, nobody gives her respect or even does anything school-like, getting into fights and causing mischief. After a Hispanic student draws a picture of another (black) student, with big lips, she scolds them (in a mature, "teacher-like," way) about, "...this is how a Holocaust happens!" The kids show interest in this (mildly, at first, then with much more fervor as the film progresses), which gives Erin the opportunity to connect with them and understand them more... which happens and leads to some awesomeness in the film... or maybe more than, "some," lol.

The film is absolutely a warm and fuzzy-feeling film by the end, but there are glimpses into just how ruthlessly-tough life is for teens who are from disadvantaged backgrounds or who have no money (or who are in gangs). Nothing is horrifically-graphic, of course, but this would be a fantastic film to teach those about tolerance and respect, without it being too-preachy or too clinical; it appeals to all audiences, all creeds and all ages, as it displays universal morals and properly explains the Holocaust (again, without being too graphic).

All of the actors are in their 20s/late teens, so there is almost universal Dawson Casting going on, but I can admit with no hyperbole, that each and every person on screen acts super-well and incredibly-accurate to real life (from everything I've read/seen throughout the years, this film is so accurate to reality and the actual events, not distorting dates, timelines or situations/dialogues). Hilary Swank is pehenomenal, Scott Glenn is full or snarka nd Patrick Dempsey does a great job being a prick that no one likes; his usual shtick lol. My wife actually looks a tiny-bit like Swank (the mouth, mainly), so I'll never tire of watching her on screen.

9/10

i recently saw "knifes out" on amazon. entertaining, i would give it 7.5/10

nearly filled up my youview recorder with films. ive been using tv-films.co.uk (uk) for a while now, it's a really good website which tells you all upcoming films on TV.

Here's another 10~

1) Coogan's Bluff (Don Siegel, 1968) [RW]: I am working my way through my 63-disc Clint Eastwood boxset and it's cool watching films i've seen before, but can barely remember. I made a note that I wasn't so keen on this film and sadly a re-watch has confirmed that's the case. I feel awful saying that i'm not keen on the American South for many reasons, so although it's a fish out of water film here (it's mostly set in the city), it still feels like a dry run for something like 'Dirty Harry'. It is amusing to see Eastwood grimace at hippies though!

2) Frozen (Jennifer Lee & Chris Buck, 2013): I've put this one off for so long as the hype was incredibly offputting. As it is, it's a pretty decent film and good fun, although i'm unsure why this was deemed so special compared to more superior films. Still, the snowman is very cute! I should also mention the Mickey Mouse short 'Get A Horse' (Lauren Macmullan, 2013) which was a wonderful homage of the early black & white cartoons mixed with modern day CGI.

3) 4 For Texas (Robert Aldrich, 1963): As mentioned above, i'm not keen on the south and whilst I could forgive the previous Rat Pack films for its weird pacing and laid out style, I truly struggled with this one. I couldn't even finish it which is pretty damning. I think by this point, Sinatra and co felt a little old hat (his 1950's output is legendary).

4) Handicapped Future (Werner Herzog, 1971): Another 45 minute short from Herzog and this one hurt to watch. Like his masterpiece documentary 'Land of Silence and Darkness' (also 1971), this focuses on the less fortunate; in this case children with physical handicaps. What I found most striking was how warm and gentle many of the children were. It made me feel grateful that I am able to walk and see well (even if my eyesight is shocking).

5) Field of Dreams (Phil Alden Robertson, 1989): Being English, I find baseball strangely fascinating (doubly so as I don't like sports in general) and Kevin Costner is a great actor. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be (I think it was probably too American for me - lots of stuff that is lost on me culturally), but there is a nice warmth to it.

6) The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman, 1973): I've only known Elliot Gould as Monica's father in Friends, so to see him a) 20 years younger and b) so laid back he might as well be horizontal was a minor thrill! I've never read the book, so can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it was a pretty cool little detective film. The ending was a little rushed, although looking into it a bit deeper, it makes sense.

7) Paint Your Wagon (Joshua Logan, 1969): Prior to watching this, my only knowledge of Paint Your Wagon was the incredible Simpsons clip, so I was disappointed that there was a lack of painting. That and I have a 7" record of Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood singing (!!) It's a strange movie about a woman with two husbands which reminded me of 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' and some of it is pretty outdated, but it's strangely fascinating nonetheless.

8) About Endlessness (Roy Andersson, 2019): My 3rd film of his and it's so similar to his previous two that if there wasn't a strange hypnosis about his works, I would say he's very much a one-trick pony. The film is a hazy daydream of disconnected scenes where little happens and yet I find myself fascinated by it...it takes great skill to walk such a tightrope.

9) Big Hero 6 (Don Hall & Chris Williams, 2014): Again, I never watched it until now, but this was a very cute film (Baymax looks so huggable!) The 3rd act falls into the same trap of most superhero films in that there is so much going on, there is a large risk of sensory overload and my losing interest, but there is a lot of warmth and heart in this. I should also mention the short film 'Feast' (Patrick Osborne, 2014), which is a beautifully animated short. It's such a shame that such interesting animation styles are not used in a full length movie!

10) Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Simon West, 2001) [RW]: I haven't watched this in over a decade and for the most part it's as I remember; good harmless fun. I think Angelina Jolie was a great Lara Croft and the supporting cast is pretty decent (Daniel Craig! Chris Barrie!) That said, the CGI has aged *terribly* and I much preferred the scenes in the mansion rather than the tomb raiding itself.

5) Field of Dreams (Phil Alden Robertson, 1989): Being English, I find baseball strangely fascinating (doubly so as I don't like sports in general) and Kevin Costner is a great actor. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be (I think it was probably too American for me - lots of stuff that is lost on me culturally), but there is a nice warmth to it.

7) Paint Your Wagon (Joshua Logan, 1969): Prior to watching this, my only knowledge of Paint Your Wagon was the incredible Simpsons clip, so I was disappointed that there was a lack of painting. That and I have a 7" record of Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood singing (!!) It's a strange movie about a woman with two husbands which reminded me of 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' and some of it is pretty outdated, but it's strangely fascinating nonetheless.

Frozen is only popular due to it being the first Disney film that reveled in its LGBTQ subject matter (Lee flat-out said in an interview, "we knew what we were doing," in regards to the LGBTQ stuff) and, coupled with an award-bait song, made it bigger than it should've been; this film still gets the 2010s Disney spotlight, when Zootopia is 90 million times the superior film and while it does touch on a social subject like Frozen does, this is much-more universal and important, even if it isn't as, "progressive," as Frozen was (I hate when politics are brought into Children's films).

Anyways, FoD is a wonderful baseball story and Costner is indeed awesome! If you are interested in any baseball films (serious ones, not stupid crap like Major League), Angels in the Outfield is not bad for being a kids film, A League of Their Own is a fantastic time and if you haven't seen it, I think you will enjoy it immensely and Eight Men Out, my favourite baseball film ever and arguably the best; it includes a lot of the same things (namely the Black Sox and Shoeless Joe) that FoD had, since it is based on the World Series of 1919 and the outfits, music and setting is indeed of that time (plus, John Sayles, the director, writer and portrayer of Ring Lardner, a real-life writer and character in the film, looks almost identical to the real-life figure he was portraying lol). Pretty-good cast as well.

The Simpsons clip is one of my most-favourite clips ever in the Simpsons and I bust a lung laughing every time I see it; it is just so awesome! XD

My wife and I took in 2 films, this weekend:

She's the Man (2006):

One of Amanda Bynes' vehicles, she is the female of a set of twins, who loves soccer. When her school gets rid of their girls soccer team, she impersonates her brother at his school (he was expelled at the same school due to not showing up), since they are the main rival of her school and she wants to stick it to them. Hijinks and, "hilarity," ensues, involving a love triangle/square, since her double identity causes problems.

Major, massive plotholes and hammy acting aside, it is absolutely an enjoyable, light-hearted film and the leads do a great job. It's too bad Bynes' mental health issues have consumed her life, because she really is a good comedy actress and actually could've made something out of her career, unlike Lohan and other contemporaries. He will never win an Oscar, but Channing Tatum is awesome in every role he does (well, aside from White House Down); I think he realizes he isn't a serious actor, so he takes these random roles (this was his first leading role) and just has fun with them.

Sadly, while not a BAD film it really isn't that stellar and despite some good point here and there, there is never anything that doesn't remind you that this is just a silly, teen comedy.

And Vinnie Jones is still one of my favourite actors ever; he TRULY has the angry, snarky, loud-British character downpat, probably moreso than any other actor lol.

6/10 (being generous)

The Quick and the Dead (1995):

Sharon Stone rides into an old, Western town on the eve of a Quick Draw Competition, with one goal in mind; kill John Herod (Gene Hackman's character). But why him? Everyone else hates the man and there are gunfighters that have come from far and wide to try and kill him as well (their reason is different) so why does she have a grudge against him?

While the happenings of the film come at a normal pace, the background and motivations are a slow burn, which keeps you engaged with the plot. Stone is not bad and Hackman is brilliant (one of my least-favourite actors ever, he is great in almost everything he's in), but Russell Crowe's first big role is really not bad and the ensemble cast is pretty good. Raimi does a good job not making this a horror film, which is a good thing!

7/10

electric mist (dvd). 2009 film staring tommy lee jones.

the acting in the film is good and it has a great cast but it has a really weak story, i cant really recommend this film. i would only give it 4.5/10.

I just finished the 5 hour cut. More of a modern miniseries than a movie. I think it's the best cyberpunk story I've ever seen. I love the music and the slow pace of the noiresque mystery and beautiful scenery and philosophy and remarkable ensemble of actors. But don't watch this if you require superheros and action. This is a humane film.
Uteotw.jpg

@Truck_1_0_1_ - I much prefer films that aren't so 'on the nose' about these things. Sometimes I feel that adopting a preachy tone can backfire in some cases. The best films are the ones that show progressiveness, but not as a sort of 'tick box' way which feels more cynical than anything else. Speaking of Zootropolis, please see 6) below!

Baseball is a funny one for me. When I travelled Canada and America in 2015, we went into Seattle and watched the Mariners play against the New York Yankees. I'm not one for sport (I find it hard to feel inspired by people who are better than me and despise the tribalism of a lot of the fanbase, not to mention the fact that during the pandemic, elite football is allowed to go ahead, but God forbid you should want to go see a gig, go to the cinema or even study at the library...), but I grew up with a copy of World Series Baseball II on the Sega Saturn and one of my favourite Simpsons episodes is the softball one from season 3, so I do have a soft spot for it :) I hear 'Bull Durham' is pretty good too!

@Kiba - Ah, I really want to see this as i'm a fan of Wim Wenders work. Hell of a soundtrack too!

Here's another 10 i've watched~

1) The Great Esctasy of Woodcarver Steiner (Werner Herzog, 1974): Another short (45 min) documentary, but this one was fascinating; it was about a world class ski jumper trying to break the world record. Like I say, I'm not one for sports, but that doesn't mean I don't find certain elements of it fascinating (indeed, the Ayrton Senna documentary is one of the best i've ever seen!)

2) House of Wax (André De Toth, 1953): This is a Vincent Price horror i've always wanted to watch. For some reason, it took me a few nights to watch it (see also 9 below), so putting it down to restless nights. Still, I love old-school horrors and although I couldn't watch it in 3D (you could tell which bits where meant to be 3D), the atmosphere was delicious~

3) Beatrice Cenci (Lucio Fulci, 1969): This is said to be the first instance of Fulci moving from his early comedy phase into his 2nd phase as a horror and gore director. This is based on a true story of an Italian family and the daughter murdering his abusive father and the hypocricy of the Catholic Church. It was pretty hard to follow as it jumps back and forth in time a lot, but it was pretty gripping stuff. I helped crowdfund this film to get it remastered in 2K (so it's a weird thrill to see my name in the credits!)

4) Kelly's Heroes (Brian G. Hutton, 1970) [RW]: Disc 8/63 of my Eastwood boxset and sadly unlike Hutton's previous film (Where Eagles Dare), this one wasn't as good as I remember; the pacing is glacial and doesn't justify the near 2 1/2 hour runtime, but the last half an hour when it all comes together is pretty gripping stuff.

5) Metropolitan (Whit Stillman, 1990): This is a brilliant, witty little comedy which has echoes of the best of Woody Allen. I was talking to a friend about this film and he said that he now finds it hard to watch films about the rich elite and I can see why, but in this case, I found the characters mostly likeable and found their failings relatable. A quiet little 5/5 film!

6) Zootropolis (Byron Howard & Rich Moore, 2016): This one was brilliant. I've noticed that since The Princess and the Frog, the mainline Disney films have gone from strength to strength (a 3rd golden age) and this one is among the best; it was witty, clever and although it felt a little too preachy at times, i'm willing to allow it, because its heart is in the right place and it didn't feel contrived. I think that I prefer the non-person Disney CG films if that makes sense?

7) Everyone Says I Love You (Woody Allen, 1996): A Woody Allen musical!! There were some wonderful moments such as the song and dance routine with the ghosts of the recently departed and I have a massive soft spot for magical realism. I wonder if 'La La Land' was slightly inspired by this? It's a bit of a hotch-potch movie, but there is charm to spare here.

8) Urotsukidoji IV: Inferno Road (Hideki Takayama, 1993): I knew after Urotsukidoji III, this was going to be bad, but even knowing that, this was still trash. The first two parts were (and still are) banned in the UK, so part of this was the thrill of the illicit and I can understand why it was banned (children with telekenetic powers use monsters to rape those who become adults) and then it turned out that the banned parts were more or less standalone anyway. The 3rd and final part sort of concludes the story, but it spends 3/4 of its running time pottering around before realising that they should finish it. There is supposedly a 5th story (one part), but I really can't be bothered. The first film is pretty good, but it truly is a case of diminishing returns.

9) Mystery of the Wax Museum (Michael Curtiz, 1932): House of Wax is a remake of this film (from the director of Casablanca!) It was a bizarre thrill to watch a pre-code movie be rather brazen for its time (people asking about their sex lives etc) and the two-tone colour scheme is simultaneously ugly and beautiful (everything has a pink and turquoise hue), but again, I think I was in the wrong frame of mind at the time of watching this.

10) Western Stars (Thom Zimny & Bruce Springsteen, 2019) [RW]: Springsteen is one of the few artists where I think his later works are on par - if not better - than the most famous earlier work. Western Stars was a beautiful album and this film was him, some of his friends and a 30-piece orchestra performing the entire album in his barn intertwined with little monologues about the songs from Springsteen himself. I saw this in the cinema with a dear friend of mine who is also a Springsteen fan and watching it again was just as lovely. Seriously, Moonlight Motel is one of the most beautiful songs he's ever written <3

Back to the Future -- One of those films I've seen more times than I can count and throw on at any time when I'm in need of a pick me up. It's charming as all hell and still holds up.

Back to the Future Part II -- Once you've watched the first, you kind of just have that urge to keep going...

Back to the Future Part III -- ...and going! :D

Earwig and the Witch -- Ghibli's first forray into 3D CGi...I like 2D Ghibli better. Granted, this was a made for television affair so it probably had a lesser budget, but the animation while not terrible was certainly rough when compared to the big boys. As for the story? Goro Miyazaki continues to underwhelm. There's moments of good stuff in here, but all together? Underwhelming.

Psycho Goreman -- Basically the Ex-Astron 6 guys made a live action Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Has its moments and some nice low-ish budget practical effects. But doesn't come anywhere close to their two better efforts (The Editor and 2010's Father's Day)

JSA Joint Security Area -- My Arrow Blu Ray arrived on Monday. Re-watched it last night. Not my favorite from Park Chan-Wook (that honor still belongs to Thirst) but an amazing film none the less.

Reactions: red
Back