Why the story in Shenmue 3 is good/Why the story in Shenmue 3 is bad

I do find it interesting how someone can hate a gameplay mechanic so much that it goes a long way towards ruining the game for them.
If it were the only bizarre choice in S3 then I wouldn't hate it as much, but it's become emblematic of all the bizarre choices in that game for me. I have no doubt I would hate it in any other game.

And then you get people like me, at the opposite end of the spectrum who would be disappointed if the stamina aspect was dropped in IV.
I like the idea of a stamina system for Shenmue, plenty of games have done it well. Unfortunately Suzuki has (admittedly) not played any of them which is how we ended up with this.

There were parts in S2, both in HK and Kowloon where you were made to grind for money to advance the story too.
I know. I acknowledge this in my post above as well as elsewhere on this forum.
1. It's the worst part of S2 so I don't see why Suzuki felt we needed more of it in S3.
2. S2 at least justifies it by having Ryo's bag be stolen at the beginning and having him be strapped for cash.
3. It's way easier to save scum and earn tons of money from gambling because the gambling stakes are higher in S2 and have been lowered in S3.
4. You have to earn a total of $1000 in S2; you have to earn 7 times that in S3 (to say nothing of the cost of food and hotel).
5. (EDIT) At the end of the sequence of fights in S2, Ryo's $500 has turned into $3000, in S3 you lose all the money you grind for on moves you can't use in actual fights.

I think I'm going to start a thread explaining why S2 is good and S3 is bad so it doesn't keep derailing other threads.

Last edited:
Even without save scumming which I don’t do (and have no problem if anyone else does btw), it is incredibly easy to build large reserves of cash in S3. Incredibly easy.
How did you do it? I save scummed the highest stakes Lucky Hit. I've heard that collecting herbs is lucrative but I played before there were any walkthroughs and didn't exactly feel like drawing out the play time even further by blindly exploring for them.

Naa, you’re alright mate...
lol

How did you do it? I save scummed the highest stakes Lucky Hit. I've heard that collecting herbs is lucrative but I played before there were any walkthroughs and didn't exactly feel like drawing out the play time even further by blindly exploring for them.

lol

I haven’t really bothered with herbs to be honest. They are my very last trophies to get the platinum so just now getting round to them.

Bailu is slightly harder with less options, so apart from the fishing which doesn’t pay out that much relatively speaking, there’s Flower, Bird, Wind and Moon, which if you’re ready to save scum would be a fairly quick way. Even without save scumming i managed to get a loooot of tokens relatively quickly.

In Niaowu the Lucky Hit you mention doesn’t even require save scumming. Just press left 5/6 times and you get it 8/10. Then there’s the 2-stage book ‘exploit’ which is probably the easiest way to accumulate tons of cash without even having to deal with trading the tokens and then selling them. If you want large amounts of money quickly, this is the way to go.

Fishing in Niaowu pays out much better too, but the books are the way to go if all you’re after is quick cash.

lol

The easiest way to raise large amounts of cash is in Niaowu once you can get to Vendor Ave, in the promenade go to the book store and buy the book Three Kingdoms (its Purple and to the right) then at Vendor Ave head straight and there is a book stall right there with the statue shop to the left of it buy Historical Records, Later Han Dynasty. and History of Jin (the three purpleish books in spots to the right of the first book). Next take all 4 books to the Pawn Shop and trade them for the move scroll which you can now sell for $120.

Now while this is very tedious, the beauty in this is you can buy hundreds of these books, trade them indefinitely, and you'll net in excess of $100 per move scroll, downside is it gets anoying as you can only trade the sets for move scrolls one at a time so it's a lot of repeating the same motion over and over again but realistically it'll take about 10 minutes to get in excess of $36,000

Went for the 1,000 fish trophy, never had to worry about cash again.

Also went for the 500,000 tokens trophy; ended off with 60,000 Yuan that I didn't spend lol (AND I bought a ton of sillbooks, as opposed to exchanging them).

It's also worth noting that in S2, you have to earn $500 to buy into a series of fights that you have to win which, by the end, nets you $3000 (which has mysteriously disappeared in S3 along with half of Ryo's moves). As opposed to S3 where grinding for all that money to learn the 2 moves just gets you the 2 moves, which you can't even use during fights.

Went for the 1,000 fish trophy, never had to worry about cash again.
I only tried fishing a couple of times, how long does this take?

It's also worth noting that in S2, you have to earn $500 to buy into a series of fights that you have to win which, by the end, nets you $3000 (which has mysteriously disappeared in S3 along with half of Ryo's moves). As opposed to S3 where grinding for all that money to learn the 2 moves just gets you the 2 moves, which you can't even use during fights.

If you do it properly (there's a method!), 12 in-game days or so.

It doesn't take nearly as long as it sounds, but it is indeed a grind.

Besides the story, FFVIII is hated for it's garbage Draw and Junction system which ruined the gameplay.

RE4 was definitely not loved for it's story. In fact, the story was considered one of the few disappointments about the game when it came out.

RE4 was fun to play at the time and a nice departure from traditional RE gameplay, and the first half of the game isn't bad with the aesthetics, I didn't like when you go to the island though, RE6 got way to into almost being like a generic war game with the zombies with guns and all that

Besides the story, FFVIII is hated for it's garbage Draw and Junction system which ruined the gameplay.

RE4 was definitely not loved for it's story. In fact, the story was considered one of the few disappointments about the game when it came out.
My point was that games can have very similar gameplay mechanics but elicit very different responses depending on the context in which they're presented (as a response to why I like S2 and not S1), not that those games had good or bad stories.

There were parts in S2, both in HK and Kowloon where you were made to grind for money to advance the story too.
And there were the most boring parts in the whole franchise, I hate the Lucky Hit part time job and the crate moving. Yeah, you can save scum, but also you can do that in III

Why do people love Final Fantasy 7 and not 8? Why do people love Halo 3 and not Halo 4? Why do people love Resident Evil 4 and not Resident Evil 6? The context a game takes place within almost matters more than the actual gameplay mechanics.
You were the one to specifically call out the gameplay -- not the overall experience. You were downplaying the importance of gameplay to support your stance that Shenmue II's the best game because of its story, but then insinuated the gameplay is also better in II:

On its own the gameplay is nothing special. Especially in Shenmue 1 and 3...

Followed by examples of why the gameplay is nothing special: "...there's very little to do when it isn't tied to the story" and "all you do is walk around talking to people and sometimes performing minigames to earn money" -- examples that are just as true for II as they are for I and III (in fact, III has way more to do than I and II, but I digress).

So yes, I completely understand if someone prefers Shenmue II because of its atmosphere, story, its "context", but that wasn't what you were arguing in the post I quoted.

Second of all, how presumptuous is that? I like both aspects of Shenmue; when done well they work to strengthen all aspects of the game (finding the Wude in S2 leads to great story moments, has Ryo explore the map, slows the gameplay down for a good reason, and introduces cool characters), when done poorly (asking neighbors about a black car or asking villagers about thugs) it leads to wasted time as Ryo travels from objective to objective that we know isn't going to lead anywhere, so we're just waiting for the plot to correct itself (in S1 when Ryo gets the letter and in S3... uh... when Ryo goes to the castle?). All involve the player running around pressing A on things.
I'm not presuming anything, I'm literally going off the opinions you've posted on here: you don't think 1 is that good and you think 3 is terrible: both games sway heavily in the "life simulation" direction. You think they're slow, focus on the wrong things (side activities, talking to people) and waste the players' time. You even admit that 2 "wastes" the player's time too at points, and it's the "worst parts of the game"...it's pretty clear you just don't like one of the major aspects of the series, which is why you only really like one of the games in it. Not sure why you're not willing to admit that.

Last edited:
You were the one to specifically call out the gameplay -- not the overall experience. You were downplaying the importance of gameplay to support your stance that Shenmue II's the best game because of its story, but then insinuated the gameplay is also better in II:
I mean you literally quote me as saying "on its own the gameplay is nothing special" and I've said pretty much nothing but "all that matters in Shenmue is the story, that's the only reason to continue the series" and "why would you even want the series to continue if all you like is the gameplay? Suzuki could have made a spiritual sequel" etc. I even compared it to adventure games, which all basically share the exact same mechanics because those mechanics, and that genre, are primarily about telling a story. So where you're getting this notion that I'm saying S2 has fundamentally different gameplay from S1 is very mysterious to me, please quote me if I've said it. It's better because it doesn't waste your time (as much) but, as I said, at the end of the day, all 3 games are basically just running around pressing A on things and getting into fights.

So yes, I completely understand if someone prefers Shenmue II because of its atmosphere, story, its "context",
Then you understand me. The only difference is that I argue that the difference in context is the difference between a good game and a bad game.

but that wasn't what you were arguing in the post I quoted.
Yes it was. How you perfectly articulated what I was saying and then somehow told me I arrived at a different conclusion is beyond bizarre to me.

(in fact, III has way more to do than I and II, but I digress)
There's more to do in Wario Ware, does that make it the best game ever? More to do =/= good. Again, in my adventure game example I specifically call out adventure games that focus on gameplay gimmicks as being bad.

I'm not presuming anything, I'm literally going off the opinions you've posted on here: you don't think 1 is that good and you think 3 is terrible: both games sway heavily in the "life simulation" direction.
I meant to say this before but I'll say it now: Shenmue actually doesn't have that much "life simulation" to it apart from how time governs things and possibly the need to realistically earn money. It certainly doesn't amount to half the experience as you suggest. S3 adds the need for food but it's so haphazard that I would hardly count it as a "simulation": you eat bananas and garlic when your health is low. I wish Shenmue had more life sim to it, needing to cultivate relationships with the other characters, especially in S1 when Ryo could have to balance his normal life with his quest for revenge would make that game so much more personal and interesting. S3 makes vague gestures toward this with the Shenhua conversations but they don't amount to anything, the writing is bad, they repeat a lot of ground that was covered in S2, and the game abandons the concept halfway through.

Again, I would argue that S2 gets the life sim/story balance right; you have to air out books before you can continue your investigation, the need for money gets in the way of Ryo's quest for revenge, the practicality of finding one person in a huge city comes up several times, and the bond that's forged between Ren and Ryo is basically all due to them spending several days/weeks together going after a common enemy etc. S1 and 3 have far more isolated story moments that feel like they could happen at any time, rather than building off the fact that the world is "alive".

You even admit that 2 "wastes" the player's time too at points, and it's the "worst parts of the game"...it's pretty clear you just don't like one of the major aspects of the series, which is why you only really like one of the games in it. Not sure why you're not willing to admit that.
Yes, I don't like when games waste the player's time. That should be a pretty uncontroversial thing to say. If you consider "wasting the player's time" to be a "major" aspect of the series, then why do you like it?

Yes, I don't like when games waste the player's time. That should be a pretty uncontroversial thing to say. If you consider "wasting the player's time" to be a "major" aspect of the series, then why do you like it?

While I'd agree there's some clear padding going on in the Shenmue series (like the Forklift races in 1, did we really need mandatory daily races? How has someone not called Osha?) but for me, I enjoy those parts about as equal as I get annoyed for immersion's sake. Ryo left Japan with next to no money thanks to Ine-san and so of course, he'd have to scrounge up money to fund himself. One of my favorite mods for the Elder Scrolls games is when they'll make "real-life" mods where you have to eat daily, get sleep, hydrate, realistic weight limits to equipment and treasure it really puts me in the roleplaying mindset personally. But at the same time too, you can shut those off so it's not entirely the same

Just as before with the whole training thing, it's clear we fundamentally disagree on the importance of gameplay in this series. Even in adventure games, the gameplay is very important in my opinion, from Monkey Island to Shenmue, and I could argue the reasons for days, but I have no interest in doing that.

There's more to do in Wario Ware, does that make it the best game ever?
Yes, because I was clearly arguing that the amount of stuff in a game is the only way to judge its quality 🙄 C'mon dude.

I think there's value in providing more options to the player and allowing the player to approach things in their own way.

I very obviously put "wastes" in quotes because I don't actually agree with that. That'd be obvious if your main goal wasn't to twist my words into arguments I'm clearly not trying to make.

What you deem to be a waste of time, or filler, is not a universal truth, surprisingly.

Just as before with the whole training thing, it's clear we fundamentally disagree on the importance of gameplay in this series.
I actually have no idea what you consider to be important in terms of Shenmue's gameplay because you haven't articulated anything except to say you disagree with me. I've repeatedly reduced it to run around pressing A on things and getting into fights (somewhat sarcastically) but you're not painting a picture of the "depth" of the gameplay that I'm missing.

Even in adventure games, the gameplay is very important
I never said it wasn't important, only that it serves the story (ie: characters, plot, setting, tone etc.) and the two strengthen each other.

Yes, because I was clearly arguing that the amount of stuff in a game is the only way to judge its quality 🙄 C'mon dude.
You said: "examples of why the gameplay is nothing special: "...there's very little to do when it isn't tied to the story" and "all you do is walk around talking to people and sometimes performing minigames to earn money" -- examples that are just as true for II as they are for I and III (in fact, III has way more to do than I and II, but I digress)."

So if that isn't implying that S3 is better because it has more minigames then I don't actually know what you were driving at here.

I think there's value in providing more options to the player and allowing the player to approach things in their own way.
Totally agree, and Shenmue literally never does this. You can choose how you earn money, that's about it.

I very obviously put "wastes" in quotes because I don't actually agree with that. That'd be obvious if your main goal wasn't to twist my words into arguments I'm clearly not trying to make.

What you deem to be a waste of time, or filler, is not a universal truth, surprisingly.
So in Shenmue 1 (and parts of 3), when Ryo exhausts all there is to do and the only objective is "come back tomorrow" and you have several in game hours to kill, what would you call that? Or when the game just stops your progress and says "you now need X number of dollars to unlock the rest of the game", go play some minigames for a bit; that's what I consider to be a waste of time and you seem to consider a "major" aspect of the series, so my question is why? Is that part of the "life sim" element of Shenmue? Is it something you want to see more of from the series? Do you actually enjoy those parts?

Last edited:
While I'd agree there's some clear padding going on in the Shenmue series (like the Forklift races in 1, did we really need mandatory daily races? How has someone not called Osha?) but for me, I enjoy those parts about as equal as I get annoyed for immersion's sake. Ryo left Japan with next to no money thanks to Ine-san and so of course, he'd have to scrounge up money to fund himself. One of my favorite mods for the Elder Scrolls games is when they'll make "real-life" mods where you have to eat daily, get sleep, hydrate, realistic weight limits to equipment and treasure it really puts me in the roleplaying mindset personally. But at the same time too, you can shut those off so it's not entirely the same

Yeah, Ryo cashing out big in Kowloon only to be back to Shenmue 1 broke status at the beginning of 3 definitely is shitty. I understand because we need a reason to gamble and work but still, its like damn..... unless he lost most of his money while saving shenhua in the river

Back