Would you have accepted a third delay?

FRASIER

“I’m listening”
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Rocket League
................ based on what you've played.

Was this the best that Yu could have done?
Was he still being hurried along?
Did he have to cut corners?

After playing the Demo, I did made a thread that the game needed work. At least an extra year.
Sadly no budget for that through. The combat system and other areas needed more refinement.
The game was rushed in some areas sadly.

Wouldn't have made a difference because this games biggest problems are the combat and the story. A third delay wouldnt have made combat better and it wouldnt have suddenly given the scenario writers some basic talent.

Yea, would of been happy with another significant delay.

That ending has left a foul taste in my mouth...

Yu seemed to have run out of money and deadline pressures with no wiggle room for another delay appear to be the reason. I have a feeling he is well aware of the backlash and feels embarrassed. His team would of required at least another 8 months to polish and complete the ending properly

If Yu-san had the funds to keep going, I would have been happy with another delay. Granted for the most part the game is fantastic. Some extra time would might have allowed the castle portion of the game to be improved. If it was the case that Yu-san did not have the budget to record more dialogue, this may be the reason parts of the story felt light. In which case more time would not have helped matters unless he had the funds to back it up.

I wouldn’t have, being so close yet so far away to the release date was killing me.

I think people are a bit harsh about S3. This game is the result of fans banding together and funding a game that we thought wasn’t ever going to happen. Yeah it has hiccups, but it’s such a huge accomplishment.

I’m not sure how to explain this, but a lot of people weren’t happy with the ending, and I kind of expected it? I hated Shenmue 2’s ending/Guilin, once Ryo beats Dou Niu I start a new game because to me it ends at Kowloon. To be honest, I have yet to beat Shenmue 1. If there are things from two fully funded games that I have issues with, I assumed there’d be just as many with a Kickstarter game. I hope that makes sense.

I don't see what another delay could do, the gaemplay was on point IMO and the issues I had more were with the lack of progess to the sotry that Shenmue III has to offer. I would have liekd more scenes with Grandmaster Feng, Shiling & The commandant, because I feel there presence wasn't as big as I'd like. I feel Niao Sun should have been hbeen the main threat in the Niaowu section of the game instead of the Red Snakes (I know you could say she was in desguise but her presence in desguise wasn't well paced either - the only time she comes across as menacing is the last time in their hideout.

I honestly don't see what a delay could have done to improve the game. Plus the delay from August to November was already pushing most of our patience.

I wouldn’t have, being so close yet so far away to the release date was killing me.

I think people are a bit harsh about S3. This game is the result of fans banding together and funding a game that we thought wasn’t ever going to happen. Yeah it has hiccups, but it’s such a huge accomplishment.

I’m not sure how to explain this, but a lot of people weren’t happy with the ending, and I kind of expected it? I hated Shenmue 2’s ending/Guilin, once Ryo beats Dou Niu I start a new game because to me it ends at Kowloon. To be honest, I have yet to beat Shenmue 1. If there are things from two fully funded games that I have issues with, I assumed there’d be just as many with a Kickstarter game. I hope that makes sense.

Shenmue 1's ending was and still is the worst in the series. From a plot telling standpoint it made sense, but it's definitely the most anti-climatic out of the trio. Even with Shenmue III's ending being what it is.

I always thought shenmue 2 ending was weird I wanted more but imo should have ended that game after the dou niu fight.

I sorta agree with you. It wasn't until I played it the second time I started to appreciate the chill down portion of Guilin. It definitely broke the norm of what I was used to when it came to video game endings. But I wouldn't have had no problem with it ending at Dou Niu.

Before I started my playthrough of III. I ran through disk 4 of Part 2 and went directly in to III. So after about 15 hours I was ready to move on with the story and get out of Bailu Village.

Are you happy with the end product?

Yes I am very satisfied with the game. Does the game have some faults by 2019 standards? Yes. This game was made on a budget. You have to keep your expectations on check. For 10 million dollars (just guessing) we got a full Shenmue game with the full Shenmue experience.

Yes I am very satisfied with the game. Does the game have some faults by 2019 standards? Yes. This game was made on a budget. You have to keep your expectations on check. For 10 million dollars (just guessing) we got a full Shenmue game with the full Shenmue experience.
oh I absolutely agree. What they managed to create on such a meager budget is highly impressive.

Have you completed the game?

Back