Yu Suzuki Interview (IGN Japan): Reflections on S3, Plans for S4

I never said best looking game. I said best game. Where do you guys get that from? I said best game that simulates a living world. But not best looking game graphically.
I never said you said it was the best looking game; I know you were talking about how it simulates a living world. I used the term "the best looking game" as an example to disprove a point @Sput was making and he decided to get all pedantic about it. I will edit the original post so instead of saying "best looking game" it reflects the point you were making, even though that wasn't what was being discussed.

Last edited:
(EDIT) Of course Ren is Ryo's best friend (for the purposes of the story), he's the Han Solo to Ryo's Luke Skywalker.
Funny you should say that...
95467142_10222776133653169_8422381926303662080_o.jpg

How I feel about this whole thing, the interview is very positive, I like most of what Suzuki has to say, but I'm disappointed that he thought Shenmue III was what the fans wanted and that was his main goal, I think Shenmue III is what the CASUAL fans wanted "Lucky Hit, Arcades, silly voice acting, big Chinese city" all of that is what a loud Youtuber who's played Shenmue once thinks Shenmue is all about and unfortunately that seems to be all what Suzuki heard about what fans want and that might actually be fine, if it wasn't such a low budget version of those things on top of no story. If I'm gonna play Shenmue just for mainly it's side activities, It'd be much cooler if it was a AAA title with outstanding trail blazing graphics, cutscenes, voice acting and animations and if you can't provide that, I'm A OK with it, then make sure the story, gameplay and characters are pushed to the forefront instead and the last gen graphics and janky animations and even the janky combat wont bother me in the slightest.

I'm not saying we don't all want those things but I think most of us here can all agree those things were secondary and not what kept us all coming back for more. What we loved was the characters, the charm, the lore, the atmosphere, the legend, the music, the fighting, the attention to detail, the story, the way where if you search hard enough, till this very day, it is possible to find something new in Shenmue I & 2 which is borderline scary. We love all those things but those things are nothing without the main story and characters being the solid foundation, I think we've learnt that with Shenmue III, I said it at the end of my review as well Shenmue III felt like playing a tech demo where you get to do all the fun activities in the game but the meat of the game is not actually there. So it's disheartening Suzuki sacrificed the main course for just a plate full of side dishes because he thought that's what the fans wanted, hopefully now he understands that the side dishes without the main course still tastes decent but it still doesn't give you that magical TRUE Shenmue feel without the main course which was the story and characters.

How I feel about this whole thing, the interview is very positive, I like most of what Suzuki has to say, but I'm disappointed that he thought Shenmue III was what the fans wanted and that was his main goal, I think Shenmue III is what the CASUAL fans wanted "Lucky Hit, Arcades, silly voice acting, big Chinese city" all of that is what a loud Youtuber who's played Shenmue once thinks Shenmue is all about and unfortunately that seems to be all what Suzuki heard about what fans want and that might actually be fine, if it wasn't such a low budget version of those things on top of no story. If I'm gonna play Shenmue just for mainly it's side activities, It'd be much cooler if it was a AAA title with outstanding trail blazing graphics, cutscenes, voice acting and animations and if you can't provide that, I'm A OK with it, then make sure the story, gameplay and characters are pushed to the forefront instead and the last gen graphics and janky animations and even the janky combat wont bother me in the slightest.

I'm not saying we don't all want those things but I think most of us here can all agree those things were secondary and not what kept us all coming back for more. What we loved was the characters, the charm, the lore, the atmosphere, the legend, the music, the fighting, the attention to detail, the story, the way where if you search hard enough, till this very day, it is possible to find something new in Shenmue I & 2 which is borderline scary. We love all those things but those things are nothing without the main story and characters being the solid foundation, I think we've learnt that with Shenmue III, I said it at the end of my review as well Shenmue III felt like playing a tech demo where you get to do all the fun activities in the game but the meat of the game is not actually there. So it's disheartening Suzuki sacrificed the main course for just a plate full of side dishes because he thought that's what the fans wanted, hopefully now he understands that the side dishes without the main course still tastes decent but it still doesn't give you that magical TRUE Shenmue feel without the main course which was the story and characters.

856D08CE-2D92-421C-B0EB-CDB8713ED21E.gif

Certain characters have familial relations in all those games, sure.
Please describe in a way that illustrates how they do so in a way that's more comprehensive than the Shenmue series.

Go ahead and draw the family tree for all the NPCs in Niaowu.
Was that the bar that was set? I'm pretty sure it wasn't, but in any case, as an example, the father of the kid manning the Buddhist stall can be seen roaming around New Paradise, chatting it up with a lot of the female shop workers there, before 8pm.

This is highly subjective but I would suggest that, yes, RDR2, BotW, and especially GTA5 give the sense that things happen in the world regardless of the player (moreso than S3).
I'm not so sure about that:

Every single game I named does this in real time, as opposed to S3 which breaks up its nightly routines with a loading screen.

In GTA5 you can switch between 3 characters and sometimes they will be in the middle of a car chase, or buying something, or watching TV when you repossess them; they don't just wait around where you left them, for instance, in addition to the hundreds of other NPC routines. To say nothing of all the other stuff going on under the hood like weather, physics, wildlife, different biomes etc.

(EDIT) I'd just like to emphasize that I think these comparisons are unfair; S3 has no chance of approaching the standard set by GTA5 and its $250+ M budget but, seriously, what do you think they spent all that money on? Of course it's an insanely detailed open world with tons of simulations and lots going on.
You're sort of conflating a number of disparate ideas that don't really add up to what Shenmue does, though. If you can regularly pick out the same NPC, unique from all other NPCs in the game, observe how they go about their lives, and interact with most/all of them regularly (with fully voiced dialogue), then fair enough, but there's a difference between just a world of nameless, functionally faceless NPCs following routines, and having a world of unique people who can be checked up on as if they were real people.

I think Shenmue III is what the CASUAL fans wanted
Well, shit. Found out today that I'm a casual fan because Shenmue III exceeded my expectations, and was actually a full Shenmue game. You got me there.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that he thought Shenmue III was what the fans wanted and that was his main goal, I think Shenmue III is what the CASUAL fans wanted "Lucky Hit, Arcades, silly voice acting, big Chinese city" all of that is what a loud Youtuber who's played Shenmue once thinks Shenmue is all about

Please describe in a way that illustrates how they do so in a way that's more comprehensive than the Shenmue series.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you want to say that everyone has a name and a relation in Bailu Village and Yokosuka, that's one thing, but compare Hong Kong, Kowloon, and Niaowu and that detail quickly falls apart. GTA5 takes place in fictional LA so no, not everyone can be tracked.

Was that the bar that was set? I'm pretty sure it wasn't, but in any case, as an example, the father of the kid manning the Buddhist stall can be seen roaming around New Paradise, chatting it up with a lot of the female shop workers there, before 8pm.
I'm not sure what bar was set; you mentioned the family structures of the citizens, obviously that doesn't apply to all the NPCs in GTA as it doesn't apply to all the NPCs in Niaowu. In most open world games, you can find side characters all over the map.

You're sort of conflating a number of disparate ideas that don't really add up to what Shenmue does, though. If you can regularly pick out the same NPC, unique from all other NPCs in the game, observe how they go about their lives, and interact with most/all of them regularly (with fully voiced dialogue), then fair enough, but there's a difference between just a world of nameless, functionally faceless NPCs following routines, and having a world of unique people who can be checked up on as if they were real people.
This is a fair point but surely scale needs to be taken into account. Majora's Mask can be said to check most of these boxes but I wouldn't call it an amazing simulation of life. You're placing a lot of emphasis on NPCs (which Shenmue, particularly S1, does really well) but what about all the other aspects that make game worlds feel alive? The way nature, physics, and wildlife is simulated in BotW brings that world to life in ways Shenmue can't touch. In GTA you can make it anywhere on the map, drive any vehicle, cause as much chaos wherever/whenever you want, and the world reacts to you providing freedom and interactivity that Shenmue doesn't (to say nothing of the sheer size of the thing). I don't think you can dismiss all the ways that games have advanced in areas that Shenmue chooses not to focus on completely out of hand just because they don't emphasize talking to NPCs. And if it's NPCs you like, have you ever played the Sims? Or Animal Crossing? Those also do a pretty good job of simulating life.

I'm not taking anything away from Shenmue: it's great; I just happen to think that the rest of the games industry isn't still lagging behind a 20 year old Dreamcast game (we're kinda lumping S3 with the entire series now, which is fine). Even games like Hitman and Deus Ex offer up a depth to NPC interaction and how it affects the game world in truly inventive ways. There are a lot of great, living game worlds out there that have made huge advances; hopefully Suzuki takes some notes because acting like Shenmue has it all figured out isn't going to result an a better game (and even if you love S3, I assume you want S4 to be better).

Last edited:

Again, not bashing the guy, but this seemed to be (IIRC, correct me if wrong) all what EDIT** Ryan Paton wanted and I still can't help but think that he either got in Suzuki's head a bit too much or became one of said, "loud voices."

Then again, if everyone remembers the KS poll results, everybody voted for forklifts and Lucky Hit, while darts was completely unwanted.

Not to divide casual and hardcore, but I personally think that simply the WRONG group of fans were made to be heard the loudest... which is what many of us have already pointed out.

Last edited:
Well, shit. Found out today that I'm a casual fan because Shenmue III exceeded my expectations, and was actually a full Shenmue game. You got me there.

No seriously, you really thought Shenmue III was a FULL Shenmue experience? Comparable to Shenmue 1 & 2? reAALLy?
Each to their own I guess.

@Truck_1_0_1_
To try to define Adam as a casual fan would be like trying to say to me that Shenmue III was a full Shenmue experience. Adam and most huge fans of Shenmue, I believe love more or less the same things about the game but we all see those same things differently; some people see the story and characters as the meat of Shenmue where as others see the game world and activities of Shenmue as the meat, I personally think you need both for a true Shenmue experience, one doesn't work without the other and I think Adam and others such as Peter or James Reiner who probably love Shenmue III perfectly fine still see this too but like you pointed out, the problem lies where even the huge fans might've, and we'd be guilty of this too, in the heat of the moment they might've communicated the more prominent and popular talking points of what makes a Shenmue game in a similar way an IGN journalist might to Suzuki and with that Suzuki thought he knew what fans wanted. Ironically, from what I've seen the majority of big Shenmue fans; on the dojo and in the facebook group, they have given mostly negative feedback about the game and the casuals on youtube and gaming journo's seem to love the game for what it is or at least accept it by saying things like "well it definitely feels like Shenmue" it irks me when I see that being said everywhere because to me Shenmue III doesn't feel like Shenmue, certain parts of it does but if it felt like Shenmue, I know I would've loved it rather than just thought it was ok.

Maybe now Suzuki wants to do his own thing, and appeal to the "casuals" maybe the irony will be complete and he'll end up making the Shenmue game the hardcore fans actually wanted in the first place lol and he's had practice and has the assets from SIII, Shenmue 4 will be the TRUE sequel we've been waiting for.
20 million is no joke, my tin foil hat theory of Yu holding back some funds and story for Shenmue 4 is starting to feel less tin foiley.

Last edited:
Will it? Shenmue 3 had a barebones story. I doubt anyone thought we'd have such little progression with S3 after all this time. The concern regarding story progression comes from the lack of progression in 3, so the concern is certainly justified.

Did you even read the interview? Yu literally says we'll get answers in Shenmue 4.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you want to say that everyone has a name and a relation in Bailu Village and Yokosuka, that's one thing, but compare Hong Kong, Kowloon, and Niaowu and that detail quickly falls apart.
Literally every NPC in Hong Kong, Kowloon, and I'm sure even Niaowu, has a name, and background data. Those details don't necessarily come out within the context of the game, but they can be felt in the way the world is constructed. (They're also listed in guide books.)

I'm not sure what bar was set; you mentioned the family structures of the citizens, obviously that doesn't apply to all the NPCs in GTA as it doesn't apply to all the NPCs in Niaowu. In most open world games, you can find side characters all over the map.
I'm pretty sure the criterion was whether or not these newer games surpassed Shenmue in these areas, so Shenmue doesn't need to have relational background details for every character, those other games would have to have more than Shenmue does.

And if it's NPCs you like, have you ever played the Sims? Or Animal Crossing? Those also do a pretty good job of simulating life.
Dude, come on, this is not the same thing, and you know it. I'm not going to knock either of those games, but they only contain one or two facets of what makes up the Shenmue experience. (However, yes, I have made perfect towns in the original Animal Crossing, and City Folk, but that's really neither here nor there.)

what about all the other aspects that make game worlds feel alive? The way nature, physics, and wildlife is simulated in BotW brings that world to life in ways Shenmue can't touch. In GTA you can make it anywhere on the map, drive any vehicle, cause as much chaos wherever/whenever you want, and the world reacts to you providing freedom and interactivity that Shenmue doesn't (to say nothing of the sheer size of the thing). I don't think you can dismiss all the ways that games have advanced in areas that Shenmue chooses not to focus on completely out of hand just because they don't emphasize talking to NPCs.

I'm not taking anything away from Shenmue: it's great; I just happen to think that the rest of the games industry isn't still lagging behind a 20 year old Dreamcast game (we're kinda lumping S3 with the entire series now, which is fine). Even games like Hitman and Deus Ex offer up a depth to NPC interaction and how it affects the game world in truly inventive ways. There are a lot of great, living game worlds out there that have made huge advances; hopefully Suzuki takes some notes because acting like Shenmue has it all figured out isn't going to result an a better game (and even if you love S3, I assume you want S4 to be better).
Sure, I don't really disagree. Newer AAA games probably are more technically advanced in terms of superficial world details. The point that I think has already been driven home, that you keep dancing around, is that there aren't really any other games that provide the full package that Shenmue does. You can poke, and prod at a couple of aspects of it until the cows come home, but what I'm pretty sure @9dragons was originally getting at was the singular nature of Shenmue's design philosophy, and how that translates to game worlds that can't be experienced elsewhere. Me-too AAAs are a dime a dozen. Shenmue does not need to be one of them.

Truly. I've pretty well convinced myself at this point that there's a contingent of people who are unable to reconcile the idea that their enduring love for the first two games is more a product of nostalgia than actually still aligning with what they consider to be a "good" game these days, because these:
What we loved was the characters, the charm, the lore, the atmosphere, the legend, the music, the fighting, the attention to detail, the story, the way where if you search hard enough, till this very day, it is possible to find something new in Shenmue I & 2 which is borderline scary.
were all still a part of Shenmue III. Doesn't matter to me if SIII is anyone's least favorite in the series, but I don't see any other way to reason the gulf some people perceive between them.

And the dress was actually, factually, blue with black stripes.

Last edited:

No seriously, you really thought Shenmue III was a FULL Shenmue experience? Comparable to Shenmue 1 & 2? reAALLy?
Each to their own I guess.

@Truck_1_0_1_
To try to define Adam as a casual fan would be like trying to say to me that Shenmue III was a full Shenmue experience. Adam and most huge fans of Shenmue, I believe love more or less the same things about the game but we all see those same things differently; some people see the story and characters as the meat of Shenmue where as others see the game world and activities of Shenmue as the meat, I personally think you need both for a true Shenmue experience, one doesn't work without the other and I think Adam and others such as Peter or James Reiner who probably love Shenmue III perfectly fine still see this too but like you pointed out, the problem lies where even the huge fans might've, and we'd be guilty of this too, in the heat of the moment they might've communicated the more prominent and popular talking points of what makes a Shenmue game in a similar way an IGN journalist might to Suzuki and with that Suzuki thought he knew what fans wanted. Ironically, from what I've seen the majority of big Shenmue fans; on the dojo and in the facebook group, they have given mostly negative feedback about the game and the casuals on youtube and gaming journo's seem to love the game for what it is or at least accept it by saying things like "well it definitely feels like Shenmue" it irks me when I see that being said everywhere because to me Shenmue III doesn't feel like Shenmue, certain parts of it does but if it felt like Shenmue, I know I would've loved it.

Maybe now Suzuki wants to do his own thing, and he's had practice and has the assets with from SIII, Shenmue 4 will be the TRUE sequel we've been waiting for.
20 million is no joke, my tin foil hat theory of Yu holding back some funds and story for Shenmue 4 is starting to feel less tin foiley.

Oh, I know he DEFINITELY isn't (he's the, "leader," of the superfans lol), but for some reason, I remember him being one of the biggest supporters of all the extra crud that many of us on here lamented; again, please correct me if I'm wrong, as it isn't my intention to besmirch anyone.

FTR (and I've stated this in many places, including my reviews), I absolutely don't mind all the extra crud; I partook in it immensely, like I always had in the first two games as well, but I knew well and good when I was grinding out the move scroll trophy, that this would turn off a ton of people and it was just... too much.

Things weren't balanced as they could've/should've been and while not a bad thing for some (me), it was a bad thing for many (see this thread).

As Pete Townshend penned, "Too much of anything, is too much for me. Too much of everything, gets too much for me." ;)

Oh, I know he DEFINITELY isn't (he's the, "leader," of the superfans lol), but for some reason, I remember him being one of the biggest supporters of all the extra crud that many of us on here lamented; again, please correct me if I'm wrong, as it isn't my intention to besmirch anyone.

FTR (and I've stated this in many places, including my reviews), I absolutely don't mind all the extra crud; I partook in it immensely, like I always had in the first two games as well, but I knew well and good when I was grinding out the move scroll trophy, that this would turn off a ton of people and it was just... too much.

Things weren't balanced as they could've/should've been and while not a bad thing for some (me), it was a bad thing for many (see this thread).

As Pete Townshend penned, "Too much of anything, is too much for me. Too much of everything, gets too much for me." ;)
Agreed but to be fair to Adam and the like, we asked for that "extra crud" because like I said earlier Shenmue is both story and character as well as mini games, activities and slice of life (I actually felt the slice of life was a bit lacking in 3) we had no doubts the story and character would be taken care of that's probably why so many of us pushed for the crud because we thought it would get left on the wayside since common sense would tell you; story and character would come first, boy were in for a shock. We forced Suzuki's hand and the poor man thought he was just giving us what we wanted but we got it at the cost of the story and characters.

I think if grinding 5000 and 2000 got you something other than a move scroll you can only use in cutscenes it would've been less painful and feel more earned. Would've been nice to maybe get something like a super powerful move that you can use to take down even some of the toughest fighters in the rose garden or how about if we had to grind to get money to enter a fighting tournament or something that we needed to win to progress the story, that to me feels more satisfactory because it feels believable and it's something you always see in fiction "we need the money to win this tournament/competition dude" everyone can identify with that, rather than an ambiguous move scroll. So many ways grinding could've been implemented in the story that didn't feel cheap. What I missed about Suzuki was the way he'd use creative ways to explain gameplay or status changes which immersed you into the world more, he wanted us to start from scratch in Shenmue 2 so he made us get robbed rather than forcing the Ryo to start with 0 dollars which he easily could've done. He wanted us to get used to the directional QTE's so that we wouldn't smash our Dreamcasts when we got to the Ghost Hall buildings (we still did) so he made us carry books for Xuiying. Shenmue 3 felt too gamey compared to Shenmue 1 & 2 IMO.

Rydeen said:
And the dress was actually, factually, blue with black stripes.
This is the only thing we agree on so far. Lol

I could tell you why I think you're wrong but this looks like one of those agree to disagree moments 'cos it's purely subjective alie?

Literally every NPC in Hong Kong, Kowloon, and I'm sure even Niaowu, has a name, and background data. Those details don't necessarily come out within the context of the game, but they can be felt in the way the world is constructed. (They're also listed in guide books.)
I would say with almost 99% certainty that this is not true of Niaowu simply because it's impractical to make games like that anymore given the advances in technology. S1 and 2 were basically 100% handcrafted experiences; no one does that anymore because it's too time consuming, there are better methods, and, as you point out, those are the kinds of details that are lost on most players. It's just not worth it.

I'm pretty sure the criterion was whether or not these newer games surpassed Shenmue in these areas, so Shenmue doesn't need to have relational background details for every character, those other games would have to have more than Shenmue does.
As far as I can tell the criterion is "best simulation of life", which is pretty broad and you're choosing to narrow to "named NPCs" for some reason.

Newer AAA games probably are more technically advanced in terms of superficial world details. The point that I think has already been driven home, that you keep dancing around, is that there aren't really any other games that provide the full package that Shenmue does. You can poke, and prod at a couple of aspects of it until the cows come home, but what I'm pretty sure @9dragons was originally getting at was the singular nature of Shenmue's design philosophy, and how that translates to game worlds that can't be experienced elsewhere. Me-too AAAs are a dime a dozen.
This is what I'm talking about. We all think Shenmue is special, obviously, but that doesn't mean that no game has surpassed it. It's such an elitist worldview as if no game could come close to what Shenmue did and everything that tries is just superficially emulating it. As if no other game has any attention to detail and they're all made by a bunch of hacks. That's just not how it is. AAA gaming today is a fucking miracle; every time I look at a video of Uncharted or Spider-Man PS4, my inner 10 year old creams his jeans. And Shenmue was basically the first ultra budget AAA game; it paved the way for the kinds of graphics and spectacles we currently enjoy.

Truly. I've pretty well convinced myself at this point that there's a contingent of people who are unable to reconcile the idea that their enduring love for the first two games is more a product of nostalgia than actually still aligning with what they consider to be a "good" game these days,
I’m pretty immune to nostalgia and I could say the exact same thing about people who love S3. Worse combat, stupid stamina, grindy mini games and an almost nonexistent storyline with no villains, and an almost total lack of the supernatural/mystical made it virtually indistinguishable from S2 and I am truly baffled that anyone could consider it a worthy follow up. How is that nostalgia? S2 has flaws but nothing approaching S3’s laundry list.

What I want to hear about is what the ultimate goal is. Is the goal to move the story forward, to reveal some of the mystery, or is it to make a casual exploration game filled with casual mini games? Animal Crossing is a casual meandering game where you do menial tasks (and I like that series), but that's not what Shenmue has ever meant to me. The story is the primary focus, and what's built around that is secondary. All the mini games and interactions are fun but they aren't the primary focus.

20200504_192303.jpg

Those things should have been in Shenmue 3. One of the main defenses on this forum regarding S3 is that it's an in-between chapter and the focus is on getting to know Shenhua. So why hold out on getting to know Shenhua when the focus is on Shenhua?

I mean, if there was ever an opportunity to get to know more about Ren and Shenhua, Shenmue 3 was it. It's not like anything else was going on, and we were already in Bailu.

I just have a hard time believing that the the story is going to be cranked up from next to nothing in S3, to something significant in S4, especially when budget is so frequently brought up as to why S3 was so limited. If 20 million wasn't enough to get the story rolling, what kind of budget is S4 going to get to make it happen?

The problem with this is that he said a similar thing about S3. Plot points like the prophecy, the mirrors, the second Shenmue tree should have been explained in Bailu. The mirrors, the prophecy and the Shenmue trees are from Bailu. Also it's Shenny's home. Where would have been a better place to explain those things?
Shenmue 4

So we're going to learn about things from Bailu on the Great Wall or some other place in China?

That doesn't seem too practical to me at the first glance. Also Shenny's stepfather probably won't be there with Ryo. The Shenmue trees are probably only in Bailu, the people who know about the friendship between Iwao and Sunming are probably in Bailu. Again, I'd love to be proven wrong but it just doesn't seem to make much sense to explain these things in other places than Bailu.

So we're going to learn about things from Bailu on the Great Wall or some other place in China?

That doesn't seem too practical to me at the first glance. Also Shenny's stepfather probably won't be there with Ryo. The Shenmue trees are probably only in Bailu, the people who know about the friendship between Iwao and Sunming are probably in Bailu. Again, I'd love to be proven wrong but it just doesn't seem to make much sense to explain these things in other places than Bailu.
I agree it would make some sense to get some of these answers in bailu but I feel like the only person who could have provide these was probably Shenhua's father? Unfortunately he was kicking it in jail while we were in bailu lol.

Reading the Yu's interviews since 2015 helped me to speak Yu fluently.

If Yu says the story will move forward, you can be pretty sure of it. It's rather the obvious things he doesn't mention we can be concerned about. Suppose Yu doesn't talk about NPCs, you never know they are going to be there eventually.

With Yu, the read is not so much about "what is Shenmue 4 going to be" but rather "what is Shenmue 4 not going to be" lol.

Back