An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I beg to differ. Most animes have a generic plot running throughout them, but they are much deeper than that

Naruto - He wants to be Hokage
Dragonball Z - Find all 7 Dragonballs and make a wish
One Piece - Find the one piece treasure
Shenmue - Boy want's revenge

These plot runs throughout these series, but the story in between is much deeper and grander than what it appears to be on the surface.
Well the ones you listed there are just generic battle shonen, plot is irrelevant in those....

With all the recent events I'd also bet to a manga or, at most, an anime. Which could be perceived as "bigger than a novel" by the teaser. And it would make sense for Shibuya Productions to produce.

The idea of Shenmue continuations being announced as episodic content instead of a straight Shenmue IV would be wonderful, but I think that could be perceived as bigger than an actual Shenmue IV, though (it would warranty the rest of the full story, not another chunk). And it doesn't fit Yu Suzuki's style of doing things, because he has shown being more interested in introducing new systems and minigames rather than on story. And every numbered installment gives him the chance to do so. Maybe he has realized two more numbered installments aren't possible, though.

Personally, I want Shenmue 4 or bust ideally. It's clearly not that so episodic would be ideal if it's something transitioning to Shenmue 4 or possibly the Baisha part of Shenmue 3 that was left out. A prequel Shenmue Zero sounds nice, but that's something I'd rather see after 4 and 5 are completed and the story has been finished. We've waited 21 years so far for a conclusion, I don't want to see anymore detours or short-changing the story progress like what happened in Shenmue 3.
Personally, if for whatever reason the Shenmue franchise cannot be completed in video game form, I have no desire to see a anime/manga/comic adaptation as I can't stand any of those forms of media to begin with. If we can't play it to completion and the franchise has to go to waste, I'd rather just read what's left of the script no matter how bland and boring compared to experiencing it, just to at least know how it concludes and what happens with Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di.
I agree with all of this in sentiment, but these detours that you speak of might prove to be a means to an end.

I don’t know how well Shenmue 3 actually performed, but the comments from the publisher about it being a niche product that is difficult to sell to the mass market suggest that Shenmue is not a particularly attractive proposition to publishers.

If Yu can’t secure funding from publishers and is reluctant to turn to crowdfunding again, slowly milking the remaining fan base with spin-offs and DLC might be the only way that he can ever fund Shenmue 4.

If he does that with engaging content that expands or explains the lore or story of the series in any way then I’m totally on board with that. Unless it’s an anime. Then I’m out.

Well the person who posted the rumor says it’s smaller than Shenmue 4, but bigger than a novel. Whatever that means.

With all the recent events I'd also bet to a manga or, at most, an anime. Which could be perceived as "bigger than a novel" by the teaser. And it would make sense for Shibuya Productions to produce.

The idea of Shenmue continuations being announced as episodic content instead of a straight Shenmue IV would be wonderful, but I think that could be perceived as bigger than an actual Shenmue IV, though (it would warranty the rest of the full story, not another chunk). And it doesn't fit Yu Suzuki's style of doing things, because he has shown being more interested in introducing new systems and minigames rather than on story. And every numbered installment gives him the chance to do so. Maybe he has realized two more numbered installments aren't possible, though.
That and hopefully Yu Suzuki heard all of the fans complaints about how Shenmue 3 had about 1 hour of story progression from start to finish. The fans that funded Shenmue 3 and waited patiently for 18 years were vocal about not wanting to see the beautiful story sacrificed on the altar of more forklifts, gambling games and side distractions. That stuff is ok as long as it doesn't burn up resources for story progress, but unfortunately with Shenmue 3 it did. I like Yu's desire to do things thoroughly but it's still a business world and Shenmue is not a hot franchise sadly. At Sega he had that jerk who created the Yakuza games babysitting him and pushing him to finish up 1 & 2 quicker on behalf of Sega and that's when he was given a budget with a major company. Now, it's a budget title so I feel episodic stuff would be more practical to conclude the story. I'd much prefer a full blown 60 hour Shenmue 4 to finish the story(forget 5, just give us a conclusion already, no matter how lengthy) but episodic gameplay would be sufficient if 4 can't be funded.

I agree with all of this in sentiment, but these detours that you speak of might prove to be a means to an end.

I don’t know how well Shenmue 3 actually performed, but the comments from the publisher about it being a niche product that is difficult to sell to the mass market suggest that Shenmue is not a particularly attractive proposition to publishers.

If Yu can’t secure funding from publishers and is reluctant to turn to crowdfunding again, slowly milking the remaining fan base with spin-offs and DLC might be the only way that he can ever fund Shenmue 4.

If he does that with engaging content that expands or explains the lore or story of the series in any way then I’m totally on board with that. Unless it’s an anime. Then I’m out.
If Shenmue 4 can't be funded then I'm totally down for him splitting what's left of Shenmue(4 and 5 plans)into episodic game releases so we can finally see a conclusion and entirely eliminating forklifts, gambling and any other side distractions that take up money and resources when there's next to no budget. I love the exploration for the Shenmue games, but I'd be willing to settle for a very very well done story reveal to its conclusion with a little more AAA title style streamlined game experience that is loaded with cutscenes and less exploration options. I'd be heartbreaking to not get another real Shenmue game, but this is still better than comic books or cartoons. Besides, Yu spoke about how Shenmue 4 if it were to come out would introduce new elements that are more mainstream to appeal to average gamers rather than just the fan base. He really missed the mark with Shenmue 3 by moving the story at a snails pace and focusing on mini games.

If Shenmue 4 can't be funded then I'm totally down for him splitting what's left of Shenmue(4 and 5 plans)into episodic game releases so we can finally see a conclusion and entirely eliminating forklifts, gambling and any other side distractions that take up money and resources when there's next to no budget. I love the exploration for the Shenmue games, but I'd be willing to settle for a very very well done story reveal to its conclusion with a little more AAA title style streamlined game experience that is loaded with cutscenes and less exploration options.
How do you know that this is the type of game that Yu would want to create? Whilst I do think that the story of Shenmue is important to him, I always got the impression that Yu was more interested in treading new ground and trying new things. I also get the impression that his continued efforts to conclude the series are as much for himself as they are for the series’ fans.

Smaller than Shenmue IV, but bigger than a novel.

Only three scenarios for me--DLC for Shenmue III that bridges a gap to make IV, episodic content or some type of anime.

On another note, birdies pass things from one insider to another. Whether or not what they say is a red herring depends on how much of an NDA there is or risk of exposure for the leak. Could be Shenmue IV and it's a red herring to stir the pot.

Very good ideas!
And/or they could add more of these flashbacks like in Shenmue 1.
Like they could show flashbacks of Ryo's mother. We never saw her. I would love to see how she looked like.
For example. A flashback scene of young Iwao and how he met Ryo's mother where we see how she's holding the little dyper-version of Ryo in her arms (ofcourse with a band aid on his face ;)). Also more about how she died (I don't remember this ever have been explained) where you could see a scene where Iwao and Ryo is talking about her personality/her death while fishing at the harbour. Or something..

Yeah, there are so many possibilities. I've thought about making this a thread to share more ideas.
Please make this thread and share your ideas, i will share my ideas too. :giggle: Shenmue 0 is a amazing idea, would be nice to talk about that more in a specific thread for this.

Do we have any Discord channel? Would be great for this evening!
We don't, it's something that we've discussed but hasn't got off the ground as yet. To be continued I think is the phrase for the moment.

That's a bit worrisome... Sounds like it could possibly be something Sega, rather than YsNet, related. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back