An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing i fear is if we get another Shenmue online situation where fans revolted because they wanted Shenmue 3.

A anime adaptation of Shenmue 1 2 and 3 would be a good safe bet on their part. But if they were to come out and say Shenmue 4's story would be partially in anime form, I think fans would rebel.

Haha, i hear ya, but i kinda like it. It reminds me of the build up to Shenmue 3 when we were anxiously digging around for clues, guessing and pulling our hair out. Despite all the flaws with the Kickstarter, and there were many, I really enjoyed the journey from announcement to release. It was probably my favorite part. I think the community thrives when we're in these types of situations.

Haha yeah. I remember E3 2015 like it was yesterday. I had given up so much on Shemmue, that even though the clues were right there staring at us right in our faces, I just ignored it all and expected nothing as per usual. I even went to bed expecting little from Sony's E3 event, too disinterested to stay to watch it, and woke up the next day incredibly casual about the whole thing. I thought I'd read one of the boards I frequent to see if anything of interest was shown...

First I saw The Last Guardian was re-revealed. "Awesome" I thought. Shadow of the Colossus was one of my favourite games of all time, so I was pleased the team's new game was finally going to be released.

Then I saw Final Fantasy VII Remake. "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!"

And then after I collect myself and read through everyone's excitement about that, I saw a couple of people fucking CASUALLY talking about Shenmue 3 being announced and talking about how it's pretty cool it's finally happening. "Pretty cool", I thought? HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS SHENMUE 3 is the reaction I had.

That was the best day ever man.

Interesting take. I'm enjoying this speculation. It's like 2015 all over again

No, sorry this isn't it. He has already said it's not Shenmue 4. I also don't know why he would say within the next few weeks if it's something being revealed at Gamescom. He would know Gamescom is this week and if it was being announced then.

Let's not get too hyped. To me it seems clear it's not Shenmue 4 and it's not something being announced at Gamescom, otherwise he would have just gone with "soon" instead of "weeks".

Haha yeah. I remember E3 2015 like it was yesterday. I had given up so much on Shemmue, that even though the clues were right there staring at us right in our faces, I just ignored it all and expected nothing as per usual. I even went to bed expecting little from Sony's E3 event, too disinterested to stay to watch it, and woke up the next day incredibly casual about the whole thing. I thought I'd read one of the boards I frequent to see if anything of interest was shown...

First I saw The Last Guardian was re-revealed. "Awesome" I thought. Shadow of the Colossus was one of my favourite games of all time, so I was pleased the team's new game was finally going to be released.

Then I saw Final Fantasy VII Remake. "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!"

And then after I collect myself and read through everyone's excitement about that, I saw a couple of people fucking CASUALLY talking about Shenmue 3 being announced and talking about how it's pretty cool it's finally happening. "Pretty cool", I thought? HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS SHENMUE 3 is the reaction I had.

That was the best day ever man.

I remember I was at work and fell off my chair during the announcement. I was hyped up to the max throughout the following few days. My colleagues thought i was on something lol

Actually it wasn't a joke. But sort of a dream baked into a joke :D
I totally agree with you.
And I'd like to add that a prequel would be the absolute best way to return to the world of Shenmue 1 in a new package. I have, for a while, been thinking about how the story could play out in Shenmue 0:

Ryo would still be going to school, where his relationship with Nozomi was better. At this time, before Iwao's death. We would see a different Ryo. Not as stuck in the future, not full of questions and anger. This Ryo is a little happier, more in the present moment. We can maybe see how Ryo and Tom met for the first time - and how Ryo got along with his other friends.

But there would be other problems. Maybe some gang, thugs and maybe even something that is related to the Chi You Men but not directly.

Ryo would wake up in the same room as in Sh 1, go to school and spend some time there. A little bit like Persona 5, but different.

Here Ryo have the same Yokosuka, Dobuita, Harbour and so forth but everything is slightly different.
The movie theatre, that were under some building work in Shenmue 1 could be open and functional in Shenmue 0.
My idea is that either Ryo fight the bad guys in there, or maybe Ryo goes there with Nozomi to watch a movie when suddenly there's a fire and smoke start to spread out, because of a thug taking revenge on Ryo for beating his thug friends ass.
Or something better then that! -But something that explains why it's closed and under re-construction in Shemmue 1.

In this Shenmue 0 world, you could actually visit Nozomi's house and spend time with her, in a similar way you do with Shenhua in Sh III. As you could not do that in the original Shenmue 1. I always thought when playing the original ´Where does Nozomi live and why can't I visit her?´, such a wasted opportunity in my opinion. We all love Nozomi. I would love to know more about her.

We could get to know Iwao more, what his personality was like, and to see how he raised Ryo into the person he is "today".

We could experience more funny/stupid momets with Fuku-san. Who knows, maybe Fuku-san got that Pig Money Box from Ine-san on his birthday just to learn how to save money.

In my opinion, this is the absolute only way for Ryo to "return to japan" because I think he won't do that in Shenmue IV or V.
This is all just me dreaming again. But if this was possible, if SEGA could make a prequel, having YS's right to use the Shenmue III model for Ryo and some other assets, then this prequel could possibly lay ground for a remake of Shenmue 1 and even

I know this is nearly impossible but I love these kind of ideas.

Yeah that would be awesome :love:

I agree, Shenmue 0 would be the only way to see Japan again.

Also it could be something like The Karate Kid, where the Ryo's goal in Shenmue 0 would be to win the tournament that took place just before the beginning og Shenmue 1, the one that left the little bruise/scar on his face (confirmed by Yu).

Also they could use the old idea to have Ryo growing during the chapters, we could start as 10 year "baby boy Ryo" lol until he become 18 years old.

So many possibilities...

No, sorry this isn't it. He has already said it's not Shenmue 4. I also don't know why he would say within the next few weeks if it's something being revealed at Gamescom. He would know Gamescom is this week and if it was being announced then.

Let's not get too hyped. To me it seems clear it's not Shenmue 4 and it's not something being announced at Gamescom, otherwise he would have just gone with "soon" instead of "weeks".
Part of me agrees with this logic, but then I’d also guess that this is probably third or fourth hand information. It’s very possibly a case of him being told ‘soon’ and writing ‘the next few weeks’ in his initial tweet to cover his bases.

No idea. I'm just adding fuel to the speculation here. Just someones viewpoint that's all.

I remember I was at work and fell off my chair during the announcement. I was hyped up to the max throughout the following few days. My colleagues thought i was on something lol
I had regularly been searching for ´Shenmue III´ news on the internet for about 13-14 years, with absolutely zero results. And then at one point I searched as usual, and I got the answer in 2015.

It's one of those surreal moments where you realize that things are worth hoping for, even the most unreal things can happen.
And it happened, in unreal engine 4.

IF its revealed at the Gamescom opening show AND published by Deep Silver,
it only can be a game because Deep Silver is the gaming division of Koch Media.
Deep Silver is not a publisher for books or stuff like this

BUT
i doubt that there will be a opening night show reveal
because Deep Silver already revealed upcoming new games at the digital E3 thing two months ago.
Is a AA publisher going to reveal brand new upcoming games two times in one year
and after they just revealed new games two months ago? Nah, i dont think so.

Yeah that would be awesome :love:

I agree, Shenmue 0 would be the only way to see Japan again.

Also it could be something like The Karate Kid, where the Ryo's goal in Shenmue 0 would be to win the tournament that took place just before the beginning og Shenmue 1, the one that left the little bruise/scar on his face (confirmed by Yu).

Also they could use the old idea to have Ryo growing during the chapters, we could start as 10 year "baby boy Ryo" lol until he become 18 years old.

So many possibilities...
Very good ideas!
And/or they could add more of these flashbacks like in Shenmue 1.
Like they could show flashbacks of Ryo's mother. We never saw her. I would love to see how she looked like.
For example. A flashback scene of young Iwao and how he met Ryo's mother where we see how she's holding the little dyper-version of Ryo in her arms (ofcourse with a band aid on his face ;)). Also more about how she died (I don't remember this ever have been explained) where you could see a scene where Iwao and Ryo is talking about her personality/her death while fishing at the harbour. Or something..

Yeah, there are so many possibilities. I've thought about making this a thread to share more ideas.

In my opinion, a DLC continuing the story of 3 would be amazing, even if is linear. The free part of the game is already made very well, the only important thing missing is more story, with that, the game would be perfect.

In my opinion, a DLC continuing the story of 3 would be amazing, even if is linear. The free part of the game is already made very well, the only important thing missing is more story, with that, the game would be perfect.
Would you really want a smaller DLC portion to cover Cliff Mountain segment which the ending of 3 hints to though? I kind of want the next area to be quite substantial in size and content really - Which Shenmue 3 succeeded with IMO, despite Niaowu's repetitive structure.

Would you really want the DLC portion to cover Cliff Mountain segment which the ending of 3 hints to though?

If is well made, yes. I think that part will have many fights and action, and more info about the Chi you members, i think it can fit well in a DLC.

The only thing I hate about this guy is he chose to tease something that is supposedly happening within the next few weeks. What a great way to torture us... The next few weeks could mean 1 week or it could mean 4 weeks. God knows.

Now we just have to sit, stew and go around in circles wondering what the hell is going on.
At least we don't have to wait 18 years?...I hope 🤣

Whilst I like the idea of them fleshing out the story of Shenmue 3 a little more, I can’t see a way of doing this in Ryo’s timeline without the narrative feeling disjointed. They could cover the two boat sections and possibly the journey from Bailu (?) to the wall at the end of the game - but I don’t know how much the narrative would benefit from this. Where Shenmue 3’s story felt at its weakest was while we were in Bailu and Niawou and I don’t really see when/where such sections would a lot in here.

At this point I think it’s best for the team (and us) to do is to accept that Shenmue 3 is what it is and focus on driving the story forwards towards its conclusion. If they really want to expand on the lore and fill in some blanks, Iwao’s story would probably be the best way to do this, but given the uncertainty of the series actually reaching a satisfying conclusion, do they really have the resources to go backwards?

Whilst I like the idea of them fleshing out the story of Shenmue 3 a little more, I can’t see a way of doing this in Ryo’s timeline without the narrative feeling disjointed. They could cover the two boat sections and possibly the journey from Bailu (?) to the wall at the end of the game - but I don’t know how much the narrative would benefit from this. Where Shenmue 3’s story felt at its weakest was while we were in Bailu and Niawou and I don’t really see when/where such sections would a lot in here.

At this point I think it’s best for the team (and us) to do is to accept that Shenmue 3 is what it is and focus on driving the story forwards towards its conclusion. If they really want to expand on the lore and fill in some blanks, Iwao’s story would probably be the best way to do this, but given the uncertainty of the series actually reaching a satisfying conclusion, do they really have the resources to go backwards?

I agree. Much like how I never understood all the talk about the extra boat scenario (Shown in the Side Story Comic) which covers Ryo's Encounter with Chai on the boat being talked about in Shenmue 3, I just saw no reason for the game to refer back to it.

Personally, I want Shenmue 4 or bust ideally. It's clearly not that so episodic would be ideal if it's something transitioning to Shenmue 4 or possibly the Baisha part of Shenmue 3 that was left out. A prequel Shenmue Zero sounds nice, but that's something I'd rather see after 4 and 5 are completed and the story has been finished. We've waited 21 years so far for a conclusion, I don't want to see anymore detours or short-changing the story progress like what happened in Shenmue 3.
Personally, if for whatever reason the Shenmue franchise cannot be completed in video game form, I have no desire to see a anime/manga/comic adaptation as I can't stand any of those forms of media to begin with. If we can't play it to completion and the franchise has to go to waste, I'd rather just read what's left of the script no matter how bland and boring compared to experiencing it, just to at least know how it concludes and what happens with Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back