An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe it'll be a substantial DLC that coincides with the Steam release, probably furthering the storyline to help keep it fresh in everyone's minds for a fourth entry.

I think we're all certain Shenmue IV will probably happen, but Covid-19 has really hampered a lot of things. It may be a while yet before it is ever confirmed.

Covid-19, sociopolitical unrest, injustices, hurricanes. 2020 has made for not a great year and has my hype for next-gen at an all time low. I think at this juncture they might as well both delay them.

Covid-19, sociopolitical unrest, injustices, hurricanes. 2020 has made for not a great year and has my hype for next-gen at an all time low. I think at this juncture they might as well both delay them.
The sooner they’re out the better as far as I’m concerned. I have zero intention of purchasing a next gen console at anywhere near full-price, so I need them slashing prices!

I didn't consider this until this evening but what if it's some kind of Virtua Fighter knock off with shenmue characters as a DLC for shenmue 3 or something along those lines? Suzuki said he wanted to do another game like that, it certainly would go in line with him drifting away from the story and focusing on the non-essential side features. This would be a huge disappointment, but it's certainly something that seems possible.

I didn't consider this until this evening but what if it's some kind of Virtua Fighter knock off with shenmue characters as a DLC for shenmue 3 or something along those lines? Suzuki said he wanted to do another game like that, it certainly would go in line with him drifting away from the story and focusing on the non-essential side features. This would be a huge disappointment, but it's certainly something that seems possible.
One of the things that I suggested to Yu was a hybrid combat system for S4 that would alternate between 2D and 3D depending on the environment and that the 2D element of the system could be used for a Shenmue Fighter style DLC which would include fighters from the first 4 games.

I’d have no issue with them going down this route now as a stand-alone game as it could bring in some much needed revenue whilst also allowing Yu and the team to fine-tune the combat engine for future Shenmue games. I don’t think that’s what this rumor is referring to though as the leaker specifically mentions ‘story’, which a fighter wouldn’t really cover.

One of the things that I suggested to Yu was a hybrid combat system for S4 that would alternate between 2D and 3D depending on the environment and that the 2D element of the system could be used for a Shenmue Fighter style DLC which would include fighters from the first 4 games.

I’d have no issue with them going down this route now as a stand-alone game as it could bring in some much needed revenue whilst also allowing Yu and the team to fine-tune the combat engine for future Shenmue games. I don’t think that’s what this rumor is referring to though as the leaker specifically mentions ‘story’, which a fighter wouldn’t really cover.
I don't see how they can make shenmue a commercial success or bring money to the franchise outside of mostly the fans. With MK, Tekken and Soul Calibur a Shenmue fighter would be a hard sell, especially if the fighting system is broken like Shenmue 3 or even if it's on par with Virtua Fighter, that franchise is a dud compared to the other three.If they did something like Mortal Kombat 11 where its heavy cinematic story with fights mixed in a fighter could be considered story based. Works great for MK, but no thanks on Shenmue.

I don't see how they can make shenmue a commercial success or bring money to the franchise outside of mostly the fans. With MK, Tekken and Soul Calibur a Shenmue fighter would be a hard sell, especially if the fighting system is broken like Shenmue 3 or even if it's on par with Virtua Fighter, that franchise is a dud compared to the other three.If they did something like Mortal Kombat 11 where its heavy cinematic story with fights mixed in a fighter could be considered story based. Works great for MK, but no thanks on Shenmue.
I think it all depends on development costs.

I’d estimate that there are between 50,000 and 100,000 Shenmue fans who will buy any Shenmue related game that they put out and the same again who will buy the game out of sheer curiosity because it’s Shenmue and made by Yu Suzuki. That’s potentially $12m in sales, which equates to around £6m after costs. If such a fighting game only costs them a few million to develop, it has the potential to make a nice little return for them whilst also allowing them to work on the combat system a little more.

I suppose it also has the potential to further the story a little and could even introduce a few new characters set to appear further along in the story (also allowing them to get the character models made).

Personally, I’d rather this kind of thing came as DLC. In our discussions, I’d suggested that this be 1 of 8 DLC pieces spread out over 2 season passes as I think the expectations for DLC are quite a bit lower than they are for a full release. That said, I really don’t know if they have any intention of acting on my suggestions and so I have no real insight into the situation.

I do not expect much to be honest. In general it is good news that Shenmue is not forgotten but it won't be a big announment. Nobody will know for sure when we are going to hear the first time About Shenmue 4.

I am quite postiv that it is going to happen but it will not happen in the near future. I wish that I am wrong though.

It is still such a vague and subjective statement. That's what makes it difficult. "Bigger than a novelisation, but not as big as Shenmue 4." That could be anything. Personally I don't think any kind of cameo or crossover (Some speculated Ryo and perhaps other Shenmue content could be added to Streets of Rage 4, for example) is bigger than a novel or whatever, but then maybe this guy and others disagree. Why I disagree is because I care about the future of the franchise and working towards the continuation of the series and cameos and crossovers don't really contribute to that. They don't hurt, but they don't really mean a whole lot either. It's not like the cameos in All Stars Racing or Project X Zone contributed at all to Shenmue 3 happening.

Then how can you draw any comparisons? The game we're talking about is yet to be released and Jackfrags' video contained mostly Black Ops 1 footage... then factor in that it is very commonplace right now in the industry for different platforms to have different rendering solutions implemented..

And we were talking about PS5, not PC..
Jackfrags says this, I didn't judge it personally based on the footage he used (which was for an old game,yes)... Unless you're saying he also lied about what he played...

I don't get your attachment ti CoD when we established it being 120fps/4k has no bearing on the valdity of his rumor.

Just have to see what's what really.

I'm not expecting anything but also any game is surely an improvement on last nights ONL?

I think the fact "it's something new" discounts it being DLC.
In what way? Is DLC not new? I think it fits the cryptic clues we’ve been given quite well (more than a novel, less than a game).
I see unannouced DLC, AND unannounced game.
There are quite a few ‘unannounced games’ across the show, but from what I can tell they’re ‘unannounced’ in the sense that they’re surprise trailers for games that have already been announced rather than them being trailers for games that haven’t been announced yet. Pretty sure one of the GamesCom team came out and said that no new games would be announced at the event too, so if this ‘leak’ is going to come to fruition at GamesCom, it can only really be this ‘unannounced DLC’.

Of course, we don’t know that the leak was referring to GamesCom nor do we have any indication that this guy isn’t just making stuff up.

Throwing my guess in :
We're getting prequels and/or alternate POV story dabbles,
as an audio-drama series.
(Maybe in several langage, maybe just in japanese,
but, if it is provided with transcripts or available online with subtitles, it could work.)

In what way? Is DLC not new? I think it fits the cryptic clues we’ve been given quite well (more than a novel, less than a game).

But what's so exciting and unexpected about DLC? I mean it's already been done 3 times... It's not really worthy of a leak or a tease, surely? Unless it's something substantial.

In fairness, it could be a substantial expansion, like Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath, Super Luigi U or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna. Hmm that would be cool and would make sense.

But, depending on the content, they might not escape accusations that its content wasn't stuff that was promised to backers and should have been in the base game in the first place.

But what's so exciting and unexpected about DLC? I mean it's already been done 3 times... It's not really worthy of a leak or a tease, surely? Unless it's something substantial.

In fairness, it could be a substantial expansion, like Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath, Super Luigi U or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna. Hmm that would be cool and would make sense.

But, depending on the content, they might not escape accusations that its content wasn't stuff that was promised to backers and should have been in the base game in the first place.
I'm preparing for that shitstorm already. You can see the headlines now. Shenmue gets content, backers don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back