Dreamcast thread

Yeah, D2 is a ton of fun, but I need to get better at the game as I kept dying within 5 minutes of the first snowmobile section lol...

That was almost 10 years ago!

Good to see my fellow Gfaqer come back to the Dojo :)

BS was not the best from a production value standpoint, but a ton of fun.

The Evolutions are a ton of fun, but 1 is just a slightly above average, to good game. Evolution 2 on the other hand, is a superb title and, indeed, a great evolution for the series lol.

Thanks! I'll probably be posting around the Dojo more and more often as discussion for the new releases ramps up!

Evolution 2 was great... I really wish we saw a third one! The GameCube ports gave me hope, but alas, just like SoA, the series seemed to die there. :(

Absolutely LOVE D2. Got the game a bit late, around 5 years ago. Couldn't put down. Grogeous as Shenmue, Headhunter and Code Veronica, too.

I loved D2 as well! It's one of the few Dreamcast games I sold back in the day (not for dislike, but because I needed the funds), and I still regret it. It pops into my head regularly. One of these days, I'll nab it again.

Thanks! I'll probably be posting around the Dojo more and more often as discussion for the new releases ramps up!

Evolution 2 was great... I really wish we saw a third one! The GameCube ports gave me hope, but alas, just like SoA, the series seemed to die there. :(

I loved D2 as well! It's one of the few Dreamcast games I sold back in the day (not for dislike, but because I needed the funds), and I still regret it. It pops into my head regularly. One of these days, I'll nab it again.
Where do you guys post on Gfaqs? I'm mostly on NGG...

And yeah Evolution was very cool. One day I'll actually beat it so I can move on to the sequel lmfao

Any of you guys tried out DreamPi? to trick the DC into working online over a broadband connection.

If so have you tried out Phantasy Star Online with it?

I have just bought a cable to fit to raspberry pi to try out for myself. Hopefully won't take too long to arrive from the US :)

Any of you guys tried out DreamPi? to trick the DC into working online over a broadband connection.

If so have you tried out Phantasy Star Online with it?

I have just bought a cable to fit to raspberry pi to try out for myself. Hopefully won't take too long to arrive from the US :)
See you on Ragol!

See you on Ragol!
How easy is it to connect to servers these days on PSO? I've never tried this out and haven't looked into that part yet. Sylverant seems to be the service everyone uses.

I am lucky enough to have a BBA and only play online with Quake and PSO, so the limited compatibiility doesn't affect me whatsoever. If Outtrigger is brought back online, then I'll grab a dreampi... Ooga Booga already tempting me quite a bit.

How easy is it to connect to servers these days on PSO? I've never tried this out and haven't looked into that part yet. Sylverant seems to be the service everyone uses.
Yeah Sylverant is the way to go. It's really easy, just use a boot disk. I have a USBGDROM so it's even easier...

And yeah Evolution was very cool. One day I'll actually beat it so I can move on to the sequel lmfao

Where I post varies a bit. The only places where I consistently lurk are the Pro Wrestling boards. Right now, I'm mostly on the PS4 board for the RE2 remake and the new Shenmue boards.

I'll try to keep an eye on the old Shenmue, Saturn, Dreamcast, and both Skies of Arcadia boards as well! Good times there, back in the day.

I'm like ShinChuck; he used to post on the 'mue boards a lot (with a couple of others, mostly good guys) and here and there on the Saturn and DC boards. But don't post as much as I used to.

I had an active post count at one time, of about 250, spread between Genesis, SG-1000, Saturn, Dreamcast, game boards and the top 10 board.

Sadly, I only head there for guides or new info, because the trolls and shitposters have firmly entrenched themselves as the majority, whereas even 4 years ago, they were few and far between.

I do still have my 200+ reviews and 27 Top 10s there though, many I'm proud of (some I'm not, but I was learning how to write and maturing lol).

The dreamcast was one of the first consoles I played as a kid so I will always have a soft spot for any game that I can remember playing on it. In fact if any have been re released and they still hold up then they become my favourites so games like Sonic Adventure and Shenmue of course. I can remember my dad playing Shadowman but as a kid I was not interested at all though I would probably enjoy playing it today.

It’s a crime Cosmic Smash never made it to the States. I love that game so damn much. I think the Dreamcast will always be my favorite console. Power Stone 1 & 2, Super Magnetic Neo, Skies, SF Rush 2049. All great shit.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm on a serious Dreamcast binge right now (Skies of Arcadia, Headhunter) while I wait for Shenmue 4 news.

While my brother would borrow a SNES, N64 and Saturn from his mates (lots of Super Star Wars, Mario 64, Die Hard Arcade and Panzer Dragoon Zwei memories), the Dreamcast was the first console our family properly owned. I still remember my excitement when our family went to purchase one at Electronics Boutique and unboxing the system back home with my brother.

My favourite games for the system:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2: The first Sonic games I played (no Mega Drive). I loved the colourful furry characters with their own unique abilities and the Crush 40 soundtracks were cool as hell. I adored these games as a kid.

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation & Tomb Raider: Chronicles: I love these games for simulating the thrill of being lost in a creepy, underground tomb and using all your wits to escape through brutal puzzle-solving. I rarely hear people beat these games for their puzzle-solving challenge, and if they do it's always thanks to a strategy guide. The Egypt setting resulted in many trips to the British Museum, and the witty action heroine who knees dudes in the balls made these some of my favourite childhood games that my sisters and I would wrack our brains trying to beat.

Resident Evil 2 & 3: I got into Resident Evil really late with RE4 (2014?). I finally got the chance to play RE2 and RE3 on the Dreamcast about three years ago and absolutely love them. I prefer the more cheesy, B-movie Resident Evil entries overall than the more ultra-serious ones purely for their 90's cheesefest awesomeness.

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2: Absolutely bonkers, and pure fun. With all the "We don't believe in using the word 'fun', we are creating art" 🧐 insufferable French horn fart-huffing from some developers lately, I really do miss these more zany games where you're leaping a taxi off buildings to get the priest to KFC. Also, the soundtracks for these games are 100% perfection.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape: Michel Ancel's swansong. One of the best 90's 3D platformers and the fact that Ubisoft has ported it to almost every system is a testament to how brilliant it is. Though I remember being really freaked out by the black, furry caterpillars for some reason...which is odd considering I was blowing up the undead in Tomb Raider around the same time.

Shenmue: My all-time favourite game series. I got this game as a gift from my brother-in-law around 2002 and spent the rest of the year being absolutely hooked. The game offered a snippet into where video games could go in the future: cinematic presentation, stunning graphics, an unprecedented amount of freedom and painstaking attention-to-detail right down to NPC routines and weather patterns. The multichapter, detective mystery story has left me just as hooked 20 years later and pining to know what will happen next in Shenmue 4.

I REALLY need to get back into Rayman 2: I went through 25.4% of the game in 2007, when I got the game and haven't touched it since lol :(

Great list; CT2 is a better game than 1, but 1 is just so much more-fun of an experience, I'm so glad Sega came out with these titles :D

Yeah, D2 is a ton of fun, but I need to get better at the game as I kept dying within 5 minutes of the first snowmobile section lol...

That was almost 10 years ago!
Sorry bring back the old post. Yes I enjoy playing D2 as well. Have not finished yet though because I just own the Japanese version of the game and it is to bothersome to play a lot in a row. So I just play always for just a short amount of time before making a pause again.

In general I like the game. The setting is nice, the enemies are really bizarre and concerning the graphics they still look beautiful.

The Dreamcast in general is a console that I use a lot even today in 2021. It is my platform to go for my annual run of Shenmue 1 and 2. Although I also own the ps4 version I still prefer the Dreamcast versions.

I also play VF 3, DOA 2 and Soul Calibur regularly.

I also still buy games for Sega's last console. Purchased 24 hours from le Mans recently and I really enjoy playing it. A very impressive racer even today.

At the moment I am looking now for a decently priced copy for Sakura Wars 3.

I also ordered a copy of Sony Adventure 1. Should arrive soon. I missed the back then I got the DC in 2000. But I tried it out recently for free on ps now and it looks like a fun game. Now I want to own it for the Dreamcast.

In my mind, the Dreamcast did not get the justice it deserved. A console whose life was tragically cut short. It had wonderfully creative games like Sonic Adventures 1&2 (which are the best ports in my opinion), Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka & Shenmue II, Crazy Taxi, Samba De Amigo, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone, Skies of Arcadia, etc.

Then there was the fact that the Dreamcast translated arcade ports flawlessly something that even the PlayStation 2 struggled with to some degree. It was also the first to feature online functionality with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to follow suit. And to top it all off, the system was highly customizable to install all sorts of cool modifications.

The Dreamcast in all honesty was too pure for the console market. It showed SEGA at their absolute best that distinguished them from their competitors. A type of purity you rarely see in today's console wars.

Last edited:
SA is a ton of fun, I hope you enjoy it!

And yes, Test Drive Le Mans is an excellent, underrated racer.

The DC has 4-5 killer app racing games that still all hold up VERY well today.

@Truck_1_0_1_ Yes there are still some nice racers o the DC I have to check out. MSR Racer, F 355 from Yu-san himself, and the Toyko Xtreme Games. V-Rally 2 is also a nice. I have tha game already in my collection.

I also need to check out the f1 manaco grand prix game you recommend in another thread already.

And thanks cannot wait to play it. Checked out the first level already on the ps5 and i really like so far. Cannot wait to play on original hardware.

@Tsukuyomimagi99 Yes the Dreamcast is still something special up to this day. And it's demise is really a sad story. Sega did nothing wrong and they still did not make it. Well the marketing slogan never understand the power of Playstation (hype) from Sony was true after all.

The hype machine was too strong back then I fell for it too unfortunately. In the first years the ps2 was just a over hyped and in Austria and also in Germany a overpriced piece of Hardware.

In the end it would technically overshadow the DC but the DC could have put up quite a fight for the first couple of years if Sega did not pull the plug so fast. I understand why they had to do it thought. They ran out of money.

As good Sega was with the Dreamcast the could not escape their "sins" of the past. Thanks to the former missteps people did not trust Sega anymore and in the end that hurt Sega more than the PS2 hype. Mega CD, 32x and to certain extent the Saturn literally killed the good will Sega had with the fanbase in west. if you the consumers do not rust a company anymore even a very well put together console cannot change anything.

Last edited:
Back