Dreamcast thread

I gotta mention a console exclusive to this day no one mentions: Illbleed. It was such a quirky survival horror and hilarious to boot. Its camera mechanic predates the one popularized by the Fatal Frame series.
I honestly love the quirkyness of this game but always have trouble playing. I have to watch a lets play or something to show me what the hell to do cause I'm completely lost trying to figure this out myself...

I consider myself Dreamcast's #1 fan, but that's probably not accurate by any measurement possible...

But it's been my favorite console since launch and still my number 1 platform for gaming. It came at the perfect time in my life where it was literally my best friend for years and got me through some serious shit. My cousin got one at launch and I fell in love immediately. Then Christmas of 2000 came and I got my own console and Shenmue, and it's been life changing ever since...

I have 3 consoles, 1 that's heavily modded that I use daily(the very same one I got for Christmas of 2000), one that's still sealed and has never been used, and one that's beat up for spare parts. My modded console has a new paint job, a silent fan mod, a USBGDROM, replacement clock battery, a 3d printed tray for said USBGDROM, connected online via Dreampi, and a broken LED because I tried to change it to purple and failed lmfao...

I still play as often as possible and have made quite a few good friends via the online community. I'm working on a homebrew game with said friends hopefully for release this year. I'm already brainwashing my newborn baby to love the Dreamcast by buying her Dreamcast clothes and letting her play with the controllers. I wear Dreamcast clothes in public proudly displaying my love for the console. I fucking love Dreamcast!

View attachment 364View attachment 365View attachment 366View attachment 367View attachment 368View attachment 369
lol awesome man!
But I'll probably fight you for the title of it's biggest fan lol.
I'm also on my third and mine also has a custom paint job. While I've wanted to mod it to overclock (primarily for Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2) and other various things, there are no places here in Canada where you can really get it done and I am NOT an expert on electronics: I can take apart and reassemble my DC, but soldering or ******* around with things is absolutely not my forte.

I'll post some pics when I can of my various merchandise, just at work now :$

I honestly love the quirkyness of this game but always have trouble playing. I have to watch a lets play or something to show me what the hell to do cause I'm completely lost trying to figure this out myself...

One of the few DC titles I own that I haven't beaten and that too, is because I'm not sure what to do.

Guess I will guide it up next time I play it.

I did beat Skies twice and it is an awesome game, but I prefer Grandia 2 by a large margin...

I think my expectations for Grandia 2 were too high, never got proper into it ...

Beat Skies of Arcadia too many times, so many hours, still like the sound track
Chu Chu Rocket
Sonic Adventure (but never beat it)
Soul Calibur (LOVE it still)
Ecco the Dolphin, bleeding difficult to control but gorgeous
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, again good sound track

I think my expectations for Grandia 2 were too high, never got proper into it ...

Beat Skies of Arcadia too many times, so many hours, still like the sound track
Chu Chu Rocket
Sonic Adventure (but never beat it)
Soul Calibur (LOVE it still)
Ecco the Dolphin, bleeding difficult to control but gorgeous
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, again good sound track
I have a white label of THPS 1. I think it's one of the one press/reviewers would have been sent. And agree, great soundtrack.

Favourite console ever. My non Shenmue list:

Soul Calibur
Capcom vs SNK 2
DoA2
KOF 99 Evolution
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Sonic Adventure
Crazy Taxi
Virtua Tennis 2
Bomberman Online

Forgot about Soul Calibur! Great game, but I got so mad at that game once that I think I threw it against a wall and it shattered. Haha...that was years ago. Never got a new copy.

Dreamcast should probably be my favorite system, since well you all know what game it has and where that goes on my list.
Still it gets edged out by the Mega Drive just by that much as I have a somewhat stronger bond to that thing.

The Dreamcast was the first system ever I got a launch. Well sort of...
I read the magazines leading up to the system with awesome looking games like Sonic Adventure and of course Shenmue and set my mind on getting it day one. I remember how irritated I was when I heard from a game shop owner a couple of days before it was about to arrive, that the release will be delayed.

I eventually got it early enough and instantly bought Sonic Adventure and an RGB cable with it, as I knew how much the inculded RF junk suuuucked. Seriously, what were they thinking with that? The Saturn had already been shipped with RGB years earlier.
Anyway I really loved playing with the thing. Always got a good taste of the upcoming games because of the Dream On discs.
Quickly got a hold of Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi, wich I enjoyed to obsurd levels.

The next big thing I lusted for after Sonic and Shenmue was Metropolis Street Racer. I bought Tokyo Highway Challenge out of pure interest and I liked that and MSR looked to be they greatest racing game ever. I wasn't disappointed and for the longest time it had the most fun to drive handling of any racer I played.

The Dreamcast was also my first step into the world of the internet. It was awesome to register on the Dream Arena and getting a full copy of ChuChu Rocket delivered to my door for free! Eventually got internet on the PC a while later so the DC went back to a pure game machine.

Gotta confess that there are a bunch of PAL games I haven't thoroughly played or never touched at all, even though I have all 216 of them.
Biggest name among that is Skies of Arcadia, wich I know is awesome but still never sat down and played it for real...
And to bring the story to an end, besides Shenmue, these are my favorite games on the system, in no real Top X order.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi 1& 2
Tokyo Highway Challenge 1 & 2
Metropolis Stree Racer
Daytona USA 2001
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive 2
Power Stone
RE Code Veronica
REZ
Zombie Revenge

Dreamcast should probably be my favorite system, since well you all know what game it has and where that goes on my list.
Still it gets edged out by the Mega Drive just by that much as I have a somewhat stronger bond to that thing.

The Dreamcast was the first system ever I got a launch. Well sort of...
I read the magazines leading up to the system with awesome looking games like Sonic Adventure and of course Shenmue and set my mind on getting it day one. I remember how irritated I was when I heard from a game shop owner a couple of days before it was about to arrive, that the release will be delayed.

I eventually got it early enough and instantly bought Sonic Adventure and an RGB cable with it, as I knew how much the inculded RF junk suuuucked. Seriously, what were they thinking with that? The Saturn had already been shipped with RGB years earlier.
Anyway I really loved playing with the thing. Always got a good taste of the upcoming games because of the Dream On discs.
Quickly got a hold of Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi, wich I enjoyed to obsurd levels.

The next big thing I lusted for after Sonic and Shenmue was Metropolis Street Racer. I bought Tokyo Highway Challenge out of pure interest and I liked that and MSR looked to be they greatest racing game ever. I wasn't disappointed and for the longest time it had the most fun to drive handling of any racer I played.

The Dreamcast was also my first step into the world of the internet. It was awesome to register on the Dream Arena and getting a full copy of ChuChu Rocket delivered to my door for free! Eventually got internet on the PC a while later so the DC went back to a pure game machine.

Gotta confess that there are a bunch of PAL games I haven't thoroughly played or never touched at all, even though I have all 216 of them.
Biggest name among that is Skies of Arcadia, wich I know is awesome but still never sat down and played it for real...
And to bring the story to an end, besides Shenmue, these are my favorite games on the system, in no real Top X order.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi 1& 2
Tokyo Highway Challenge 1 & 2
Metropolis Stree Racer
Daytona USA 2001
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive 2
Power Stone
RE Code Veronica
REZ
Zombie Revenge

Great post, BM!

I too read the mags (didn't own them though) and there was a TON of hype. When I finally got ahold of one in late 2005, it was just bliss; I spent a TON of time on Calibur and the THPS demo, along with the sports titles that came with the console.

You MUST play SoA. Its arguably among the best RPGs ever made and it is a wonderful experience from beginning to end.

Also glad you're a fan of THC/TXR2: my favourite racing game of all-time and I've invested hours upon hours in that game.

I was a huge fan of the Sakura Taisen series on the Dreamcast, even going as far as to pick up a new Sakura Taisen branded console and the various editions of the games from Japan.

As for buying at launch, Dreamcast was the first system I bought imported. Like the Saturn, I thought all of the good games were going to be Japanese exclusive so my parents got a Japanese Dreamcast in May 1999 as an end of the school year present. It only cost $250, $50 more than the North American launch price

Wow, ten replies deep into a Dreamcast discussion and no mention of Skies of Arcadia?
I still have yet to finish it myself, but it easily strikes me as one of the best on the system. Honestly one of the few that I truly value the system for (I think the console's worth tends to get blown out of proportion by "niche" gamers, personally).

Skies of Arcadia is one of only a few games I hold in similar regard to Shenmue (off the top of my head, the third in that list would be NiGHTS into Dreams, particularly when combined with Christmas NiGHTS). With NiGHTS and Shenmue 1 & 2 both ported to modern consoles and PC, I'm hoping there's a chance we'll see SoA happen sometime.

I loved a lot of the other big Dreamcast titles already mentioned many times, but I'll give additional shout-outs to Illbleed, Blue Stinger, and Record of Lodoss War.

Other titles I enjoyed and played a ton of (even if they aren't classics) include Evolution 1 & 2, Silver, KoF Dream Match '99, and Dynamite Cop.

Skies of Arcadia is one of only a few games I hold in similar regard to Shenmue (off the top of my head, the third in that list would be NiGHTS into Dreams, particularly when combined with Christmas NiGHTS). With NiGHTS and Shenmue 1 & 2 both ported to modern consoles and PC, I'm hoping there's a chance we'll see SoA happen sometime.

I loved a lot of the other big Dreamcast titles already mentioned many times, but I'll give additional shout-outs to Illbleed, Blue Stinger, and Record of Lodoss War.

Other titles I enjoyed and played a ton of (even if they aren't classics) include Evolution 1 & 2, Silver, KoF Dream Match '99, and Dynamite Cop.

Good to see my fellow Gfaqer come back to the Dojo :)

BS was not the best from a production value standpoint, but a ton of fun.

The Evolutions are a ton of fun, but 1 is just a slightly above average, to good game. Evolution 2 on the other hand, is a superb title and, indeed, a great evolution for the series lol.

Grandia II
Sonic Adventure
Jet Set Radio
skies of arcadia
that dungeon crawler rpg game

Either Time Stalkers or Evolution (1 & 2), both (all three, rather) super fun titles!

I just remembered another very bizarre title exclusive to the Dreamcast, D2. I don't really remember if I actually enjoyed it back in the day but it was memorable enough for me to recall it after all those years. It is a survival horror as well (always had a soft spot for these), from the guy who made Enemy Zero for the Saturn.

Absolutely LOVE D2. Got the game a bit late, around 5 years ago. Couldn't put down. Grogeous as Shenmue, Headhunter and Code Veronica, too.

Back