Dreamcast thread

Here's my top 10 in no particular order. I'm also not committing to this list TOO hard because like @Rydeen said, it's like trying to pick your favorite children. Just picking how I feel atm and not thinking too hard about it:

Shenmues (yeah I'm already cheating)
Zombie Revenge
Jet Set Radio
Crazy Taxi 2
Sonic Adventure 1
Cannon Spike
Illbleed
Blue Stinger
Skies of Arcadia
Gunbird 2

Already getting queasy thinking how I should change my list so it can have Rez, Napple Tale, Space Channel 5 pt. 2, HotD2, Alien Front Online, Mars Matrix, Rayman 2, etc etc etc BUT IM STICKING WITH IT FUCK IT

Evil Twin
Another one I need to get back to. DC has too many games. 🤓

@xatruio You mentioned the dc version of Omicron. Is that version good? I missed the first Quantic Dream game back then but I want to give it a shot. Was planning to get the pc version because i forget that there was a Dreamcast Version. Would you recommend the Dreamcast Version of that game?

Most definitely. Apparently there's a small PC modding community, but I dunno. Dreamcast version great!

@xatruio You mentioned the dc version of Omicron. Is that version good? I missed the first Quantic Dream game back then but I want to give it a shot. Was planning to get the pc version because i forget that there was a Dreamcast Version. Would you recommend the Dreamcast Version of that game?

DC version is very good indeed, but the PC is better (better textures, better overall look, among other things). It's a great adventure though and David Bowie is awesomesauce.

Thanks for the information @xatruio and @Truck_1_0_1_ .

Yeah the PC version would also be the eaiest way to play game today as it was available on gog really cheap. But I am somehow more inclined to the Dreamcast Version even if the PC port is technically superior. I am a bit worried about the controls though. The controls of the PC Version of Fahrenheit or Indigo Prophecy for the North American dojo members was horrible. Ok the controls were not much better on consoles either way but they were still a bit better. So I am also hoping that the Dreamcast Version of Nomad soul is superior to the PC controls.

Not counting Shenmue I or II my favorite Dreamcast game is Soul Calibur. I also really want to try Skies of Arcadia and I own the game, but I just don't want to play a JRPG at the moment.

EXQUISITE taste btw. Not like everyone here doesn't already have exquisite taste, but you know, yours just happened to line up with mine just that little bit more. I finally played through Napple Tale recently, and my GOD what a gem that is. A little disappointing it didn't run at 60fps given the lower graphical fidelity (relatively speaking), but still a very visually pleasing game overall and I was constantly in awe by the amount of content and effort they managed to cram into it. Huge levels, tons of variety, lots of creative and clever platforming situations, etc etc. I really think this would've a hit in the west and very fondly remembered if they would've localized it back in the day. Also reminded that I still need to play EGG.
Aw, why thank you! I can also probably count on one hand the number of Nintendo games I genuinely like! That's right! I'm exceptionally broken!

Great to hear other people are picking up Napple Tale. The stages are really very cool, and Paffets remind me a little bit of another game I love: Crusader of Centy.
I've spent more time than I care to admit running the challenge stage for coins to complete the music set. I still need one, I think. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, though. If it did, I should have gotten it by now--. At least I have Folly Fall. I should actually replay it sometime soon so I can make a save file right before the end of the Fall area to revisit whenever I want.

Zombie Revenge
Cannon Spike
Gunbird 2
These are some excellent choices, although I'm a little surprised by Gunbird 2 over Mars Matrix. I actually really liked Blue Stinger, as well, despite some clunkiness. Not as much as Illbleed, but it's still a lot of fun.

I just miss little gems like Speed Devils. Anyone remember that racer? Was so much fun!
I have it, but I can't recall if I've ever actually played it.

I feel basically the same way, though. I remember finding a lot of weird, wild games in the Dreamcast Magazine demo discs, like Demolition Racer: No Exit, and playing them constantly. (Just the demos, that is--.)

Zombie Revenge looks like a funny game I have not added it my collection but in case I can find it at good price I am gonna go for it. Dyanmite Deka like gameplay with Zombies sounds really funny. I have been intersted in that game since I read some reviews gaming mags in the year 2000. Never had to chance to buy it though.

Die Hard Arcade is one of my favourite Saturn games, so I'd really like to own Dynamite Cop at some point. Zombie Revenge also looks like glorious cheese-fest awesomeness which I'd be keen to check out.

But thanks to eBay's ridiculous prices, that may never happen.

Die Hard Arcade is one of my favourite Saturn games, so I'd really like to own Dynamite Cop at some point. Zombie Revenge also looks like glorious cheese-fest awesomeness which I'd be keen to check out.

But thanks to eBay's ridiculous prices, that may never happen.
Holy cow you aren't kidding, the cheapest one on US Amazon is $66 atm. I had to go back and check what I got mine for back in 2011...
Untitled.png
Glad I got most of my collection before DC prices really blew up around 2013 - 2015 iirc. RIP my ability to get legit copies of Illbleed and D2 at a sane price :crying:

I just miss little gems like Speed Devils. Anyone remember that racer? Was so much fun!

;)

@9dragons @Revan & @Dietsoap

Do note that ZR is MUCH-harder than DC; So long as your pick Bruno or Eddie, one can beat DC first-time out. It's not hard at all (Wolf Hongo is the only enemy that is a real pain, but he has a pattern that can be schemed for).

Zombie Revenge has a much-greater range of enemies, much-tougher bosses and there aren't 50 million different weapons to pick up lol. Despite getting quite good at the game, I could never pass the sequence after the elevator. Same thing here; not to be sexist, but Stick or Busujima are the way to go.

The homages and call-backs to HoD are awesome though, the game really is better than the reviews and reception it got, at the time.

I haven't played it in probably 7-8 years, so maybe I should try my hand again. Funny game too.

"Booooolets! Booooolets! AN-TI-DOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

;)

@9dragons @Revan & @Dietsoap

Do note that ZR is MUCH-harder than DC; So long as your pick Bruno or Eddie, one can beat DC first-time out. It's not hard at all (Wolf Hongo is the only enemy that is a real pain, but he has a pattern that can be schemed for).

Zombie Revenge has a much-greater range of enemies, much-tougher bosses and there aren't 50 million different weapons to pick up lol. Despite getting quite good at the game, I could never pass the sequence after the elevator. Same thing here; not to be sexist, but Stick or Busujima are the way to go.

The homages and call-backs to HoD are awesome though, the game really is better than the reviews and reception it got, at the time.

I haven't played it in probably 7-8 years, so maybe I should try my hand again. Funny game too.

"Booooolets! Booooolets! AN-TI-DOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yeah, it is tough as nails for sure. The farthest I've ever gotten is that giant head + hands boss, the one that basically had a homage in Yakuza Dead Souls (not that I've played it, but you posted a link pointing at the similarities once). I actually prefer the girl to Stick purely for her lightning fast lock on time. Her melee is pretty much useless tho.

@Truck_1_0_1_ Thanks for the warning. Yeah I have already read that the game is supposed to be quite hard. It is not discouraging for me. Sometimes a challenge is more than welcome. In case I can find the game at a god price.

Yeah, it is tough as nails for sure. The farthest I've ever gotten is that giant head + hands boss, the one that basically had a homage in Yakuza Dead Souls (not that I've played it, but you posted a link pointing at the similarities once). I actually prefer the girl to Stick purely for her lightning fast lock on time. Her melee is pretty much useless tho.
Yup, I've beaten him, you go down an elevator and haven't gotten past that. I think it's near the end of the game, but I'm not sure how far from the end it actually is (haven't watched a Let's Play or anything).

Yup, I've beaten him, you go down an elevator and haven't gotten past that. I think it's near the end of the game, but I'm not sure how far from the end it actually is (haven't watched a Let's Play or anything).
Can’t remember, is that before or after the train graveyard? I’ve technically beaten the game, but with all sorts of continues thrown in. Pretty sure a 1cc is impossible, and any evidence that might dispute that will not be acknowledged.

Dynamite Deka 2 feels like a much more casual romp by comparison. I like it just a little bit more for its zany enemies and things.

Dynamite Deka 2 is the game that plays on ship right? have not played it yet but I am considering adding it to me collection because I am big fan of the first Dynamte Dekka on the Saturn.

Can’t remember, is that before or after the train graveyard? I’ve technically beaten the game, but with all sorts of continues thrown in. Pretty sure a 1cc is impossible, and any evidence that might dispute that will not be acknowledged.

Dynamite Deka 2 feels like a much more casual romp by comparison. I like it just a little bit more for its zany enemies and things.

After the train graveyard. IIRC, the next level is the HoD, then you go in the house, then out and face the giant head with hands. Beat him, take an elevator down and not sure after that.

Yeah, DC/DD2 is definitely the, "more-fun," title, for a light little play session here and there. I beat it first time out (and I've never played the first game on the Saturn) and I think out of the... 35 or so times I've played the game, I've only not ever beaten it twice.

Dynamite Deka 2 is the game that plays on ship right? have not played it yet but I am considering adding it to me collection because I am big fan of the first Dynamte Dekka on the Saturn.

Indeed it is. Just the first part of the game, the second is on an island (or is it?) lol. There are actually a decent-amount of branching paths, which allows for a fair bit of replay, surprisingly.

Back