Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th Part 3 More Reaction

How many times we have to say that good graphics doesn't necessarely mean a good game.
It seems like we have to keep saying it because many still think there is a big correlation.
Zelda Breath of the wild its pretty basic graphic wise and its one of the gratest game of all time.
Shenmue 1 and 2 were made almos 20 years ago, and when comared with todays graphics standards they don hold up in that regard (even tho I still love the way they look) and are my favourite games.
Graphics are one aspect of a game. They are NOT the game.

Judgement is an HD AAA game built on the base of several other AAA games made by same studio with a mix of new assets along with refined and recreated assets that were made between the past two console generations, set in the same city as 10 or more other games made in the same universe, which has collaborations and licensing with the Japanese adult industry, and other licensing with top Japanese Entertainment, and food industries... not to mention expensive facial scanning software used for major characters.

Shenmue 3 is not going to come near the same level of polish or production value of a game like Judgment or Yakuza. Accept that or expect a tsunami of disappointment.

I come a little late but I will I give my impressions on the vídeo..

The first thing I will say is you can see that shenmue feeling in everywhere and everything! It's the new generation of shenmue! It is what you would expect from shenmue in this day and age.

The colours, the light, the style... It's shenmue!
I love the video a lot, it was too short for me!

I think the voice acting was superb and sounded crisp, the music have me chills and the ambientation is nice.

I have too stressed the backgrounds, they are nice and beauty as fuck, they are on pair with AAA games.

I think they have mixed old and new assets, because I can tell there is inconsistency in characters. In some is scenes you can see a very high level and in others it's as if it was older build of the game.

As it has been said many times, there are some problems with animation, because is stiff sometimes or it lacks animation as you can see in the eyes of Ryo when he is squatting with the drunk master.

The fighting was amazing, I was a bit afraid about fighting because I didn't know how you Suzuki was going to make it but it seems like VF 100%.

Again, I think that Byscay hyped up too much the trailer and we didn't see "real" gameplay.
I was hoping to see the camera behind Ryo and waking around the village...

I have been reading in Spanish forums and I can tell you that the video has been very well welcome among fans, of course it has got criticized a lot too but mainly trolls and ratkids. Other people didn't know about the game and did like it.

I hope they don't delay the game once again because it would mean problems and the next time they will show a proper trailer with gameplay.

I have been watching the vídeo at least twenty times these days..

Shenmue 3 is going to have way bigger ambitions, scope, variety, production values and budget than any Yakuza game ever.

People forget that RGG games recycle the same tiny district every single time, with very little and safe updates, and that they used to feature extremely old gen-ish flaws like robotic, voiceless npc, less than mediocre animations and invisible walls literally everywhere untill the very recent introduction of the Dragon Engine.
They have stellar facial animations during main cutscenes that rival even the best of the industry, but that's pretty much it.

I don't know if people just have bigger expectations for Shenmue, or if it's the lack of proper, professional marketing around it that make people feel safe to come up with the silliest, most irrational trolls.

Last edited:
Hey wait a sec, doesn't this trailer kind of confirm dual audio? I know we've assumed if for a while, but I think this is our first confirmation of Japanese voices with English subtitles.

Hey wait a sec, doesn't this trailer kind of confirm dual audio? I know we've assumed if for a while, but I think this is our first confirmation of Japanese voices with English subtitles.
Not quite, because you'll remember they did the same for The Prophecy.

Until they come out and say it's a feature, it's unconfirmed for the moment.

Amazingly enough, it's possible to add subtitles to a video of a game without adding them in the game itself.

It'll probably have dual audio, but subtitles in a trailer mean absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't take it as a confirmation. Those subtitles look to me as if they were added in post.

Yakuza is SEGA's most expensive series and I have no doubt Judgment is the same. It effectively has AAA production values and it is hugely unfair to expect Shenmue III to hit the same heights.

You do this in every thread, man.

Is Yakuza really AAA? The series still has ps2-isms where there's limited cutscenes that use minimal assets, every cutscene isn't voiced, and there's three different kinds of cutscenes (regular cinematic, rpg text boxed kind with lack of talking and just has voiced grunts and "hmmms", and visual novel esque scene). Yakuza is far from AAA. You are using that definition very liberally in a world where RDR2 or GTAV exist I think. In fact, I know a lot of people whose first Yakuza game was 0 who said the production values aren't what they're used to and that the game is cheap in many areas, reminding them of a ps2 game with better graphics.

It'll probably have dual audio, but subtitles in a trailer mean absolutely nothing.

I'll be so happy if they give us the option of dual audio. Someone did ask Yu re subtitles with JP VO, and he didn't commit one way or the other. I may be misremembering, but I believe Yu was actually surprised by the request.

Is Yakuza really AAA? The series still has ps2-isms where there's limited cutscenes that use minimal assets, every cutscene isn't voiced, and there's three different kinds of cutscenes (regular cinematic, rpg text boxed kind with lack of talking and just has voiced grunts and "hmmms", and visual novel esque scene). Yakuza is far from AAA. You are using that definition very liberally in a world where RDR2 or GTAV exist I think. In fact, I know a lot of people whose first Yakuza game was 0 who said the production values aren't what they're used to and that the game is cheap in many areas, reminding them of a ps2 game with better graphics.

He specifically referenced Judgment though, which does very much seem to have substantial backing. Especially when compared to SIII

I’ve been watching the trailer and reading lots of comments from fans lately, and one thing that the majority of people said is that what we see in the trailer really feels like a Shenmue game. Which is all I’ve ever wanted in a sequel. All the negative petty comments so far seem to be people who don’t really appreciate or understand what makes Shenmue special.
Yu Suzuki knows what the core of Shenmue is, and I can see that that’s what he’s striving for. It doesn’t boast a huge open world, endless side missions, or a ton of forgettable NPCs, (which is what a lot of modern games seem to do). Yu took the heart and soul of Shenmue I and II, and put all that passion and hard work into Shenmue III, and I think we should just appreciate that Shenmue III will probably not break boundaries when it comes to realistic graphics, or world size, but that it can stand out as being different, and stick to it’s roots as a Shenmue game.

why is it always yakuza vs shenmue? i played both series and i like them both.
the characters of shenmue are great, the characters of yakuza are great.
shenmue has a awesome adventure martial arts story with mystery & fantasy elements,
yakuza is all about hard adult themes and silly fun in between.

i have shenmue 1+2 for the dremcast, s1+2 re release for ps4 and the japanese le for the ps4 here.
and i have yakuza 0, yakuza kiwami, kiwami 2 and 6 for the ps4 here.
i like them exactly the same for what they are.

shenmue is not about ultra violence and sex and yakuza is not about traveling to different countries and villages.
it wouldnt make any sense to talk to civilians in yakuza about the story stuff because
its always about underground yakuza stuff and not about a person who knows karate.

i think its really stupid that gamers always want some kind of beef because "the game i like is way better than yours!"
just play whatever you like. whats the problem

AAA production values, to quote myself exactly.

Hellblade also has AAA production values (a core pillar of what the devs wanted to achieve), without a fully AAA budget - and so the trade off is a very restricted game.

Yakuza is SEGA's most expensive series and has AAA production values, but not universally across the title, which also indulges in an enormous amount of content recycling.

EDIT: Elaborating on my point more, AAA production values usually amount to visual and presentational polish. We're currently seeing an emergence of games like Hellblade that look to provide this, in smaller scale games. The Outer Worlds will be roughly in the same ballpark. Yakuza and Judgment don't exactly take this methodology but they are similar, they funnel resources into certain areas to provide AAA production values, but it isn't universal as they general try to have a large-ish amount of content and make trade-offs.

Shenmue III has much more to do than any of these games and much less to work with, there will be compromises somewhere.

Last edited:
I like both series Shenmue and Yakuza. But Shenmue and Yakuza cannot compared to each other. Besides both games are set in Japan and are brought to life by Sega they are completely different "animals". Shenmue is more like a old school adventure with some fighting elements while yakuza is more a action RPG.

And i think it is save to say that Yakuza has AAA value. They can use lots of licensed products in there Game which is not cheap. Sega seems to use quite a lot of money for the stuff in there.

They have way more budget than Shenmue 3 for sure.

Fair points all around, Spaghetti.

I don't see why anyone has a problem with anyone bringing up Yakuza in this context. No one is really comparing them as games, just the budgets and capabilities of what the team is capable of with their said budgets. That's all.

I want dual audio so badly...! Can't imagining not being able to play in JPN (well I could play but wouldn't understand much if anything). Would obviously replay in ENG a few times, but really want the choice.

Been watching the trailer a few times (right) over again today and finding new bits all over. Coming to love the drunken master more and more, as smn who consumes a lot of Chinese modern and classic (dynastic) pop culture the archetype is so familiar and on point. I really hope he sticks in character throughout, it would be such a homeage to a very distinct Chinese literary figure. You find his like in stories from the Ming (16th century) to vintage Kung fu films. Should provide some good old comedy relief too, to match Ryo's intense quest.

Least favorite is still the mullet guy. It looks like he is wearing a helmet. Not a fan, already cannot wait to kick his ass later in the game!

Judge Eyes is still cutting corners all around. Yes, the Dragon Engine goes a long way in modernizing it, but there are still points in Judge Eyes where, in typical Yakuza fashion, corners are cut. There is still the same voiceless NPC dialog and in game character models can still sometimes be rather lifeless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving every moment I've spent with Judge Eyes, but yeah, the typical Yakuza corner cutting is still there in spades even in the Dragon Engine.

i think its really stupid that gamers always want some kind of beef because "the game i like is way better than yours!"
just play whatever you like. whats the problem

I saw this sentiment quite a bit in the comments of Huber's reaction video. I don't get it much either. Who said it was mandatory to like one more than the other? I happen to love both for very different reasons. I love both games to death and this whole "Yakuza is better than Shenmue" or "Yakuza is the good version of Shenmue" is just dumb and screams of dumb kids repeating people like Jeff Gerstmann who spew this sentiment over and over just because Jeff knows it will get a rise out of some Shenmue fanboys.

But yeah, I never bought into this stuff because in my mind both stand on their own feet and both have their own merits.

Last edited:
I want dual audio so badly...! Can't imagining not being able to play in JPN (well I could play but wouldn't understand much if anything). Would obviously replay in ENG a few times, but really want the choice.!

i'm pretty sure Shenmue 3 will have dual audio.
its not like they released the japanese version first and then a english version for the rest.
its a worldwide release with one publisher (except for china)

other games of Deep Silver like the latest Metro Exodus have dozens of different voice options
and for Shenmue 3 there are already english and japanese voices listed on Steam
+ on the german PS4 Amazon page it says voices: english, japanese

Last edited:
Back