Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

Relax spags. Let people enjoy their own "awfullt low misery bars" lol
I'm relaxed. I just wonder if people really feel like this or they're just using hyperbole because, well, it's the internet.

Of course the simple answer is, for those who really do feel miserable or seriously impacted by these decisions, is to just not play the game then.

If buying and selling is really as important to the in-game economy as it sounds, doing it through menus sounds like a sensible shorthand to prevent tedium. Though it's a bit unclear how that is all being handled, because there are somewhat conflicting descriptions flying around, right? Some might be bought through a menu, but others may not?
No. Physical items on shelves is Shenmue. Picking up an item and taking it to the counter is Shenmue. Holding an item and being able to check it out is Shenmue. At most the option to buy from a list should be provided but not replace the traditional store experience of Shenmue.

No. Physical items on shelves is Shenmue. Picking up an item and taking it to the counter is Shenmue. Holding an item and being able to check it out is Shenmue. At most the option to buy from a list should be provided but not replace the traditional store experience of Shenmue.
Maybe we'll get both options... I really think thats going to be the case.

Relax spags. Let people enjoy their own "awfullt low misery bars" lol
Quite. Of course I am speaking in regards to how I want to enjoy Shenmue based on how I have always done so. Gutted, perhaps more fitting, in regards to the potential likelihood of the store item experience being reduced to menus only - to be more clear for you Spags.

Each to their own, but with a greater number of items available per shop and a more regular need to buy them, I could see why they chose the shorthand option rather than an unwieldy attempt at sticking to tradition for the sake of it.

Shenmue is many things to many different people, it seems.

I agree with @Yokosuka -- I'm no kung fu expert but I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely striking focussed, so if Ryo is charging up a literal 'kung fu' meter, and challenging people to kung fu bouts then it almost makes sense. It wouldn't explain why he doesn't use throws against street thugs and "real" bad guys...but it's something, I guess.

As for the store menus...we know you can still zoom in and examine things (IGN article I think?), so maybe you can still do that in the stores, you just have to enter a menu to make the actual purchase?

In a game where you're buying a lot of stuff -- way more than in previous games, it sounds like -- using a menu to quickly make multiple purchases sounds like a necessity to me.

I'm relaxed. I just wonder if people really feel like this or they're just using hyperbole because, well, it's the internet.

Of course the simple answer is, for those who really do feel miserable or seriously impacted by these decisions, is to just not play the game then.
You know what spaghetti?! Life is not only pasta man. Sometimes you have to enjoy a litle rice or even a soup.
Pasta is not the food of all foods. Even vegetables play a bigger play in life.
If you don't want to accept that reality, thats your problem.
I would sugest you eat some carrots from time to time. Like the good old Iwao sugests.

That was
Each to their own, but with a greater number of items available per shop and a more regular need to buy them, I could see why they chose the shorthand option rather than an unwieldy attempt at sticking to tradition for the sake of it.

Shenmue is many things to many different people, it seems.
That was the tedium of real life in Shenmue. The game is full of such things and one of its core charms, completely by design. I can't imagine the stores being like Yakuza. Well, I can and it's less Shenmue. I hope it's at least like RDR2 with main / staple items modelled on shelves but lots more to buy via a catalogue / menu.
Begs the question if eating or drinking animations will feature and if the opening and examining of toy capsules has been preserved. Time will tell.

I think a little nuance is in order here...

to me it sounds like you can switch to the ego perspective and still look around in shops
and maybe some of the items that you can buy are really there but you cant pick them up as a 3d object.
and i mean the gameplay session articles are talking about how many new shops there are
and that they have so many items now - thats why i think you cant pick them up manually.
lets say there are 30 items now in every shop instead of 5-10.
i think its unrealistic for the game that you can find all of the items as a real object on a shelf.

to me it sounds like you can switch to the ego perspective and still look around in shops
and maybe some of the items that you can buy are really there but you cant pick them up as a 3d object.
and i mean the gameplay session articles are talking about how many new shops there are
and that they have so many items now - thats why i think you cant pick them up manually.
lets say there are 30 items now in every shop instead of 5-10.
i think its unrealistic for the game that you can find all of the items as a real object on a shelf.
Yeah I agree, if there are a lot of items it would be silly. Yakuza games kinda did that, where the stores were very detailed but you could only shop through a menu. I wouldn't prefer that but I can certainly see why others would consider it a quality of life improvement.

That being said I hope items aren't TOO important here. I know we have to eat(or at least its recommended), but I don't want too much maintenance gameplay going on. Hopefully these systems are all done really well which I assume they will be...

So it's kind of official. No delay again, we will play Shenmue 3 in August for sure. Shenmue 3 is definitely real!

What a twist! What the hell could be these games?
Hopefully something much like Super Hang On or Outrun etc. Created by Yu Suzuki and based on games created by Yu Suzuki or maybe something more original. 80s arcade style for sure though.

New Interview With Yu Suzuki!

Erf... Lot of disappointing stuff :/
Doesn't make me feel hopeful when I read that maybe they couldn't put half of the stuff they wanted, or that relations/interactions with NPCs wont be as deep as previous games :/
I really hope something was lost in translation here because... yikes :/

Good news though is we're still getting the backer demo that was promised.

It could still be hand/shelf if the hand is quicker and transition times are very short. That would work better than a menu system. You'd still have the store layout to navigate. Give Ryo a paper bag so he doesn't have to checkout after each purchase.

Back