Media impressions of the 15 minute gameplay trailer

But did you not also feel as if you accomplished something when you finally found him? Name tags will render such accomplishments mute.

Four difficulty settings, on the other hand. That is something I am very intrigued by, as well as being in two minds about.
I agree. Shenmue doesn't have any kind of tutorial or map marker help. I think that plays in its favour. Making the player even more immersed and almost forces it to be familiarized with the world. Everybody knows who Yamagishi san is even tho he's not by any streach of imagination one of the main character of the saga.

On the other hand, NPC names flashing above their heads is unnecessary. I wonder if that's a feature that can be turned off. Still hardly a deal breaker.
Who said names will be flashing above their heads?
I don't think so. I can imagine the name appearing next to the Action/Speak mouth button in the HUD.
And maybe you're able to turn it off in the option menus, who knows.

But did you not also feel as if you accomplished something when you finally found him? Name tags will render such accomplishments mute.

Oh absolutely. Sorry, I should have made it clearer in my post. That's why I'm personally against name tags, but I'm hopeful it will be an option that can be toggled on and off.

My hunch is that'll be something you can toggle on and off in options/settings and was just left on for people to understand the demo easier/quicker.
Yeah, I'm thinking there may be a "classic mode" set of options - or possibly a difficulty setting that does this.

I like Persona 5's solution to NPC names where a funny description of the character would be given but the character would not be named until they introduced themselves, which would often only happen after you had spoken to them multiple times. Also a similar solution was implemented for the enemies/demons/shadows/personas.

Like if something similar were in Shenmue 3, the Master would be labeled something like "angry drunken elder" until you discovered who he really is and it displays his real name.

Actually am neutral about the shop menu. In fact, is a very small gripe of mine in Shenmue when grinding for toys and Saturn games. Love the life-like animation of interacting, but wish there could've at least been the ability to grab multiple, press Y for a menu list, then only go to counter once.

Besides some circuitous unskippable situations (the lucky hit museum comes to mind), the menus are perhaps my main gripe. I recognize the sense of folks desiring "immersion", but I think Ryo is human enough to pick up every move scroll he wants with one hand. S3's menus needn't be as sterile as the pawnshop singles menu, but there's a way to balance attention to detail without becoming tedious.

• Four difficulty levels.
I Wonder if this means the previous dynamic difficulty of 1&2 where the game got easier if you kept dying is gone and replaced with this. Shenmue was never a game i particularly imagine having a hard mode but im interested in trying it. My first play through will be on normal though.

If buying and selling is really as important to the in-game economy as it sounds, doing it through menus sounds like a sensible shorthand to prevent tedium. Though it's a bit unclear how that is all being handled, because there are somewhat conflicting descriptions flying around, right? Some might be bought through a menu, but others may not?

• Four difficulty levels.
I Wonder if this means the previous dynamic difficulty of 1&2 where the game got easier if you kept dying is gone and replaced with this. Shenmue was never a game i particularly imagine having a hard mode but im interested in trying it. My first play through will be on normal though.
The way it was described was like an actual selection of difficulty levels. Google translate had the hardest difficulty listed as being called "stop it!", though I'm sure that's just a machine translation goof. Hilarious if that's the actual name though.

If buying and selling is really as important to the in-game economy as it sounds, doing it through menus sounds like a sensible shorthand to prevent tedium. Though it's a bit unclear how that is all being handled, because there are somewhat conflicting descriptions flying around, right? Some might be bought through a menu, but others may not?
putting it that way. really sounds different and better.
My initial though was like, you enter a shop and there are no shelves no nothing, as soon as you enter a menu pops up and you choose what you want to buy. hahaha thats like the worst scenerio ever but thats what came to mind.
Here's hoping there are both ways of buying.

What preview mentions 4 difficulty levels?

IGN Japan

Suzuki is trying to create a battle system that can satisfy various types of players.
This is also evident from the fact that you can select the level of difficulty for the first time in the "Shenmu" series. When starting a new game, the player can choose from four modes. There is a mode for people who want to enjoy the story, and there is also a mode called "Stop it!" Which is not recommended for core fans at first.

Damn. Grappling moves are how I cheesed many a boss battle in the first two games.

Stop it? Stop what? The sailors?

In the original article, it's やめておけ!(yamete oke!)

Which roughly means "Cut it out!" (oke! is an imperative)

I guess it's kind of like how Doom calls its lower difficulty, "Take it Easy!"

Last edited:
I can allready see myself playing in that maximum difficulty level! Trainning myself to death everyday and kick everybodies ass!!
Oh My! It's going to be soo rewarding!!!
People in Bailu will raise a temple in honour of the great little suede headed Ryo!!

Back