The Epic Games Store thread

Personally I will happily support any great exclusive EGS games if that means they throwing huge sums of money at the developers to improve their games or in general give incentive for them to put out a great end product. I don't care for bean counting or whatever peanuts discount advantage Steam and other stores have over Epic. Gaming is a huge time waster and really a luxury for those who can afford it, so I'm not waiting for a specific game title to have enough sales in hopes a better sequel might come out of it, when Epic is giving the developers more resources right at the spot and providing me the best gaming experience out of it. And it's not just an opinion as titles like Metro Exodus and Outer Wilds are proof of what EGS backing can do for developers as these are some of the best games out there this year. Hell, I'm all for Shenmue 4 and beyond to be PC Epic only if they are providing extra funding for the series. I'm actually disappointed Epic didn't come sooner to be honest.

Last edited:
On the exemples you gave: this has nothing to do with a Steam exclusivity. That's the difference here. Gears 5 is only on Steam and Microsoft Store because Microsoft doesn't want to sell on 3rd party stores. Same for Spyro with Activision. It's a publisher choice. It's not a design flaw as opposed to Epic Store.
But it's the same result. You can't really square the circle of why it's an absolute travesty on EGS, but fine on Steam for X, Y, Z reasons - if you're against the reduction in choice for the consumer. It can't be explained away as "publisher's choice" either, when publishers choose to partner with Epic for storefront exclusivity partnerships, with the same outcome.

You see where I'm going with this, right? It still just looks like the industry following the path it's been on for the last few years, with or without the EGS.

Hence why it's an issue specific to a storefront. As I said, that 19% figure you keep throwing for EGS is the highest on the spectrum and the exception, not the rule which is closer to 10%. The same way for Steam games, it's closer to 20% rather than 30%. Because as I explained to you, a 12% cut + an exclusivity prevents from competing on prices. It's basic math here again. If you compete on price on your own cut, the smaller the cut, the less leverage. Hence why on average the price reduction we're seeing from 3rd party stores is far higher for Steam games than EGS games.
Well technically Untitled Goose Game's 25% off as a launch promotional price is the highest on the spectrum. Though temporary, I'd say it still actually counts - as many discounts on Steam or with key vendors are regularly only temporary to entice an impulse buy. Honestly, key vendors can go swivel if we start seeing good deals emerge at source from the EGS more often.

But also this is again moving away from why I pulled you up on the "If it was Epic exclusive, I could only buy it on Epic store at full price" statement in the first place. It isn't true, and you've kind of copped to that in the last few messages anyway, so y'know mission accomplished or whatever. Tossing the math at me doesn't really matter that much, because I can't really recall caring enough to dispute it, just that the absolutism of what you had to say doesn't really reflect what's going on with the EGS for the moment. Markdowns for EGS exclusives aren't as frequent, and aren't quite as good, but they do exist, and do generally fit with markdowns you can find for certain new titles coming to Steam.

I'm sure it looks nice on a big long image from /r/PCgaming about why people shouldn't use the EGS, but if you're convinced you can argue against what that particular storefront is doing, why use bogus blanket statements to reinforce your point?

Well technically Untitled Goose Game's 25% off as a launch promotional price is the highest on the spectrum.
Just want to interject at this point and say that Untitled Goose Game is brilliant.

That is all. Thank you.

But it's the same result. You can't really square the circle of why it's an absolute travesty on EGS, but fine on Steam for X, Y, Z reasons - if you're against the reduction in choice for the consumer. It can't be explained away as "publisher's choice" either, when publishers choose to partner with Epic for storefront exclusivity partnerships, with the same outcome.

You see where I'm going with this, right? It still just looks like the industry following the path it's been on for the last few years, with or without the EGS.

Well technically Untitled Goose Game's 25% off as a launch promotional price is the highest on the spectrum. Though temporary, I'd say it still actually counts - as many discounts on Steam or with key vendors are regularly only temporary to entice an impulse buy. Honestly, key vendors can go swivel if we start seeing good deals emerge at source from the EGS more often.

But also this is again moving away from why I pulled you up on the "If it was Epic exclusive, I could only buy it on Epic store at full price" statement in the first place. It isn't true, and you've kind of copped to that in the last few messages anyway, so y'know mission accomplished or whatever. Tossing the math at me doesn't really matter that much, because I can't really recall caring enough to dispute it, just that the absolutism of what you had to say doesn't really reflect what's going on with the EGS for the moment. Markdowns for EGS exclusives aren't as frequent, and aren't quite as good, but they do exist, and do generally fit with markdowns you can find for certain new titles coming to Steam.

I'm sure it looks nice on a big long image from /r/PCgaming about why people shouldn't use the EGS, but if you're convinced you can argue against what that particular storefront is doing, why use bogus blanket statements to reinforce your point?

Of course you can single out Epic for the reasons I stated:
- Exclusivity (which means no 3rd party stores or only those allowed to Epic when the publisher is big enough)
- Smaller cut (which is how stores leverage price competition).

Yes, it's possible that some games aren't sold on other places. But it has nothing to do with Steam's policy. It has to do with the publisher selling keys elsewhere. They can do it as much as they want and anywhere they want.
In the case of Epic though, it's a case of store policy.

You're telling me about Untitled Goose Game, I told you why it's irrelevant. It's not a price reduction operated by store competition. It's a pre-order offer that runs limited. If that counts, then I should count the Steam games that released for 40% off during pre-order for various reasons (being a late release or for promotional reasons).
But I dont. Because it's irrelevant to the 3rd party store situation. And the 3rd party store situation show that Epic paying for exclusives means either games not releasing elsewhere... Or when the publisher is powerful enough to demand keys, at a far smaller réduction (10-15%) as demonstrated.

Personally I will happily support any great exclusive EGS games if that means they throwing huge sums of money at the developers to improve their games or in general give incentive for them to put out a great end product. I don't care for bean counting or whatever peanuts discount advantage Steam and other stores have over Epic. Gaming is a huge time waster and really a luxury for those who can afford it, so I'm not waiting for a specific game title to have enough sales in hopes a better sequel might come out of it, when Epic is giving the developers more resources right at the spot and providing me the best gaming experience out of it. And it's not just an opinion as titles like Metro Exodus and Outer Wilds are proof of what EGS backing can do for developers as these are some of the best games out there this year. Hell, I'm all for Shenmue 4 and beyond to be PC Epic only if they are providing extra funding for the series. I'm actually disappointed Epic didn't come sooner to be honest.

I'm glad for you that you have the kind of money to not "bean count or peanut discount". But for some people, 20€ on average on a 60€ game isn't "bean counting or peanuts discount". For someone buying a game every month, or even every two months, that's a saving of 120 to 240€ a year. That means basically, just in saving, that pays you 3 to 6 games. That basically pays you half of your games. Just because you've been "bean counting".

Also I'd like to adress something: "Epic is giving the developpers more resources right at the spot and providing me the best gaming experience out of it"
Excuse me but, since when 3 months or even 1 month before release is "right at the spot" ? The only thing it does indeed is securing the investment done before. But nothing else.
"Metro Exodus is a proof backing can do for those developpers". Are you serious ? The game became exclusive 2 weeks before release. 2 weeks. Where's the backing ? The game was already gold ?

I get it, a lot of people here gets supporter of Epic just because Shenmue is exclusive, because many here feel like criticizing Epic means criticizing Shenmue. I get it. But facts are a reality. It's naive to believe that the strategy behind it is to "support devs" and "fund games" when the strategy behind it is to wait until the very last moment to undercut competition. Yes, the money is good for devs and publishers. But no, Epic's involvement didn't change any of those games when they were so close to release. Those games would've been the same. And before someone tells me "how can you know ?". Pretty simple: You don't change a game in 2 months nor 2 weeks.

Borderlands 3 success goes to show you the overwhelming negative press and bashing on forums is coming from the minority of gamers. Most people don't care about where a game is sold as long as they are not being taken advantage of. I'd be willing to bet money that alot of EGS haters secretly have a EGS account but still bash Epic because you can easily hide behind a keyboard.

This post isn't meant to paint Steam users in a negative light I'll support both Steam and EGS.

Borderlands 3 success goes to show you the overwhelming negative press and bashing on forums is coming from the minority of gamers. Most people don't care about where a game is sold as long as they are not being taken advantage of. I'd be willing to bet money that alot of EGS haters secretly have a EGS account but still bash Epic because you can easily hide behind a keyboard.

This post isn't meant to paint Steam users in a negative light I'll support both Steam and EGS.
I would say that if you are a normal person and want to play a certain game, you will do anyway regardless of its laucher.

To be fair a lot of the initial criticism of EGS seemed valid. I don't know if it is still the case today but I could understand why some people would prefer to have it on steam seeing the issues EGS seemed to have before. That being said, for some people it seems to be pure fanboy-ism which I really don't understand...

I'm glad for you that you have the kind of money to not "bean count or peanut discount". But for some people, 20€ on average on a 60€ game isn't "bean counting or peanuts discount". For someone buying a game every month, or even every two months, that's a saving of 120 to 240€ a year. That means basically, just in saving, that pays you 3 to 6 games. That basically pays you half of your games. Just because you've been "bean counting".

Also I'd like to adress something: "Epic is giving the developpers more resources right at the spot and providing me the best gaming experience out of it"
Excuse me but, since when 3 months or even 1 month before release is "right at the spot" ? The only thing it does indeed is securing the investment done before. But nothing else.
"Metro Exodus is a proof backing can do for those developpers". Are you serious ? The game became exclusive 2 weeks before release. 2 weeks. Where's the backing ? The game was already gold ?

I get it, a lot of people here gets supporter of Epic just because Shenmue is exclusive, because many here feel like criticizing Epic means criticizing Shenmue. I get it. But facts are a reality. It's naive to believe that the strategy behind it is to "support devs" and "fund games" when the strategy behind it is to wait until the very last moment to undercut competition. Yes, the money is good for devs and publishers. But no, Epic's involvement didn't change any of those games when they were so close to release. Those games would've been the same. And before someone tells me "how can you know ?". Pretty simple: You don't change a game in 2 months nor 2 weeks.

No idea where you are getting your math, but I personally paid $10 less than what was originally on Steam for Metro on release. It was cheaper on EGS from the get go (Google it if you don't believe me). Regardless, my comment still stands given that if you got the time to play these supposed extra 6 games a year (specially these big titles), that apparently all Steam users are able to save by not using EGS, then $100 or $200 should be the least of concerns for these people.

Sure, two months upon release might not change much of the games' development but I'm so sure like you that public announcement equates to how long the deals have been going on. I don't know, I wouldn't take as fact or reality that the delay allowance and sudden improvements I've been seeing on the Shenmue 3 within these months have nothing to do with Epic money. And before going back to the argument that the delay only allowed another couple of months worth of extra time, I say again that it's just a public announcement and I see no reason for devs to tell everyone that their game won't make it in time a year or so back when they knew they already might need more time. Even if it was not the case at all, doesn't the money helping post-launch support and DLC count as improving upon the games?

Also you don't get it, as you keep bringing the argument that Epic is only being tolerable here only because of Shenmue 3 while I am stating that I've been supporting games from EGS way before their deal with Ysnet. Anyway, were you really expecting the majority here in a Shenmue forum to be against Epic when most fans just don't care or simply want the series to succeed by any means possible after nearly two decades? You go on about how people here make fun of those "impacted" by Epic, and I say what about others being impacted by this undeserved backlash, like some not being able to get a retail PC physical copy anywhere because retailers have been straight out canceling it due to the backlash?

No idea where you are getting your math, but I personally paid $10 less than what was originally on Steam for Metro on release. It was cheaper on EGS from the get go (Google it if you don't believe me). Regardless, my comment still stands given that if you got the time to play these supposed extra 6 games a year (specially these big titles), that apparently all Steam users are able to save by not using EGS, then $100 or $200 should be the least of concerns for these people.

Sure, two months upon release might not change much of the games' development but I'm so sure like you that public announcement equates to how long the deals have been going on. I don't know, I wouldn't take as fact or reality that the delay allowance and sudden improvements I've been seeing on the Shenmue 3 within these months have nothing to do with Epic money. And before going back to the argument that the delay only allowed another couple of months worth of extra time, I say again that it's just a public announcement and I see no reason for devs to tell everyone that their game won't make it in time a year or so back when they knew they already might need more time. Even if it was not the case at all, doesn't the money helping post-launch support and DLC count as improving upon the games?

Also you don't get it, as you keep bringing the argument that Epic is only being tolerable here only because of Shenmue 3 while I am stating that I've been supporting games from EGS way before their deal with Ysnet. Anyway, were you really expecting the majority here in a Shenmue forum to be against Epic when most fans just don't care or simply want the series to succeed by any means possible after nearly two decades? You go on about how people here make fun of those "impacted" by Epic, and I say what about others being impacted by this undeserved backlash, like some not being able to get a retail PC physical copy anywhere because retailers have been straight out canceling it due to the backlash?

I do believe you. But it was also 10 dollars more expensive than on 3rd party stores, before EGS exclusivity happened and put only one price tag: 50 dollars in USA... 60€ in Europe, against 40€.
Where I'm getting my math ? Pretty simple: MSRP is 60€. Prices go as low as 40€. Even if you don't buy those 6 games, the saving is still here. Saving that much money on games is massive. Now, you can pretend it's nothing, good for you. For others, it's not.

As for the second part of your comment: You're right. Although there are evidence of such: Metro Exodus had their boxart put a sticker on it and the steam codes removed, because it happened that close to release.

As for the backlash cancelling PC retail copies: Where did you see that ? Any source on that ? :)

Guys the Oblits thing was pretty bad(that made it soundlike anyone who criticizes making deals with epic, have no valid reason to not like such/are trolls), and it should be noted, with the exception of Shenmue 3, all the games that have made a deal with EPIC, have been actively promoting their games on steam, up until they made a deal with epic.

In contrast, steam was never mentioned at all during the Shenmue 3 KS, nevermind promoted on steam, and the only time steam was ever mentioned, was in the survey long after KS backer sent their money,

Tim_sweeney_GDCA_2017.jpg

Back