The Epic Games Store thread

Call me optimistic but, Rdr2 is basically cowboy shenmue so what if this plays into indirectly bolstering interest since S3 is the godfather of RDr2's concept/formulae? It'd be a good timing for this marketing angle no?
Do not underestimate the killing power of red dead 2 or any of Rockstar's major releases, especially if it's sitting on the epic games store alongside shenmue 3.

Also I kind of see where people are getting at saying red dead 2 feels like its got some inspiration from shenmue's style, not directly but I think people are referring to how the camp dynamic put a massive focus on smaller slow character interactions and how the world was pretty littered with small unmarked side quests that reveal alot about some npcs. Like one of the most memorable moments in that whole game for me was just helping that one guy slightly outside the the first town build a house with his 2 kids. That game had so many small quiet moments as long as you dont go on a rampage, you don't expect that from AAA games nowadays or even rockstar games at all, but then again red dead 2 is a massive outlier anyway especially with how they handled arthur, they actually did something with the redemption part of the name this time.

But past that its a massive stretch and I think theres a near 0% chance the rockstar devs took any inspiration for shenmue.

But past that its a massive stretch and I think theres a near 0% chance the rockstar devs took any inspiration for shenmue.
All I'm going to say is Rockstar is based in the UK, and as we all know, the UK has the most Shenmue fans per capita than any country on earth. This is a well established fact and I will not hear otherwise.

All I'm going to say is Rockstar is based in the UK, and as we all know, the UK has the most Shenmue fans per capita than any country on earth. This is a well established fact and I will not hear otherwise.
I mean red dead is made from the san diego branch, but rockstar north being from the UK will forever remain one of the funniest details to me about their existence cause people never expect it to be made by a bunch of Scots.

I mean red dead is made from the san diego branch, but rockstar north being from the UK will forever remain one of the funniest details to me about their existence cause people never expect it to be made by a bunch of Scots.
Unless if you know the scots then you realise it makes perfect sense.

Bros. Epic's boss Tim, just tweeted this photo.
I actually asked him about who benefits more from the lower cut's percentage, publisher or developer.
He said that when a game has a separate publisher (shenmue3's case) the money is aplit between the two, devs and publishers.

Still. Ys net will be making more money from each game sold on Epic then on the Ps4!
If you have no aversions twards this storefront, might really help to also buy the game for PC ;)

I'm doing it!

EGS6ReNXYAAt7KF.jpg

I think the problem is, as far as I can tell, the game won't make any money beyond Epic's original purchase/deposit unless it sells a very unrealistic number of units. Correct me if I'm wrong, @GhostTrick...

I think the problem is, as far as I can tell, the game won't make any money beyond Epic's original purchase/deposit unless it sells a very unrealistic number of units. Correct me if I'm wrong, @GhostTrick...
wow... that makes sense !
Anyway, we still don't know the details of the deal, so we can't jump to conclusions.
God! I wish I knew this stuff!

But think about this! If Epic, besides giving a considerable bigger cut to the devs and publishers still secures a good number of copies sold, my God. How stupid would a dev heve to be, to not sign the contract!
Specially when the teams behind the game aren't that big and are really depending on how the game will perform!

Sems like a no brainer to me.

It's all about numbers. And when you understand numbers, things become self explanatory!

Sure but even if it doesnt gain tons of money for DS or YS Net on the Epic Store,
it will still show Epic that this deal was not worthless, even if it just compensates some of their own advance payment.
If Shenmue 4 is not a kickstarter game, we need every help we can get
and Epic seems like a helping hand with deep pockets. Even if it just means more safeness for DS and YS Net,
its better than no help.

That's right. Epic isn't giving free money. They're paying advance.
Which means if you think you're helping YsNet by buying on EGS, you're just being a fool as you're basically paying back the money Epic gave in advance.
If Epic paid 100k copies, then in the first 100k copies, 100% of the money goes to Epic.

Sure but even if it doesnt gain tons of money for DS or YS Net on the Epic Store,
it will still show Epic that this deal was not worthless, even if it just compensates some of their own advance payment.
If Shenmue 4 is not a kickstarter game, we need every help we can get
and Epic seems like a helping hand with deep pockets. Even if it just means more safeness for DS and YS Net,
its better than no help.

Thing is, Epic wont do it forever. It's foolish to think they do it out of generosity. I inow that some people here will defend anything close to Shenmue, directly or indirectly.

But in rational term, all that deal has done was to make Deep Silver get a part of their investment back. In fact, YsNet likely had no saying in that.

And in rational term, you're not helping Shenmue III by buying the game on EGS. Because that's payment in advance. Basically you're making Epic's investment safer.

Thing is, Epic wont do it forever. It's foolish to think they do it out of generosity. I inow that some people here will defend anything close to Shenmue, directly or indirectly.

But in rational term, all that deal has done was to make Deep Silver get a part of their investment back. In fact, YsNet likely had no saying in that.

And in rational term, you're not helping Shenmue III by buying the game on EGS. Because that's payment in advance. Basically you're making Epic's investment safer.

Yeah but i dont see anything bad in it. If Epic gets a little bit of their advance payment back,
maybe they are okay with a bigger advance payment next time.
They are not paying the same amount for every game, it depends. And that means that DS doesnt have to be afraid
of using a bigger budget for S4 because they will get a even larger amount of it back.
We and Shenmue 4 can only profit from that. Next time there should be no Epic drama because
if its published by DS again, we will know that its gonna be on Epic again. If there is no KS campaign for S4,
they should accept every deal to compensate that.

Yeah but i dont see anything bad in it. If Epic gets a little bit of their advance payment back,
maybe they are okay with a bigger advance payment next time.
They are not paying the same amount for every game, it depends. And that means that DS doesnt have to be afraid
of using a bigger budget for S4 because they will get a even larger amount of it back.
We and Shenmue 4 can only profit from that. Next time there should be no Epic drama because
if its published by DS again, we will know that its gonna be on Epic again. If there is no KS campaign for S4,
they should accept every deal to compensate that.

You don't see anything bad in giving money to Epic instead of YsNet ?

Your reasonning is the following:
"If I give money to Epic, they may use that money to help the next game in 2-3 years. Maybe"
But giving your money directly to YsNet/DS means you're funding it for sure. It's not a maybe.

It's not to say that it's really naive to think that in 2-3 years: Epic will keep throwing money. Shenmue IV will be getting money.

Basically, not only it's counterproductive but you're also nullifying the point of that deal. They're getting advance in payment. But if they dont reach the sales, the advance in payment becomes free money.

In more simple term:
YsNet/Deep Silver has 1 million copies of Shenmue III in their hand.
Epic bought 100k to 200k copies (let's say 200k for the sake of it) from YsNet/Deep Silver and paid their cut already. Which means those copies now belong to Epic for 100%.

Your point is basically "I'll buy those copies from Epic's hands so that MAYBE they may buy more copies someday for the next game" instead of "I'll buy those copies from YsNet/Deep Silver since they already sold some to Epic and they need to sell the rest".

In more simple term:
YsNet/Deep Silver has 1 million copies of Shenmue III in their hand.
Epic bought 100k to 200k copies (let's say 200k for the sake of it) from YsNet/Deep Silver and paid their cut already. Which means those copies now belong to Epic for 100%.

Your point is basically "I'll buy those copies from Epic's hands so that MAYBE they may buy more copies someday for the next game" instead of "I'll buy those copies from YsNet/Deep Silver since they already sold some to Epic and they need to sell the rest".

The point is that we have no idea how much Epic paid or is willing to pay.
As you can see, Epic is willing to pay a lot of money for other games. Millions.
So yes, i think sometimes it can be a better deal to buy already paid copies from Epic
when its not clear how strong or weak the IP is. It doesnt harm Deep Silver or YS Net,
Deep Silver pays YS Net and Deep Silver has a advance payment from Epic for more safety.
A contract with Epic is a real contract, they can 100% rely on what they agreed to, its safe.
Hoping that there will be enough people to compensate the Epic deal numbers is not safe.
Look at Remedys Control, Epic paid 10.5 million dollars, Remedy made 5.22 million €
and 505 games made 4.30 million € in advance with that deal. Thats safe money.
Maybe Steam would have raised more money, maybe. But maybe is not safe.

The point is that we have no idea how much Epic paid or is willing to pay.
As you can see, Epic is willing to pay a lot of money for other games. Millions.
So yes, i think sometimes it can be a better deal to buy already paid copies from Epic
when its not clear how strong or weak the IP is. It doesnt harm Deep Silver or YS Net,
Deep Silver pays YS Net and Deep Silver has a advance payment from Epic for more safety.
A contract with Epic is a real contract, they can 100% rely on what they agreed to, its safe.
Hoping that there will be enough people to compensate the Epic deal numbers is not safe.
Look at Remedys Control, Epic paid 10.5 million dollars, Remedy made 5.22 million €
and 505 games made 4.30 million € in advance with that deal. Thats safe money.
Maybe Steam would have raised more money, maybe. But maybe is not safe.

You're the one talking about maybe here !
You're saying "it's safer to give money to Epic because MAYBE they'll give again to Shenmue 3".
I'm telling you "It's safer to give money to YsNet/Deep Silver".

Basically : Do you give money to Epic or YsNet/DS.
You're telling me "Epic".
Your reasonning is 100% faulty.

You're the one talking about maybe here !
You're saying "it's safer to give money to Epic because MAYBE they'll give again to Shenmue 3".
I'm telling you "It's safer to give money to YsNet/Deep Silver".

Basically : Do you give money to Epic or YsNet/DS.
You're telling me "Epic".
Your reasonning is 100% faulty.

No its not. The advance payment from Epic to make it Epic exclusive is a 100% safe deal, its a contract.
Deep Silver wouldnt accept it, if it wouldnt make sense. Its a deal for more safety because
its more safe to get 200.000+ paid copies by Epic than relying on that the game will sell 200.000 copies on PC anyways.
Our money isnt worth more than Epics, money is money. Why would i decline a deal that compensates
a big chunk of sales numbers when i dont know if my IP would ever reach these kind of numbers without help?
Yes, maybe they wont help with Shenmue 4, i dont know, you dont know. Fact is that this isnt Deep Silvers first deal with Epic, fact is that they are helping with Shenmue 3 and it doesnt hurt or harm anyone, we have absolutely zero disadvantages.
Otherwise that deal wouldnt make any kind of sense and no publisher on this earth would accept it.

I think its kind of funny how you are going on and on what better deals you personally can get without Epic,
how everything is cheaper and that you still insist on the best offers because you can buy more games.
Main point is me me me me me. I want i want i want.
But on the other hand you wont approve any exclusive publisher / platform deal that is helping out
with way more money on one single product than you are willing to pay.
Its totally okay for you to have benefits and get the best deals but safety deals for publishers, no thats evil.

No its not. The advance payment from Epic to make it Epic exclusive is a 100% safe deal, its a contract.
Deep Silver wouldnt accept it, if it wouldnt make sense. Its a deal for more safety because
its more safe to get 200.000+ paid copies by Epic than relying on that the game will sell 200.000 copies on PC anyways.
Our money isnt worth more than Epics, money is money. Why would i decline a deal that compensates
a big chunk of sales numbers when i dont know if my IP would ever reach these kind of numbers without help?
Yes, maybe they wont help with Shenmue 4, i dont know, you dont know. Fact is that this isnt Deep Silvers first deal with Epic, fact is that they are helping with Shenmue 3 and it doesnt hurt or harm anyone, we have absolutely zero disadvantages.
Otherwise that deal wouldnt make any kind of sense and no publisher on this earth would accept it.

Uh, I think we have a misunderstanding here.

Just to be clear: Deep Silver already got the money for advance payment. If Epic bought 200K copies, the money is already in the hand of Deep Silver.

Now, what does it mean ?
The first 200k copies sold on Epic Store, all the revenue goes to Epic. 100% of it. Because it's an advance in payment.
If they sell 0 copies, then Deep Silver gets to keep the advance in payment.

Do you see my point now ?

In more simple words with a more simple exemple:
Deep Silver has 1000 copies of Shenmue. They sell them for 10 dollars. That's 10000 dollars in total.
Epic bought 200 copies of Shenmue for 9 dollars (because of their cut) in advance. That means they paid 1800 dollars to Deep Silver in advance for those copies. Those 200 copies Epic will sell, Epic will receive 100% of revenue because they already paid the cut to Deep Silver.
Deep Silver has 800 copies left.
700 people wants to buy Shenmue.

if 200 buy from Epic and 500 buy from Deep Silver, Deep Silver gets in total 6800 dollars.
If no one buy from Epic and 700 buy from Deep Silver, Deep Silver gets in total 8800 dollars. See my point ?

Epic already BOUGHT those copies. If you buy them from Epic, no money is going to Deep Silver because they got it in advance. Instead of buying from Epic, buy from Deep Silver, which means they get to keep the advance in payment AND new payment.

I think its kind of funny how you are going on and on what better deals you personally can get without Epic,
how everything is cheaper and that you still insist on the best offers because you can buy more games.
Main point is me me me me me. I want i want i want.
But on the other hand you wont approve any exclusive publisher / platform deal that is helping out
with way more money on one single product than you are willing to pay.
Its totally okay for you to have benefits and get the best deals but safety deals for publishers, no thats evil.

You totally misunderstanding me right now. I'm actually telling you here the best deal for Deep Silver is to get the money and the sales.
You're telling me that you rather make Epic back on their investment rather than Deep Silver. You're making literally 0 sense here.

Back