What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

I think we hardcore community Shenmue fans underestimate the silent majority of casual fans who are also eagerly anticipating this game. I know Japan isn't Shenmue's biggest market. There's a decent sized fanbase here in North America, but I'm always impressed how big Shenmue is on European territories.

Some interesting info

GAME UK's coming soon for Playstation 4 - sorted by best seller - has Shenmue III with the steelbook at #35. That might sound bad, but naturally, games about to come out (i.e October's upcoming releases) are naturally going to be nearer the top. But it is one place behind Death Stranding, a game that comes out 10 days before, with some serious Sony marketing muscle behind it. It is also ahead of Need for Speed - what used to be a HUGE franchise in the UK, which also comes out the same day as Death Stranding. Now taking Shenmue's budget into account, which will be way less than either of those, and when you consider backers are already getting their copies, I think that's really positive. Not to mention the CE comes under a different SKU, so none of those preorders are taken into account (as it's can't be purchased at the moment - the same as TLOU2 collectors edition which is also sold out)

BestBuy USA's coming soon for Playstation 4 - sorted by best seller - has Shenmue with the steelbook at #7. Again, this is in front of Death Stranding (#8) The Outer Worlds (#9 - Which is also an October release by Obsidian no less) and Star Wars:Jedi Fallen Order (#10)

#1 to #6 are Call of Duty (no surprise), The Last of Us Part II, The Last of Us Part II CE, FF7 Remake, WWE WK20 Deluxe, and then Jedi Fallen Order Deluxe.

For comparison, Doom Eternal , also with an exclusive Steelbook and coming in 3 days after Shenmue III, is #20.

The fact that Shenmue is hanging with all those big franchises is a massive positive indicator IMO. The Steelbook bonus has been up for months on best buy as well, so it's not like a sudden surge of orders either.

This game is going to defy our expectations I just know it. Bare in mind there are no reviews at this point so these orders are being made upon what has been shown so far.

That's pretty good, but Doom Eternal being so low on the list is confusing, whatever. Yep, I've been saying all along people are greatly underestimating the selling power Shenmue 3 will have.

That's pretty good, but Doom Eternal being so low on the list is confusing, whatever. Yep, I've been saying all along people are greatly underestimating the selling power Shenmue 3 will have.

Sega being the most guilty party of this. They could've been mad amounts of Shenmue money YEARS ago but I digress :)

I can only assume Doom is so low because Bethesda games have a habit of dropping in price very quickly and players are getting fed up of their , ahem, 'quality' control, or another US retailer has a better promotion.

Personally, i love shooting demons in the face so I'll be getting it...at christmas when Shenmue III's been finished haha

Sega being the most guilty party of this. They could've been mad amounts of Shenmue money YEARS ago but I digress :)

Yea, but you're talking about the same Sega, that not only wont localize anything that's not Sonic/Yakuza outside of Japan, but they will refuse to allow anyone else to either.

I can only assume Doom is so low because Bethesda games have a habit of dropping in price very quickly and players are getting fed up of their , ahem, 'quality' control, or another US retailer has a better promotion.

Personally, i love shooting demons in the face so I'll be getting it...at christmas when Shenmue III's been finished haha

True, but you would think the Steelbook would offset that. As for quality control issues, that doesn't really apply here, as this is a id game, technically not Bethesda(believe me, even the average gamer knows that distinction).

Yea, but you're talking about the same Sega, that not only wont localize anything that's not Sonic/Yakuza outside of Japan, but they will refuse to allow anyone else to either.
they refused to localize yakuza too until a bunch of people threw a hissy fit on a sony twitter initiative to get the fifth game 3 years late on a console generation that essentially already ended. That franchise was almost dead as hell in the west.

I love sega's games, but man do they make frustrating bussiness decisions and many great series die cause of it, though some I cant even blame them for like I have no idea why valkyria chronicles 4 bombed so badly, it kills me that its probably a dead franchise AGAIN. I will however blame them for their galaxy brained move to make a action spin off before 4.

though some I cant even blame them for like I have no idea why valkyria chronicles 4 bombed so badly
It really doesn't help that 2 and 3 are still only available on PSP, and 3 in particular doesn't even have an official english translation.

they refused to localize yakuza too until a bunch of people threw a hissy fit on a sony twitter initiative to get the fifth game 3 years late on a console generation that essentially already ended. That franchise was almost dead as hell in the west.

I love sega's games, but man do they make frustrating bussiness decisions and many great series die cause of it, though some I cant even blame them for like I have no idea why valkyria chronicles 4 bombed so badly, it kills me that its probably a dead franchise AGAIN. I will however blame them for their galaxy brained move to make a action spin off before 4.

Yea that's true, I remember that, they went years without localizing Yakuza, which made a lot of people rightfully angry.

Yea sigh, It's like I always say though, Sega doesn't like to make money(hell they seem downright allergic to money).

Yea that's true, I remember that, they went years without localizing Yakuza, which made a lot of people rightfully angry.

Yea sigh, It's like I always say though, Sega doesn't like to make money(hell they seem downright allergic to money).
The yakuza one still frustrates me not cause I am a die hard, but cause they had the perfect opportunity to put it on the map with a still unlocalized game. Ishin was a super-duper early ps4 game only a couple months after launch and actually on launch day in japan, had that been localized for a worldwide release then you would look at the ps4's absolutely dreadful early launch titles, and youd have the choice between the worst killzone, freaking knack, or this totally rad samurai game. I guarantee you people without even an inkling of an idea of what yakuza even was would be interested in it and with it being totally standalone it could of sparked alot more interest in the series overall before 0 ever did. But alas, that didn't happen and they put their effort into freaking dead souls, and we may never get ishin anyway. Even now the producer of the series said they considered it but they are still uncertain if it would appeal to western audiences, like the west doesn't already fetishize samurai as really cool.

Sega makes some really confounding decisions, like youd almost expect them to make a HD super monkey ball of the one that started the downward trend in quality rather than the 2 people really like before it.

Under-utilized hits I still smh @ Sega for not seizing the opportunity:

-Reviving the JSF franchise when spaltoon became a thing. Cel Shaded edgy games was Sega's ballpark before Ninty decided to cash in on it.

-Virtua Fighter 6 is long overdue. Fighting games are making a resurgence atm as well adding to the headscratch of not riding this wave.

-Outrun 3 will have almost no direct competitor so idk why not. Also it has a legacy brand recognition advantage.

-Valkyria Chronicle Collection. We need all entries easily accessible and chronologically ordered.

-Sonic adventure 3

--Panzer Dragoon Saga remake/sequel will be a system seller for who ever Sega graces their platform with.

-Sakura wars 1-4 is still never remade/ported to the west even tho it has a die-hard fanbase & is a cult classic.

Last but not least, burning 60m on a flopped AAA game that wasn't Shenmue 3, and then missing the publishing boat completely with YS.

:cautious:

-Reviving the JSF franchise when spaltoon became a thing. Cel Shaded edgy games was Sega's ballpark before Ninty decided to cash in on it.

-Virtua Fighter 6 is long overdue. Fighting games are making a resurgence atm as well adding to the headscratch of not riding this wave.

-Outrun 3 will have almost no direct competitor so idk why not. Also it has a legacy brand recognition advantage.

-Valkyria Chronicle Collection. We need all entries easily accessible and chronologically ordered.

-Sonic adventure 3

--Panzer Dragoon Saga remake/sequel will be a system seller for who ever Sega graces their platform with.

-Sakura wars 1-4 is still never remade/ported to the west even tho it has a die-hard fanbase & is a cult classic.

Last but not least, burning 60m on a flopped AAA game that wasn't Shenmue 3, and then missing the publishing boat completely with YS.

pretty much all of these, though give panzer dragoon saga a bit of time, the franchise is at least coming back now with 1 and 2 being remade. It could happen though a bit doubtful. VF6 on the other hand is high and far the most confusing one ever, like I get that fighting games are really hard to make, but come on we are nearing a return to the golden age right now and if freaking snk, a company that for all intents and purposes was dead for years, can come back with some great games, then sega can too.

Its not even too late, the fgc is expanding rapidly and its becoming a craze again, they can still make a new one or any fighting game for that matter and try to capitalize on it, it will require talent but come on at least try.

Virtua Fighter needs strong direction. I know 5 was directed by someone other than Yu, but I think that’s what’s holding it back. They need the right talent and team to make a new game and it seems they lack all of that since they’ve got their top talent working on a select few games.

I give Sega a slight pass for Panzer Dragoon Saga not being remade. From what I recall, Sega lost the source code to the game.

While we're talking about Virtua Fighter. I wish Sega would throw us a bone and release footage of Saturn Virtua Fighter 3 and on a slightly unrelated note, Rare should release footage of the near complete SNES version of Killer Instinct 2.

-Sonic adventure 3

Yea wasn't Sega the publisher of Aliens Colonial Marines, WTF were they thinking. Not only would Yu Suzuki make a masterpiece, wouldn't have cost anywhere near that.

Not allowing the million and one companies to localize 7th Dragon was beyond idiotic as well, Sega would've made money without doing anything.

Not localizing SF Feather in a era where FE is blowing up the charts, was yet another dumb move.

I can go on all day, like are they actually holding ATLUS back these days sigh, just let ATLUS do their thing.

I give Sega a slight pass for Panzer Dragoon Saga not being remade. From what I recall, Sega lost the source code to the game.

While we're talking about Virtua Fighter. I wish Sega would throw us a bone and release footage of Saturn Virtua Fighter 3 and on a slightly unrelated note, Rare should release footage of the near complete SNES version of Killer Instinct 2.

A company claiming they lost the source code, is literally the industry's version of the dog ate my homework.

We all know It's BS. Hey square, nice to finally get FF 8 upscaled/ported to newer systems lol.

A company claiming they lost the source code, is literally the industry's version of the dog ate my homework.

We all know It's BS. Hey square, nice to finally get FF 8 upscaled/ported to newer systems lol.
Wouldn't you much rather they made a real turn based Final Fantasy again instead with mini games and all? Why rehash, and re release. If that's what the fans seem to want, they should go back to their roots, but do it like Suzuki is. Using the best of today's tech. I'd much rather get something called Final Fantasy 16, but in reality was Final Fantasy real 11. Never gonna happen I guess. They'd need different people in charge.

Wouldn't you much rather they made a real turn based Final Fantasy again instead with mini games and all? Why rehash, and re release. If that's what the fans seem to want, they should go back to their roots, but do it like Suzuki is. Using the best of today's tech. I'd much rather get something called Final Fantasy 16, but in reality was Final Fantasy real 11. Never gonna happen I guess. They'd need different people in charge.

Natually, but It's not about what their fans want, It's about what takes the least amount of effort. A turn based RPG relies on systems, and good mapping, both are more time consuming then just slapping a action based battle system together, and making a generic wide open field, so this is really the most we can hope for sigh.

Back