What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

Basically anywhere Epic Games is accessible plus China. That should cover all countries.

MMaybe there is such a list on Epic's website.

Anyway, I won’t rely too much on the positive outcome of reviews.
Take a look at Remedy’s Control, it received very positive reviews, but still, it isn’t selling very well (despite it is the best TPS I’ve ever played).
The game appear to be unsuccessful on both PC and Console because of its odd presentation, something that it share with Shenmue 3.
Remedy might be economically saved by the 9 millions deal with Epic to get the one year exclusive over Steam, which covers more than 1/3 of the budget, and I hope the same for YS Net if the worst scenario were to happen.
I know I don’t sound very optimistic, but I prefer to be surprised by its success rather than disappointed by its poor sales.

Control is very bold, almost abstract in it's presentation, clinical almost. It has zero brand recognition being a new IP, comes after the studio's weakest release to date in Quantum Break. Day one reports of poor performance on base consoles, no HDR support despite being a perfect candidate for that technology, it being bundled with certain graphics card which were then resold on ebay etc all of that contributed to it's lower than expected sales.

I am a big fan of Remedy but even I haven't bought Control yet as a linear 8 hour 3rd person shooter just has price drop written all over it (which it has). It's on my christmas list from the wife.

I'm not saying Shenmue doesn't have it's own challenges (it certainly does) but we have to look at things like the constant sell out of special editions, pix 'n' love edition being annouced etc if there were no market for these things publishers wouldn't be producing them at the rate they are. Good demo, legacy IP, twenty year history etc all these things are positive indicators

It is a bit unfortunate. Heck, Kid Nocon’s working on the game...

The asian market is almost never a target market of Deep Silver, if you look at some of their published games
like Kingdom Come, the upcoming Iron Harvest, Outward, Dead Island or Saints Row 4,
their own original published games almost never have other languages than the european / western languages.
Asian languages are only available if its a huge IP like Metro Exodus or if Deep Silver
is using a asian publishing partner like Spike Chunsoft, DMM games etc.
So they probably didnt contact anyone about a Korean version.

Does Tencent or Epic have a storefront in Korea?

Epic Games Store is available in South Korea and you can find Shenmue 3 in that korean version of the store
but it says at the bottom that korean language is not included.

I'm kind of a little concerned about the sales. I think it will be easier to call when we get closer to release. At the moment, I'm more worried about the sales than the reviews.
In 1999-2001 every DC owner had to buy 2 copies to have 1&2 make a profit. Now you've a PS4 giant in Japan, and you've a PC here, and a PS4. Flood any YouTube videos about the best games in 2019 with bits featuring ONLY sparring from S3, then a few mastered one inch punches, then a fight with one of the monks. The video can freaking be 2 minutes. I could do it, but I'm not great at editing them after the capture. You'd be so surprised with so many Martial Arts films fans having zero idea this GEM was out in 1999-2001, and is coming out now. If you add in the description there are many more moves to learn throughout the game, watch the interest go up. Marketing for 1&2 was horrible IMO. The wrong bits were shown from the moment 1. The wrong bits were shoved in your face from the moment one till the hour 2 of playing also IMO. This is our chance here. If I never knew Shenmue existed, and saw it in a video searching for games of 2019, I swear I'd be insanely interested. Even if I was 20, and never had a chance to even see 1&2 before this...

Epic Games Store is available in South Korea and you can find Shenmue 3 in that korean version of the store
but it says at the bottom that korean language is not included.
Like that matters. I've played 1&2 in Russian years ago. Russificators are there for all non official releases of popular games in Russia. South Korea being another advanced electronics producing country has to have 1 million geeks making their version regardless of what the Epic Store does. I've zero doubt on that point.

I'd love a million and I believe it is possible. Those of us who had the first games as teens, now have disposable income. PS4 install base is enormous. Games are now released simultaneously worldwide. Collectors editions have sold very very well, and digital copies drive revenue well after the launch window. Twenty years is a long time to pick up residual fans

Darksiders 3 is an interesting comparison. Also published by Deep Silver.

Originally reported as a sales flop here in the UK:

It was later reported they made the development budget back and they were happy with sales:

and of course, another Darksiders game, though admittadely a spin off, is coming very soon.

Shenmue already has in it's favour a well received demo, a sold out US collectors edition, and a christmas release.
and of course, the majority of Shenmue 3's development has been prepaid by kickstarter.

There's no way I can see it doing worse than Darksiders 3
Try to spam martial arts bits on your UK forums from S3. Capture sparring, and 1 inch punch. Capture some fight moments pulling the moves off. Don't stress the locales or the story. You'll enter the graphics discussion immediately, and lose it there. Post those bits on discussing the games of 2019, not Shenmue 3 threads. There are many martial arts geeks that know zero about Shenmue existing. The trailers released even now in 2019 are horrible. The first glance of many will be lost from the first minute shown, I'm sorry to say. It's up to us now.

Will Shenmue be available in the ASEAN region including Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, as well as Taiwan, Macau?

That alone represents a huge potential market for sales.

Will Shenmue be available in the ASEAN region including Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, as well as Taiwan, Macau?

That alone represents a huge potential market for sales.
I'm sure the PS4 version will be regardless of the country. As far as Epic Store and the PC version, Research what VPN is. Mask your IP as a U.S. IP. Once downloaded after you sign in with your Facebook, or Google You can sideload into Steam too. Point is, if you want a Shenmue 3 in that region, you'll get it. Same as I got the British Shenmue 2 for the U.S. DC.

NO,china mainland can't access shenmue3 on epic store.

i think if a brand new super small hardcore indie rpg game like Outward (40€ retail) can sell 400.000 copies
without any big promotion (not even PS3 graphics),
and someone like Sega was happy about 1 mil sold Yakuza 6 copies
(PS4 only and new players couldnt even play the old games on PS4)
its realistic that Shenmue 3 will sell between 600.000-800.000 minimum in a time frame of 3-9 months.
i really dont think that it will crash completely. if there are positive reviews and positive fan feedback,
other people will notice that its a unique hand made game with a soul, perfect for a relaxed game session around christmas.
That's what I'm afraid of."Mister lets go to the arcade!" Instead screen 1 image one tornado kick in action. Second screen, monks practicing. 3rd screen 1 inch punch. I said that a lot, but so many martial arts fans out there. So few even know Shenmue ever existed. If the right type of trailers made by the fans show up in discussions of any 2019 games, you'd be stunned how many new fans Shenmue would get. What trailers I saw were all screwed up. I wish I was good at video editing...

What trailers I saw were all screwed up. I wish I was good at video editing...
Same. I think it would be pretty cool to see some fanmade trailers, especially post release when everyone has more material to work with. I think we'd see some pretty amazing stuff.

Some interesting info

GAME UK's coming soon for Playstation 4 - sorted by best seller - has Shenmue III with the steelbook at #35. That might sound bad, but naturally, games about to come out (i.e October's upcoming releases) are naturally going to be nearer the top. But it is one place behind Death Stranding, a game that comes out 10 days before, with some serious Sony marketing muscle behind it. It is also ahead of Need for Speed - what used to be a HUGE franchise in the UK, which also comes out the same day as Death Stranding. Now taking Shenmue's budget into account, which will be way less than either of those, and when you consider backers are already getting their copies, I think that's really positive. Not to mention the CE comes under a different SKU, so none of those preorders are taken into account (as it's can't be purchased at the moment - the same as TLOU2 collectors edition which is also sold out)

BestBuy USA's coming soon for Playstation 4 - sorted by best seller - has Shenmue with the steelbook at #7. Again, this is in front of Death Stranding (#8) The Outer Worlds (#9 - Which is also an October release by Obsidian no less) and Star Wars:Jedi Fallen Order (#10)

#1 to #6 are Call of Duty (no surprise), The Last of Us Part II, The Last of Us Part II CE, FF7 Remake, WWE WK20 Deluxe, and then Jedi Fallen Order Deluxe.

For comparison, Doom Eternal , also with an exclusive Steelbook and coming in 3 days after Shenmue III, is #20.

The fact that Shenmue is hanging with all those big franchises is a massive positive indicator IMO. The Steelbook bonus has been up for months on best buy as well, so it's not like a sudden surge of orders either.

This game is going to defy our expectations I just know it. Bare in mind there are no reviews at this point so these orders are being made upon what has been shown so far.

Last edited:
Back