What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

A company claiming they lost the source code, is literally the industry's version of the dog ate my homework.

We all know It's BS. Hey square, nice to finally get FF 8 upscaled/ported to newer systems lol.
Its not BS. Companies do lose source code, A LOT.

Square Enix completely remade Kingdom Hearts for KHHD for example, because they lost the source code.

Its not BS. Companies do lose source code, A LOT.

Square Enix completely remade Kingdom Hearts for KHHD for example, because they lost the source code.

There are these things called decompilers though, so a source code is never truly lost.

Speaking of which, why is it only a few companies seem to have this issue. The lead developer still had the King's quest source code, original prototypes, and everything else involved with the project, among many other Sierra games, and Sierra Isn't even around anymore, yet Square keeps losing their source codes.

What makes it even weirder, is It's Square, they know damn well they'll need such in the future, because they port/rerelease more games then they make. How hard is it to copy a source code, and throw it in a vault?

If Shenmue can reach 1 million sales, I think the next game will be massive in both breadth and scope. Development costs could even reach Yakuza level around the $30 million mark if Shenmue 3 is a success.

Virtua Fighter needs strong direction. I know 5 was directed by someone other than Yu, but I think that’s what’s holding it back. They need the right talent and team to make a new game and it seems they lack all of that since they’ve got their top talent working on a select few games.

Yup Am2 is spread prolly too thin and making Miku games and side arcade projects. Also, lacks someone with a Vision for progress and forward thinking mentality. Suzuki wanting to visit the IP again for one more Sequel is Sega's biggest break if they can realize it.:whistle:

So DOOM got delayed. That's one less big marketing push taking focus away from Shenmue III. I love Doom but I can wait until next year.

It's quite interesting. It's really Death Stranding and Shenmue III now. Both by hugely influential japanese developers. One with an absurd budget, one with a meagre one by comparison. One that has confused and intrigued in equal measure. One that has turned it's fortunes around with a cracking demo and drastically improved marketing.

Really interesting to see this play out.

So DOOM got delayed. That's one less big marketing push taking focus away from Shenmue III. I love Doom but I can wait until next year.

It's quite interesting. It's really Death Stranding and Shenmue III now. Both by hugely influential japanese developers. One with an absurd budget, one with a meagre one by comparison. One that has confused and intrigued in equal measure. One that has turned it's fortunes around with a cracking demo and drastically improved marketing.

Really interesting to see this play out.

Oh yea forgot about that, well then nothing to worry about.

Many people are still going to get Death Stranding, especially Youtubers, but to most people, that IP may as well already be dead. It's literally a package delivery simulator, with a very bland looking landscape. If there's any more to the game, no one can tell, because if there was more to it all, then the marketing was as trashy as can be.

You'll get people bying Death Stranding for no other reason then It's Kojima sure, but I 100% expect Shenmue 3 to appeal more to the mainstream then Death Stranding will.

GAME sold out of the CE again. Stock continues to go very quickly in certain markets.

You'll get people bying Death Stranding for no other reason then It's Kojima sure, but I 100% expect Shenmue 3 to appeal more to the mainstream then Death Stranding will.
I dunno about this.

I know Kojima is trying to peg Death Stranding like a different kind of game (revolutionary in some capacity? IDK, not really convinced personally), but it ticks a vast amount of boxes for mainstream appeal even if the story seems like pseudo-scientific cod-psychology mush.

At the end of the day, DS has recognisable film and television stars in it, AAA production values, a huge marketing push, and a name-brand developer attached. It could be a game about farming alpacas and would probably sell well to the mainstream by the sheer weight of money behind the project.

I think a realistic goal of 500k is a good target, Sold probs around 10% of that already with the different collectors editions.

I have a feeling its down to us Shenmue fans buying multiple copies of we are to see Shenmue IV though.

I think a realistic goal of 500k is a good target, Sold probs around 10% of that already with the different collectors editions.

I have a feeling its down to us Shenmue fans buying multiple copies of we are to see Shenmue IV though.

You do realize your numbers basically state, only fie hard fans are going to buy Shenmue, no one else. You, and anyone else posting such crazy low numbers are underestimating Shenmue to the extreme, as well as the marketing power of Shenmue 3.

Shenmue 3 Isn't even out, yet, yet I've been seeing being try out the older games(they're almost older then they all lol), and like them. This alone proves It's not only going to sell to the diehards, and do I need to remind you how powerful a tool Youtube is, for a gave as diverse/complex as a Shenmue game. The Shenmue franchise is like the holy grail for fan made videos/content, and It's enjoyable as hell to stream as well.

You do realize your numbers basically state, only fie hard fans are going to buy Shenmue, no one else. You, and anyone else posting such crazy low numbers are underestimating Shenmue to the extreme, as well as the marketing power of Shenmue 3.

Shenmue 3 Isn't even out, yet, yet I've been seeing being try out the older games(they're almost older then they all lol), and like them. This alone proves It's not only going to sell to the diehards, and do I need to remind you how powerful a tool Youtube is, for a gave as diverse/complex as a Shenmue game. The Shenmue franchise is like the holy grail for fan made videos/content, and It's enjoyable as hell to stream as well.

Yes I think keeping expectations in check and targeting a solid half million is a good target to strive for, anymore than that is fantastic and will surely help with Yu Suzuki in finding a publisher quickly for part IV.

500k is not crazy low numbers for a kickstarter game that has been made exclusive on the epic game store on PC for a year please don't think that's not going to hurt sales overall because it is.

In an ideal world I am hoping it breaks 1 million but because of what happened with the Deepsilver/Epic fiasco I feel 500k is a fair target sorry that my opinion angers you lol.

Also yes YouTube is a wonderful thing it's also cancerous and makes me want to throw up at the same time especially with how Shenmue 3 and the whole kickstarter has been portrayed.

Yes I think keeping expectations in check and targeting a solid half million is a good target to strive for, anymore than that is fantastic and will surely help with Yu Suzuki in finding a publisher quickly for part IV.

500k is not crazy low numbers for a kickstarter game that has been made exclusive on the epic game store on PC for a year please don't think that's not going to hurt sales overall because it is.

In an ideal world I am hoping it breaks 1 million but because of what happened with the Deepsilver/Epic fiasco I feel 500k is a fair target sorry that my opinion angers you lol.

Also yes YouTube is a wonderful thing it's also cancerous and makes me want to throw up at the same time especially with how Shenmue 3 and the whole kickstarter has been portrayed.

You throw the word kickstarter around, as if Shenmue 3 is the first entry of a new IP, and Yu Suzuki was just some random developer lol

A supposed fiasco that people care so little about, it hasn't been talked about in awhile now. Know why no one cares about it, it wasn't promoted as a steam game during the KS at all, and the EPIC deal ultimately lead to a better game.

Sure to an extent, an extent that wasn't to the point it could hurt the KS at all. Do you not remember the smear campaigns people were running the day after the KS launched. Just do what we did then, combat false info, with the correct info. I can assure you, the cancerous aspect of Youtube wont be as bad as it was then.

As far as the general perception of the project goes, the perfect remedy for that, is a quality game, if the game doesn't suck(which it wont, infact the evidence implies It's going to be great), they wont have fuel to use.

I just want to add an addendum that Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star are also killer apps for Sega if they can get

visionary Rieko Kodama to direct/produced another entry as well. Ironically she is still a lead at Sega so the decision to not make another entry is a head scratch moment as well.

Tetsuya Mizuguchi to direct another Space Channel 5(Arguably best rhythm game of all time) is another money printer.

~back to thread topic~

If I can get enough to confirm a Sequel ala SIV idc how many it sold. But a good morale boost ballpark would be 1m+ as wished by Cedric.

ps. A Seaman new entry would be hyped as well after becoming such a cult classic hit becuz of SNS.

You throw the word kickstarter around, as if Shenmue 3 is the first entry of a new IP, and Yu Suzuki was just some random developer lol.

What on earth???? I think you need to calm down a bit you are incredibly hostile.

I haven't posted on the dojo in over 10 years and now I remember why......

What on earth???? I think you need to calm down a bit you are incredibly hostile.

I haven't posted on the dojo in over 10 years and now I remember why......

That Isn't hostile, don't post insane statements like that, if you are unwilling to accept that people are going to state, how insane such a statement is.

I'm just helping you see how crazy that statement was, nothing more, there's no hostility in my reply at all.

That Isn't hostile, don't post insane statements like that, if you are unwilling to accept that people are going to state, how insane such a statement is.

I'm just helping you see how crazy that statement was, nothing more, there's no hostility in my reply at all.

I think the only person who is crazy here is yourself thinking that Shenmue 3 will have more appeal than Death Stranding to the mainstream....

DS looks boring to me personally but seriously YOU are insane if you honestly think that Shenmue will be more popular to the masses, DS has extreme press coverage and Sony are pushing it big time it is also a hideo kojima game who is worshipped.

Insane if you think S3 is selling millions because it isn't please get real and keep expectations in check.

I think the only person who is crazy here is yourself thinking that Shenmue 3 will have more appeal than Death Stranding to the mainstream....

DS looks boring to me personally but seriously YOU are insane if you honestly think that Shenmue will be more popular to the masses, DS has extreme press coverage and Sony are pushing it big time it is also a hideo kojima game who is worshipped.

Insane if you think S3 is selling millions because it isn't please get real and keep expectations in check.

You do realize Kojima is just the Stephen King of the VG industry don't you? Shenmue 3 will easily have more mainstream appeal then Death Stranding, and no amount of overpaid Hollywood actors, is going to make up for a lack of gameplay.

Don't believe me, fine, see for your self when Shenmue 3 comes out, which games gets the most buzz, and still talked about way after release.

Even the biggest Kojima fans aren't liking what they are seeing, and have lost all hope for good gameplay, and now just hoping atleast the story will be good.

You do realize Kojima is just the Stephen King of the VG industry don't you? Shenmue 3 will easily have more mainstream appeal then Death Stranding, and no amount of overpaid Hollywood actors, is going to make up for a lack of gameplay.

Don't believe me, fine, see for your self when Shenmue 3 comes out, which games gets the most buzz, and still talked about way after release.
While i'm hopeful for Shenmue 3, there is no way it will get more buzz than Death Stranding. That's just crazy talk lol

DSs buzz is already dead. It will get a resurgence upon release no doubt, but after a week, no one will be talking about it anymore, and Shenmue 3 will still be getting talked about.
I mean I could care less about the game but I don't see what the point is of denying it's popularity and interest among ps4 owners.

After Shenmue 3 launches on Nov 19, the gaming release calendar is essentially clear right up until January 17, 2020 with the release of DBZ Kakarot.

Back