Random Shenmue III Thoughts

But when 70% of the yelling comes from one place, well, it says a lot.

Its not to criticize Americans either, btw; I've been pointing out that they are the source behind the majority of the whining, since the very beginning and I've been doing this solely to point out that it is *1* country/demographic/etc. that is parroting this the most, while the rest of us are being level-headed and understanding.

... because the majority of English-language coverage is American?

Have you noticed that 96% of murderers eat bread? We should ban bread.

There are plenty of good reasons to criticize Anerica, but our treatment of Shenmue isn’t one of them. Peter Moore is on you guys...

Recent my ass, at least since 2010, the moment HDD were implemented into consoles the door was open. I can't recall a single game I have worked for that did not have a Day 1 Update/patch and I started working on VG during the Xbox 360/PS3 later years.

But why is it necessary? That's like handing in an assignment and then asking the prof for it back two days later to make ammendments. The idea of this this whole thing is just beyond me. Imagine if Hollywood did this, where they had to patch a movie a few days after it hit theaters.

But why is it necessary? That's like handing in an assignment and then asking the prof for it back two days later to make ammendments. The idea of this this whole thing is just beyond me. Imagine if Hollywood did this, where they had to patch a movie a few days after it hit theaters.

It's that platform holders encourage this nonsense, so publishers/developers do so. Although I must say, I'm a little disappointed, I thought Yu Suzuki was above this type of thing.

The odd thing is, if It's 14 damn gigs, it sounds like a texture/graphics improvement more then bug fixes/stability updates.

He could of just delayed it like 3 days if the game wasn't finished, and no one would've minded, so I don't get this decision of his.

There's all kinds of weird shit about the games industry. Like how games can win awards years before they're even released. Or they can be in 'early access' for the better part of a decade.

But for me the main fallout of the patching issue is that consoles are no longer more appealing than a PC. Both are equally a drag when you have an hour to play a game but then you can't because the game or the console itself needs an update.

When I started out you plugged in a cartridge, hit a power button, and you're playing the game. Ah well, I love em all, but the patch issue is annoying at times.

Imagine if Hollywood did this, where they had to patch a movie a few days after it hit theaters.
My dude, have you ever heard of... Director's Cuts?

Some films undergo further edits and changes from opening at festivals before making it to wide release. Some films release on DVD/Blu-ray with changes some times, like CG improvements or maybe colour grading changes. The Star Wars special editions, even! TV anime sometimes goes to home release with redrawn frames if they aired with errors initially but couldn't be fixed on grueling the production schedule.

There's a saying that films are never finished, just abandoned. Games are kind of the same. If you offered the patching capabilities we have now to studios in the 90s, they would have bitten your damn hand off.

There's all kinds of weird shit about the games industry. Like how games can win awards years before they're even released. Or they can be in 'early access' for the better part of a decade.

But for me the main fallout of the patching issue is that consoles are no longer more appealing than a PC. Both are equally a drag when you have an hour to play a game but then you can't because the game or the console itself needs an update.

When I started out you plugged in a cartridge, hit a power button, and you're playing the game. Ah well, I love em all, but the patch issue is annoying at times.

While that is impart true, the big exception is the Switch, It's a real console, not a repackaged PC. Also for the time being, atleast the fake console can't get viruses...yet, and don't have to deal with OS updates that ruins compatibility(for the most part)

No, it hurts the preservation of Shenmue 3 as well, so there's another reason to be annoyed.
There's no such thing as preservation in gaming anymore (in the sense that you mean). Practically every modern game has patches and DLC. The only exception is GOTY/complete editions of games and even those don't always include everything on disc. People who can't handle this need to accept that gaming has passed them by and stick to only retro consoles.

I'm not saying that I'm necessarily a fan of it either, just that it's a reality of modern gaming and it's completely unrealistic to expect Shenmue III to be any different.

There's no such thing as preservation in gaming anymore (in the sense that you mean). Practically every modern game has patches and DLC. The only exception is GOTY/complete editions of games and even those don't always include everything on disc. People who can't handle this need to accept that gaming has passed them by and stick to only retro consoles.

I'm not saying that I'm necessarily a fan of it either, just that it's a reality of modern gaming and it's completely unrealistic to expect Shenmue III to be any different.

I don't know, I have this big stack of games, fully playable out of the box(a few have DLC sure, but a lot don't).

In short :
Day 1 patches are necessary evils, when pushing back distribution eats money.

I think this is one of the compomise the parties involved had to accept :
*abidding by some cost-saving practice, to save on game quality and price.*

Now. On the long run :
No, it hurts the preservation of Shenmue 3 as well, so there's another reason to be annoyed.
It's very legitimate to will for a proper full game archive.
(That's a reason why I'm OK with waiting for a Shenmue 3 definitive version, to play the game.)

So, I think this is the reality we are dealing with :
>Budgetary and planing/comercial reasons make it required to ship the game with patches.
>Then. Let's hope players that want to archive the game can get it in full at some point.

My view/hope is that Shenmue3 is a game that lives on with time,
in the sense that people will purchase it (more) as time and the saga goes on.

And, if I'm right, then, it's a given, an archivable full game will be available to all, in the end.

I don't know, I have this big stack of games, fully playable out of the box(a few have DLC sure, but a lot don't).
Sure, you can cherry pick the few that are like that (and even then some of them have DLC so they're not "complete"). But if you take the entire library of games from this generation (and even last), the percentage of them that allow you to have the full experience out of the box without an Internet connection and active servers is incredibly low.

Back